Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink eye 😕🙈😩
DestinyAja 03:10 PM 06-07-2016
I have a home daycare that I run with 2 of my own children in attendance. My boys are 3 years old and 5 months olds. My 3 year old was diagnosed with pink eye today. What do I do? Should I tell the other parents that I have to shut down for a few days? Do I give him the medication and hope none of the other children contract it? Do I tell the other parents to proceed with caution? Do I keep him isolated all day long while the other children are present?
Pestle 03:26 PM 06-07-2016
Absolutely tell the other parents about the presence of pinkeye. I don't suppose the nurse did a test to see if it's viral or bacterial . . . they never test our kid to see. They say, "Stops being contagious 24 hours after starting the medication." What instructions came with the diagnosis?
Josiegirl 03:41 PM 06-07-2016
I would give the others a heads up and give them the choice if they want to attend or not, then try to keep him as away from the others as you can through tomorrow. After that it should be fine.
DestinyAja 07:54 PM 06-07-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Absolutely tell the other parents about the presence of pinkeye. I don't suppose the nurse did a test to see if it's viral or bacterial . . . they never test our kid to see. They say, "Stops being contagious 24 hours after starting the medication." What instructions came with the diagnosis?
The instructions are to put 1 drop in the eye, 3 times a day, for 7 days.
Thriftylady 07:58 PM 06-07-2016
I think after 24 hours on the drops it is fine if I remember right. You can either close, or give parents a choice. The main fear I would have is they keep passing it around.
Blackcat31 05:14 AM 06-08-2016
I'd follow the same exclusionary policies you have for the daycare kids.

If your child has pink eye I would either not have them in care and if that is not possible I would close.

After he's been on the drops or antibiotics for 24 hours I'd reopen or allow him to be present.

I would not give parents the choice to come because they will. Then you will have pink eye being passed back and forth for much longer than necessary.

Illness among your own family members is going to be common. Have a plan now so you aren't caught on the spot later.
Ariana 08:27 AM 06-08-2016
I close for pinkeye at least 48 hours because it is highly contagious. If it is bacterial it should be pretty clear within that time frame on antibiotics. Viral pinkeye is a bit trickier because a virus from a cold has caused it and antibiotics won't work. I still close for 48 hours but explain the virus to the parents and after that time it is up to them to come to care or not. I don't find viral pinkeye to be as bad because although the cold itself is contagious it doesn't always present as pinkeye for all kids. My daughter gets pinkeye with her colds a lot and we have never caught it from her.
Tags:pink eye
Reply Up