Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keepsakes
Abigail 09:17 PM 03-07-2011
Does anyone do keepsakes just for fun to send with the parent once their child no longer attends daycare? I was thinking about having a measuring chart for each child. I would have the date, the measured height, and add the weight right next to the line. I would do this every so often, maybe monthly or every three months?
Reply
Rachel 01:44 AM 03-08-2011
My son's dcp does t-shirts at the end of the year. She decorates the front with their name & symbol, and the kids do the back. Cheap and the kids love them. I plan on doing something similar next year when I open.
Reply
kendallina 03:47 AM 03-08-2011
Throughout the time that they're here I do a portfolio (kind of like a scrapbook) for the families. It has pictures the child has drawn/painted and also photographs that I've taken. It's a HUGE hit with the families and children. I put them all in sheet protectors and in a binder so that it stays really nice and I keep them in our classroom so that the children can look through them throughout the year.
Reply
melizaheins 07:17 PM 08-30-2011
Hello Abigail, that's one of the nicest things to be done to keep the memories of your kid as a child back then.
Reply
gkids09 07:40 PM 08-31-2011
I take pictures of the kids from day 1 in my care, & make them a dvd slideshow with music and a little note at the end. I give it to them on their last day in care. I have never had a parent who didn't thank me for it (and we all know how hard thank you's are to come by sometimes!) I find them fun to make too!
Reply
Abigail 08:55 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by melizaheins:
Hello Abigail, that's one of the nicest things to be done to keep the memories of your kid as a child back then.

Thank you!


Originally Posted by gkids09:
I take pictures of the kids from day 1 in my care, & make them a dvd slideshow with music and a little note at the end. I give it to them on their last day in care. I have never had a parent who didn't thank me for it (and we all know how hard thank you's are to come by sometimes!) I find them fun to make too!
What if they are with you from 12 months to K? Do you keep all those years together or do you do it yearly?
Reply
melizaheins 01:23 AM 09-01-2011
You are welcome!
Reply
Rachel 02:47 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I take pictures of the kids from day 1 in my care, & make them a dvd slideshow with music and a little note at the end. I give it to them on their last day in care. I have never had a parent who didn't thank me for it (and we all know how hard thank you's are to come by sometimes!) I find them fun to make too!
What program do you use to do that?

I was also thinking about making a scrapbook for the year for each child. We do things by the school year here (I just opened today), so I was thinking of it today as my little 14 month old drew his first pictures (here at least :-) )
Reply
MsMe 06:57 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Rachel:
What program do you use to do that?

I was also thinking about making a scrapbook for the year for each child. We do things by the school year here (I just opened today), so I was thinking of it today as my little 14 month old drew his first pictures (here at least :-) )
I make a slide show every year @ Christmas. I use Movie Maker. It is a free download and works wonderfull!!
Reply
gkids09 09:01 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
What if they are with you from 12 months to K? Do you keep all those years together or do you do it yearly?
I keep all the years together and then when they leave for Kindergarten or move or whatever, I make the DVD. It COULD be done yearly, if you are wanting them to have a keepsake every year, but I just finished one for a kid who has been here since he was 2, and went to kindergarten, and his was about 20 minutes long. If you do it yearly, you probably won't have a very long DVD.
For yearly keepsakes, I do calendars with one picture of the kid doing something they enjoy (or just a cute picture) on every month from the previous year. (2012 calendar would have a picture of the kid on every month from 2011.) Does that make sense?

Originally Posted by Rachel:
What program do you use to do that?

I was also thinking about making a scrapbook for the year for each child. We do things by the school year here (I just opened today), so I was thinking of it today as my little 14 month old drew his first pictures (here at least :-) )
I use Windows Live Movie Maker! It is very simple to use, and FREE! lol
I have tried to do scrapbooks before of their artwork.. I keep all of their artwork until Friday anyway, so at the end of the week I would pick their best one and save it so they'd have one per week for their scrapbook, or 52 pages. I didn't stay with it long, just because I was in school, planning a wedding, buying a house, getting ready to move out, etc and it was too time consuming to do it all. It is a GREAT idea though, if you have the time to do it!
Reply
Rachel 04:39 AM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I keep all the years together and then when they leave for Kindergarten or move or whatever, I make the DVD. It COULD be done yearly, if you are wanting them to have a keepsake every year, but I just finished one for a kid who has been here since he was 2, and went to kindergarten, and his was about 20 minutes long. If you do it yearly, you probably won't have a very long DVD.
For yearly keepsakes, I do calendars with one picture of the kid doing something they enjoy (or just a cute picture) on every month from the previous year. (2012 calendar would have a picture of the kid on every month from 2011.) Does that make sense?



I use Windows Live Movie Maker! It is very simple to use, and FREE! lol
I have tried to do scrapbooks before of their artwork.. I keep all of their artwork until Friday anyway, so at the end of the week I would pick their best one and save it so they'd have one per week for their scrapbook, or 52 pages. I didn't stay with it long, just because I was in school, planning a wedding, buying a house, getting ready to move out, etc and it was too time consuming to do it all. It is a GREAT idea though, if you have the time to do it!
Yes, was thinking of just buying a binder and those plastic sleeves and shoving a picture in every so often. I know as a parent I would have so appreciated that. I get gobs home daily and it's overwhelming to sort / put away / throw it away. It is mostly shoved in a storeroom waiting for me to go through it "someday."
Reply
Tags:charts, date, height, keepsakes, measure, memories, memory, records, weight
Reply Up