Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Too Late For Me To Time Off Around Labor Day?
Pepperth 04:51 AM 08-06-2015
I know its about a month away and technically my contract says I give at least 2 weeks notice for time off. I'm OK there, but would you consider that enough notice to take the Thursday and Friday off around Labor Day? I'm getting kind of burnt out at the moment.
DaveA 05:02 AM 08-06-2015
I would make a decision ASAP and let DCPs know tomorrow or Monday. That gives them a full month notice. That should be plenty.
Pepperth 05:12 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I would make a decision ASAP and let DCPs know tomorrow or Monday. That gives them a full month notice. That should be plenty.
I actually have a notice typed up to give today at pick up if you all give me the go-ahead to do so.
CraftyMom 05:13 AM 08-06-2015
That is plenty of notice. I always feel bad taking a day off too. I recently took a day off last week because I have also been feeling burnt out. I needed it and I needed time with my kids. We have to take care of ourselves too
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I know its about a month away and technically my contract says I give at least 2 weeks notice for time off. I'm OK there, but would you consider that enough notice to take the Thursday and Friday off around Labor Day? I'm getting kind of burnt out at the moment.
If your contract says 2 weeks, then you have time.

I used to worry about advance notice and it not being enough but honestly, I don't think people plan way ahead on a regular basis. I set my notice period to two weeks and then paid close attention to those times in which I did only give a two week notice (even if I knew ahead of time) and no one said anything. All parents were able to accommodate that time frame.....except my one mom who forgets everything.

I have also given 30 days notice at times and same responses....everyone was able to accommodate. Except my one daycare mom who forgets everything...

Follow your contract and don't worry about it. Parents will figure it out. More than likely since it's a holiday weekend, they'll all either have time off themselves or have plenty of family/friends around to pitch in and help out.
AmyLeigh 07:58 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I actually have a notice typed up to give today at pick up if you all give me the go-ahead to do so.
Do it!!!

(I'm taking the Friday before Labor Day off, too.)
Shell 10:22 AM 08-06-2015
As I am leaving the business, my parting words on this issue are, Do what works for you! It's plenty of time, and you deserve a break!
Pepperth 10:58 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
As I am leaving the business, my parting words on this issue are, Do what works for you! It's plenty of time, and you deserve a break!
Thank you. That actually means a lot. I'm still pretty new in this business, less than a year, and I'm still trying to find the correct balance of keeping clients happy/ family time/ me time, etc. I just filled my last spot, so that makes me very happy, but its an adjustment as well.
AuntTami 11:23 AM 08-06-2015
It's your business, you choose your hours! I've known for a year that I need Labor Day weekend off as we go camping that weekend since it's my birthday. I gave notice to everyone about a week ago and it's posted in my front entry. I ran into problems last year and had to come home early. Not doing it again.
Pepperth 02:48 PM 08-06-2015
I handed out my time off notices today and they were all like "You deserve time off." so that went well. I do have one trying to slide into other days during the week, which I can accommodate half of their request.
Reply Up