Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Have Handled This The Same?
Scout 08:28 AM 01-02-2013
I kept smelling pee...gross, I know. I thought it was DS from his Pull up being too wet on his belly. I told him to go get a wipe & in the mean time realized it was DCB blankie! YUK! He told me he peed on it!!!

I sent mom a text saying "Did you know DCB peed on his blankie? You may want to wash it tonight because it is pretty stinky! Or I can wash it today if you want!!"

Really needs done no matter who does it!
SilverSabre25 08:31 AM 01-02-2013
Nope! I would have taken the blanket and tossed it in the wash without even asking!! Some things just need done.
williams2008 08:34 AM 01-02-2013
I would've just washed it myself as well! If some of your dcp's are like mine they don't even bother checking the kids bag when it gets home
daycarediva 08:44 AM 01-02-2013
GROSS!

A former dcb had a SEVERE attachment to his lovie. His mother said she could NEVER take it away from dcb because he would scream. I got it down to naps only here. One day I opened dck's backpack to get out the lovie for naptime and it was in a plastic bag, I opened it and it was damp with urine! I almost gagged! I called Mom at work. Dcb had peed through that morning in bed and she didn't have time to wash it, so it went from his wet bed to his bag. GROSS! THAT DAY I told her she needed to order/purchase the same lovie for my house so that I could wash it DAILY. It was SO DISGUSTING that she actually expected it to be dry----and for me to use it with dcb! What makes it even worse is that dcb slept with the nose part of his lovie IN HIS MOUTH so she actually wanted him to suck on it with urine on it!
Scout 09:44 AM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
GROSS!

A former dcb had a SEVERE attachment to his lovie. His mother said she could NEVER take it away from dcb because he would scream. I got it down to naps only here. One day I opened dck's backpack to get out the lovie for naptime and it was in a plastic bag, I opened it and it was damp with urine! I almost gagged! I called Mom at work. Dcb had peed through that morning in bed and she didn't have time to wash it, so it went from his wet bed to his bag. GROSS! THAT DAY I told her she needed to order/purchase the same lovie for my house so that I could wash it DAILY. It was SO DISGUSTING that she actually expected it to be dry----and for me to use it with dcb! What makes it even worse is that dcb slept with the nose part of his lovie IN HIS MOUTH so she actually wanted him to suck on it with urine on it!
Really, I mean really people, come on!! YUK!!!!
Scout 09:45 AM 01-02-2013
Guess who is washing it after nap?, along with his sheet! I think it's been stinky for a while but, today was over the top strong.
countrymom 10:36 AM 01-02-2013
for things like this, I wouldn't have contacted the parents. I just go and wash it. Heck, I've washed several blankies here because its a pet peeve of mine (I like things to smell like my house)
wdmmom 10:59 AM 01-02-2013
This is another reason why i dont allow blankets brought in anymore.
Scout 12:33 PM 01-02-2013
I didn't contact for permission as much as to say "hey, do ya think dcb's blankie can be washed every once in a while?"...I can tell it hasn't been in a long time cus it came out a lot lighter!
littlemissmuffet 12:41 PM 01-02-2013
I don't allow blankies/lovies to come and go, once they are here they STAY here. I'd have just washed it and never even mentioned it to mom.
Crystal 12:47 PM 01-02-2013
I would have just washed it too, BUT I would definitely mention it to Mom and tell her to not send a pee blanket to my house again. That is rude and disgusting.
e.j. 04:43 PM 01-02-2013
Yuck! Guess I'm the odd man out. I would have stuck it in a plastic bag and sealed it. At pick up, I would have told dcm that the blanket can't come back to my house until it's washed.
momofboys 04:49 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Yuck! Guess I'm the odd man out. I would have stuck it in a plastic bag and sealed it. At pick up, I would have told dcm that the blanket can't come back to my house until it's washed.
This!!! While I may be doing a load of laundry during the day I certainly am not going to stick a urine-drenched item in with my family's clothes! Totally gross - and I am not doing a separate load for this blanket.
nanglgrl 08:07 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Exactly! I don't launder my daycare children's items. If it needs laundered their parents can do it. I would have put it back in the bag and told mom not to bring it back to my house.
TBird 08:29 PM 01-02-2013
I have to check but I think it's regulation in my state that we NOT wash the children's soiled clothes & such. I would have probably washed the blanket though because any items brought in become the property of my daycare. Either that or don't bring them in.

Crazy story....

I had a baby whose pampers were too small so they would leak pee out onto his clothes. Mom knew the pampers were too small but you know the syndrome....gotta finish up the pack. Anyway, he wet one day at nap time after drinking a full cup & his jeans were soaking wet. I put them in a plastic bag & sent them home in his bag. Well, mom must have forgotten that they were in there (we told her at pickup time) and she didn't open it until several days later.

I got several FRANTIC calls from her that night asking me if we let her child get into a bottle of AMMONIA!!! She was DEAD SERIOUS and although my grandmother was on her death bed, I spent the better half of 30 minutes explaining to her how pee turns into ammonia if left to ferment for DAYS!!! I told her that we would NEVER expose a child to ammonia & if anything like that had happened she would have been the first to know. She went on to tell me that she got backup confirmation that it smelled like ammonia spilled on him from her 12 year old step daughter.

Now I was about to give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe....just maybe....she was a first time parent & didn't know any better but as soon as she brought the 12 year old's opinion into the mix....UH UH. Needless to say, she is no longer with us.
crazydaycarelady 07:47 AM 01-03-2013
I would have just washed it myself. But at pick-up I would mention that it reeked of pee but I washed it and now it smells great! I try not to contact the parents during their workday unless there is an issue that needs dealt with immediately (usually only illness.)
daycaremom76 08:20 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I don't allow blankies/lovies to come and go, once they are here they STAY here. I'd have just washed it and never even mentioned it to mom.
I am the same way! All my kids have a seperate blankie/lovie and stuffed animal for here. They NEVER go home unless the child is terminated. Each child has their own cubbie with a bin in the bottom that they keep them in and at the end of the week I just throw everything in the wash so I know it's clean! If I had to rely on dcp's to do any of that then they would never remember to bring it back Monday morning!
Reply Up