Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick of Parent Nickle and Dime-ing Me!
Crazy Baby 02:20 PM 05-19-2015
Do you all have issues with parents trying to get you to take money off of their bills for every little thing?

Also, it's not crazy to make the parents pay a set rate every two weeks that includes holidays, right?
AmyKidsCo 02:24 PM 05-19-2015
What are they trying to get discounts on? Most DC charge a set amount per day or week, whether the child is there or not.
Kimskiddos 02:29 PM 05-19-2015
Sorry they do that to you, that can't be fun! Maybe I am just lucky, or it could be my experience (been doing this a long time) but my families do not do this! They are paying for a spot in my child care and that rate does not change. I even have 2 kiddos that don't even use all the days in a week but still pay my full time rate.

I am paid monthly and that includes holidays and personal/sick days. My 2 weeks of vacation are technically unpaid, but it's averaged in throughout the whole year. So I get paid the same regardless.
Crazy Baby 02:31 PM 05-19-2015
It's mostly parent wanting to make me feel bad about making them pay for days that they do not come. They are "giving me a break.". Wrote me out an itemized list of what days will be paid for and what days not. I had to remind parent that holidays are still payed for but I know parent is going to give me grief about it. I'm safe because it is in my contract, it's just annoying to have to have these conversations.
Blackcat31 02:37 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
It's mostly parent wanting to make me feel bad about making them pay for days that they do not come. They are "giving me a break.". Wrote me out an itemized list of what days will be paid for and what days not. I had to remind parent that holidays are still payed for but I know parent is going to give me grief about it. I'm safe because it is in my contract, it's just annoying to have to have these conversations.
That would have gotten them an immediate termination. They don't get to tell YOU how to run YOUR business. Especially after THEY signed a contract agreeing to these policies.

If they try to give you a hard time, practice the same response over and over...."If you are unhappy with my services, please submit your notice of withdrawal no later than xx 2015."
Crazy Baby 02:39 PM 05-19-2015
So what is a good argument for why we still charge for holidays? I know that it's our paid vacation but why does the parent have to pay for our vacation?

I'm not against it by any means, I am playing devil's advocate here.
Rockgirl 02:40 PM 05-19-2015
I'd hand them back their list, along with a highlighted page from your contract that explains paid days. I wouldn't have the conversation with them anymore.
Blackcat31 02:46 PM 05-19-2015
So what is a good argument for why we still charge for holidays? I know that it's our paid vacation but why does the parent have to pay for our vacation?

"Rates are based on enrollment NOT on attendance or number of days used."

If a family enrolls at 5 days a week, they pay for 5 days a week. Even if I am only open 4.
Unregistered 02:48 PM 05-19-2015

The same reason why parents get paid holidays/vacation time at their work.
AmyKidsCo 03:53 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That would have gotten them an immediate termination. They don't get to tell YOU how to run YOUR business. Especially after THEY signed a contract agreeing to these policies.
[/i]
My thought was "HELLO? Since when do parents decide which days they pay for and which they don't?" If that want that kind of control they need to hire a nanny, not contract for child care services.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ditto. Professionals get paid vacation. It's as simple as that.
NightOwl 04:43 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Preach
MarinaVanessa 05:22 PM 05-19-2015

I wouldn't even justify it. Honestly my response would be ...

"You were well aware of my payment policy before signing my contract. I understand if the way I run my business is not a good fit for you however you still made the decision to enroll here. If you have changed your mind and have decided to find alternative child care arrangements that's ok. No hard feelings."

Honestly, people act like we duped them into signing the contract when they could have saved themselves a lot of grief by simply reading the contract before they signed it.
Thriftylady 07:11 PM 05-19-2015
My mom that just left because she "couldn't afford my rates" even though she had before and after school for two kids at $40 a week. She told me I was overcharging her for the hours she was using and should have asked for a new contract. She also told me (after telling me she was leaving since she could lie to the state and pay $11 a week for full time this summer), that the only difference between her firing me and her getting fired from her job was I get paid the last two weeks regardless. UM you didn't fire me, you are lying to the state about your ex husband living with you and, you signed the contract. She really only left early because I was requiring my late payment fees of $10 per day. Whatever they act like we cheat them at every turn it seems.
DaveA 05:49 AM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I wouldn't even justify it. Honestly my response would be ...

"You were well aware of my payment policy before signing my contract. I understand if the way I run my business is not a good fit for you however you still made the decision to enroll here. If you have changed your mind and have decided to find alternative child care arrangements that's ok. No hard feelings."

Honestly, people act like we duped them into signing the contract when they could have saved themselves a lot of grief by simply reading the contract before they signed it.
This was my thought. I'm very up front with parents that I run MY (not theirs) business in a matter that puts my family's needs and interests first. You knew what my policies are and you signed the contract. If you have decided that it isn't a good fit with me anymore, no hard feelings & good luck with the new provider.
Unregistered 08:50 AM 05-20-2015

Because that's how YOU run YOUR business. If they don't like it they don't have to come. Their choice.
KidGrind 05:21 PM 05-20-2015

There is no good argument. There shouldn’t be an argument. It’s your policy. You are not interested in providing child care for clients who do not believe in paying during holidays & vacations.
Play Care 03:21 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
There is no good argument. There shouldn’t be an argument. It’s your policy. You are not interested in providing child care for clients who do not believe in paying during holidays & vacations.

I am always somewhat perplexed when a parent says "but that's not how it should be done" or "that's not how other day cares do it" etc.

1. It's in the contract, you read it and agreed to it. That was the time to question it. If you don't agree, you don't sign on. Simple.

2. Do people go in to Macy's and complain "but that's not how Walmart does it!" Of course not.
As with any similar type business there is a lot of similarities and differences - the policy of each company is usually based on what makes the most sense (and what will make the most CENTS ) for that company.
Laurel 06:49 AM 05-21-2015
Then don't have the conversation.

IF and only if you want to give them an explanation you could use this one for them not paying for days because it is "giving you a break". Sorry, had to make a face before I continued. These people are as dumb as rocks....

Okay then. You could say "The reason I do that is for the same reason that you probably wouldn't work for a company if your boss said that you could take the day off (without pay to give you a break) or leave early and work less hours (and paid for less hours)." Sometimes they 'get it' when it is compared to their situation. They don't want their boss to cut their hours to give them a break. They don't want a 'short check'. If you wanted that, you'd take a part time job.

We get paid for holidays because they do and it is a customary practice in the U.S. Sheesh.

YOUR parents are getting ME mad!!!

Laurel
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I am always somewhat perplexed when a parent says "but that's not how it should be done" or "that's not how other day cares do it" etc.
This is the worst ...

"Well, that's why I opened up my own daycare and started my own business. SO that I could run my own business the way that I saw fit and so I didn't have to follow someone else's rules. And honestly, there are so many different ways that each and every single provider runs her daycare that you won't ever walk into one that does it the same as another."

If it were my client and based on the norm in my area I'd probably add in .."If you'd like to find someone that doesn't charge for absences I understand. I'd try to help but the providers I know all charge for them. Let me give you the number to our local resource and referral"

Honestly ... people sometimes act like charging for holidays isn't the norm when it's actually what a lot of providers do nowadays. Things have changed and providers have started seeing themselves as business women so they take themselves serious. It's funny that other people think that we don't deserve paid holidays. It's an average of like 10 days a year
Unregistered 07:49 AM 05-21-2015
Mind a parent comment?

How about this:

"I do this because it simplifies accounting and lets me charge lower prices."

(Huh?)

"Yeah, same reason the pay-as-you-go cell plan charges more per minute than a contract. And overhead always costs you more. It's pretty common, really, and works great for most parents. Some people still prefer to pay by the day, and that's okay. If you're going to be missing more than the usual number of sick/vacation days, that may work out better for you. I just don't offer that here."

I pay my DCP the same amount every week, and it works really well. I can plan for how much it's going to be, and don't have to keep up with how much I owe for which day. Just set a price and stand behind it, like a doctor or attorney or any other professional service would do. No need to get into who deserves what (and not their place to judge what you deserve anyway). If you were considering hiring an attorney and told them you were going to pay them by the job instead of by the hour, you'd get a polite, professional "sorry, we don't do that here", right? It's the same thing.

If you're not getting at least some complaints about it being too expensive, you're probably not charging enough.
itlw8 08:04 PM 05-22-2015
why?? because I do..... If they do not like it I suppose I could make some changes to your contract Instead of my full time rate of $100 a week you may pay the drop in rate and not pay for holidays, vacations or sick days. Drop in rate is $5 an hour with a minimum 4 hours or $30 a day... but be aware you may be replaced with out notice when a full time client wants to enroll.
Tags:holiday rates, paid holidays, paid sick days, paid vacations, payment - bi-weekly, payment drama
Reply Up