Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Fun: Old Wives' Tales
Rockgirl 06:15 AM 01-21-2016
Ever hear any silly ones related to caring for kids?

When I was pregnant with dd (first pregnancy), we were at my inlaws' house, and dh and I were headed outside to play badminton. MIL said, "Be careful reaching up over your head. The cord could get wrapped around the baby's neck." Uh....because the cord is attached to my arm?
mamamanda 06:36 AM 01-21-2016
I was told not to tickle a baby's feet before they can talk or it would make them stutter. I tickled both my ds' toes regularly as they laughed and cooed and they both speak just fine.
Unregistered 03:40 PM 01-21-2016
He's teething.... lololololol!!!
Rockgirl 03:52 PM 01-21-2016
Isn't there one about cats stealing babies' breath, or something like that?
mamamanda 05:27 PM 01-21-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Yes, they say if a cat smells the milk on the baby's breath they will lay on their face. I was told I would have to get rid of my cats for this reason. My cat who has since passed on was actually wonderful with ds. Anytime he would cry she would run and curl up beside him as if to comfort him. Never got on top of him though. My other cat just stays as far away as possible until the baby is old enough to offer it treats. haha
Annalee 05:29 PM 01-21-2016
My oldest son was born with a birthmark on his back and my mil asked immediately what I did to cause that. She acted like it was a curse or something.
KarenSue 06:16 PM 01-21-2016
I was told not to eat strawberries when pregnant because they would give my baby a strawberry birthmark. Haha.
midaycare 06:24 PM 01-21-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
There has been a few incidents of cats smothering infants, but nothing done on purpose. I have a 13 year old very furry kitty, so when DS (now 8) was little, I used to just make sure she was out of his room when sleeping.

She hates people in general though, so it was over precaution, really.
Unregistered 08:48 AM 01-22-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Yes, they say if a cat smells the milk on the baby's breath they will lay on their face. I was told I would have to get rid of my cats for this reason. My cat who has since passed on was actually wonderful with ds. Anytime he would cry she would run and curl up beside him as if to comfort him. Never got on top of him though. My other cat just stays as far away as possible until the baby is old enough to offer it treats. haha
Probably started as a SID's case in reality. Or they layer the baby on their tummy instead of back. I love cats!! Lol
Mad_Pistachio 10:12 AM 01-22-2016
okay...

1. don't raise your arms during pregnancy as it may lead to miscarriage or premature birth. when I asked what I do if I need something off the top shelf, I was advised to ask someone for help. when I asked how I'm supposed to shave my armpits, I got crickets in response. whoever was trying to tell me that probably did not think that far ahead...
2. stay away from your cat: she'll give you toxoplasmosis. note, I wasn't told to not clean out her litter, I was told to just isolate myself from her.
3. don't cut your hair when pregnant. actually, I haven't run into that, but my friend was once refused a haircut at a salon because she had this nice 34-week bump. seriously. no one bothers to explain why.
4. don't crochet or knit when pregnant: it will make the cord wrap around the baby. still trying to figure out how those two connect.
5. buy nothing, absolutely nothing for the baby when pregnant. not even a formula or diaper sample (throw those away if you get them in the mail). bad luck. after you had your baby, start hitting the stores and buying everything. joy...

I will probably recall more if I think about it, but here.
Annalee 11:21 AM 01-22-2016
MY MIL was wonderful to me and I do miss her but she was very religious so everything usually revolved for her around a number? Ironically, we tried for 7 years before we finally had our first son....he was born in the 7th month as well....MIL always tried to make something of that throw in the birthmark I mentioned earlier and you can imagine how all of that was talked about. She lived in another state so I did not live around her but when we would go visit she would INSPECT my son....she passed away when my first son was 10 months old. I found it all interesting and was respectful to listen to her but am not superstitious in any kind of way so I just let it go.
Heidi 03:37 PM 01-22-2016
My grandmother used to tell me not to sit on "cold" cement (in July) because it would ruin my "woman parts" and I'd be sterile. This, all in German, of course.

She didn't live long enough to see my FOUR children.

My stepfather would put wool socks around his neck when he had a sore throat. Not sure what that could possibly do but give you a really scratchy neck. He also ran to open all the windows when someone sneezed so that he "virus' can escape" and not get others sick.
Laurel 05:00 PM 01-25-2016
My late father in law used to say that if you ate a banana before bed, you'd have nightmares.

Also if you held the baby in a certain way (I forget which way) then the baby would end up cockeyed. But he didn't like how we were holding it once and said that. What the heck IS cockeyed?
Nisaryn 08:37 PM 01-25-2016
My sister-in-law was over once and I offered to mix her formula for her baby, she reminded me to put a 'baby carrot' in the bottle....she believed she was raising her kids the 'German way' and that a carrot in the bottle would give him more nutrients and make him smarter.
childcaremom 02:07 AM 01-26-2016
I was told that I had to be careful when pregnant not to let anything hit my belly or the baby would have a birthmark (bruising the baby, I guess?). I heard this a lot because I was huge and very awkward.

I was also told that a baby being born with the caul is considered to be good luck.
MarinaVanessa 06:32 PM 01-26-2016
Don't look at a pooping dog or you'll give your baby a stye
Bookworm 07:06 PM 01-26-2016
Don't sit on the floor or else you'll get hemorroids.

Don't eat too much watermelon or your baby will have a big head.

Don't call a baby ugly or your baby will be ugly.
Unregistered 07:08 PM 01-26-2016
If you eat bananas while pregnant the baby will have a spotted complexion like a banana.

If you don't finish all of your rice, you future husband/wife will have a face of freckles like the rice left in bowl.

If you watch violent shows while pregnant you will have an angry child.

Shoes on the table bring back luck.

If the stairway faces the front door, then all your money and luck will roll down the stairs and out the door.

Can only get married on the upswing of the clock, not the downswing.
daycare 08:36 AM 02-01-2016
If you make ugly faces to anyone while you are PG, your child will end up coming out looking like that.

or your face will get stuck like that one day.....

Oh the things my parents used to say to me...and I belived it...
Reply Up