Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Since nap is a common complaint...
newtodaycare22 11:23 AM 11-30-2011
...Has anyone ever termed simply because of nap time behavior?

I'm curious. I have a girl who is killllllllllling me at nap. Fine otherwise, so I definitely won't term. But I'm wondering if anyone ever has
Cat Herder 11:26 AM 11-30-2011
I have not...but a poll would be interesting.
melissa ann 11:34 AM 11-30-2011
I have a dcg who just turned 4 and mom doens't want her to nap here because she is up all night. Well, yesterday, it was just my son and her. So since I lost 2 of my dck last week(they were both nappers), I said they could watch a movie after lunch and just rest. Mom told me this morning, that her dd fell asleep on the way home (around 5:30) and didnt' wake up until 6 this morning.So she didn't get to spend any time with her. She doesn't want her to nap because then girl wants to stay up till 9 and mom wants her to go bed earlier. My own kids go to bed around 9 they are 4 1/2 and 7, but we don't get up early. We get up at 7. This dcg only arrives after 8:30, so I"m guessing they don't get up early either.

I don't know if I would term over a nap issue. Right now, I don't have any nappers and with the new family starting in 2 weeks, 2 are in school and 1 is 3. I will probably make her lay down with the 3 yr old when he goes down for nap. She knows she has to be quiet when others are sleeping.
Meyou 11:38 AM 11-30-2011
I've come close but after discussing it with the parents she stopped the disruptive behavior at naptime and I didn't have to term.
greenhouse 11:57 AM 11-30-2011
My problem Napper is my own kid, so I can't term. I was shocked at how easy naps can be when dcb started.
e.j. 12:05 PM 11-30-2011
I've never termed because of a child's poor behavior during nap time but I did make it easy for a parent to decide to remove her child from my day care because her child couldn't stay awake.

Dcm insisted I was not to let the little girl nap. She wanted her dd to sit at my kitchen table and do crafts during nap time. The problem was, the kid was so tired, she'd fall asleep sitting at the table. I was afraid she'd fall out of her chair and hurt herself if I didn't have her lay down on her mat. When I explained this to dcm and told her if her dd started to nod off, I would allow her to sleep, she removed the child from my day care.
daycare 12:28 PM 11-30-2011
I have termed a child who was no longer taking naps before. They outgrew my program.
About 6 years ago, I had mostly all 2 year olds. I had one boy who was 3.5 and he stopped napping and would just create chaos.

So I ended my services with that family. No hard feelings and they understood..
cheerfuldom 03:25 PM 11-30-2011
I have....but normally the bad nappers also have other issues too. If it is just nap, I have the space for them to CIO
AnneCordelia 03:52 PM 11-30-2011
I have a family, who I otherwise LOVE, who had a baby who didn't nap here.

He was 11mo when he started. Only attends Wed-Fri, and so I knew it would take time to adjust. He was with Grandma Mon-Tues and she rocked him to sleep and let him nap on her shoulder. Mom nursed to sleep on evenings and weekends. He would not nap for me. He cried for 3 hours every day (2 1.5 hour naps). I relayed this info to parents daily but there were no changes in the home routines to help with the daycare routine.

It finally got to the point, after about 8 weeks of care, where he was keeping up the other kids and one of the mom's figured out that her baby wasn't napping on W-F...the days that DCB was there. Her 3yo would relay the info about the crying baby. She asked me about the situation and I realized that if I wanted to keep my other clients I needed to do something to ensure everyone got proper rest.

I wrote a very nice letter to the DCPs saying how much I loved their little boy (I do!) but that the naptime situation needed to change for care to be continued here, and that perhaps the more personalized care of grandma or a nanny would be a better alternative for them to group care. I explained that I felt CIO is the most reliable way to teach a child to sleep and we agreed that everyone would follow the same routine, and that after 2 weeks we would reevaluate the need to terminate care.

He went home that Friday and came back the next Wednesday a different baby! They did CIO, it worked and he caught on VERY fast. He didn't even cry that first Wednesday at all...went right to sleep and slept 2 hours. I was floored! And so pleased that I didn't have to terminate, although I'd been prepared to. And being well-rested here turned an otherwise delightful baby into a gem!
cheerfuldom 07:51 PM 11-30-2011
anne, that is a very exceptional story. How awesome that mom and grandma and provider all worked together to solve a problem! It's hard enough with just one parent and the provider. I am glad you got it worked out.

On a side note, two of my original assistants were moms that brought their little ones with them (very bad idea, I know......I would never do that now). The first assistant was fired for unrelated reasons but her son never napped here....he was the worst napper I have ever had. The second one quit after ONE shift because she realized that her son would have to CIO for naps so she could get her duties done.
caring4kidsinSD 11:16 AM 12-01-2011
side note - Trying to figure out what CIO is - and can't come up with anything
Crazy8 11:28 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
side note - Trying to figure out what CIO is - and can't come up with anything
CIO = Crying it out

I've never termed due to nap but it is sometimes an issue as kids get older and I believe it was the deciding factor for one child leaving a year before they would have otherwise (to go to school). I'm guessing it will be an issue with the sibling by next year too.
caligirl 11:46 AM 12-01-2011
I have not termed because of a napping problem, although right now I have a 8 month old who whines the entire nap period in his crib (because mommy and daddy let him sleep in their bed with them and he doesn't know how to sleep alone) but I'm not getting him up until nap time is over........ as for parents asking me not to give their child a nap, I tell them that I need MY time during the day for a break and for lunch. I'm not forcing their child to sleep, but I do expect them to lay there quietly while the others are sleeping. If they fall asleep, I can't help that. I remind them that THEY get a lunch break from work, and just because I am working from home with children, doesn't mean I don't deserve one too.
wdmmom 12:31 PM 12-01-2011
I have it specifically worded in my contract that a full nap is required at my daycare. No full nap, no enrollment.

I've had 2 parents approach me about it a few months into enrollment. (They always ask if I'll offer books or quiet play or let them lay in the living room or watch a movie, etc. The answer is always no!) I have a nap room and that is where all children go during naptime. Now I don't care if they sleep or not but they need to lay down and be quiet for 2 hours just like everyone else.

I haven't had to terminate because of it, but I would if I needed to.
Tags:nap - disruptions
Reply Up