Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>List of Foods?
Mdc613 05:43 AM 01-14-2015
I had my first interview last night. This family loved it here and they want to start next week. They told me that their two year old is very picky and only eats certain foods. Like down to the brand. And it was mostly things like chicken nuggets. I don't think my 2 year old son has even seen a chicken nugget. I was nervous and just kind of nodded to the list of food they were telling me about. Now I'm wondering if this will end up being a problem. They are very part time so it won't be an issue all the time. But I would prefer to give the kids the same healthy meals. (I'm not on any food program)

Anyone have and experience or advice for this?
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 01-14-2015
Yes, this will be a problem.

I serve healthy (organic when possible) foods that are rarely boxed or processed. The kids choose to eat or not.

Food battles are NOT something I will ever engage in.

I serve, they eat.

I don't take special requests and I certainly don't offer any type of "menu" items that parents say their child eats.

All too often parents say "My child will only eat xx" but the reason they only eat xx is because the parent caters to them and offers only what the child says he likes without ever prompting other foods.

Heck given the choice most kids would choose to only eat candy or pancakes or PBJ's but that's not okay so as the adult its their responsibility to provide healthy options, role model good eating habits and not engage in food wars.

I would never ever have agreed to serve the things the child likes. I would have said this is my menu and an example of things I serve. You child can choose from the healthy options I offer.

And left it at that.
Unregistered 06:06 AM 01-14-2015
I would just feed him what you prepare for everyone and he will either eat it or go home and eat they feed him at home. Don't serve separate meals and don't make it an issue. If the mom or dad ask specifically what you feed him and have issues with it, just keep it simple and say something like "all the kids eat the same foods each day and dck is doing great and trying all sorts of new foods". If they make it a major issue, they may need to move on or hire a nanny. I make the same meal for everyone, they can eat it or not, but I am not a chef and I do not cater to picky eaters.
Second Home 07:03 AM 01-14-2015
I do not serve special meals . Though I try to serve foods that a child will not eat on days they are not here , but I have 2 part timers so it is not that hard . If I had all full time kids then that would not be possible and they would need to eat what I serve everyone.
midaycare 07:11 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, this will be a problem.

I serve healthy (organic when possible) foods that are rarely boxed or processed. The kids choose to eat or not.

Food battles are NOT something I will ever engage in.

I serve, they eat.

I don't take special requests and I certainly don't offer any type of "menu" items that parents say their child eats.

All too often parents say "My child will only eat xx" but the reason they only eat xx is because the parent caters to them and offers only what the child says he likes without ever prompting other foods.

Heck given the choice most kids would choose to only eat candy or pancakes or PBJ's but that's not okay so as the adult its their responsibility to provide healthy options, role model good eating habits and not engage in food wars.

I would never ever have agreed to serve the things the child likes. I would have said this is my menu and an example of things I serve. You child can choose from the healthy options I offer.

And left it at that.
Yes, yes & yes. And no outside food! I get tired of parents trying to bring donut holes and McDonalds for everyone to share. Or just for their child. Nope!
preschoolteacher 07:41 AM 01-14-2015
Yes, this will be a problem. They gave you a list of foods and they will expect you to buy and provide these foods for their child. They will be upset if you don't. I would deal with this before they enroll because it's sure to come up again later.
TheGoodLife 07:47 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Heck given the choice most kids would choose to only eat candy or pancakes or PBJ's
There are days that I would prefer some junk food over healthy meals (but that could be my gestational diabetes talking... I crave PB&J some days ) I agree with PPs, I would just serve what you normally do and let the kids know they can choose to eat it or not. I would never make special meals for my own kids, none the less the daycare kids. If you take the child, you'll have to explain that all kids eat the same and no outside food is allowed. I've been told kids have been picky... they eat for me My own oldest wouldn't eat much at home, but would eat a ton in daycare!
Mdc613 08:28 AM 01-14-2015
Thanks everyone. I knew as soon as they left that I should have told them that all kids eat what I serve them. I guess I was too in the moment of "wow they really like me!" Lol. Now that the first interview is over and I'm not nervous anymore, I will just tell them. And they can take it or leave it.
Tags:food list, menu
Reply Up