Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Client Request
Snowmom 11:48 AM 01-12-2015
I had a new dcg start last month.
Today, I get a text from dcm asking if next month when they go on vacation (without dcg), if I would open up an hour early for their sister to drop off dcg. It's one day out of the week, and part of me thinks, NO- because it adds on an extra hour to my already 10 hour day. Another part of me thinks, oh, just be helpful and do it this once (of course I WILL CHARGE).
WWYD?
Controlled Chaos 11:59 AM 01-12-2015
I would open an hour early for $10 fee. I like opportunities that allow me to look like I am doing families and favor and make more money at the same time
preschoolteacher 12:09 PM 01-12-2015
I wouldn't do it. I open at 7 AM and that's plenty early for me, especially because it's a 10 hour day. How early are they asking you to open?

Basically, she's inconveniencing you because she doesn't want to inconvenience her sister.
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I would open an hour early for $10 fee. I like opportunities that allow me to look like I am doing families and favor and make more money at the same time
Agreed!
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I had a new dcg start last month.
Today, I get a text from dcm asking if next month when they go on vacation (without dcg), if I would open up an hour early for their sister to drop off dcg. It's one day out of the week, and part of me thinks, NO- because it adds on an extra hour to my already 10 hour day. Another part of me thinks, oh, just be helpful and do it this once (of course I WILL CHARGE).
WWYD?
Also want to mention that you can't do it, unless you listed your business hours to include that particular time.

If you listed your hours of operation from 6-6, you cannot care for kids before 6. Your insurance will not allow it and it's not allowed by the state.
Snowmom 12:32 PM 01-12-2015
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it!

Black Cat, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "the state will not allow it".
jenboo 12:41 PM 01-12-2015
I would do it for $10 each extra hour. Legally, my hours are 6-6 but I only operate 7-530.
My parents also know that if I agree to hours outside of my standard hours, the kids watch TV while I go about my normal routine (I'm a no TV daycare)
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 01-12-2015
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it!

Black Cat, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "the state will not allow it".
In MN, we are required to list on our licensing paperwork our business hours.
This should have been something you were required to submit when you applied for your license.

State regulations say we are NOT allowed to provide care outside of those hours.

Anytime we change hours, we are to let our licensor know this.
nannyde 03:18 PM 01-12-2015
You can also blame it on your insurance.
Snowmom 05:56 PM 01-12-2015
Huh. 7 years licensed and it never even occurred to me that I couldn't work what hours I wanted to. I sent an email to my licensor to double check what I even listed as my hours when I filled out paperwork.
Learn something new everyday.
daycare 06:11 PM 01-12-2015
Huh. 7 years licensed and it never even occurred to me that I couldn't work what hours I wanted to. I sent an email to my licensor to double check what I even listed as my hours when I filled out paperwork.
Learn something new everyday.
It's the same here in CA.

If you are open from 6 to 6 M-F, then the state requires you to always be IN compliance during those times and days, WITH OR WITHOUT CHILDREN PRESENT. You can NOT operate outside those hours without informing them and or filling out a new LIC form submitting new hours.

I used to do a PNO once a month on a friday night until 10pm. they told me I cant do it anymore unless I am willing to be in compliance every Friday night until 10pm. Which would mean, no friends or family over..... I don't do PNO any more.
Snowmom 07:31 AM 01-13-2015
Odd- my licensor just emailed me back saying I can open an hour earlier on occassion if I want, I just need to be following the same rules/regulations as I normally would.

I did end up saying no to my client. Just too near burning out lately!
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 01-13-2015
Odd- my licensor just emailed me back saying I can open an hour earlier on occassion if I want, I just need to be following the same rules/regulations as I normally would.

I did end up saying no to my client. Just too near burning out lately!
My licensor said it's a state regulation. I'll e-mail her and double check.

I know different counties sometimes do things differently but I don't like giving info that is incorrect...kwim?

I will double check with her and let you know.

Either way, it does still affect your insurance so that's something to consider too. I don't always mind being flexible when needed but sometimes parents really do expect too much of us.

I think it would be easier for the to ask a family member a favor than to simply expect their provider to give more.
deliberateliterate 09:37 AM 01-13-2015
I'm letting a DCK come 1.5 hours early on Friday with no extra payment. I wanted to say no (obviously), but she picks her kid up early pretty much every day, and I didn't want to make waves about being sticky with my hours.
Crazy8 10:20 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
same here! but my earliest isn't that early so it wouldn't be too bad for me. I have no problem doing a little extra as long as I am compensated AND it isn't an inconvenience for me.
Reply Up