Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick, what do you think of this call?
lovemykidstoo 07:45 AM 01-29-2015
Just had a daycare call. A woman called for her daughter that has a 7 month old boy. The mom of the baby works for Michigan Path. Mom says she 'has' to work there because she's on state assistance. Father of the baby is in jail for embezzling $1 million. So daughter and baby live with grandma. So she would be state paid daycare. I charge more than that, so she would need to pay difference. Her schedule rotates, so I told her I don't do rotating days because it takes a full time spot and I don't have room on Wednesdays. The lady says, that should be okay. She could tell them that she can only work Tuesdays and Fridays. Currently I don't work Fridays and haven't for about 7 years. I am considering going back to working Fridays because we need the money, but really only want to do that for at least a 3 or 4 day customer. This just has train wreck written all over it. Daughter is supposed to all me back. Am I overreacting?
Heidi 07:51 AM 01-29-2015
Go with your gut. You can't "save" the world. Do what's best for you.

I had an interview set up for 5 last night. Young mom, two kids (2 years and 3 months), no dad in picture, state assistance, very sweet on phone.

At 4:53 (because I had a feeling), I called to confirm the appt. 2 year old was still sleeping and "he is a bear to wake up. I was JUST going to call you".

Ask more detailed questions (when she called originally I had kids here and awake). She needs care at FIVE am and on weekends, but only 30 hours a week.

NO THANK YOU!
daycare 08:04 AM 01-29-2015
go with your gut~!!!! you know you best.

last week I asked about my employee calling off due to a death in the family and all of you said let it go. My gut told me differently and I am glad I listened to my gut....BECAUSE it was right...
butterfly 08:38 AM 01-29-2015
run!!!!!!!
hope 09:06 AM 01-29-2015
If grandma is calling then run. Mom should call and be responsible for the care of her child. If you take her then she will always try to pass the buck and grandma will want to wash her hands of it. You will be stuck in drama and problems.
Shell 09:18 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
run!!!!!!!

finsup 09:53 AM 01-29-2015
I wouldn't take them....too many red flags.
lovemykidstoo 10:50 AM 01-29-2015
Yea I am definitely not taking this baby. I think the daughter called back but I was on another line and I didn't flip over. Another thing that I thought of is if I take her baby for 2 days a week and I already have a baby that comes 3 days a week( I currently work 4 days), then that would take my infant spot. So, with me considering going back to a 5 day workweek and a full time baby comes along, I would not be able to take the new baby because this one would be taking my spot with only using 2 days. So no way.
Reply Up