Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking For A Storage Solution For My Entry Way
sahm2three 07:47 PM 11-16-2011
Right now I have no real storage for diaper bags, coats, shoes etc. they are just kind of all over the place in my entry way. I am looking for a cubbie type system that doesn't look like it belongs in a daycare, like real furniture. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?
SilverSabre25 08:02 PM 11-16-2011
Something from Ikea?
SilverSabre25 08:03 PM 11-16-2011
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca.../series/19027/
Sugar Magnolia 08:22 PM 11-16-2011
I use and LOVE the closetmaid (?) system available at walmart and target. It costs about 50 bucks and has 12 spaces. The cloth/carboard inserts are $7 for 2. I have 2 of these units and the oldest one is 2 years old and has held up well.
sahm2three 08:49 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I use and LOVE the closetmaid (?) system available at walmart and target. It costs about 50 bucks and has 12 spaces. The cloth/carboard inserts are $7 for 2. I have 2 of these units and the oldest one is 2 years old and has held up well.
Are the cubbies big enough to accomodate diaper bags? I was hoping to find something that a diaper bag and jacket can fit into.
daycare 09:21 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Are the cubbies big enough to accomodate diaper bags? I was hoping to find something that a diaper bag and jacket can fit into.
Don't allow diaper bags. Lots of bad stuff comes with diaper bags. You never know what's in them. People use diaper bags like purses. Dangerous

I have the mesh cubby boxes as some one posted.
I require supplies to be left here for the week. Every Friday or the last day of the week that their child received care parents are required to clean out, refill and take home any project items from it.

Works great for me. I bought a 8 cubby shelf from ikea. I know they Still sell them there.
Abigail 09:25 PM 11-16-2011
Can you custom build something? The units with the drawers are probably 8 inch squares, they would never hold a diaper bag or even just a jacket. You might want to measure how wide of a closet you have and get two medium sized 3-drawer plastic storage containers. You could stack two side by side, or get the narrow 3-drawer plastic carts instead. Avoid putting the wheels on. If you need more than 6 drawers you could buy 4 total and stack them top/bottom and side/side. IF you must store diaper bags (it's in my policies that car seats and diapers bags are NOT allowed in my home), then you better get the wide drawer because it's the only width that is big enough to easily store a diaper bag.
Meeko 07:17 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Don't allow diaper bags. Lots of bad stuff comes with diaper bags. You never know what's in them. People use diaper bags like purses. Dangerous

I have the mesh cubby boxes as some one posted.
I require supplies to be left here for the week. Every Friday or the last day of the week that their child received care parents are required to clean out, refill and take home any project items from it.

Works great for me. I bought a 8 cubby shelf from ikea. I know they Still sell them there.
I don't allow diaper bags either. Haven't for about 10 years. They take up waaay too much room. (And often contain some very weird stuff.....) In the past, I have found baggies with pills etc in diaper bags. Condoms, rude personal notes, half eaten food etc.....yuck. I have also had to call parents and say "Ummm...no diapers in the diaper bag!"

Parents bring a change of clothing when they first enroll. It is kept in the child's cubby. I keep all diapers in the changing area on shelving. No lugging bags back and forth from entry to bathroom. On the first of each month, each parent brings a refill pack of wipes. If I run low on diapers, I write "More please!" on the child's diaper with a black sharpie!

If you get rid of the diaper bags, you'll get rid of a ton of clutter in your entry.
DCMom 08:46 AM 11-17-2011
I got these from IKEA years ago; I can't for the life of me remember the collection they were from, but they have something similar in Grevback collection now.

At the time, my daycare was smaller (6 kids, 4 families) and in the main level of my house. The bifold doors on the front closet drove me nuts! They were always hanging open. So we took them off, took out all the shelving and put in these two units. My daycare has been in the lower level for years and I still use these for my family.

I agree with previous posters, no diaper bags! They aren't necessary~they just take up space and you never know what the heck is in them!
Attached: Front Entry 001.jpg (21.6 KB) Front Entry 002.jpg (22.5 KB) Front Entry 003.jpg (20.5 KB) 
LittleCrawfishCC 09:09 AM 11-17-2011
This is the system I have in my foyer, and it goes great with my foyer table :-)
http://www.target.com/p/Target-Home-...r/-/A-13217324
Plus it holds bookpacks, shoes and jackets in one cube! So I bet it would hold diaper bags.
Tags:entry way, storage, storage organizer - cube
Reply Up