Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mondays!!!!
Sherrihoos 09:58 AM 04-24-2017
Monday's are so frustrating for me!!! Since the parents don't put their kids down for naps on the weekends, or they are giving only short naps, then their kids are tired and crying and laying all over the floor on Monday! This job is really hard and frustrating! Any other providers find this to be true?
Josiegirl 10:12 AM 04-24-2017
Yes. And then comes quiet time and they can't or won't settle down.
Poptarts22 10:14 AM 04-24-2017
Yep. Monday's are brutal. Kids have ran wild all weekend and stay up too late and then come here completely off schedule. My worst one is a dcb4 who spends about 75 hrs a week here, then mom spends her weekends traveling to competitions with teenage daughter and leaves him with ham...then wonders why he is a neurotic mess at drop off. Recently I saw mom was trying to revoke their pets because she didn't have time for them-she also needs to regime her kids
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by Sherrihoos:
Monday's are so frustrating for me!!! Since the parents don't put their kids down for naps on the weekends, or they are giving only short naps, then their kids are tired and crying and laying all over the floor on Monday! This job is really hard and frustrating! Any other providers find this to be true?
Don't stress about what parents do or don't do.

Worry only about IF the children are prepared for the day or IF they are able to participate as normal.

If not (laying on the floor whining etc) then send them home. Parents WILL get it when it becomes an issue for them. Right now, the only one having to deal with this is you.
JackandJill 10:36 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Don't stress about what parents do or don't do.

Worry only about IF the children are prepared for the day or IF they are able to participate as normal.

If not (laying on the floor whining etc) then send them home. Parents WILL get it when it becomes an issue for them. Right now, the only one having to deal with this is you.
This!! I included crying/being out of sorts to my illness and pick up policies and then enforced it. If kids are not up to what I have planned/scheduled, they go home. It doesn't take long for parents to do the work needed on their end to ensure their children are ready for care Monday morning.

No more frustration or emotion, just a quick text "Hi DCM, Susie is not able to settle into the routine today, she will need to be picked up within the hour."
Pepperth 10:44 AM 04-24-2017
I'm actually liking today. So far the kids did come in all tired, but they fell asleep at nap super easy and I expect a long nap today.
childcaremom 10:46 AM 04-24-2017
We spend our Monday mornings outside. They can lie around out there if they like, I don't mind. Whining and tears sounds less awful if there aren't walls to contain it.

In all seriousness, if it was to the point where they aren't playing/participating, or are falling asleep, and/or excessively whining/crying, then I would absolutely call for pick up.

Otherwise, I plan for a full morning outdoors in the fresh air, early lunch and extended naps. My group normally sleeps 1.5 hours and today is going on 3+.
Ariana 11:05 AM 04-24-2017
On those days I always do an early lunch and early nap! Otherwise call the parents and get them to pick them up, this is not your issues at all
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
On those days I always do an early lunch and early nap!
Same here, plus extra servings of veggies and proteins.

Today had the bonus of thunderstorms. I "let them" assist me with waxing unit blocks with bees wax crayons to calm them down before nap, as well. Worked like a charm.
Sherrihoos 02:50 PM 04-24-2017
Such great advice! I guess I always just deal with it! I'm going to call the parent next time crying keeps up all day. But will be having a talk with parent today at pick up! I love this forum!!! Thank you!
Tags:retraining day
Reply Up