Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I LOVE Compliments From Parents!
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:11 PM 02-02-2012
So this mom is a public school teacher. She enrolled her son with us temporarily for one day a week while he was on a waiting list for fancy name preschool. Desperately needing any money we can get, we said okay (although we actually have 3 day minimum policy). She just wanted him to get some "socialization" and get used to being in a preschool environment before he goes to fancy preschool. They've been planning for him to go there for a long time now. Well, so far we love the family (I could go on and on about why we love having them in our preschool/daycare!) and wish we could keep them long term. Today mom tells us that they have decided to continue bringing him to us next year for one day a week because she likes my teaching style so much! (he'd still go to the other preschool, but only 2 days/week). I'll take that as a big compliment!
Beach Baby 08:30 PM 02-02-2012
That is awesome!!! That is a huge compliment! It's so nice when parents actually appreciate all the hard work! So...please share...what's your teaching style?
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:22 PM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
That is awesome!!! That is a huge compliment! It's so nice when parents actually appreciate all the hard work! So...please share...what's your teaching style?
It's the same as a lot of childcare providers and preschool teachers. Learning through hand's on activities that go along with that week's theme (example: counting pom poms and placing in the correctly numbered cups, or sorting mini dinosaur toys for dinosaur theme). Simple things, but I spend forever trying to get ideas! We split the group in half and go from center to center doing each activity before letting them free play with it. The only worksheets I do are the letter worksheets. And about every 3-4 weeks I spend a week reviewing, with no worksheets, just hands on alphabet practice and games with the letters we've already learned. The other preschool's website says they have a hand's on approach also, so I'm not sure how mine is any different...but I'll accept the compliment anyway and be more confident that the way I'm doing things is good! I'm used to parents who seem to think their child isn't doing or learning anything in preschool except playing if they don't come home with a bunch of worksheets. I've been trying to educate them, though
TBird 08:41 AM 02-03-2012
I hear ya!!!

I've had at least three kids this year who got pulled out of daycare or formal preschool to attend my family daycare full time. Either the parents didn't like the style of teaching, the class size of the daycare, the staff, etc. So I consider it a HUGE compliment since a lot of parents around here think brick, mortar & a showy, 'brand name' are what's important.
Reply Up