Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>help with wording - requiring certain infant sleep practices in order to accept dcf
Controlled Chaos 08:21 AM 01-30-2015
I am getting ready to reply to a potential dcf with an 11 week old baby. I will have an infant spot available in March. They only need PT (T and H) which I know most don't do, but I do. I make more money and like the job security if I lose one family I am not in as much financial trouble. I would of course tell them if a fulltime baby came along they get priority. I was referred by a mutual friend who says this a great family.

Question: I am trying to come up with a set of rules for accepting infants, expecially PT ones.
1. They have to take a bottle well
2. They can't be nursed to sleep/co sleep at naps. How can I word this. I don't want to come across as anti nursing or controlling of their home life but I do want to sound matter of fact.

Any other rules you have for infants you accept. I can by picky as infant spots are in high demand generally. I don't think I will have trouble filling the spot.

Thanks!
butterfly 08:47 AM 01-30-2015
I also require that they are sleeping in a crib at home (or something similar). I've had numerous infants come to me that are only slept in a swing or bouncy chair. They have to have movement to sleep and that does NOT work here.

I'm no help on wording. Personally, I would just ask if the baby has taken any bottles and then go from there in conversation with the parents. I like to talk in person so I can feel them out. If they seem kinda wishy washy when they tell me that the baby has had a bottle, I can recognize that I may be in for it.
Heidi 10:56 AM 01-30-2015
With my last baby, I just got out a Safe Sleep brochure during the interview. I waited until she (single mom) was pretty comfortable, and looked like she was going to sign on.

Then, I said something like "ok, so there is one thing we really need to talk about", handing her the brochure. "I want to make sure you understand that by regulation, I have to comply to safe sleep practices. Are you familiar with that?"

Then, I gave a little speech about how hard it is for a baby if they we expect different things.

She was still pregnant at the time, so she started right from the first day home, and it's one area where Mr. Grumpy has no problems.

We are allowed to swaddle her in WI. In fact, they send them home from the hospital with swaddle sacks, so that did make it easier until about week 12, when he was just done with that idea. Lucky for me, that was during my 2-week Christmas vacation.
KiddieCahoots 11:04 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
With my last baby, I just got out a Safe Sleep brochure during the interview. I waited until she (single mom) was pretty comfortable, and looked like she was going to sign on.

Then, I said something like "ok, so there is one thing we really need to talk about", handing her the brochure. "I want to make sure you understand that by regulation, I have to comply to safe sleep practices. Are you familiar with that?"

Then, I gave a little speech about how hard it is for a baby if they we expect different things.

She was still pregnant at the time, so she started right from the first day home, and it's one area where Mr. Grumpy has no problems.

We are allowed to swaddle her in WI. In fact, they send them home from the hospital with swaddle sacks, so that did make it easier until about week 12, when he was just done with that idea. Lucky for me, that was during my 2-week Christmas vacation.
......love this!
Shell 11:05 AM 01-30-2015
I just put together a little hand out for parents of infants for an interview I had today. I usually just go over my phb, but I found that infant parents need things to be a little more specific. I made little billeted points with things like: infants sleep in a pack and play with a fitted sheet only, and when I went over that with dcm I explained no sleeping in car seat, swing, etc and how difficult it is for a child to sleep one way at home, and then follow safe sleep practices here only.
If the baby is pt (so is mine), does that mean family is also watching baby on at least one other day? I love it when someone else watches baby also because then I know they are getting a bottle at least here and on the times they are with another adult other than mom.
Maybe print out some highlights of infant care, and get more specific in person? Hth
Controlled Chaos 12:10 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Thanks
Unregistered 04:32 PM 01-30-2015
I give these to parents at the first interview whether or not they end up choosing to come here:
http://www.childrensmn.org/images/fa...nvironment.pdf
And also these about infant/child development:
This is the website but they have a development wheel they give for free too.
http://helpmegrowmn.org/HMG/index.htm
Reply Up