Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UPDATE: Overly Medicated Child
littlemommy 11:01 AM 11-22-2011
I posted a month or so ago about terming a child due to his mother overly medicating him. It was reported to CPS, and I've wondered how things have gone for him, but had no way of finding out due to confidentiality.

I know the daycare provider he is going to now, and I talked to her today. Before she started watching him, I told her how DCM constantly wanted him on meds and that I was not comfortable with that. She said that she would give it a try-she was desperate for enrollment.

Today she told me that he was sick with a fever for a while and just wasn't himself, but mom kept saying it was teething (what she always told me, too.) He was in the hospital here with a fever of 103, and doctors couldn't figure anything out. They sent him to a children's hospital 2 hours away, where his fever went up to 106 for a few days. Doctors figured out there that his kidneys were severely infected.

Can that be from her over-medicating him? That was my first thought. The boy is rather small for his age, very picky eater, very whiny/clingy, and either slept all day long or not at all. Not sure if those can be from the infection or not.
nannyde 11:07 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I posted a month or so ago about terming a child due to his mother overly medicating him. It was reported to CPS, and I've wondered how things have gone for him, but had no way of finding out due to confidentiality.

I know the daycare provider he is going to now, and I talked to her today. Before she started watching him, I told her how DCM constantly wanted him on meds and that I was not comfortable with that. She said that she would give it a try-she was desperate for enrollment.

Today she told me that he was sick with a fever for a while and just wasn't himself, but mom kept saying it was teething (what she always told me, too.) He was in the hospital here with a fever of 103, and doctors couldn't figure anything out. They sent him to a children's hospital 2 hours away, where his fever went up to 106 for a few days. Doctors figured out there that his kidneys were severely infected.

Can that be from her over-medicating him? That was my first thought. The boy is rather small for his age, very picky eater, very whiny/clingy, and either slept all day long or not at all. Not sure if those can be from the infection or not.
YES

Please please call child protective again and tell them of this hospitalization. They NEED to get ahold of his Doctors so he can be properly treated.

I would ask SPECIFICALLY for the supervisor at child protective and get her/his name, phone number, and title. I would tell them that you want documentation of this complaint because you fear this child may loose his life and you want to make SURE you have documentation that you did EVERYTHING you could to protect him.

Knowing that he has had significant daily exposure to this medication could be the difference of saving his life and loosing him.
Unregistered 11:07 AM 11-22-2011
This is just an educated guess, but since he's a small kid and the mom was medicating him a lot, maybe she was giving him too much at each dose? Tylenol and Motrin can both cause kidney damage if used too much. Another thought here is that the infection wasn't properly treated if the child wasn't on antibiotics for the infection and all that the mom was doing was trying to reduce the fever. It would make sense that the infection would get worse.
littlemommy 11:13 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
YES

Please please call child protective again and tell them of this hospitalization. They NEED to get ahold of his Doctors so he can be properly treated.

I would ask SPECIFICALLY for the supervisor at child protective and get her/his name, phone number, and title. I would tell them that you want documentation of this complaint because you fear this child may loose his life and you want to make SURE you have documentation that you did EVERYTHING you could to protect him.

Knowing that he has had significant daily exposure to this medication could be the difference of saving his life and loosing him.
Would they listen to me knowing that I've only heard this information second hand? Another thought I had...if he was that sick and being hospitalized, is there any way doctors can see that CPS was contacted about over-medicating? I'm guessing not, and I know the mother would lie to them if they asked how much he was on.
Zoe 11:15 AM 11-22-2011
Would they listen to me knowing that I've only heard this information second hand? Another thought I had...if he was that sick and being hospitalized, is there any way doctors can see that CPS was contacted about over-medicating? I'm guessing not, and I know the mother would lie to them if they asked how much he was on.
Then get the provider you talked to to call CPS, have her mention you as a previous provider and tell her to give CPS your info so they can talk to you as another resource of information. You both need to get CPS informed of this! It sounds really scary.

Thanks for updating us!
littlemommy 11:16 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is just an educated guess, but since he's a small kid and the mom was medicating him a lot, maybe she was giving him too much at each dose? Tylenol and Motrin can both cause kidney damage if used too much. Another thought here is that the infection wasn't properly treated if the child wasn't on antibiotics for the infection and all that the mom was doing was trying to reduce the fever. It would make sense that the infection would get worse.
I don't know what dosages she was giving him, as she NEVER told me how much of what and when to give him. She had 8 meds in his bag and told me to give them every couple hours.

Obviously I didn't feel right giving him anything, especially since there was nothing wrong with him. Teething doesn't need 8 meds. She was mixing prescription and over the counter, and 3 of 4 of the meds she was giving him weren't meant for children under the age of 2 or 6, so how did she know how much to give him?!

I'm in complete shock that this is happening. I'm scared for him!
cheerfuldom 11:16 AM 11-22-2011
They will listen to you when the complaint is verified. He IS in the hospital, that is no secret. Knowing his past and present issues, his current provider should be talking to CPS too.
littlemommy 11:17 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Then get the provider you talked to to call CPS, have her mention you as a previous provider and tell her to give CPS your info so they can talk to you as another resource of information. You both need to get CPS informed of this! It sounds really scary.

Thanks for updating us!
Honestly, I don't think the other provider would call. She knows I did, and she gets along okay with the mom, better than I did. Maybe I could still call and then give them the current provider's name and contact info so they know I'm not making it up.
nannyde 11:21 AM 11-22-2011
They have NO choice but to listen to you. You have an ongoing complaint with them.
daycare 11:29 AM 11-22-2011
YES. OMG so sad and so scary. I was on medication for an illness years ago. I was on it for almost 5 years and then guess what. My kidneys failed.

I would call right now. I am so sorry that you are still having to deal with this.

Big hugs to you.....

Just know this, you can make a difference. Don't give up...
MsMe 11:30 AM 11-22-2011
Honestly, I don't think the other provider would call. She knows I did, and she gets along okay with the mom, better than I did. Maybe I could still call and then give them the current provider's name and contact info so they know I'm not making it up.
She is a mandatory reporter and she has seen the over medication, you are telling her you saw it as well, and now the child has been in the hospital....she doesn't have any choice but to call.

The right choice is not always easy convinent. This Mother is going to kill her child.
Zoe 11:30 AM 11-22-2011
That's a good idea, if your provider friend won't do it. You seem to be the only one that's really concerned about this kid (from what I've gathered), so do whatever you can. Be a pest about it too! Who cares as long as the kid get the help he needs. Oh. poor baby. This is so terrible. That kid is so lucky to have you, even if he isn't in your care anymore.
SilverSabre25 11:33 AM 11-22-2011
(((HUGS))) How scary! Definitely call CPS and give them the new provider's information. You're still a mandatory reported, so it seems perfectly logical to me.

I'll be thinking of that poor kid and hoping that everything works out for him and he pulls through this okay!
Ariana 11:34 AM 11-22-2011
This is so sad Please do what you can for this kid. We're behind you 100%.
nannyde 11:39 AM 11-22-2011
Aren't you so so so glad you listened to us and stood up to this Mom? I hope you took my advice on holding onto a diaper.

This provider friend of yours is in serious risk of having a kid die on her watch. She needs to be SUPER vigilant with the kid and understand that she can't be a part of medicating him without a current docs order with specific dosages time frames, etc.

She also needs to keep diapers for evidence. Date, double bag, and freeze.
momofsix 06:45 PM 11-22-2011

It's been "forever" since I took any health/biology etc. so I'm confused. I could understand how over medicating could lead to kidney failure but how does it lead to a kidney infection? Would this be b/c of the antibiotics not working anymore b/c they've been overused?
(I feel so ignorant!)
I feel so sad for this poor guy and I hope his mom doesn't get away with the harm she's done to this precious child. Please keep us posted on how you follow up and how he's doing.
sharlan 06:56 PM 11-22-2011
I would call the hospital and leave an anonymous message for the doctor. You don't need the doctor's name, just leave a message with the nursing station.
cheerfuldom 07:32 PM 11-22-2011
Leaving a message for his doctor is not a bad idea....doctor's are mandated reporters too.

I had one situation similar to this where the mom was giving Tylenol every morning before drop off because baby was fussy, and again every evening. We had to talk about it but thankfully, she stopped immediately, not knowing that Tylenol is not a cure-all and not safe for constant use. Some people think that Tylenol is just as safe as a bandaid.
Crystal 07:48 PM 11-22-2011
This is a VERY confidential case you are discussing on a public forum. I mean no offense, but I HIGHLY recommend you request this thread being removed.
Christian Mother 08:30 PM 11-22-2011
Ashually, I think that if we as the provider where in that same situation and was told by another provider about their daycare child being in the hospital for kidney failure and you had known the history of the child it would be that provider and your self responsibly for notifying CPS of it. They need to have something on file bc it wasn't just a accident this child went to the hospital it was bc the parent continued to give that child med. after med. which is just plain not safe. Given the history of this child it's the responsibility of the provider and I think also the old provider since she too also knew this childs history. I would call the hospital my self and ask if that child was still there and if so I would advise them of the inform. she knows she can mention her connection to the patient. We as providers spend quiet a bit of time w/ children. We see and hear and know what is going on. She could be a big help. Trying to sensor or remove this post should NOT be done as OP is asking for our help on this very serious matter...something that anyone of us could be faced with down the line. It's about a childs life at stack and if you could help even a little bit then you should no matter the consequences.
nannyde 02:28 AM 11-23-2011
She was also giving him over the counter cough medicines that are not for kids under six.
Crystal 09:09 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Ashually, I think that if we as the provider where in that same situation and was told by another provider about their daycare child being in the hospital for kidney failure and you had known the history of the child it would be that provider and your self responsibly for notifying CPS of it. They need to have something on file bc it wasn't just a accident this child went to the hospital it was bc the parent continued to give that child med. after med. which is just plain not safe. Given the history of this child it's the responsibility of the provider and I think also the old provider since she too also knew this childs history. I would call the hospital my self and ask if that child was still there and if so I would advise them of the inform. she knows she can mention her connection to the patient. We as providers spend quiet a bit of time w/ children. We see and hear and know what is going on. She could be a big help. Trying to sensor or remove this post should NOT be done as OP is asking for our help on this very serious matter...something that anyone of us could be faced with down the line. It's about a childs life at stack and if you could help even a little bit then you should no matter the consequences.
Actually, it does need to be removed. Like I said....this info is HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL. The child's new provider shouldn't even be discussing it with the old provider. This OP was not asking for help here. She was sharing confidential information and asking if the child's condition may be related to something she previously reported. The answer is simple. Remove this post and contact CPS about the new turn of events.
nannyde 09:42 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Actually, it does need to be removed. Like I said....this info is HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL. The child's new provider shouldn't even be discussing it with the old provider. This OP was not asking for help here. She was sharing confidential information and asking if the child's condition may be related to something she previously reported. The answer is simple. Remove this post and contact CPS about the new turn of events.
Removing it needs to be Michael's decision but I'm fine with it staying. I don't see the risk you see I guess. There's no identifying info that I can see. Am I missing something? Is the OP out here with her real name?

I think the importance of this thread is that when there are serious issues that are complex and occur over time... they need to be discussed so that providers can see that there isn't one step answers... or one step conculsions. When it comes to health and safety stuff... where we SAY there could be something life threatening... it's important to discuss the next phase where there is ANOTHER indication that it may be life threatening.

It's not just words that it "may" harm the child. We have to really consider that it could be real and is really harming the kid.

The part of confidentiality... well you are probably right that the two providers shouldn't be talking to each other BUT .. in the real world... when a provider gets the $hit scared out of her... she's likely to talk... specially when it's something that could eventually rock her world and where a baby is concerned.

I don't think it's too likely that the parent will come across this and figure it out BUT ya never know. I guess we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

I'm not the one who decides these things so it's not up to me anyway but I'm just not seeing the high risk here. If we deleted every post where a provider is currently doing something we deem as unprofessional we would have a lot less threads here.
Christian Mother 09:58 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Removing it needs to be Michael's decision but I'm fine with it staying. I don't see the risk you see I guess. There's no identifying info that I can see. Am I missing something? Is the OP out here with her real name?

I think the importance of this thread is that when there are serious issues that are complex and occur over time... they need to be discussed so that providers can see that there isn't one step answers... or one step conculsions. When it comes to health and safety stuff... where we SAY there could be something life threatening... it's important to discuss the next phase where there is ANOTHER indication that it may be life threatening.

It's not just words that it "may" harm the child. We have to really consider that it could be real and is really harming the kid.

The part of confidentiality... well you are probably right that the two providers shouldn't be talking to each other BUT .. in the real world... when a provider gets the $hit scared out of her... she's likely to talk... specially when it's something that could eventually rock her world and where a baby is concerned.

I don't think it's too likely that the parent will come across this and figure it out BUT ya never know. I guess we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

I'm not the one who decides these things so it's not up to me anyway but I'm just not seeing the high risk here. If we deleted every post where a provider is currently doing something we deem as unprofessional we would have a lot less threads here.
Nope, I don't think so...Nan's write there was nothing indicating who the OP is or the other provider nor the family involved her. Should the other provider discuss her new guys biz. That's up to her if she wants to share. Personally I have a provider friend we talk all the time out about our kids and families. The SAME thing I do here. Is it confidential...sure...everything we say on here or to others CAN BE DEEMED CONFIDENTIAL.
littlemommy 11:27 AM 11-23-2011
First of all I just want to thank all of you ladies for your support. This has been emotionally hard on me because I feel like I am the only one sticking up for this poor child.

I came here to get opinions and advice, because I know his new provider does not see exactly how dangerous this all is. She feels bad for the boys mother because she is a single mom, and the provider is older and wants to "play mom" to her. Provider has told me that she wants to give her advice and not get her in trouble, but wants to be a motherly figure to her.

I don't want people to get in trouble, or have kids taken from their parents, but I want to know that I have done everything I have done to help. I don't see any harm in posting on here, as I am not giving out any names. I'm here for advice and people's opinions, just as you all are.
littlemommy 11:31 AM 11-23-2011
I told my friend provider what happened before I terminated because I knew this mother had been in contact with her (she was her "backup" provider.) I haven't asked how he's been or anything, she just called me to tell me what happened.
Unregistered 12:06 PM 11-23-2011
I think the provider did the right thing by telling the old provider. The rules in my state say:

The provider shall not disclose any records on children in care to any persons other than the parents of the child, the agency, the department, caregivers and medical or public safety persons if information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the child.

It clearly states that sharing what she did was necessary to protect the health and safety of the child. I know the OP's state rules may differ but I can see where she feels she is clearly protecting the child's health and safety.
Crystal 12:20 PM 11-23-2011
FTR, I am not trying to be argumentative with anyone. I TRULY feel that it is highly risky to discuss this on a public forum.It HAS happened in the past, that a provider has given NO identifying info and the parent has found it - on THIS forum, SEVERAL times since I have been a member.

OP, I am just trying to protect you.
littlemommy 12:27 PM 11-23-2011
Thanks Crystal. I understand that there is a chance she could run across this, but I don't see how I could get in any trouble. I'm just trying to get advice and look out for this kid.

FWIW, if CPS has contacted her about the matter, she would know right away that it was me that called in, since I termed her and told her that I wasn't comfortable with him being on that much medication. She would definitely know it was me.
Crystal 01:18 PM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Nope, I don't think so...Nan's write there was nothing indicating who the OP is or the other provider nor the family involved her. Should the other provider discuss her new guys biz. That's up to her if she wants to share. Personally I have a provider friend we talk all the time out about our kids and families. The SAME thing I do here. Is it confidential...sure...everything we say on here or to others CAN BE DEEMED CONFIDENTIAL.
Nah. I don't say ANYTHING here that could be deemed confidential. I NEVER talk about my families or ask for advice about my families here. EVER. I know better.
nannyde 01:20 PM 11-23-2011
FTR, I am not trying to be argumentative with anyone. I TRULY feel that it is highly risky to discuss this on a public forum.It HAS happened in the past, that a provider has given NO identifying info and the parent has found it - on THIS forum, SEVERAL times since I have been a member.

OP, I am just trying to protect you.
I think the risk is low AND you have a situation where the response has been pretty negative to all the meds given to this kid.

I think it's SUCH an important convo to have because we need to hammer home the concept that parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.

This thread and the ones about it before are a classic text book case of a parent wanting a provider to do something that is NOT in the best interest of the kid. It's also a CLASSIC case of medicating teething and a kid "needing" meds and admittance into day care with tylenol on board based on teething.

Tylenol and "teething" are the gateway into bringing a sick kid into child care. It's a HUGE problem in centers and home child care. My hope is that infant and childrens tylenol is taken OFF the market just like the cold medicine. It needs to be by perscription only and usage needs to be tracked. I hope that for childrens advil too.
littlemommy 02:36 PM 11-23-2011
[/quote]This thread and the ones about it before are a classic text book case of a parent wanting a provider to do something that is NOT in the best interest of the kid. It's also a CLASSIC case of medicating teething and a kid "needing" meds and admittance into day care with tylenol on board based on teething.

Tylenol and "teething" are the gateway into bringing a sick kid into child care. It's a HUGE problem in centers and home child care. My hope is that infant and childrens tylenol is taken OFF the market just like the cold medicine. It needs to be by perscription only and usage needs to be tracked. I hope that for childrens advil too
.[/quote]

Yes. When the current provider told me about him being sick (before he went to the hospital) the mom was telling her he was just teething and needed more meds. Um..teething doesn't bring on a 103 fever! For someone that is going into nursing, it's sad that she didn't know that. And the meds she was wanting him on were crazy. She never even told me dosages or when she last gave anything, just kept texting me throughout the day to remind me that he needed tylenol, lidocaine, or whatever other concoction was in his bag.

I will no longer give meds at my house. Too much of a risk for me. Seems like I learn something from every family that I work with!
Christian Mother 04:58 PM 11-23-2011
Nah. I don't say ANYTHING here that could be deemed confidential. I NEVER talk about my families or ask for advice about my families here. EVER. I know better.
I think I have many times ashually...but for me it's unavoidable..I'm a open book. If you meet me in person you'd know what I mean by that. I tell it like it is, I don't hold back...well, I do stop to think first of course...but I generally am prob. one of those providers that should be quiet more often but don't. I am super easy going but I do have a back bone..sometimes...!! I talk talk talk everyone's ears off..yes...I'm that type of provider
Michelle 07:21 PM 11-27-2011
This thread is really important because there are many parents and providers that do not know the dangers of medicines. It's like there's an over the counter med for everything!
Parents generally do what their parents did. Tylenol and orajel for teething... Dimatap or whatever for runny nose.... etc. and now there have been so many studies done where some of these meds can cause brain bleeds, liver damage... I just don't give any baby any meds unless it's by prescription and that's only antibiotic or breathing meds. and I do a case by case basis.

Hope the little guy is o.k.
keep us updated
Unregistered 04:58 PM 05-07-2013
I just had my daycare call CPS on me for this very same thing. I was giving my 1 year old ibuprofen and Tylenol to reduce his fever under the direction of an ER doctor who told me the exact dosages and times to give them to him. Being over the counter meds, the boxes also say "not for children under 2." Again, I was following the directions of a doctor. You know, those people who go to school for so many years to know what they are talking about? I was also giving him a prescription expectorant because the doc heard fluid in his lungs and a prescription antibiotic because he had an ear infection. Lastly, I was giving him dimatapp cold and allergy because his sinuses were stuffed up and I was also giving that over the counter med to my son under the direction of a doc even though the box it came in said: not for children under two.

I do not have my daycare give my child his meds because its a hassle. Its easier for me to go there on my lunch break and give him his meds myself. But did you ever think that maybe your not giving the child the meds he needs is why he never got better? It's hard enough having a sick child. A parent does not need the additional hard ship of having a moron at the child's daycare turn them into CPS for following doctors orders.
Kaddidle Care 05:01 PM 05-07-2013
If he's sick enough to be taking all of those meds then he shouldn't be in Daycare.
Happy Hearts 05:23 PM 05-07-2013
I just had my daycare call CPS on me for this very same thing. I was giving my 1 year old ibuprofen and Tylenol to reduce his fever under the direction of an ER doctor who told me the exact dosages and times to give them to him. Being over the counter meds, the boxes also say "not for children under 2." Again, I was following the directions of a doctor. You know, those people who go to school for so many years to know what they are talking about? I was also giving him a prescription expectorant because the doc heard fluid in his lungs and a prescription antibiotic because he had an ear infection. Lastly, I was giving him dimatapp cold and allergy because his sinuses were stuffed up and I was also giving that over the counter med to my son under the direction of a doc even though the box it came in said: not for children under two.

I do not have my daycare give my child his meds because its a hassle. Its easier for me to go there on my lunch break and give him his meds myself. But did you ever think that maybe your not giving the child the meds he needs is why he never got better? It's hard enough having a sick child. A parent does not need the additional hard ship of having a moron at the child's daycare turn them into CPS for following doctors orders.
Do not feed the troll.
Former Teacher 05:33 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
Do not feed the troll.

Kaddidle Care 05:50 PM 05-07-2013

Alas.. I have been edited.
Cradle2crayons 06:13 PM 05-07-2013
My thoughts on this... First... Call CPs asap

Secondly, no identifying information has been given about the family so no laws on confidentiality were broken. That would be like me giving an example of a patient I took care in the hospital related to their kidney transplant. As long as I don't give out identifying information, it's completely legal.

If the parents were on the board and saw this they would have no recourse because no laws are being broken. Sure, they might not be happy about it, but ohh well.

Thirdly, it seems to me that the OP talking to the current provider had every right to ask questions since she has a case against the mom with cups already and it did in fact relate to the health and safety of the child involved.

Lastly... C a l l CPS.l. Do it ASAP.
nannyde 06:20 PM 05-07-2013

I don't allow children to attend on any fever reducers for ANY reason. I don't care if jesus himself prescribed it. Your kid is way way too sick to be in child care. Period

Did you know BEFORE you had a kid that it would be hard?
Cradle2crayons 06:34 PM 05-07-2013
There were times when my daughter was on a lot of meds...Zyrtec, Zantac, two different nebulizers, singular, and that was when she was WELL. When she was sick, three or four more were added to her regular medications. I didn't trust anyone to give those medications. Only me.

The times she wasn't sick, and still was taking four or five medications for maintenance, I don't see any reason at all she could not have gone to daycare. Those were not sick meds, those were helping to keep her well.

I think it's a bit strange to say kids on several meds shouldn't go to daycare... Maybe referring to sick meds???

I do agree however that in a daycare setting on general, Tylenol and ibuprofen shouldn't be needed to be administered in a regular basis.

Also important to say, my daughter was on several meds over the years that were labeled for kids over two or over six. Her pediatrician gave me a list of several decongestants and OTC meds that had her weights and dosages on them. Just because it says not for under two or six doesn't mean they can't be given at dosages that a doctor says to give. And usually you don't have to take a child in to the doctor to get a recommendation for the dosage of dimetapp.

A being said, since I wasn't in the situation I'm unsure as to what meds and what dosages this mom was giving this kid. But eight different meds to be given only when they are sick does seem a bit much. But to be fair, there were several times my daughter was on her five prescription meds, then got sick and was on four more.
Lyss 06:41 PM 05-07-2013
2011 thread

Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
Do not feed the troll.

Tags:medication
Reply Up