Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Diaper Show
midaycare 07:40 AM 09-10-2014
I don't have the best setup for diaper changes, so I need to do it on the floor. I really have no way other way to do it. So I want to ask how can I avoid the diaper "show"? Every time I change a diaper, every dck has to gather around and stare the entire time.

Is it poo poo? Is it pee pee? It's just the most exciting thing around here! It doesn't really bother me, but I feel like the kids getting changed might want a little privacy.
Controlled Chaos 08:03 AM 09-10-2014
Whenever I want to change a habitual behavior we play act it out.
My dcks were running from hurt or sad kids (not wanting to be blamed for hurting them, a side effect of 2 that recently finished up a biting phase). So we play act "being a kind friend". One pretends to be hurt and the other comforts them, helps them up and offers a hug. The kids giggle and get really into it. We do it everyday for a week or so and I have noticed a difference.

So talk about privacy and the pretend to change a diaper and talk the little ones through how far back they should stay and even be silly cover eyes while saying privacy. Even a 2 yo can do it with practice.
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I don't have the best setup for diaper changes, so I need to do it on the floor. I really have no way other way to do it. So I want to ask how can I avoid the diaper "show"? Every time I change a diaper, every dck has to gather around and stare the entire time.

Is it poo poo? Is it pee pee? It's just the most exciting thing around here! It doesn't really bother me, but I feel like the kids getting changed might want a little privacy.
I allow the others to do it...

The ones being changed don't want privacy... they have NO idea what privacy is. If they did, they'd be in underwear already.

Watching others get changed and learning about whether they poo-ed or just peed is a good way to learn about body functions and is a great set up to begin being aware of what our bodies do so that when they begin the potty training process, they will be MORE than familiar with the language and what you are asking/expecting.

Older kids that already use the potty also understand "Go play!" and are expected to. They have no "use" to observe the littles being changed.
melilley 08:16 AM 09-10-2014
I agree with bc. My kids do not mind when someone is watching them get their diaper changed.
All of my kids used to watch, but I think they are bored with it now and rarely do anymore.
NightOwl 08:49 AM 09-10-2014
Funny story....
Dcb 17m saw 2.5 dcg being changed and he noticed she doesn't have a winky. He had the most thoughtful, confused look on his face. He squatted down to get a better look. Still super confused at her lack of winky. Then he looked at me and asked, all gone??
Heidi 08:57 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I allow the others to do it...

The ones being changed don't want privacy... they have NO idea what privacy is. If they did, they'd be in underwear already.

Watching others get changed and learning about whether they poo-ed or just peed is a good way to learn about body functions and is a great set up to begin being aware of what our bodies do so that when they begin the potty training process, they will be MORE than familiar with the language and what you are asking/expecting.

Older kids that already use the potty also understand "Go play!" and are expected to. They have no "use" to observe the littles being changed.

Unregistered 09:08 AM 09-10-2014
I don't really mind if they watch either but my set up is where the bathroom is located right off the main daycare area so I can change diapers and watch the kids at the same time. I also sit on the floor to change facing the door so the kids head is by the door and obviously their bottom is facing me. I tell them,only one at a time so they just stand outside the bathroom and watch. They can't see much but that doesn't stop them from trying. I think it's unsanitary to have other kids in there while I'm changing.Ick! I use disposable changing paper on top of a changing pad and sanitize the floor after every diaper change. Then was my hands and then the kids. I don't need extra kids in my way!
Maggie 09:58 AM 09-10-2014
Mine all do it too and it seems the smellier it is the more fascinating it is.
My almost 3 dcb just informed me last week that baby A is a girl because she has a "hoo-ha" baby C is a boy because he has a "wiener".
midaycare 10:11 AM 09-10-2014
Well with all this feedback I'm not even going to stress then. All of mine are 2.5 or younger, so they can watch and enjoy! And I agree ... the poopier and smellier, the more they need to watch.
CraftyMom 10:20 AM 09-10-2014
I let them watch. If you think about it, they never see their own poop, so they are naturally fascinated by what it looks like! The poop goes in their diaper, they get changed and no more poop. So to see it is just fascinating!
CraftyMom 10:22 AM 09-10-2014
Funny story, I was changing a boy. Dcg 2 is staring then says "what happened? He have a boo-boo? Need a Band-Aid?" Nope, he's just a boy lol

Then we talked about how boys have different parts after I controlled myself from giggling
Luna 10:30 AM 09-10-2014
Funny story: years ago...I was changing my daughters diaper and my son was watching. The expected observations, and I told my son this is what girls look like and boys look like you and daddy. Nope! Me and daddy are different, mine doesn't have a moustache!
Josiegirl 10:37 AM 09-10-2014
OMG some of your kids' responses are hilarious!
I'm really glad you asked this question. I've been feeling funny about changing the oldest, she's 2 1/2, within eye sight of the others but it's where I can keep my eyes on everybody. If I took them into the bathroom to change, the dcks would be tearing the house down.
midaycare 10:44 AM 09-10-2014
These stories are hilarious! I just get the looks like, "One of these is not like the others ..."
melilley 10:48 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
Funny story: years ago...I was changing my daughters diaper and my son was watching. The expected observations, and I told my son this is what girls look like and boys look like you and daddy. Nope! Me and daddy are different, mine doesn't have a moustache!

Blackcat31 10:49 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
These stories are hilarious! I just get the looks like, "One of these is not like the others ..."

My DH was singing that too while I was sharing some of the funny stories posted in this thread...
BrooklynM 11:25 AM 09-10-2014
When my youngest was 3, we were on a long car trip and my daughter was about 5 1/2. My son had to go potty NOW and we were in the middle of nowhere, so we stopped on the side of the road for him to pee. My daughter said- I wish I had one of those to use when I need to go pee! HAHA!
midaycare 11:35 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
When my youngest was 3, we were on a long car trip and my daughter was about 5 1/2. My son had to go potty NOW and we were in the middle of nowhere, so we stopped on the side of the road for him to pee. My daughter said- I wish I had one of those to use when I need to go pee! HAHA!
I have often thought that ... I have such a tiny bladder!
TwinKristi 01:58 PM 09-10-2014
I have all under 3's here so they're still fascinated with diapering and who has poopoos or peepees.
Only one DCB seems curious when I change DCGs diaper and kinda lingers and peeks but I just say go play and he backs off. It's just a little on the creeper status side, no one else seems to really be "looking" as much as observing. I don't make a big deal of it but I don't encourage it either.
Reply Up