Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With Infants Outdoors?
KEG123 11:37 AM 01-31-2012
So most of kids are 2-4, so they play. But my daughter will be around 6 months in April, so 7-9 months through the summer months. What do you all have outside for babies to do? The only thing I can really think of is a (smaller) splash pool when they other kids are doing water play in the (bigger) kiddie pool.
Daycaremomof2 11:43 AM 01-31-2012
I need help with that too. When my daughter was 6 months she sat in the swing outside. Once she started crawling she didn't want to be in the swing, she wanted to eat everything, and she would not stand to stay in a super yard. Ugh, it was so stressful. Now shes almost 1 and I still need help figuring out how to keep her safe with all of the big kids swinging, etc.
karen 11:47 AM 01-31-2012
I put my babies in a playpen they are bigger than a pnp. I just rotate the toys daily.
KEG123 11:50 AM 01-31-2012
I do have an extra pnp I could take outside if necessary...
kidkair 12:54 PM 01-31-2012
I keep a pnp ready for when I can't be right beside them. I lay them down and encourage them to explore the grass and stuff on the ground. I make sure there are no choking hazards but let them stuff grass and flowers in their mouth and help them get it back out if they don't like it. I give them balls and rattles to play with. I keep them out of the sand box until they are really good at sitting themselves up and learning to not stuff everything in their mouths. I keep water available to rinse their mouths if need be but eating dirt is a part of childhood so I let them do it.
KEG123 10:54 AM 02-02-2012
I don't think I really want my daughter eating dirt... LOL I don't mind her playing in the grass, though.

I mean, are there outdoor toys your babies like?
SunflowerMama 11:03 AM 02-02-2012
I lay out a huge blanket then on top of that place a superyard. Inside the superyard I have a few toys for them to play with and baby books. Keeps them safe from the older kids and they still have enough room to crawl around and explore.

Here is a picture of the superyard...just for those that may not know what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...8209314&sr=8-1
CrayolaKids 11:05 AM 02-02-2012
I have a play area...kind of like a supergate. It has toys on the panels of it but I also take out other baby toys to keep them occupied. I've taken out the excersaucer to entertain them, but I don't really have any bigger toys outside that are age appropriate for the little ones...well besides the doors on the playhouses (the crawlers LOVE to open and close the doors and windows )

Here is a link to the play yard:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Playzon...8209689&sr=8-3
caring4kidsinSD 11:25 AM 02-02-2012
I put them in a pack n play, an exersaucer I found at a garage sale for $5, A walker(even though they can't 'walk' in it per say, they like to look around at the other kids and I put toys on the tray), a blanket, the swing.
KEG123 09:01 AM 02-03-2012
Do you all have a outdoor area to store toys? A shed or something? Or do you bring the items in and out?
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 02-03-2012
Grab a cheap section of the green indoor/outdoor carpeting (about 20 sq feet is perfect).

Put a round superyard on top of it, drop in a bag of indoor toys (I prefer ball pit refill balls because they are EASY to clean).... Instant outdoor baby playground. You can even hammer an umbrella into the ground for sun protection.

When you are coming in just bring the superyard back in and roll up the carpet to store on the porch; no dead grass.

I still use the wading pools as ballpits for the littles, though. They LOVE them.
KEG123 09:17 AM 02-03-2012
Another good idea. Gives me more to think about.

Do you all have problems with the littles moving the super/play yards around? I was reading some reviews that said their kids did.
Cat Herder 09:18 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Another good idea. Gives me more to think about.

Do you all have problems with the littles moving the super/play yards around? I was reading some reviews that said their kids did.
Cheap tent spikes stop that outdoors..... Just hammer them in.

At walmart in the camping section.
KEG123 09:39 AM 02-03-2012
Awesomeeee! So full of ideas!
Tags:infant - outdoor activities
Reply Up