Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
I do this as well. I’m often commenting and praising the kids who follow the rules rather than getting after those who do little things that are wrong. If a couple of kids are messing around with each other during circle time I might say something like “look how nice and quiet John and Suzie are being. Sitting like big kids, voices off, listening to Ms. Ceri.” Usually everyone else follows suit.
It’s the aggressive behaviors that are hard to deal with. When he gets upset or frustrated he becomes aggressive towards others. I’ve tried telling him that it’s okay to be upset or angry but that he needs to just take some deep breaths and calm down before reacting. Does kicking another child really help even if the other child grabbed his green crayon? How else could he have solved the problem.
Aggressive behaviors are common for littles with limited verbal skills and those with delayed development but at 4 it is unacceptable for him to behave that way.

The FIRST time he was aggressive towards another child, he would be immediately separated from the others (except when he is directly by my side). He would shadow me all day and would need to earn back his right to play with the others.

A documented report would be sent home to the parents as well. I would outline the possibility of termination should the behavior continue.

The FIRST time he hit/kicked or became aggressive towards myself or another adult, he would be sent home immediately. Three times and he would be terminated.

Aggressive and violent behavior is not something I am willing to tolerate nor correct without the lead from a parent. I will support and assist the parent in teaching their child to use alternate methods of expression but I will not do it alone nor will I shoulder the bulk of the responsibility.

I am sorry you are dealing with this issue.
It's one of the toughest we deal with in group care but it's also one that isn't taken seriously enough by adults IMPO and that is part of the issue as well.
Josiegirl 03:38 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Every year, I have families that are gone for several days because they take a vacation.

But as soon as MY family decides to take a vacation, it's annoyed looks, comments, and awkwardness. Like I'm not allowed to have a life outside of daycare because it's an inconvenience to them.

Like it's somehow my fault that they don't have back-up care.

Why is it a double standard?

That used to frustrate me too. The last several years I had great understanding families. But before that, if I wasn't available all the time they let me know with all their whining and 'oh no, whatever shall *I* do?' I got to the point where I didn't care, wasn't my problem.

Blackcat, if I die and come back as another ccprovider, I want to be just like you.
CountryRoads 06:52 AM 07-01-2020
Dcm forgot to put underwear...on her 4 year old...who is also wearing a dress
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 07-01-2020
Um okay... It's kinda funny...

I try to persuade parents to not send their child in dresses but if they do, they are required to wear shorts underneath so even if they did forget underwear, they'd still need shorts on.

I think I'd call that parent and request a change of clothing unless child has spares at your house.
CountryRoads 07:58 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Um okay... It's kinda funny...

I try to persuade parents to not send their child in dresses but if they do, they are required to wear shorts underneath so even if they did forget underwear, they'd still need shorts on.

I think I'd call that parent and request a change of clothing unless child has spares at your house.
Thankfully, the child has a spare change of clothes here. Dcm realized she forgot to put on underwear when she dropped off.

Dcm: "Well, at least I remembered to feed her."
CeriBear 08:08 AM 07-08-2020
OMG! And I tend to get a little mad when a parent sends a girl in a dress without shorts underneath.

My vent for the day. Why do some parents think it’s great for 4 year old Johnny to be able to recite his ABCs, name all the dinosaurs, and know that the presidents name is Donald Trump yet not how to put on his own Velcro shoes, peel a banana, or wipe his bottom. Seriously. How about teaching some basic self help skills.
springv 01:17 PM 07-08-2020
We have that exact same problem at our center in terms of little girls wearing dresses and no shorts underneath or their shorts being to short. I wish we had a dress code or something saying what they can and can't wear!!!!
Sunshine69 01:53 PM 07-08-2020
My vent for the day. Why do some parents think it’s great for 4 year old Johnny to be able to recite his ABCs, name all the dinosaurs, and know that the presidents name is Donald Trump yet not how to put on his own Velcro shoes, peel a banana, or wipe his bottom. Seriously. How about teaching some basic self help skills.
OMG! I hear you! I bite my tongue when dcp brags how smart dcb is compared to other kids his age. It makes it hard for me to give good reports about him because I know it will go strait to dcp’s head, but when I mention Dcb needs to work on some self-help skills they don’t even acknowledge. 🤷*♀️
Josiegirl 03:55 AM 07-09-2020
OMG! And I tend to get a little mad when a parent sends a girl in a dress without shorts underneath.

Where's the love button when you need it??!!

And it's so true. Sadly. My nephew was smart as a whip at age 4 but momma was still spoon feeding him.
284878 05:42 AM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
We have that exact same problem at our center in terms of little girls wearing dresses and no shorts underneath or their shorts being to short. I wish we had a dress code or something saying what they can and can't wear!!!!
Ugh, I have only one dcg and she wears tight shorts, that are so tight that it causes her diaper to bulge off to one size or give her a camel toe bulge when she pees. Then when she has a dress, her shorts are loose.
Former Teacher 07:50 AM 07-09-2020

I hear ya!

Way back when, we had a 4 year old whose mother told me that I had to spoon feed him lunch otherwise he won't eat

Long story short, at lunch that day, I told him that either he eats or he can wait until lunch was over so that he and his new friends can all play. I was NOT going to feed him.

He sat there a good 5 mins just staring at his plate. Then he started eating. And he ate it all.

Mom came and first thing she asked was how did lunch go. I told her that it was fine and he fed himself. She went I explained to her that I didn't have time to feed a child that was perfectly capable of doing it himself.

He did the same thing (where he just sat for a few mins) for the next few days. When he realized that I wasn't going to do it at all, he eventually just starting eating when everyone else did
Annalee 10:43 AM 07-09-2020
I'd rather have the dresses worn than these skinny jeans for boys and girls that they can't pull up after pottying. Or the shorts that are made out of the same material and can't be pulled up without help. Some of these kids have to be melted to get into such kinds of clothes.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 07-10-2020
Had a mom tell me her kid is wearing new shoes and not to let her get them dirty not a thing on them. Pure whit shoes! WTH.
springv 09:44 AM 07-11-2020
Had a parent post on FB that they were at a gun range and got a new gun for protection. Hope they don't bring it into the daycare when they pick up their children.
Blackcat31 03:50 PM 07-11-2020
Had a parent post on FB that they were at a gun range and got a new gun for protection. Hope they don't bring it into the daycare when they pick up their children.
Why would you think they’re going to bring it into the child care?

The vast majority of gun owners are safe responsible adults.

In most states in order to get a concealed carry permit (which is required to buy a hand gun) you are required to take a class that educates you in regards to when and where you may carry your weapon.

I wouldn’t automatically assume they’re going to come into the center waving their gun around.
284878 06:59 AM 07-12-2020
Why would you think they’re going to bring it into the child care?

The vast majority of gun owners are safe responsible adults.

In most states in order to get a concealed carry permit (which is required to buy a hand gun) you are required to take a class that educates you in regards to when and where you may carry your weapon.

I wouldn’t automatically assume they’re going to come into the center waving their gun around.
🙂 I had a parent tell me that he had just got licensed to sell and make guns, of he wanted to make them.
springv 12:10 PM 07-12-2020
There's to many crazy folks today and it makes me think the worse. We had a parent once have their personal gun on them while they came to sign their child up for the after school program and if one of the kids had gotten a hold of it, it wouldn't have been good
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 07-12-2020
Glad I don’t live in your area... I’d feel bad that the worst is automatically assumed or that I’m crazy simply because I carry a gun.
Rockgirl 11:48 AM 07-13-2020
I’m in Texas....I know more people who carry than not. As BC stated, people who are legally carrying have been through a licensing process. Honestly, I feel safer knowing responsible gun owners are around me in public places.
CountryRoads 05:06 AM 07-14-2020
Newborn sibling of a current dck starting soon. Dcm complains all the time about how difficult and fussy baby is.

Wonderful
ZenZen Hen 12:11 AM 07-25-2020
A troublesome parent was upset that her kid had a rock thrown at them (after the child went and poked another child in the eye). She wanted the name of the child who had thrown the rock, going so far as to ask her barely 2 year old child who he poked (he didn't understand the question) after I denied her request TWICE.
She complained that its "difficult for her" when some people here tell her things and others don't. I wish I had been quick enough to say that "others breaking policy does not reflect on the fact that I will adhere to our policy to protect the identities of children and their families while in attendance at the center."
Instead I told her to take it up with managment. To make it worse her older child was there (smart, smart cookie) asking me why I wouldn't tell her mom who did it.
springv 02:12 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by ZenZen Hen:
A troublesome parent was upset that her kid had a rock thrown at them (after the child went and poked another child in the eye). She wanted the name of the child who had thrown the rock, going so far as to ask her barely 2 year old child who he poked (he didn't understand the question) after I denied her request TWICE.
She complained that its "difficult for her" when some people here tell her things and others don't. I wish I had been quick enough to say that "others breaking policy does not reflect on the fact that I will adhere to our policy to protect the identities of children and their families while in attendance at the center."
Instead I told her to take it up with managment. To make it worse her older child was there (smart, smart cookie) asking me why I wouldn't tell her mom who did it.
I would've told the parent that if they've got a problem with the care and also have problems with the employees then they can find new care. I would also tell the older child in the parents presence that what happens at daycare stays at daycare and that the older child shouldn't listen to adult conversations and to keep their opinion to theirselves and their mouths shut!!!!!😠😠😠
Former Teacher 07:59 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by ZenZen Hen:
I remember once when a 2, almost 3 year old got bit. The Director told the parent of the child who was bitten. She didn't name names. She just explained there was a fight and before the caregiver went over there (she was changing a diaper and couldn't get there fast enough) the child was bitten.

The mother was furious. She demanded to know who bit her son etc etc. Finally the Director told her that while SHE couldn't give the name of the child, if she wanted to ask her child, he could. The mother kept on asking but he wouldn't tell her. Probably because it was he himself who started all the BS and deserved to be bit

Just kidding! Well....he did start it....he just didn't finish it.
ZenZen Hen 08:47 PM 07-25-2020
I would've told the parent that if they've got a problem with the care and also have problems with the employees then they can find new care. I would also tell the older child in the parents presence that what happens at daycare stays at daycare and that the older child shouldn't listen to adult conversations and to keep their opinion to theirselves and their mouths shut!!!!!😠😠😠
If I had responded with such wording I would have been written up, guaranteed. Also, the child is four, quite smart and empathetic, why wouldn't she listen to adult conversation? That's an avenue for children to learn through.
daycarediva 10:53 AM 07-28-2020
"This is age appropriate behavior for children that age. We have X safety measures in place to prevent future incidents. In addition, we did speak to your child about poking peers. I also did not disclose the name of your child to the other's parents."

Geeze, helicopter parents.
springv 11:55 AM 07-31-2020
I may be old fashioned but children SHOULD NOT be allowed to listen to adult conversations because they don't need to know what adults talk about and they need to worry about being a child!!! What if they went home and told their parent what the child done in daycare and the next morning the parent wants to know what happened and if it involved her child? How would you respond?????
Blackcat31 01:32 PM 07-31-2020
I may be old fashioned but children SHOULD NOT be allowed to listen to adult conversations because they don't need to know what adults talk about and they need to worry about being a child!!! What if they went home and told their parent what the child done in daycare and the next morning the parent wants to know what happened and if it involved her child? How would you respond?????
I don't think it has anything to do with being old fashioned.

The children in my care over hear most everything I say to other parents/adults and most of it they already know via being present in care and seeing first hand who hit/bit/pushed who etc.

Most of those kids do go home and tell a parent Johnny hit Billy or Susie pushed Janie but who did what doesn't come from me. I do not tell parents which child hit/bit/pushed their child. This falls under confidentiality and it's discussed upon enrollment so ALL parents know I am not in the business of sharing info like that.

However, IF a parent did come back to care the next day all riled about about Johnny hitting their child, I would tell them the same thing I said above. Just because they have the information doesn't give them permission to do anything about it. If it became dramatic and the parent demanded I do something.... I would terminate that parent/family.

Problem solved.

The ideal solution to not wanting littles to overhear adult conversation is to have adult conversation where there are no little ears to overhear. This could be a phone call or a face to face meeting in a closed office or adult space where DCKs are not allowed.
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 07-31-2020
Also why is the responsibility the child's in this situation?

Wouldn't it be the ADULT'S responsibility to try not to discuss anything the child shouldn't overhear.

Adults need to worry about children being children and be the adult in the situation verses placing blame on the child.
springv 09:36 AM 08-01-2020
����������������������
CeriBear 12:35 PM 08-02-2020
This is sad rather than a true vent but...

On Friday a 4yo child asked me if policemen were bad. I told him no, that police officers are good and help to keep us safe. He then said he heard on TV that police were bad.

Makes me sad what kids hear these days.
Sad and mad.
Annalee 09:55 AM 08-05-2020
My cousin with dh and two sons (6 and 8) went to Panama city last week and have come back with covid..........are ok but have it. My aunt (this cousin's mom) whom has lung/breathing issues now we think has it but has to be tested???

My niece's father and mother in law have it....a medium case for both.

My county is seeing a surge with infections, not necessarily deaths, but covid infections. School now starts Monday/10th but now have mandated masks for everyone and I give it two weeks.

Again, I'm not scared, per se, but still have major concerns. I am the primary bread winner in my family. Our grants that I have used end in August; so YES I AM CONCERNED FOR MY LIVELIHOOD....getting close to home/community again. Yes; I CAN make everyone pay and I CAN run my business as I want but I still have to have families STAY with me for this to happen....lots of variables affecting EVERY family so they have to do what is best for them as well.
springv 05:08 PM 08-05-2020
There's a girl I graduated high school with that tested positive for covid and is in a bigger hospital on a vent and ECMO.
Cat Herder 12:59 PM 08-06-2020
I have been trying to get into the forum since 630 this morning. Finally I am here. I was beginning to think I did something.
CenterTeacher20 01:11 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have been trying to get into the forum since 630 this morning. Finally I am here. I was beginning to think I did something.
Same here!!
Bluemoon5 11:52 AM 08-07-2020
DCM let us know that dcb would be in late this morning due to doctor's appointment. Fine, no problem. During the summer we do water play every morning and the kids all come in their bathing suits. Dcb arrives at 10:30 (the time we go outside) in regular clothes and no bathing suit. DCM also leaves a note that dcb has not had snack yet (we eat snack at 9:30). Then later in the morning dcb bites a chunk of flesh out of another child (okay, I might be exaggerating a bit, but it was a nasty bite.) *sigh* TGIF.
Sunshine69 12:35 PM 08-07-2020
Parents that call Friday afternoon and want childcare for three kids by Monday morning.

Uh, NO!
AmyKidsCo 01:18 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
Parents that call Friday afternoon and want childcare for three kids by Monday morning.

Uh, NO!
YIKES!!
CountryRoads 07:16 AM 08-12-2020
Was on vacation and had a dcm parent text me several times about things that were not an emergency.

I eventually stopped responding, then find out she complained to another dcm that I wasn't writing back

I was on vacation. Leave me alone!
Cat Herder 07:20 AM 08-12-2020
Was on vacation and had a dcm parent text me several times about things that were not an emergency.

I eventually stopped responding, then find out she complained to another dcm that I wasn't writing back

They don't get it until we make it cost them something.

Maybe if you start charging $1 per text and $1 per minute for phone calls after hours she would get the message?

I tell mine that there is no such thing as an after hours daycare emergency, only family emergencies. That I turn off my business phone at closing time and only have it on during open hours. I do allow emails and will check them Sunday evenings in case it is something that will effect Monday morning.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 08-12-2020

I always tell them exactly that...then they get a bit embarrassed or at the very least, stop texting...

I text reply

"AUTO REPLY: ABC Child Care is currently closed. I am spending quality time with my family. Anything business related will be addressed during business hours when child care re-opens. Thank you for respecting my valued privacy."
CenterTeacher20 10:12 AM 08-14-2020
Bad storm. Power's been out at our center since 10:30, sent out a text asking people who can to please come pick up their kids but we are staying open through nap time without power... we had already ordered pizza for lunch (Pizza Friday) so we ate pizza in the dark, luckily we only had 8 ids here today total anyway- but then one of my daycare moms texts me and asks me not to put her baby down for his second nap and to keep him awake until 3 when she picks up because they're driving to the lake and she wants him to sleep then. First of all, I'd prefer your child not even be here right now... plus I know she's working from home right now, you want me to entertain your 11 month old for 3 hours in the dark by himself during and after his normal nap time??? We have no sleep music/sound machines right now, no bottle warmer, and he SUCKS at playing on his own. Let alone in the dark. He's also a high pitched screamer. I love the kid. But I am NOT skipping his nap. Especially with no power.

(Using the hotspot from my iPhone to type this, FYI, I needed to vent)
Unregistered 08:12 AM 08-17-2020
Happy Monday not!

Dcm comes in saying her kid has a dentist appointment in the afternoon and will be picking up at nap time and will bring her back after her appointment. Ummm what? No! One drop off and pick up per day. Pick up at nap time not cool! Do people not have common sense anymore??
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Happy Monday not!

Dcm comes in saying her kid has a dentist appointment in the afternoon and will be picking up at nap time and will bring her back after her appointment. Ummm what? No! One drop off and pick up per day. Pick up at nap time not cool! Do people not have common sense anymore??
Did you remind her of that?
Ladybutterfly 10:07 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Paraphrase of a convo with a dcd last night...

Him: "We're working really, really hard on potty training her. Are you able to help at all with that?" [note: this has been ongoing since February and I do help, everyday, putting her on the potty, many times]
Me: "Yes, I can, I have been--I put her on the potty everytime we have potty breaks which is pretty much every major transition, so a lot. I've also been starting to brainstorm some other ideas to help her here--"
Him: "Well, we tried her in underwear at home yesterday and it didn't go so well."
Me: "For sanitary reasons, I need to have her in something absorbant until she's doing well; you could try undies under the pull-up, or I have some cloth training pants I've been thinking of trying. I cloth diaper DS so it's no trouble."
Him: "At home she gets jelly beans for peeing and a cookie for pooping in the potty!"
Me: [resisting urge to slam my head into the nearby wall] "Oh! Ok, well bring me some of those and I can continue that here!"
Him: "Okay, We'll do that."

Guess what didn't show up with dcg today...;;headdesk:: I think I'm going to buy my own this weekend, daggone it, and start a sticker chart with her. And the cloth pants too. Anything to get them off my back--she's only here three days a week and I'm starting to feel like I'm being blamed for her not being trained yet! She's the one with NO readiness signs AT ALL.
I'm so sorry. I feel ya. I am struggling with this same thing. DCM is following the book called "oh crap" which is a method to have several days at home without any pants on at all and give them a crash course in potty training. The idea is they feel it running down their legs and are better about to comprehend what's going on. I allowed the DCG to come back after she was finding success at home with this method and not having accidents. So she came back wearing a long dress & no underwear. She had so many accidents last week I almost lost my mind! I see now that it was my mistake to let her come back until she successfully wore underwear at home and still didn't have any accidents before she came to play with friends and had the added distractions. Plus at home her mom is asking her a thousand times a day if she needs to go and just putting her on the potty on her own accord. Here she has to go potty at each of our transition times but then several times pooped ON MY FLOOR! 5 minutes after she had just peed in the potty.

What would you do? Also this same dcg is a terrible nuisance to others, hits others often, and doesn't nap well. About to let her go.
springv 10:21 AM 08-17-2020
Tell dcm that she's got to come in either underwear or pullup because of sanitary reasons!!!! If DHR came to our center and found out about what was happening, we would be written up immediately!!!
Sunshine69 10:53 AM 08-17-2020
It makes me wonder what some parents would think if they witnessed another child cop a squat right next to their child while they played in daycare. As a parent, I’d be appalled and would question the cleanliness of where my child was attending daycare.

Somehow it’s perfectly acceptable if their own child is doing it in a daycare setting though. 🤷*♀️
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 08-17-2020
It makes me wonder what some parents would think if they witnessed another child cop a squat right next to their child while they played in daycare. As a parent, I’d be appalled and would question the cleanliness of where my child was attending daycare.

Somehow it’s perfectly acceptable if their own child is doing it in a daycare setting though. 🤷*♀️
Nailed it.
CountryRoads 06:45 AM 08-20-2020
This is such a pet peeve of mine. Not that they bring their children when they're not working, but the excuses they give me.

"I'm off today, but I need to clean so I'm bringing them."

"I'm not working, but I have to get some stuff done around the house."

"I have to run errands, so dck will be here."

I had a dck here for 10 hours yesterday. 10 HOURS. Because dcp had to run an errand which dck could've easily came along with.

It's like they are helpless when they have their kids. I wonder how myself - and several other parents - manage to get our stuff done with kids around!
Or maybe they don't want to spend time with them.
I'll never understand some parents.
Littlepeopleprovider 08:33 AM 08-20-2020
This is such a pet peeve of mine. Not that they bring their children when they're not working, but the excuses they give me.

"I'm off today, but I need to clean so I'm bringing them."

"I'm not working, but I have to get some stuff done around the house."

"I have to run errands, so dck will be here."

I had a dck here for 10 hours yesterday. 10 HOURS. Because dcp had to run an errand which dck could've easily came along with.

It's like they are helpless when they have their kids. I wonder how myself - and several other parents - manage to get our stuff done with kids around!
Or maybe they don't want to spend time with them.
I'll never understand some parents.
I think maybe the parents that give excuses to the provider are trying to make themselves feel less guilty for not wanting their children on a day off.

I do understand that parents need some time to themselves as it's a need for everyone to have down time. It's tough being a parent that works 40-50 hours per week, care for children and juggle everything else in life. So, I get it.

On the other hand, kids grow up so fast and parents will miss out on that time they could have spent with their children. The kids want so much to be with their parents when they're young. The sad truth is soon those little kids enter the teen years and beyond and don't want to spend time with their parents anymore. I feel bad for the kids when the parents don't want to spend time with them or leave them for 10 hours on days off.
Cbear 03:20 PM 08-23-2020
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Oh boy!

Hmm let's see. Today I was hit 3 times and threatened with a rather large block. (To which I said "Don't You DARE!") All by the same child.

Where do these kids come from?

Thankfully my co-worker came to my rescue (she has been hit by same child as well).

I went home and had a banana split. If this kid keeps it up I'm going to be as big as a house!
What if you took a second to reflect to the child what he/she must be feeling at that moment "You seem very angry." ("Don't you dare" sounds like a challenge to me.) You'd be amazed at the changes in their actions when we change our reactions.
Sunshine69 12:03 PM 08-24-2020
I was super annoyed today listening to daycare parents complain about the time they are going to have to miss from work if their child gets sent home from school with a cough/runny nose or fever. I get that folks don’t like to use their time off for stuff like that but, not having any of those benefits myself, makes it hard for me to sympathize.

These particular dcp’s have government jobs and earn a paid sick day each month in addition to their vacation and holiday time. I’ve had these families over 3 years and I’ve taken one sick day in three years.

One was saying that they hadn’t used vacation time to save for the time they’ll miss. I was scratching my head. Dc child was out just last month when the family was on vacation.

None of these families seem to acknowledge that I have not taken a vacation in over 3 years.

Sorry folks, it is a pandemic. We’re all having struggles. Sure would be nice if they knew who they were complaining in front of. Kinda like complaining how messy your house is in the presence of a homeless person. Sheesh! Take it somewhere else.
DaveA 01:26 PM 08-24-2020
Trying really hard to avoid “short timers”. Had to really fight the urge to begin and end a conversation with a DCP that would have included an “and the horse you rode in on” moment from me. 3 more weeks. I can do this without snapping on a DCP. Maybe.
Cat Herder 04:31 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Trying really hard to avoid “short timers”. Had to really fight the urge to begin and end a conversation with a DCP that would have included an “and the horse you rode in on” moment from me. 3 more weeks. I can do this without snapping on a DCP. Maybe.
You can do it.

I am fighting the same thing and I am only going on vacation.
littlefriends 05:15 AM 08-25-2020
Funny Story Of The Day!
Dcd pulls up this morning and runs up to my front door in a panic. Says dc kiddo barfed in the car and can he have some things to clean him up and some clothes from cubby. So I give him gloves, wipes, plastic bags and a change of clothes. He's out there cleaning for a bit and gets kiddo changed and then stands there by the car snuggling him for a bit. I'm thinking they're going to drive off after dcd gets his kiddo calmed down. Nope! They eventually walk up to my door to drop off!!

I said "ummmm, I'm sorry but I can't take him today since he's vomited." Dcd gets super mad. "His blueberry muffin just disagreed with his tummy. He doesn't have a fever." I said "I can email you a copy of my illness policy if you need me to??" He literally throws the bag of barf trash down on my porch and storms back to the car, puts kiddo in, and drives off all speedy fast.

ugh.....
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
Funny Story Of The Day!
Dcd pulls up this morning and runs up to my front door in a panic. Says dc kiddo barfed in the car and can he have some things to clean him up and some clothes from cubby. So I give him gloves, wipes, plastic bags and a change of clothes. He's out there cleaning for a bit and gets kiddo changed and then stands there by the car snuggling him for a bit. I'm thinking they're going to drive off after dcd gets his kiddo calmed down. Nope! They eventually walk up to my door to drop off!!

I said "ummmm, I'm sorry but I can't take him today since he's vomited." Dcd gets super mad. "His blueberry muffin just disagreed with his tummy. He doesn't have a fever." I said "I can email you a copy of my illness policy if you need me to??" He literally throws the bag of barf trash down on my porch and storms back to the car, puts kiddo in, and drives off all speedy fast.

ugh.....
No, he didn't.......

I get that he was upset and honestly reading along, I knew that was where your post was headed but I gasped at the disrespect of the bolded statement above.... I am not sure I could get over that one.

So sorry you had to deal with that... Maybe text him and tell him he forgot his barf.

Some parents....
Sunshine69 06:47 AM 08-25-2020
Funny Story Of The Day!

ugh.....
He’d definitely be getting his barf bag back probably with a termination notice for violating policy.

I feel bad for kids when their parents set such an immature, irresponsible example.
littlefriends 08:13 AM 08-25-2020
No, he didn't.......

I get that he was upset and honestly reading along, I knew that was where your post was headed but I gasped at the disrespect of the bolded statement above.... I am not sure I could get over that one.

So sorry you had to deal with that... Maybe text him and tell him he forgot his barf.

Some parents....
And he took the brand new pack of wipes I had handed him to clean with I went ahead and emailed both he and mom the copy of my illness policy anyway-just to be a brat.
Snowmom 08:15 AM 08-25-2020
Funny Story Of The Day!

ugh.....
Wow. I didn't find Dad funny. I think he's an a**.

Illnesses will be the end of me in this business. I will go bezerk on a parent one day.
I even had one bring in a kid today with 102 temp. I mean C'mon.
Cat Herder 08:35 AM 08-25-2020
And he took the brand new pack of wipes I had handed him to clean with I went ahead and emailed both he and mom the copy of my illness policy anyway-just to be a brat.
Add it to next weeks tuition along with the garbage disposal and cleaning fee for the possibly infected materials you were forced to clean due to his rudeness and arrogance.

Yes, I am serious.

I'd have given him an immediate termination.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 08-25-2020
Add it to next weeks tuition along with the garbage disposal and cleaning fee for the possibly infected materials you were forced to clean due to his rudeness and arrogance.

Yes, I am serious.

I'd have given him an immediate termination.

Like I said, I understand dad being upset HOWEVER, his behavior/reaction shows zero respect. Its a hurdle I would have a hard time getting past.

It's just so childish and selfish.
e.j. 11:21 AM 08-25-2020
It's just so childish and selfish.
...not to mention rude and totally unacceptable. I don't term often but that dcd's response would earn him a termination letter. Wow! I love that you stood up to him and sent him home, though - and then followed it up with a copy of your illness policy! Hopefully he won't try that again if you decide to let him return to your day care.
Unregistered 12:27 PM 08-25-2020
What don’t parents understand about play clothes for daycare only? Had a mom bring in a paint stained shirt and said if you do messy activity’s change my kid in to this. Seriously! No don’t bring them in stuff you don’t want dirty. It’s not a fashion show. Your kid is 2 they will get dirty playing and eating. I don’t have time to change your kids clothes three times a day!

Also makes me want to scream when they bring their kids in all white. Really? Or they have new shoes and I’m not supposed to let them get dirty.
Josiegirl 02:39 PM 08-25-2020
Not that I wish illness on his little guy but don't you just wish(a little bit) that he ended up vomiting all over dcd?

Just gotta love it when grown ups have toddler temper tantrums. Did he really expect you to take a child who'd just thrown up?
CeriBear 03:18 AM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What don’t parents understand about play clothes for daycare only? Had a mom bring in a paint stained shirt and said if you do messy activity’s change my kid in to this. Seriously! No don’t bring them in stuff you don’t want dirty. It’s not a fashion show. Your kid is 2 they will get dirty playing and eating. I don’t have time to change your kids clothes three times a day!

Also makes me want to scream when they bring their kids in all white. Really? Or they have new shoes and I’m not supposed to let them get dirty.
I once had a mom get highly upset with me when DCB got a bit of mud on his shirt. Apparently the shirt was new and she wanted him to be able to wear it to Church on Sundays. Why dress a child for preschool/daycare in their best clothes? We play outside. We do messy art and science. We eat lunch like pizza and spaghetti.
CountryRoads 07:37 AM 08-26-2020
I once had a mom get highly upset with me when DCB got a bit of mud on his shirt. Apparently the shirt was new and she wanted him to be able to wear it to Church on Sundays. Why dress a child for preschool/daycare in their best clothes? We play outside. We do messy art and science. We eat lunch like pizza and spaghetti.
I've never had a parent say anything about clothes, but I do have one dcp that almost everyday says something passive agressive like "You're gonna need a bath tonight", "You're dirty!" , "Well, guess it's bath night", etc.

Yes, we have dirt and kids play in it.
Cat Herder 09:30 AM 08-26-2020
I've never had a parent say anything about clothes, but I do have one dcp that almost everyday says something passive agressive like "You're gonna need a bath tonight", "You're dirty!" , "Well, guess it's bath night", etc.

Yes, we have dirt and kids play in it.
That is why I clean them up, change their clothes and do their hair before pick up. Parents appreciated that more than the expensive curriculum and take home projects I offered. Bonus: I stopped buying the expensive curriculum and projects.
Cat Herder 09:48 AM 08-28-2020
Elmer's school glue is useless. WTHeck?? Simple foam crafts and once the glue dries they comes right back apart. Why the change??? Why on Friday???

Aghhh Aghhh Aghhh

They were all ready to go home today. Aghhhh..... The kids were so excited.

Deep breaths. Chocolate. Game face. Story time voice..... I'll try Aleene's and a blow dryer once they doze off.

** So this was the last kick to the teeth this week that seemed to have pushed me over. What a truly craptastic week it has been.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
e.j. 12:07 PM 08-28-2020
I've had the same problem with Elmer's only use it rarely when we're making a paper craft. I usually use a glue stick or tacky glue. That stuff works great!
Cat Herder 12:48 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I've had the same problem with Elmer's only use it rarely when we're making a paper craft. I usually use a glue stick or tacky glue. That stuff works great!
It does. It saved the day.

I will do as you said, only for paper from now on.
CeriBear 04:10 AM 08-29-2020

I once had a child pee on the floor and then another child came and sat in it before I could stop him. It was rather embarrassing having to explain to dad why his child had on a different pair or pants and underwear that day.

My vent for the day. My new class has 11 boys and 5 girls. Quite a change from last year when I had 9 girls and 7 boys. I thought I’d never miss the girl drama but with these high energy boys I wish my biggest classroom problem was “she’s not letting me play” “this playhouse is only for 2” “ she said I was a meanie.” These boys are very active and they feed off each other. Thank goodness for outside time.
dolores 08:30 AM 08-29-2020
It does. It saved the day.

I will do as you said, only for paper from now on.
Over the years I've found the strength and quality of art materials deteriorate. Things don't stick like they used to, nor look and last like they used to.
284878 07:42 PM 08-31-2020
DCD picks up (outside), I take the kids back to the playground. DCD calls, he locked himself out of his running car. I bring the kids in the house to find a wire for him. Give him the wire and go back outside. I can hear him working and the kids playing and crying.

My alarm goes off, DCM is late! and I am worried that the kids are in the driveway. I take the kids inside to get dcb ready to go home and to check on dcd, he say the wire is too thin. I suggest he calls someone. He does.

I got back inside and tried to entertain my hungry kids and DCB that hasn't been picked up yet. DCM texted she forgot about DCB. Ugh.

I can't stand hearing the toddler cry outside so I contact DH to see if someone he's with can come help. DD gives DS cheese to calm him because it is past 6 pm. I take DCB outside to wait for DCM and help calm DCD kids. I let DCD know that I called for help, he is grateful.

I get the kids out of the driveway repeatedly, DCM arrive. DCM has trouble sending pick up text. Once DCM is gone, send DD in for cheese sticks for dcd kids, sit them both down to eat. Then DH arrives goes to the barn, grabs a wire gives it to dcd, then gets a piece of wood to help. It's open in seconds. About time, dcd loads up and calls his friends to say not to come at this point they are coming up the driveway.

It is now after 630, I still have to get supper, clean up the toys from day care, bath kids and ready for bed.

But wait there is more, once I sat down with my kids, my ma calls and my dad phone is not working. I am forced to call Verizon and I sit on hold for 30 mins. While I wait, I am reminded that I did not get a chance to go and I could not hold it any longer, so I head to the bathroom. While in there DD age 8 comes and tells me that DS age 2 has gone into the bathroom and striped himself, and sat on the toilet and.... she has to go.

When I get out, ds dressed, DD put his diaper and pants back on. She is awesome!
Josiegirl 03:18 AM 09-01-2020
I'm just curious how this all played out??
CountryRoads 07:23 AM 09-02-2020
Have a difficult dcg who is usually gone from lunchtime through nap for preschool. Dcm informed me this morning that she will not be taking her to school today so she can have a "day to herself."

It bums me out sometimes that I'm the person that everyone brings their kids to for a "me" day, but I don't have anyone to do that for me. And even if I did, I would feel guilty the second I left my kid there because they are only little for so long.

Not to mention if I ever closed for a "me" day, parents would be upset about it.

*sigh*
Rockgirl 07:56 AM 09-02-2020
Have a difficult dcg who is usually gone from lunchtime through nap for preschool. Dcm informed me this morning that she will not be taking her to school today so she can have a "day to herself."

It bums me out sometimes that I'm the person that everyone brings their kids to for a "me" day, but I don't have anyone to do that for me. And even if I did, I would feel guilty the second I left my kid there because they are only little for so long.

Not to mention if I ever closed for a "me" day, parents would be upset about it.

*sigh*
Just give plenty of notice and take a day. You don’t owe parents an explanation as to what the day is for. I stopped worrying a long time ago about their opinions of what I do with my time outside of daycare!
CountryRoads 07:44 AM 09-09-2020
Sent out a letter last a couple weeks ago explaining that if you're child is not at daycare PRIOR to snack time, then they must be fed AT HOME because they will miss out on snack time here.

Had a parent show up 2 minutes after snack time and asked if they missed snack. "Yes, everything is already put away." "I have food for her in the car, can I bring that in for her? She hasn't ate breakfast."

I make a point to be very blunt in my policies so there's no question, and it never fails that someone will push it
Annalee 08:10 AM 09-09-2020
Sent out a letter last a couple weeks ago explaining that if you're child is not at daycare PRIOR to snack time, then they must be fed AT HOME because they will miss out on snack time here.

Had a parent show up 2 minutes after snack time and asked if they missed snack. "Yes, everything is already put away." "I have food for her in the car, can I bring that in for her? She hasn't ate breakfast."

I make a point to be very blunt in my policies so there's no question, and it never fails that someone will push it
Always!!!! Mine are pushing the 8:00 AM drop off time. Most are working from home and lolly-gagging about coming in....and I have two parents that sat in the parking lot talking until 8:45 because working from home obviously just begins whenever they get back home???? It's been hard to fix because it seems there is always one coming in at 8:05 and they see each other do this.....
Cat Herder 10:21 AM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Always!!!! Mine are pushing the 8:00 AM drop off time. Most are working from home and lolly-gagging about coming in....and I have two parents that sat in the parking lot talking until 8:45 because working from home obviously just begins whenever they get back home???? It's been hard to fix because it seems there is always one coming in at 8:05 and they see each other do this.....
It is easy to fix. It only takes once per family. Turn them away at the door.

Just do it. Only you can.
Annalee 04:17 PM 09-09-2020
It is easy to fix. It only takes once per family. Turn them away at the door.

Just do it. Only you can.
So true, CH! I've lost my edge a little and need to get it back!
DaveA 06:02 AM 09-10-2020
It hasn’t left my mouth (yet ) but the phrase “God help your next provider!” has crossed my mind way too many times this week regarding DCK & DCP.
CountryRoads 06:59 AM 09-10-2020
I send out monthly newsletters that include any closures. If I have a closure that comes up that didn't get included on the newsletter, then I do a separate letter letting everyone know.

So, it's very frustrating when a dcp "forgets" or doesn't even know that I'm closed! Had one dcm tell me her child will be late on Friday. "I'm closed." "Oh, yeah. I knew that."

Talking to another dcm, I was telling her where I'm going towards the end of the month. Same dcm as earlier: "Are you closed that day?"

"Yes."
"Oh, I must not of seen it."

That closure was on the past 2 months of newsletters.

ARGH! Drives me crazy. I don't send out messages and newsletters for fun. Read them!!
Snowmom 01:32 PM 09-10-2020
I send out monthly newsletters that include any closures. If I have a closure that comes up that didn't get included on the newsletter, then I do a separate letter letting everyone know.

So, it's very frustrating when a dcp "forgets" or doesn't even know that I'm closed! Had one dcm tell me her child will be late on Friday. "I'm closed." "Oh, yeah. I knew that."

Talking to another dcm, I was telling her where I'm going towards the end of the month. Same dcm as earlier: "Are you closed that day?"

"Yes."
"Oh, I must not of seen it."

That closure was on the past 2 months of newsletters.

ARGH! Drives me crazy. I don't send out messages and newsletters for fun. Read them!!
I had a funny thing happen the other day.
I had scheduled a day off for September (scheduled in July) but later cancelled it (with several weeks notice) since I had to switch some things in October.
The day comes and dcm mentioned Monday what their "fun plans" were since I was closed Tuesday. I say "I am open tomorrow, I switched that awhile back. But if you prefer to keep dcg home, I'm happy to give you credit."
Several back tracking "oh's" and "um's" later, dcg is now coming and "fun plans" cancelled.

CeriBear 05:20 AM 09-12-2020
I had to send out a similar one about breakfast. At my center we serve breakfast from 8:15-8:30. If you want to wait until 8:45 to bring your child. that’s fine just please feed him breakfast at home.

Nap time pick ups don’t bother me as long as the parent lets me know ahead of time. That way I can have their child up and ready to go. If they are picking up shortly after nap time starts I do not lay the child down for a nap. I let him sit in the library playing with a quiet toy or looking at a book.
Rockgirl 05:03 AM 09-14-2020

Nap time pick ups don’t bother me as long as the parent lets me know ahead of time. That way I can have their child up and ready to go. If they are picking up shortly after nap time starts I do not lay the child down for a nap. I let him sit in the library playing with a quiet toy or looking at a book.
I did that a few times before changing my stance on that. They never show up when they say they will! It only took a few nap times of children sitting and waiting....and waiting. Now I tell them, “Text me when you’re leaving to head my way.” Then I get the child up and ready. If they don’t want them to lay down, they need to be here before nap.
CountryRoads 06:57 AM 09-24-2020
I hate getting asked what I'm doing on the days I'm closed.

"Doing anything fun tomorrow?"
"Do you have a doctors appointment or something?"

One of my many pet peeves from parents
Annalee 07:27 AM 09-24-2020
Isn't it funny how when you get an opening and you call first the person who has nagged you for over a year and they say "no, I'll pass this time if you won't let me do part-time" "oh yes, I will do part time but it's still full-time-paying for the slot" She says "oh no, can't do that". Fine by me, move on the next interview.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 09-24-2020
I hate getting asked what I'm doing on the days I'm closed.

"Doing anything fun tomorrow?"
"Do you have a doctors appointment or something?"

One of my many pet peeves from parents
I used to have a bunch of generic "back up" statements on standby for the times in which parents ask why I am closed or taking a day off.

Now when asked why I'm closing I literally just straight up say "Nothing that has anything to do with daycare" then I move the conversation along.

Honestly, depending on who is asking I will sometimes act offended that they are asking at all as it is over stepping and none of their business.
Bluemoon5 10:35 AM 09-24-2020
Why is common sense not a thing anymore? Or a basic work ethic? I just don't understand young people these days and now I'm even more annoyed because saying that makes me feel old.
CountryRoads 02:23 PM 09-24-2020
I used to have a bunch of generic "back up" statements on standby for the times in which parents ask why I am closed or taking a day off.

Now when asked why I'm closing I literally just straight up say "Nothing that has anything to do with daycare" then I move the conversation along.

Honestly, depending on who is asking I will sometimes act offended that they are asking at all as it is over stepping and none of their business.
I'll have to remember this for next time! I don't know why parents feel like they need to know - and I don't charge for closures, so they can't use that excuse. I don't ask them what they do on their days off

I don't take them very often at all, but what would you say if you were to take a day off, just to have a day off? I would be tempted to tell them "I'm doing nothing tomorrow! Taking a day to myself" just so they know that I'm entitled to those, too
springv 04:51 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Bluemoon5:
Why is common sense not a thing anymore? Or a basic work ethic? I just don't understand young people these days and now I'm even more annoyed because saying that makes me feel old.
I agree with you I'm 32 and been working in a center for 7 years as an aide and instead of some people especially younger then myself doing what they're suppose to do, they expect me to do it. Naptime is awful because I'm up doing things (making snack, washing dishes, giving breaks in the other building ect) and the ones that are watching the children in the gym are on their cell phones with their earbuds in and watching movies. No cleaning or planning for their classes until they decide to do it at the end of the day
Josiegirl 03:18 AM 09-25-2020
Hugs and good thoughts to all of you for your rough days, the chaos in your lives, the never-ending stress and needs of children and parents in your lives!!! May your week end on a positive happy relieved note and you can look forward to your weekend!!
284878 06:11 AM 09-25-2020
I'll have to remember this for next time! I don't know why parents feel like they need to know - and I don't charge for closures, so they can't use that excuse. I don't ask them what they do on their days off

I don't take them very often at all, but what would you say if you were to take a day off, just to have a day off? I would be tempted to tell them "I'm doing nothing tomorrow! Taking a day to myself" just so they know that I'm entitled to those, too
I don't know your client, you do but I would think some of them maybe asking out of friendliness/ kindness not to be nosey?

I know when my foster kids were in dc, I may have asked in passing, just to be nice. I honestly was not asking to be rude or judge what she was doing but just as a friendly question. I have asked my hairdresser, the guy at the meat market, the librarian, ect the same thing, just to be polite not because I really care what they do in there free time.
284878 06:17 AM 09-25-2020
I agree with you I'm 32 and been working in a center for 7 years as an aide and instead of some people especially younger then myself doing what they're suppose to do, they expect me to do it. Naptime is awful because I'm up doing things (making snack, washing dishes, giving breaks in the other building ect) and the ones that are watching the children in the gym are on their cell phones with their earbuds in and watching movies. No cleaning or planning for their classes until they decide to do it at the end of the day
This sounds like a Martha /Mary situation, they are taking some downtime and you are not. Are you taking a break of do you work through the entire nap?
CountryRoads 07:33 AM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I don't know your client, you do but I would think some of them maybe asking out of friendliness/ kindness not to be nosey?

I know when my foster kids were in dc, I may have asked in passing, just to be nice. I honestly was not asking to be rude or judge what she was doing but just as a friendly question. I have asked my hairdresser, the guy at the meat market, the librarian, ect the same thing, just to be polite not because I really care what they do in there free time.
Maybe a couple of them ask just to be kind. I just usually get side-eyes and comments whenever I'm closed, so that's why I feel like it's nosey-ness - not kindness - when I'm asked what I'm doing on my day off.

This morning, a dcm asked where I went and what I did
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 09-28-2020
DCM just returned from a LOOOOOONG weekend out of state with her 1 yr old. Monday is not a normal day of attendance.

DCM drops off this morning and says "DCK is super cranky due to getting very little sleep last night. I was going to let DCK sleep in since my parents are here but I couldn't do that to them." *hands DCK over*" Leaves.....

... thanks for doing that to me.
springv 02:53 PM 09-28-2020
I eat lunch and do snack about 1:30 or so because they get it at 2. Some of the teachers got ill because I didn't get it over there quick enough and the administrator (whose been there forever and thinks she runs the place and can be a real witch and a nosy Nellie if I decide to take off because she has to do t the things I do).
PB&J 05:05 PM 09-28-2020
DCM just returned from a LOOOOOONG weekend out of state with her 1 yr old. Monday is not a normal day of attendance.

DCM drops off this morning and says "DCK is super cranky due to getting very little sleep last night. I was going to let DCK sleep in since my parents are here but I couldn't do that to them." *hands DCK over*" Leaves.....

... thanks for doing that to me.
YOU let that go?? Pllleeeeeease tell me you at least got a zinger in.
Blackcat31 05:34 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
YOU let that go?? Pllleeeeeease tell me you at least got a zinger in.
In context she really didn’t mean it as an insult.... first time mom and all. Excellent family in all other ways...

I knew she meant I represent stability and comfort for her child in comparison to grandparents that live out of state (child doesn’t know as well) so although it’s kind of offensive to hear, I do know she didn’t mean it that way.

I guess my vent was more about how much parents don’t realize how what they say comes across to us sometimes.
Littlepeopleprovider 11:04 AM 10-01-2020

I guess my vent was more about how much parents don’t realize how what they say comes across to us sometimes.
I'm right there today too! A mom of a child today says in a snarky tone "oh, by the way, what type of detergent do you use on the nap mat sheets?" I said "Tide." Then she said "oh he's allergic to that, you don't use the Free and Clear???" Uuuummm, NO! I don't and I'm so sick of these types of things afte they are already enrolled. TELL ME THIS STUFF DURING THE INTERVIEWS!!!
Blackcat31 05:42 PM 10-07-2020
Not daycare related at all but I am absolutely heartbroken that Eddie Van Halen is dead.

So much of my pre teen and teen years were spent absolutely loving Van Halen...
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61  ... Last
Reply Up