Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outgrown the Stroller; Now What? Recommendations?
nothingwithoutjoy 04:54 PM 06-27-2012
At the moment, all my kids are 3.5 to 8. We haven't needed a stroller (for pushing kids) for quite a while, but when I go on a long outing, I need some way to tote all the stuff (diaper bag, picnic basket, nets for the river, whatever). And, maybe, on occasion, a weary child. But I don't like bringing the stroller anymore, because then some of the kids (used to getting pushed around at home), of course want to ride, and I think it's just simpler not to have to argue about it, but rather get a more appropriate vehicle. I have a radio flyer wagon, but it's kid-sized (too short for my tall self to pull comfortably). I'd love recommendations on what you love. A bigger, better wagon? Something else? Where'd you get it? I don't have much time for comparison shopping these days, so thought I'd try your expertise!
jojosmommy 06:51 PM 06-27-2012
Bring the wagon and make the kids pull it. Choose a "helper of the day" that person gets to pull the wagon . At my house they all fight over who is "helper of the day" JK.

We have a step two wagon and a radio flyer one. I like both for different trips.

In other words, I have no real suggestions.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:00 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Bring the wagon and make the kids pull it. ...
In other words, I have no real suggestions.
Thanks for the reply, anyway.

I should have said I do make them pull it, but sometimes, when we're all weary and we're going to be late for nap if we drag along any slower, it would be nice for me to take my own turn, too.
spud912 09:46 PM 06-27-2012
I saw a really cool fold-up wagon at Costco the other day. I'm not sure if the handle is longer than the wagon you have, though. I just really liked the idea that you could fold it up and tuck it away. I think my husband said it was $45.
Solandia 04:17 AM 06-28-2012
I have the kids carry their own stuff in a backpack (extra toys, water bottle/lunch). I have a probably 6+ of those drawstring ones, if the child does already have his own here. I have my own backpack as well, with a small first aid kit, my own lunch, few toys, and a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth.
Unregistered 04:43 AM 06-28-2012
I have found that one of the wagons you buy for gardening work great. They are adult size and can hold a lot of gear. Some models have removable sides, great for that tired child to sit on the edge for a ride! They also have good tires for any rough terrain. Up here in Canada you can get them at Home Depot, Lowes etc.
Meyou 04:47 AM 06-28-2012
Can you extend your wagon handle? I found mine too short too and my DH found something at the hardware store that he attached to make a longer handle for me. It's great to pull now.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:45 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I saw a really cool fold-up wagon at Costco the other day. I'm not sure if the handle is longer than the wagon you have, though. I just really liked the idea that you could fold it up and tuck it away. I think my husband said it was $45.
Ooh, I like that, too; we have very limited storage space. Will look into it.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:46 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Can you extend your wagon handle? I found mine too short too and my DH found something at the hardware store that he attached to make a longer handle for me. It's great to pull now.
That's a good idea. It's a too-small, beat-up wagon, though, so I think I'm ready to upgrade. Thanks!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:46 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have found that one of the wagons you buy for gardening work great. They are adult size and can hold a lot of gear. Some models have removable sides, great for that tired child to sit on the edge for a ride! They also have good tires for any rough terrain. Up here in Canada you can get them at Home Depot, Lowes etc.
Good idea! I'll look into these.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:47 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
I have the kids carry their own stuff in a backpack (extra toys, water bottle/lunch). I have a probably 6+ of those drawstring ones, if the child does already have his own here. I have my own backpack as well, with a small first aid kit, my own lunch, few toys, and a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth.
That's a good idea. I guess I must pack heavy!
heyhun77 07:42 PM 06-28-2012
In the summer when we walk to/from baseball and have all the stuff with to keep the rest that aren't playing happy/busy plus snacks and the rest of the stuff we need with us I use a nice sized rolling backpack plus I wear the regular field trip backpack with the basics in it. The one I found fits tons of stuff including four or five wipes containers or 3 or 4 plastic coffee cans (both of which I use to store the items I bring with like playdough, sidewalk chalk, cars, plastic animals/people, small plush animals, paper and crayons, ect).
Meeko 12:53 PM 06-29-2012
I want several of these!!!!!! (Dream on Meeko!)
Attached: buggy.jpg (30.3 KB) 
Michael 12:59 PM 06-29-2012

You could put 5 on this one and its electric.
queenbee 01:04 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I want several of these!!!!!! (Dream on Meeko!)
Meeko - I'm selling my 6-seat Bye Bye Buggy. I've upgraded to a Choo Choo Wagon. Want it?

You'd have to come to NM to get it.....
Meeko 01:20 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Meeko - I'm selling my 6-seat Bye Bye Buggy. I've upgraded to a Choo Choo Wagon. Want it?

You'd have to come to NM to get it.....
I wish! Now I gotta look up a choo choo wagon.......

countrymom 02:41 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have one from TSC. Its the best and can hold alot, and also it came with a removable canopy. Now I did pay almost 200 dollars for it, but it came with all the removable padding, the canopy and the sides are removable so I use it for other things. Whatever you do make sure you get tires that you need to pump because they are the best to push or pull.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:09 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have one from TSC. Its the best and can hold alot, and also it came with a removable canopy. Now I did pay almost 200 dollars for it, but it came with all the removable padding, the canopy and the sides are removable so I use it for other things. Whatever you do make sure you get tires that you need to pump because they are the best to push or pull.
Wow--looking them up online, it looks like you got a deal! This sounds ideal, if I could find one that's a decent price, too. Thanks.
cheerfuldom 06:18 PM 06-29-2012
Those huge strollers are crazy. I wouldnt push anything more than a double stroller and I make anyone that can walk, walk. The kids carry their own things in backpacks. I guess I dont understand what all is being carried to and fro that the kids cant carry? Even my kids just over a year walk and carry a backpack if necessary. We tailor our walks based on what the younger ones are capable of doing.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:11 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Those huge strollers are crazy. I wouldnt push anything more than a double stroller and I make anyone that can walk, walk. The kids carry their own things in backpacks. I guess I dont understand what all is being carried to and fro that the kids cant carry? Even my kids just over a year walk and carry a backpack if necessary. We tailor our walks based on what the younger ones are capable of doing.
I totally agree about walking. Big kids getting pushed in strollers everywhere is a pet peeve of mine and part of why I want to leave it at home. But I do tend to bring a bunch of stuff if we're going out all morning; I like to be prepared, and I also don't use disposables (paper plates, plastic baggies, etc). So, for example, heading out for a morning at the river the other day, we brought a big picnic basket with food for all of us (including plates, lots of water for a hot day, food in bulky containers), the diaper bag (diapers, change of clothes, emergency info, first aid, camera, clipboard, etc). Just the water alone would have been a lot of weight for a young child to have to tote a mile. Another example: we walk to the hardware store and buy something huge: 50 lbs of playground sand, a new shovel, etc. These are things I've lugged home on the stroller in the past. We're walking to go somewhere and do something, not just for a walk around the block.
cheerfuldom 08:20 AM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
I totally agree about walking. Big kids getting pushed in strollers everywhere is a pet peeve of mine and part of why I want to leave it at home. But I do tend to bring a bunch of stuff if we're going out all morning; I like to be prepared, and I also don't use disposables (paper plates, plastic baggies, etc). So, for example, heading out for a morning at the river the other day, we brought a big picnic basket with food for all of us (including plates, lots of water for a hot day, food in bulky containers), the diaper bag (diapers, change of clothes, emergency info, first aid, camera, clipboard, etc). Just the water alone would have been a lot of weight for a young child to have to tote a mile. Another example: we walk to the hardware store and buy something huge: 50 lbs of playground sand, a new shovel, etc. These are things I've lugged home on the stroller in the past. We're walking to go somewhere and do something, not just for a walk around the block.
It sounds like you are running serious errands here and probably have different needs than the average daycare provider.....not sure how big of a group you have or the ages so I am sure that is a big factor. I guess you are in a unique situation. I would just run those errands at a later time and not try to squeeze everything into one time. I dont use disposable products either but if we take a long a meal, I do everything finger foods and cut down on all the extra stuff needed. Maybe rethinking what you actually "need" and where you go would be a good way to start and perhaps your current wagon/stroller arrangement would work once again? just a thought.
Solandia 08:26 AM 06-30-2012
Think more compact, less "bulk"! Serious. I have it down to an artform...I have 2 toddlers, a preteen, and a teen --- we often spend whole days at the fair, the zoo, and bring out own food/snack, & drinks and it really doesn't take a wagon. And if we are taking the train to the zoo or downtown, we only use umbrella strollers for the little ones, so no double stroller, no wagon at all. It is really quite "freeing", for lack of a better term, to not be overburdened with stuff to keep track.

A square ziploc reusable container holds a sandwich, a 100 calorie pack, and a small handful of grapes. And a juice pouch if the child doesn't care if his sandwich is smooshed. Perfect! Each child has their own extra diapers, and extra outfit, and some wipes. Not a big wipe box, but a refill ones, with the resealable opening. Snacks for later in the day/morning...each kids keeps theirs in their own backpack...a fruit cup, some crackers, and a string cheese. Each one has their own sippy cup or water bottle with ice water. It is too much for a 2yo(who would likely be in a stroller for longer trips anyway), but for 3yo+ it is perfectly fine. Most venues will refill the kids' cups with ice and tap water for free and virtually all places that we go have drinking fountains available to refill cups. Dh and I have our own backpacks, and dh's has a camelbak inside of his.I keep the first aid kit, tablecloth, etc in mine (and any little kid meds). My big kids - 10yo+ keep their own asthma meds in their backpack. In addition, each child's backpack - a little laminated card clipped on --my information, the child's name & allergy info, and the parent's phone. Any extra stuff (sand toys or pool toys, depending on where we are going)..has their own bag that stays packed and put away until needed. Just grab and go.

Once you have a system down...it is nice, because there is little dinking around at meal & snack...the kids can set up their own, clean up their mess and be independent. It's neat, because I am not handing out or organizing lunch or snacktime.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:51 AM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It sounds like you are running serious errands here
No, not errands, like it sounds like you're thinking. What I'm talking about is things I do with the children, for the children. For example, when the kids were all into the circus, and together we decided to create a circus of our own, and we needed rope and dowels and rubber tubing, we walked to the hardware store to get it. Going there, talking to the people who work there, finding what we need, paying for it, etc. are not "errands" to us but a big piece of our curriculum.

Right now I have 6-8 children, ages 3-8. Usually 6 children, ages 2-5. We are out in the community a lot, for a wide variety of reasons, and I find I need a way to tote things, beyond what the kids can carry. Sounds like you don't. I think we all have "unique situations," as you said.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:56 AM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
...each child's backpack - a little laminated card clipped on --my information, the child's name & allergy info, and the parent's phone. Any extra stuff (sand toys or pool toys, depending on where we are going)..has their own bag that stays packed and put away until needed. Just grab and go.

Once you have a system down...it is nice, because there is little dinking around at meal & snack...the kids can set up their own, clean up their mess and be independent. It's neat, because I am not handing out or organizing lunch or snacktime.
Hm. I'll have to consider backpacks for smaller trips.

I think it's because of how we buy/store/pack things that makes it different for me. I don't buy plastic, or packaged foods, or individual portions of things. So for me, packing is easiest in larger containers.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 07-01-2012
No, not errands, like it sounds like you're thinking. What I'm talking about is things I do with the children, for the children. For example, when the kids were all into the circus, and together we decided to create a circus of our own, and we needed rope and dowels and rubber tubing, we walked to the hardware store to get it. Going there, talking to the people who work there, finding what we need, paying for it, etc. are not "errands" to us but a big piece of our curriculum.

Right now I have 6-8 children, ages 3-8. Usually 6 children, ages 2-5. We are out in the community a lot, for a wide variety of reasons, and I find I need a way to tote things, beyond what the kids can carry. Sounds like you don't. I think we all have "unique situations," as you said.
I don't have any advice about the wagon or stroller but I wanted to say COOL!!!!!! that you integrate the purchasing of materials into your curriculum!

Buying the stuff, talking to the sales staff and counting and measuring what is needed is all important and those steps are often over looked (as being educational too) and done solely by the provider so the kids don't have a part in it....but how you do things sounds really really cool!

So
nothingwithoutjoy 06:05 PM 07-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have any advice about the wagon or stroller but I wanted to say COOL!!!!!! that you integrate the purchasing of materials into your curriculum!

Buying the stuff, talking to the sales staff and counting and measuring what is needed is all important and those steps are often over looked (as being educational too) and done solely by the provider so the kids don't have a part in it....but how you do things sounds really really cool!

So
Thanks for saying so. :-)
SunnyDay 04:38 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

So
I agree, what a great "real world" experience for them.
Meyou 06:29 AM 07-03-2012
I use a garden cart or utility cart like another poster mentioned. It was about $100 at the hardware store. I sewed an quilted insert for it with seatbelts and can sit 4 easily. basically a big rectangle with ties to attach and holes for the seatbelts to strap through. We attached a little tote on the back for our stuff. We go to the beach alot so there are things I need and the littles are much too tired to walk on the way home let alone carry their own things.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:42 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I agree, what a great "real world" experience for them.
Exactly. This is one of the reasons I prefer family child care to center-based or public-school-based preschool, as I've done in the past. There are so many more opportunities for real-world learning.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:43 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I use a garden cart or utility cart like another poster mentioned. It was about $100 at the hardware store. I sewed an quilted insert for it with seatbelts and can sit 4 easily. basically a big rectangle with ties to attach and holes for the seatbelts to strap through. We attached a little tote on the back for our stuff. We go to the beach alot so there are things I need and the littles are much too tired to walk on the way home let alone carry their own things.
I love the sound of your quilted insert for tired littles!
And how jealous I am that you can walk to the beach!
Tags:stroller
Reply Up