Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Car
LaLa1923 03:51 AM 04-22-2013
We've been looking for a new car that seats 8-9. I really do not want a minivan (I have one already). We've looked at the new sienna (I have the 2010), I'm not impressed! The middle "seat" in the back is hardly a seat at all...... any any suggestions? Right now we are leaning towards the Sequoia.
daycarediva 05:39 AM 04-22-2013
I am new car shopping as well. This is what I am leaning towards. (I really hate my minivan, so not a van person!)

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban-suvs.html
mamac 06:21 AM 04-22-2013
I'm holding out for the new VW Cross Blue that is supposed to be coming out in 2 years. It will be a 6 or 7 passenger diesel hybrid that gets 89 mpg. I'm only licensed for 6 so that would be perfect for me. I know- big help, right? If I were to choose an suv currently available that seats at least 8 it would probably be the Expedition. I've found Ford trucks to be very reliable over the years. Just be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ in fuel if you go with the larger suvs though.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 04-22-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I've found Ford trucks to be very reliable over the years. Just be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ in fuel if you go with the larger suvs though.
My DH is a die hard Ford fan when it comes to trucks.

His father bought a new F150 in 1974. It has 465,000 miles on it and he still drives it today.

I wouldn't go with a Suburban or massive SUV either. They are such gas hogs.

I have a DCM who has the Sequoia and she loves it.
irishdancer 07:48 AM 04-22-2013
I am a diehard Ford owner. Hubby works for them and I worked for them for six years before deciding too many hours away from kids. Looking at the Flex for my next vehicle.(7 seater) The middle row has tons of room. That and it is much better on gas then Expedition.
mom2many 08:02 AM 04-22-2013
When my 3 kids were younger and I needed to transport dcks and mine to school, we bought a suburban and I loved it!

Drove it for 15 years with hardly any major repairs. It was a great car, but even though it would seat 8...car seats take up a lot of room, so make sure you measure them to see if they will fit, especially in that 3rd seat in the far back!
mema 09:11 AM 04-22-2013
I have a suburban and while I do love all the room, I hate the gas tank. We have only put on 15,000 miles in 3 years because of it. I only use it out of town if we need to take the dog (kids refuse to sit with her in the car-she's a little big and smelly) and only in town if dh isn't home for me to use his car. His car is 1 year old and we have put 16,000 on his. Altho, he use to work 30 miles away and now he drives around a good portion of his shifts. I would love to get a Toyota Highlander Hybrid-but that price tag is just under $50,000. I will settle for a used one, but they are hard to find.
safechner 01:57 PM 04-22-2013
I would say go for it to buy a Toyota sequoia... It will be last longer.... My husband and I are planning to buy a 2013 or 2014 Toyota 4 runner with third row soon after this baby is born. My husband just bought a brand new 2012 Toyota Tacoma off road 4x4 about a year ago. He loves it...

I test drove Sienna and I hate it! I am not a van person! My husband recommended about a Toyota 4 runner or a Toyota sequoia. I really like Sequoia but I don't like to drive a bigger suv. Toyota 4 runner is just right fit for me and my girls. I was making sure it fits my daughters in the 3 rd row because of my oldest daughter have a very long legs.

I love land Cruise but I wouldn't pay $80,000 for that!
Evansmom 02:24 PM 04-22-2013
I know you said you don't want a mini-van and I feel ya. I never wanted one either. But now that we have the Honda Odyssey (seats 8) I do love that van. It's so easy to drive, has great power and really handles like a car. We have had zero problems with it (its a 2006). Just my experience I wanted to share
Cradle2crayons 08:34 PM 04-22-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I know you said you don't want a mini-van and I feel ya. I never wanted one either. But now that we have the Honda Odyssey (seats 8) I do love that van. It's so easy to drive, has great power and really handles like a car. We have had zero problems with it (its a 2006). Just my experience I wanted to share
I bought a Honda civic that ill have two years this November... As a die hard yota fan, I LOVE my Honda. Now I realize I'm needing an upgrade so the end of this year, I get to do it. Yay. For now, if I need to go somewhere with everyone and my husband isn't home, then I switch vehicles for the day with one of my dcp and it works out great lol
Scout 06:32 AM 04-23-2013
I agree that you can not go wrong with Honda. I am currently on my 4th and have had zero repairs on any of them! I have never driven the van myself but, my cousin has one and loves it! I prefer Honda to GM from personal experience. I had a 99 Grand Am that had numerous problems in the 4 years I had it!
DaisyMamma 10:33 AM 04-23-2013
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but my husband works as a automotive mechanic at a local shop and his paycheck is paid by broken Fords. Don't buy one. 9/10 vehicles he works on are Ford. Things that are considered "routine maintenance" generally don't need to be replaced on other vehicles.

The best cars are Toyota and Honda. Your choice on a Sequoia is the way to go!
Many SUVs offer flexfuel or hybrid options that help with gas cost.
AmyKidsCo 11:38 AM 04-23-2013
Of all our vehicles (Astro, Voyager, Rondezvous) I love our Suburban the best. We bought it second-hand so it's not the newest, but it's roomy and SO comfy to ride in! It can be a challenge to park because it's so big, but I just park farther away and get my exercise walking through the parking lot.
Tags:transportation vehicles
Reply Up