Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Carrying Health Insurance Thru Daycare?
Mom2Two 04:33 PM 08-27-2017
Is anyone the health insurance carrier for their family, meaning that you get some kind of self employed health insurance?

After a year of getting warned to not work more than 30 hours a week, my husband's employer stopped warning him for some reason, and in this past "look back period" he worked like 30.25 hours per week (he also has a part-time small business) and so now he's offered health insurace, whereas before we had health insurance through the marketplace exchange and also got a tax credit.

His employment also offered to make him "full-time reduced benefits" status, so it seems like they do want him to work more hours, and of course he'll have to in order to afford the health insurance. <head ache>

It's all slightly confusing.

I know that one option is to go with a co-op like Samaritan Ministries or others like that. Another option is to get insurance through the exchange without the tax credit.

And then the more we earn, the less we'll qualify for things like the CACFP tier one and stuff like that. Especially since I'll be losing child support next Spring and I've been preparing for that by taking on more children.

Phew! So who has found luck getting SE insurance ?
MissAnn 07:34 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Is anyone the health insurance carrier for their family, meaning that you get some kind of self employed health insurance?

After a year of getting warned to not work more than 30 hours a week, my husband's employer stopped warning him for some reason, and in this past "look back period" he worked like 30.25 hours per week (he also has a part-time small business) and so now he's offered health insurace, whereas before we had health insurance through the marketplace exchange and also got a tax credit.

His employment also offered to make him "full-time reduced benefits" status, so it seems like they do want him to work more hours, and of course he'll have to in order to afford the health insurance. <head ache>

I know that one option is to go with a co-op like Samaritan Ministries or others like that. Another option is to get insurance through the exchange without the tax credit.

And then the more we earn, the less we'll qualify for things like the CACFP tier one and stuff like that. Especially since I'll be losing child support next Spring and I've been preparing for that by taking on more children.

Samaritan and other share programs are not considered medical insurance and cannot be used as a deduction. Just something you should know. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/26...try-deductible
TomCopeland 02:37 PM 08-29-2017

Getting health insurance through the ACA is your best bet.
Mom2Two 05:39 PM 08-29-2017
Turns out that since we're offered the health care we pretty much have to take it. It's about $550/mth for traditional health care plan for our family of four ($440 for high deductable), which is less expensive than anything else I've seen on the ACA.

Feeling less confused than I was...just a few things to iron out, like why the letter said we had to return it by 8/10/17 when my husband didn't get it til last week.
MissAnn 06:19 PM 08-29-2017
Turns out that since we're offered the health care we pretty much have to take it. It's about $550/mth for traditional health care plan for our family of four ($440 for high deductable), which is less expensive than anything else I've seen on the ACA.

Feeling less confused than I was...just a few things to iron out, like why the letter said we had to return it by 8/10/17 when my husband didn't get it til last week.
I would think I died and went to Heaven with insurance that cheap. We are paying $1200 per month for just my husband and I. We both have pre existing conditions and had to go with an ACA Plan through Farm Bureau who is now dropping out of ACA. We might have to go back on Obamacare but last year the only plan offered wad $1800 per month but that is expected to go up. We barely qualify for the sliding scale and are afraid of taking the chance..... if you go one penny above thing you have to pay back the discount you received. That happened to us a few years ago and it about killed us. This health insurance mess is forcing me out of the business.
Mom2Two 01:59 PM 09-02-2017
Good news! DS's employment is going to make him regular full-time with all benefits. Insurance is still the same $ amount, but at least we'll be able to afford it now. And he'll keep his small side business as well.
Tags:health insurance
Reply Up