Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Demanding More Days Advice Please
daycare angels22 05:32 PM 02-06-2015
Hello I am new here. I just started an in home childcare and have had my one client for a month now. Well today DCM picks up and says her and DCD talked and feel like for the rate i charge they should be able to bring the kids monday-fri even if she isn't working. I charge a set rate if you come 3 or more its not based on hr's but on enrollment. They have already signed my contract and everything. I told her I go based off their schedule as to what days the children come and that I am very cheap in comparison to the other centers in my area, plus provide meals, snacks, and a preschool curriculum. This patent has picked her kids up 1 1/2 hrs late, dropped off 8 hrs early( failed to tell me she's doing a double), and not come or called. She is my only client I have advertised every where I can think of during this month and have had calls but no interviews. I don't want to lose her but at the same time she is treating me like a babysitter which I have told her several times I am not. I want to send her an email highlighting my policies pertaining to fees/payment, late fees and early drop off fees and explain to her that they can only come while she is at work and based off her work schedule. There have been weeks where these children would come 4 days a week for 12 1/2hrs all four days and I never charged her extra, so it really irritated me when she demanded that she be allowed to bring them 5 days a week or else she wanted her fee recalculated. Please help me with drafting a letter. I do charge a late fee and early drop off fee (never charged her), full payment is due whether here 3 days or four, or five. I don't take kids if parents are off. I want her to respect and acknowledge me as a business which I am I pay taxes out of the money she pays me. Also any information on advertising would really help me out I am listed on craigslist, sityercity.com, sitter.com, Facebook, and have passed out flyers around my neighborhood etc.
laundrymom 05:53 PM 02-06-2015
Do you HAVE to work? I mean. Are you sole supporter?
My advice depends on if you are.
daycare angels22 06:05 PM 02-06-2015
Hi Lauandeymom,
My husband works but we have four children of our own, and while I can get by only contributing an extra $600-$800 it is nice to have a little more to save. I also did not like the daycare in my area it was dirty, and they were unprofessional, but were the only ones who would transport DD's to school. I am a nurse and so at times the hours are long and I just could not in good conscious put my babies in that daycare so I began my own childcare to be home with my boys and be able to get my daughters on and off the bus.
Starburst 08:01 PM 02-06-2015
She might be taking advantage of you because she knows that you are new to this business and that she is your only client, and assumes that because she's the client that it makes her your boss. Some people will never appreciate this field and will think that any child care/ early education is glorified babysitting (that's probably why child care workers are one of the most underpaid professionals).

For the record I'm not in business yet. I currently nanny for two families (at their homes) and hope to open by next year but I do have experience working in a home daycare, have taken family child care specific business classes, and my boyfriend's sister currently does daycare (I just moved to a new state so it's nice to know someone who knows the rules here).

As far as advertisement, getting your foot in the door:

Are you registered with your local Child Care Resources and Referral office (CCR&R)? Have you considered registering as an approved listed with DHS department and taking families with assist pay (my boyfriend's sister did this and is full, good for starting out)? Do you advertise that you're trained in nursing (maybe also try to target market parents of special needs children)? Do you have a yard sign/banner (might want to point out tours by appointment only so people don't just knock on your door and want to come in)? Do you have your own website (maybe ask family/friends to write testimonials for you website)?

Post fliers around: laundry mats, apartment complexes, elementary school boards, Starbucks, grocery stores college/hospital cafeterias, maternity wards, doctors offices, parks, local birthday party attractions (like Jumping Around or Chuck E Cheese). Warning: some places may require permission to post flies and may only keep them up for so long.

Around Halloween tape business cards to treats. Carry business cards around with you (keep them in your purse) and try to find opportunities to hand them out by sparking conversations with random people; like cashiers, moms at the park, even a teller at your bank. Maybe even tell people you know to carry around business cards.

Funny story: A few years ago, I was cashing a check from the home daycare I worked at (had the same credit union as my boss) and overheard a customer say my bosses name because she was telling the banker that her daughter and SIL really wanted her granddaughter to go to that daycare because it had an awesome reputation, but they couldn't find a website or any phone numbers (My boss was in business for over 30 years [great word of mouth rep] and never advertised online, didn't even have a personal Facebook account; she was in the yellow pages but it was listed as the last name from her first marriage). I walked over and introduced myself and said that I actually worked for that lady and gave her the house phone (business) number. The banker said she recognized me and was going to go over and ask me (it's a small bank and my boss's daughter {who also worked for her} was my roommate/ best friend, so we often ran errands with her after hours). I told her I didn't know if she had any openings, but that it couldn't hurt to call. A few weeks later the lady's granddaughter was enrolled and she was a great fit.
daycare angels22 09:10 PM 02-06-2015
Hello Starburst,
Thank you for responding I will most certainly use all your advertising ideas I have a Facebook page, just ordered business cards, but have done fliers in my neighborhood area. I live in Ohio and in Ohio you don't have to be licenses to operate as Type B and can watch 6 children total. I don't think I can be added to DHS without being licensed? I am sure she is taking advantage of me, but I feel as much as I need the income she needs me because I live right next door(saves on gas and travel time) I am cheaper than other centers and even the last babysitter she had who charged her $170/child/wk (she has 2 children) and made her provide the kids food, I actually teach a curriculum (other lady did not), I have an EIN and registered as a company so she can claim fees on her taxes next year, I have fewer holiday closings and provide all meals and snacks except dinner. I just need a nice way to tell her that I will not allow them to come 5 days when she is not working unless she pays the daily rate for that day and I will be enforcing late pick up fees/early drop off fees because she is always here an hour after I close which is my family dinner time and time to get my two DD'S ready for school.

It just irritated me that she had the audacity to say they feel I should be teaching their children instead of them being home with her on her day off. I love being my kids what is wrong with parents?!?! I assist in teaching I should not be only one. She said because I won't watch them on the weekends which I am closed that they should get to come Mon-Fri. Any help with drafting a nice letter would be greatly appreciated.

I have read the forum before but never posted and I just love all the advice you ladies give. Guess I need to get a back bone!!!!
KidGrind 07:41 AM 02-07-2015
I am a little short on time but I think I have an solution for you.

You can base your days of 3 or or more for full-time.
But cap your daily hour rate at no more than 9.5 hours a day.

Full-time care 28.5 hours to 47.5 hours per week per child.

I had a client who works 12 hour days. She did NOT bring her on the days she was off. So the solution for her is to cap her hours per week. If she needs additional hours of care beyond 47.5 hours a week charge her $10 per hour or $15 for 2 kids.

Oh and I get you don’t want to lose her. But those type of hours you’d be surprised at how hard it would be to find childcare for double shifts and long days.

Don’t allow your clients to hold you hostage to their b*llsh!t for fear of losing them. STAND YOUR GROUND. Sometimes just showing them the contract and then reoffering to revamp one works. If I were you I’d type up a new contract allowing them to pick 5 days per week no more than 9.5 hours per day with a set drop-off of 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Early drop-off and later pick-up scheduled requests will be considered at the fee of $5 per every 15 increment.

or

If she needs additional hours of care beyond 47.5 hours a week charge her $10 per hour or $15 for 2 kids. You must have her schedule two weeks in advance.

Late pick-up not scheduled or approved 72 hours in advance requires a late pick-up of $1.00 per minute due at pick-up. Childcare services will not be provided until late fees are paid in full.

Good luck!
laundrymom 10:57 AM 02-09-2015
What she said. 😊
Sorry. Had food poisoning. Was knocked down whole weekend.

Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I am a little short on time but I think I have an solution for you.

You can base your days of 3 or or more for full-time.
But cap your daily hour rate at no more than 9.5 hours a day.

I had a client who works 12 hour days. She did NOT bring her on the days she was off. So the solution for her is to cap her hours per week. If she needs additional hours of care beyond 47.5 hours a week charge her $10 per hour or $15 for 2 kids.

Oh and I get you don’t want to lose her. But those type of hours you’d be surprised at how hard it would be to find childcare for double shifts and long days.

Don’t allow your clients to hold you hostage to their b*llsh!t for fear of losing them. STAND YOUR GROUND. Sometimes just showing them the contract and then reoffering to revamp one works. If I were you I’d type up a new contract allowing them to pick 5 days per week no more than 9.5 hours per day with a set drop-off of 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Early drop-off and later pick-up scheduled requests will be considered at the fee of $5 per every 15 increment.

or

If she needs additional hours of care beyond 47.5 hours a week charge her $10 per hour or $15 for 2 kids. You must have her schedule two weeks in advance.

Late pick-up not scheduled or approved 72 hours in advance requires a late pick-up of $1.00 per minute due at pick-up. Childcare services will not be provided until late fees are paid in full.

Good luck!

daycare angels22 12:05 PM 02-09-2015
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Laundrymom. Food poisoning is no good. It was so much easier delegating as a nurse I did not depend on one family for my money, but got paid through a company. I know she is taking advantage and I'm pretty sure she needs me as much as I need her. I had already planned to redo my contract/handbook since it seemed to complicated for her to understand. The only problem with the drop off and pick up time is sometimes she works at 6am and I guess husband does too I rarely see him except at pickup sometimes and don't have his schedule. And sometimes she works at 2pm and dad is supposed to pick up at 5:45 but most of the time doesn't come until 6:30-7:20 ����. Mom is just being lazy she was fine when they came 5 days a week 4 of those being 13 hr days with no extra charge. Should I just charge by days instead of set rate since her schedule does fluctuate. I would like to send an email telling her I will not take them on her days off, payment policy will change, and contract and policies are not negotiable. I told her she signed the contract agreeing to my policies then she says she didn't read it all������. Its 12 pages with the last being the contract for her to sign I did a lot of research on here when creating it so that I could prevent a lot of the issues you ladies have had with DCF, and yet here I am even with my handbook being very to the point, cut and dry. Any help with formulating/formatting email is greatly appreciated. Thank you ladies!!!
itlw8 12:17 PM 02-09-2015
yes recalculate her fee. make sure you set an amount of hours in the day. so 12 1/2 hours... if your day is 9 1/2 hours she pays extra for3 hours. double shift. she pays for those hours. extra hours are at a higher fee if you WANT to work them and they are arranged. If you do not agree ahead of time they are at a penalty rate most providers charge $1 a minute.
daycare angels22 12:46 PM 02-09-2015
I'm so sorry to hear that Laundrymom. Food poisoning is no good. It was so much easier delegating as a nurse I did not depend on one family for my money, but got paid through a company. I know she taking advantage and I'm pretty sure she needs me as much as I need her. I had already planned to redo my contract/handbook since it seemed to complicated for her to understand. The only problem with the drop off and pick up time is sometimes she works at 6am and I guess husband does too I rarely see him except at pickup sometimes and don't have his schedule. And sometimes she works at 2pm and dad is supposed to pick up at 5:45 but most of the time doesn't come until 6:30-7:20 . Mom is just being lazy she was fine when they came 5 days a week 4 of those being 13 hr days with no extra charge. Should I just charge by days instead of set rate since her schedule does fluctuate. I would like to send an email telling her I will not take them on her days off, payment policy will change, and contract and policies are not negotiable. I told her she signed the contract agreeing to my policies then she says she didn't read it all. Its 12 pages with the last being the contract for her to sign I did a lot of research on her when creating it so that I could prevent a lot of the issue you ladies have had with DCF, and yet here I am even with my handbook being very to the point, cut and dry. Any help with formulating/formatting email is greatly appreciated. Thank you ladies!!!
daycare angels22 12:54 PM 02-09-2015
Thank you itlw8. That's what I thought I should do and that way she pays for the days and I don't have to worry about it. If she wants them here 5 days she has to pay the extra fee, I was working with her since she is my first client but I am sick of the no call no shows, schedule changes without informing me, late pick up, and then demanding for extra days despite my policies. I wanted to term her but she's my only client right now, but if I get more hopefully soon maybe her act will change if not she's out.
itlw8 03:09 PM 02-09-2015
they may regret it when they find out they will actually be paying more LOL
Tags:advertisement, getting started, new provider
Reply Up