Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist Scam? Why?
Unregistered 07:42 PM 08-30-2012
I have an ad on Craigslist, and I just received two identical e-mails, but from two seperate names. Both say:
"Hello
I hope your service still available"

It sounds like a scam email to me, but why would they just say that? If they wanted to get money from me, wouldn't they have given more information in their e-mail? Is there anything (that I don't want them to know) that they can get from me by emailing them back? My email is annonymous on craigslist, but if I email them, it shows my name and email address. Do you think that is what they want? But if it is, why?
Breezy 08:01 PM 08-30-2012
I have had it where I have responded to emails before that seemed legit and then my email address is somehow hacked and everyone in my address book is then emailed some spam constantly. ****, ads, links for them to click on etc.
Crazy8 08:10 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I have had it where I have responded to emails before that seemed legit and then my email address is somehow hacked and everyone in my address book is then emailed some spam constantly. ****, ads, links for them to click on etc.
yup this!!! They are fishing to get your real email address - right now they just have the CL one, but if you respond they get your real email. I don't know HOW they then get your address book contacts but they send the email looking like its coming from you. Don't respond to them!!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:40 AM 08-31-2012
Total scam! ugh I DISPISE scammers and spammers!
Lyss 01:13 PM 08-31-2012
I haven't responded to any of theses thankfully *knock on wood* but I have a provider friend that did and she spent weeks dealing with email and cell phone spam (she included her phone number in the response).

I always scroll down when I receive an email because I've seen ones that look really legit until you scroll down a little and there are a bunch of random letters across the bottom. Scam.

It's annoying the lengths people go to just to get your information. Someone sits around all day responding to ads (or setting up bots that do it automatically) just to get your information
MyAngels 01:27 PM 08-31-2012
I have a junk gmail address I set up to use for Craigslist and anything online that you have to give an e-mail address for (like coupons and such). I used fake information to set it up, and go in every couple of weeks or so and purge it out so it'll stay active.

I only give out my real e-mail address to a chosen few .
Reply Up