Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default I'm Struggling....

I have a new dcf. There are lots of issues with the family, but I'm trying to work with them. They're going through a hard time right now. But I could really use some ideas on this one:

Dcb (just turned 3), wets the bed during nap. Parents do NOT want to bring diapers. They want me to not give him anything to drink for 1 1/2 hours before nap. In the first place, we take nap shortly after lunch and I am REQUIRED to serve milk. Secondly, if I don't serve this child anything to drink from noon to 1:30, then he naps, and they don't serve him anything to drink before bed and then he sleeps, this child is basically dehydrated for 16 hours or so a day!!! IMO, that is just not right. I COULD completely re-arrange my schedule and see if it works for him to stay dry, but is this fair to the other children and families? I am in a quandary..... Today I insisted they bring diapers, but I got arguments and even a little anger.

Help me, here, please???? Seems like a simple problem, but somehow it is big to me. I hate arguing with clients who don't care to understand your side of things.....
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM

"Staying dry while asleep is a physical development, not a mental one. Just like with potty training in the first place, it won't happen until his body is ready. Until that time, he needs "sleep underpants" (pull-ups or diapers or whatever) to change into before nap."

gosh, one or two diapers/pull-ups a day isn't exactly going to kill their budget...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
"Staying dry while asleep is a physical development, not a mental one. Just like with potty training in the first place, it won't happen until his body is ready. Until that time, he needs "sleep underpants" (pull-ups or diapers or whatever) to change into before nap."

gosh, one or two diapers/pull-ups a day isn't exactly going to kill their budget...
Yeah, I agree. I already gave them quite a HUGE break on care for the remainder of the summer for their two school-age kids. Honestly, though, around here a diaper a day CAN kill some people's budget. I live in a very depressed area. Very low income area. It's sometimes hard to know just what to do.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Buy the diapers yourself and then charge them. If they dont like the charge, they can provide cheaper diapers. Send home a copy of your pottying policy and meal/drink policies and state clearly what you can and cannot do. If they dont like, they can find a new daycare.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
Buy the diapers yourself and then charge them. If they dont like the charge, they can provide cheaper diapers. Send home a copy of your pottying policy and meal/drink policies and state clearly what you can and cannot do. If they dont like, they can find a new daycare.
this!!!! I would be buying pull ups and charging them. Or I would be sending them my carpet cleaning bill.....
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Do you think they would consider using the lined underpants just for nap time. I know target sells them in the infant area in packages of 2 I think they come in girl and boy prints then they could just be washed and returned or you could wash them and just keep at your house. It might help with the cost factor because they are able to be used over and over.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpender View Post
Do you think they would consider using the lined underpants just for nap time. I know target sells them in the infant area in packages of 2 I think they come in girl and boy prints then they could just be washed and returned or you could wash them and just keep at your house. It might help with the cost factor because they are able to be used over and over.
Do these hold as much as a diaper? I mean, today there was a huge puddle under his cot, and that was after pants, blanket and cot were soaked! I've never tried these. Can you tell me more about them? Is it the Econobums? They look like something I would certainly try. And if the diapers are gonna be such a big issue, maybe I'll just purchase one of these and charge them for it. Wish they said how big they will cover.....

Daycare, you said: "Or I would be sending them my carpet cleaning bill...." Now that's not a bad idea. One way to get my rug cleaned!

Cheerfuldom, thanks for the idea. It may be worth a try! And I definitely will copy my policies and provide an explanation in writing. Good idea!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygal View Post
Do these hold as much as a diaper? I mean, today there was a huge puddle under his cot, and that was after pants, blanket and cot were soaked! I've never tried these. Can you tell me more about them? Is it the Econobums? They look like something I would certainly try. And if the diapers are gonna be such a big issue, maybe I'll just purchase one of these and charge them for it. Wish they said how big they will cover.....

Daycare, you said: "Or I would be sending them my carpet cleaning bill...." Now that's not a bad idea. One way to get my rug cleaned!

Cheerfuldom, thanks for the idea. It may be worth a try! And I definitely will copy my policies and provide an explanation in writing. Good idea!
carpet bill, been there, done that...

Had a family of a 5 year old not PT that insisted sending her in underwear...... Kid finally pooped on my carpet, so I sent the carpet cleaning bill home with them. $85.00 one room...
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post

I totally agree with this. I don't understand why some parents make such a big deal about not wearing pull ups at naps. With my own children, staying dry at night (or during nap) did not happen at the same time as they were completely potty trained during the day. It was maybe a year later for my oldest and youngest to get out of pull ups at night. My middle child was quite a bit longer...I think it was because he was a much harder sleeper than the other 2 so he didn't wake up when he needed to go.

No way would I let a child wet my bed or pack n play every day. What a mess. I would insist on the parents bringing pull ups for nap time. Either that or they get the bill for a new matress and bedding.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
carpet bill, been there, done that...

Had a family of a 5 year old not PT that insisted sending her in underwear...... Kid finally pooped on my carpet, so I sent the carpet cleaning bill home with them. $85.00 one room...
Did they pay the bill?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved4always View Post
Did they pay the bill?
yup and boy were they mad.... the child was off to kinder in the fall, so thank god it was only another month or so before we parted ways...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

This may be a silly comment but how about you give them a trial period, Like I will help you with your child on the wet sleeping thing for like a week but if things don't get better they need to start bringing diapers. Also, let them clean all the laundry that the kid wet on so they know what a pain that is. Before the kid take a nap make him sit on the toilet for a while (you may have tried this...). I think the parents don't know how it feel until they are fully involve. Maybe you should keep them involve by telling them all the ways you have tried but if it's still unsuccessful then they should really get you some diapers. Good luck with this sticky sitch.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama View Post
This may be a silly comment but how about you give them a trial period, Like I will help you with your child on the wet sleeping thing for like a week but if things don't get better they need to start bringing diapers. Also, let them clean all the laundry that the kid wet on so they know what a pain that is. Before the kid take a nap make him sit on the toilet for a while (you may have tried this...). I think the parents don't know how it feel until they are fully involve. Maybe you should keep them involve by telling them all the ways you have tried but if it's still unsuccessful then they should really get you some diapers. Good luck with this sticky sitch.
Unfortunately, I did all of the above. The father who I am dealing with never has "time" to stop and talk about anything. He can't even look at the projects they did that day.

Supposedly the "mother" is bringing the diapers, but since she hasn't even brought their signed copy of the contract, I'm not holding my breath. This is a separated m/f situation, with them both trying to work out custody. It is, like I said, a very hard thing to go through.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I have a new dcf. There are lots of issues with the family, but I'm trying to work with them. They're going through a hard time right now. But I could really use some ideas on this one:

Dcb (just turned 3), wets the bed during nap. Parents do NOT want to bring diapers. They want me to not give him anything to drink for 1 1/2 hours before nap. In the first place, we take nap shortly after lunch and I am REQUIRED to serve milk. Secondly, if I don't serve this child anything to drink from noon to 1:30, then he naps, and they don't serve him anything to drink before bed and then he sleeps, this child is basically dehydrated for 16 hours or so a day!!! IMO, that is just not right. I COULD completely re-arrange my schedule and see if it works for him to stay dry, but is this fair to the other children and families? I am in a quandary..... Today I insisted they bring diapers, but I got arguments and even a little anger.

Help me, here, please???? Seems like a simple problem, but somehow it is big to me. I hate arguing with clients who don't care to understand your side of things.....
not reading ahead to the other replies here are my thoughts....

This is your daycare! If the child is potty trained, except for nap time, then he has a pull up on for nap time. It is not sanitary and it is your home, your rules, your daycare.

I say this numerous times, because someone helped me out on this forum, several someones I might add and drilled it into me....... so I hope that I pass this on and I say it often......... Have a rule/policy/hand book and a contract. Don't be intimidated by your parents and tell them your schedule doesn't allow for what they are asking. Put it back on them and don't feel bad about it. It is one thing to help out and try to accommodate, but ultimately you have to do what is best for you and your group.

If the parents don't comply call them at work and tell them they need to bring you what you need or come pick up the child. <---- last resort. If they come in the morning and they don't have what the child needs, ask them to go and get it. If your busy and you forget to ask or look, follow through with a call on the cell phone or work.

Your not out of line, your asking them to bring in what the child needs for the day.

Best-
Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:

I don't rearrange my schedule for ANYONE, EVER.

I don't allow parents to come into my home/business and tell me how to operate. Most of these parents have ONE child to raise - I have MANY. I know what works best in that environment.

The parents are dead wrong in this case. The child needs to be in a dipe/pull up during nap rather than being deprived of a basic human necessity such as liquid.

My reaction would be "You can bring me pull ups tomorrow without further argument or issue, or else you can start looking for a new daycare because I refuse to partake in purposely dehydrating your child."
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 AM

If I were you I would try to find some of the plastic diaper covers on freecycle.org. If not, maybe you can buy them, they are only about $6 for 2. They can be washed and you can save them for future issues such as this one.

It's a tough situation, but really, any other daycare wouldn't put up with it, so there is no reason you should. If it were me I would insist on the diapers and not accept the child into care without them. You should not have to clean that up everyday, no way.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

I understand that budgets are tight but good gried. you cant expect the child to not have anything to drink for that long. Maybe try serving 1/2 of a cup with lunch instead of a whole, if he goes potty then have him try going potty a couple of times before nap time. I also havein my contract that if I need to buy any of the requested items the parent will be billed for them. I would recommend adding that to your contract. Its very helpful. I love all of the suggestions given on this thread. The bottom line is that the child will start staying dry when his body is ready and mature enough. I would love to hear how this one pans out.
Deb
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I already gave them quite a HUGE break on care for the remainder of the summer for their two school-age kids. Honestly, though, around here a diaper a day CAN kill some people's budget. I live in a very depressed area. Very low income area. It's sometimes hard to know just what to do.
yes for a small amount of people yes I am sure that is the case, but having kids should mean that you put your needs 2nd to theirs. I bet they can afford a cell phone,eat out, all the extras...... it is not your problem to take on. You can't do your job effectively if you don't have what you need. The cost should not be handed down to you. If they really can't afford it, direct them to where they can get help for those needs.

Why would you cut your families income and give a huge break? Maybe you can afford to do that, I know most of us here can't that is why we are working long hours for low pay as it is. We work to better our family structures. I am all for helping other people but you have to be in a good place yourself before you can extend that hand out, other wise your paddling the wrong way in the river.

Best
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
yes for a small amount of people yes I am sure that is the case, but having kids should mean that you put your needs 2nd to theirs. I bet they can afford a cell phone,eat out, all the extras...... it is not your problem to take on. You can't do your job effectively if you don't have what you need. The cost should not be handed down to you. If they really can't afford it, direct them to where they can get help for those needs.

Why would you cut your families income and give a huge break? Maybe you can afford to do that, I know most of us here can't that is why we are working long hours for low pay as it is. We work to better our family structures. I am all for helping other people but you have to be in a good place yourself before you can extend that hand out, other wise your paddling the wrong way in the river.

Best
Believe me, my income is extremely low! I'd compare income with anyone here.....and I'd probably come out very near the bottom. My reasons for giving them a break included that I had 2 positions open and there are only 2 1/2 weeks of summer left. I would rather have children than be almost empty. (I can only accept 3 children) At that time they told me he WAS pt, even at naps. I specifically asked. Obviously they stretched the truth. What you say about helping people is very true. I can't help unless I am taking care of myself. But in this case, the money I got for the almost three weeks of care was better than $0. I am also learning as I go. I did dc years ago and things were very much different. I'm learning all of this as I go. Back in those days you worked together with the parents. I am finding out that this is no longer true, for many parents. I'm finding out the hard way..... UGH!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

Is he even potty trained or does he wet just at nap? I would call a meeting with the parents and they had better make the time for it as this is their child. You need to discuss this with them. Maybe even tell them that you can not let him sit in the wet clothes at nap due to state policy....kinda a little white lie? But I feel it is wrong what they are doing to their child. imo......If they won't meet then send a letter home with BOTH parents stating that you require diapers by a certain date or the services are terminated due to "lack of parental support"......

This isn't right to not allow him to have liquids and it is unsanitary for your home for the wetting the bed issue. This is your home and you know whats best. Your rules as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Personally Country what I would do is offer the parent TWO options:

1: Bring pull-ups and/or diapers for nap time OR
2: Pick up child every day at nap time and return him after nap is over.

I do not get into any type of back and forth debates with parents. I know what I will and won't put up with, when and how far I will bend but I will NEVER allow a parent to tell me how to run my business and I am in the business of caring for kids based on THEIR needs NOT the parents.

I guess a 3rd option would be to have them see their pediatrician and have him give you a detailed note stating EXACTLY when and how much liquid the DCB should have. I highly doubt they will be able to convince their pediatrician to give written permission for the child to be purposely dehydrated.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM

diapers cost about 30 cents each (and that's name brand diapers!). Really, no matter what they are going thru now, having a child means dealing with the responsibility of the costs involved and this child is NOT potty trained enough to not wet while sleeping. I'm sure they can afford the diaper they put on him at night because otherwise that means a soaked mattress/sheets for them in the morning. Funny how when it inconveniences the parent they find a way. They need to bring you one diaper every day or the child doesn't stay. Can't believe they want this child to go HOURS without a drink - especially in the summer??? That is insane!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I guess a 3rd option would be to have them see their pediatrician and have him give you a detailed note stating EXACTLY when and how much liquid the DCB should have. I highly doubt they will be able to convince their pediatrician to give written permission for the child to be purposely dehydrated.
That made me chuckle - not because it is funny, but because the same exact idea came into my head today!!!

I wish I was as sure and confident as you are, BC. Maybe some day I'll get there...... I am certainly working on it! And this forum helps a LOT!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That made me chuckle - not because it is funny, but because the same exact idea came into my head today!!!

I wish I was as sure and confident as you are, BC. Maybe some day I'll get there...... I am certainly working on it! And this forum helps a LOT!
Ya wanna know the secret? I'll tell you.....

My grandmother once told me "Too many people let other people define them."

That stuck with me because it is so very true.

Stop and take a moment and really think about each daycare family that you have (not the kids but the parents) and ask yourself......what do they REALLY mean to you?

What do they do for you...as in, do they make you a better person? Are they in charge of whether or not you have a good life or if you are a good person or a good wife/mother/daycare provider?

Who are they really to decide WHO you are?

No one. That's who. They have no bearing on whether you are a good person. YOU make you who you are not them or anyone else. YOU need to do what makes YOU happy and you can't complain about whether your life is good or bad because only YOU are in charge of that one life you have.

YOU teach people how to treat you, YOU can either let them treat you like dirt or you can speak up and say "Hey!, that is NOT ok with me"! YOU only get one life and it really is up to YOU to do with it what you will.

Don't let anyone (and I mean NO ONE) define who you are. EVER.

It takes some practice but there really is a way to get the things you want and be some what strict but still be friendly, understanding and supportive. Knowing the boundaries of these things is key.

Draw your line and stand by it. People WILL respect you more for having those boundaries and the backbone to enforce them alot more than they would if you just let them walk all over you.

If you ever need ANYTHING, you are always welcome to PM me. or PM me and I will send you my e-mail address if that is easier....I am pretty good at pep talks when needed.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Family Childcare Home

Just a thought, you are "required" to serve milk at lunch so I am assuming that this is a regulation?? Im on the food program and we have that new regulation about what type of drinks to serve and on top of the whole "must serve milk at lunch, no sugary drinks" thing we are also required to have water "readily available". This means that any time that the child is thirsty they need to be served water. Do you have this regulation? If so then you could always use this as your excuse for not being able to restrict his liquid intake. This way you can really press more on the sleep diaper thing.

Also if dad doesn't have time to chat write him his own note as well. Lastly, mom hasn't turned in her signed contract?? Easy fix, mom can't pick up or drop off until it's turned in. I NEVER allow a child to start until all required paperwork is turned in.

Good luck. KUP.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks, BC. You are sooooooo right. I have an INFJ personality profile. Conflict goes against my grain. Resolutions are my game. I'm called the "giver" or the "adaptor" or even the "fixer". I should be in social work, but I knew I would never be hard enough. I can always see both sides of a situation and usually can empathize. It makes this part of the business soooo hard. But I know everything you said is right and true. Sometimes it is hard for me to compromise my personality with reality. I'm workin' on it!!!! And thanks for the offer! You'll prolly be sorry you made it!
Quote:

Stop and take a moment and really think about each daycare family that you have (not the kids but the parents) and ask yourself......what do they REALLY mean to you?

What do they do for you...as in, do they make you a better person? Are they in charge of whether or not you have a good life or if you are a good person or a good wife/mother/daycare provider?

No one. That's who. They have no bearing on whether you are a good person. YOU make you who you are not them or anyone else. YOU need to do what makes YOU happy and you can't complain about whether your life is good or bad because only YOU are in charge of that one life you have.

YOU teach people how to treat you, YOU can either let them treat you like dirt or you can speak up and say "Hey!, that is NOT ok with me"! YOU only get one life and it really is up to YOU to do with it what you will.

It takes some practice but there really is a way to get the things you want and be some what strict but still be friendly, understanding and supportive. Knowing the boundaries of these things is key.

Draw your line and stand by it. People WILL respect you more for having those boundaries and the backbone to enforce them alot more than they would if you just let them walk all over you.

If you ever need ANYTHING, you are always welcome to PM me. or PM me and I will send you my e-mail address if that is easier....I am pretty good at pep talks when needed.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Just a thought, you are "required" to serve milk at lunch so I am assuming that this is a regulation?? Im on the food program and we have that new regulation about what type of drinks to serve and on top of the whole "must serve milk at lunch, no sugary drinks" thing we are also required to have water "readily available". This means that any time that the child is thirsty they need to be served water. Do you have this regulation? If so then you could always use this as your excuse for not being able to restrict his liquid intake. This way you can really press more on the sleep diaper thing.

Also if dad doesn't have time to chat write him his own note as well. Lastly, mom hasn't turned in her signed contract?? Easy fix, mom can't pick up or drop off until it's turned in. I NEVER allow a child to start until all required paperwork is turned in.

Good luck. KUP.
Oh, I might have that requirement! I never thought of that !!! Thanks!!! I actually sat down and wrote a note today and included a copy for each parent. I am demanding the signed paperwork by Monday, or don't come...... Along with diapers. Now, I'll be the one shaking while giving it to him!!! ROFL!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, I might have that requirement! I never thought of that !!! Thanks!!! I actually sat down and wrote a note today and included a copy for each parent. I am demanding the signed paperwork by Monday, or don't come...... Along with diapers. Now, I'll be the one shaking while giving it to him!!! ROFL!!!
Great way to handle it! Now you don't have to terminate. They either comply, or they don't show up. You put the ball in your court. Now, lay off the fine coffee for the next couple hours!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Great way to handle it! Now you don't have to terminate. They either comply, or they don't show up. You put the ball in your court. Now, lay off the fine coffee for the next couple hours!
The sad part is I haven't had a single drop of caffeine all day..... I might as well be enjoying this stress!!!