Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cell Phone @dc
MOMOF3BOYZ 08:52 AM 09-25-2012
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!, SO I HAVE A QUESTION DO U GUYS THINK IM OVERREACTING ABOUT A 9YR OLD HAVING A CELL PHONE WITH HER AT DC? OK ISHOULD REPHRASE THAT I DONT JUDGE PEOPLE WHO GIVE THEIR CHILDREN CELL PHONES AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE ,I JUST FEEL PERSONALLY THAT AT THAT AGE THIS CHILD IS JUST NOT THAT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO BRING A IPHONE TO DC. I MEAN N E THING CAN HAPPEN SHE COULD SET IT DOWN AND IT CAN GET STEPPED ON,LOST ,ETC

SO MY BQUESTION IS SHOULD I TELL THE MOM THAT SHE CANT BRING IT TO DC? OR SHOULD I JUST WRITE UP A NOTICE LETTING ALL DC PARENTS THAT SUCH DEVICES ARE NOT ALLOWED ,ONLY BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE? I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE
daycare 08:57 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by MOMOF3BOYZ:
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!, SO I HAVE A QUESTION DO U GUYS THINK IM OVERREACTING ABOUT A 9YR OLD HAVING A CELL PHONE WITH HER AT DC? OK ISHOULD REPHRASE THAT I DONT JUDGE PEOPLE WHO GIVE THEIR CHILDREN CELL PHONES AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE ,I JUST FEEL PERSONALLY THAT AT THAT AGE THIS CHILD IS JUST NOT THAT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO BRING A IPHONE TO DC. I MEAN N E THING CAN HAPPEN SHE COULD SET IT DOWN AND IT CAN GET STEPPED ON,LOST ,ETC

SO MY BQUESTION IS SHOULD I TELL THE MOM THAT SHE CANT BRING IT TO DC? OR SHOULD I JUST WRITE UP A NOTICE LETTING ALL DC PARENTS THAT SUCH DEVICES ARE NOT ALLOWED ,ONLY BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE? I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE
BOth of my kids had a phone at this age, not an iphone, but one that they could use in an emergency. they went to an after school club where over 200 kids attended, so it was not like I could just call a provider and they could tell me how the kids were doing.

In this case however, I would tell the DCG that mom or dad can call you and that it needs to stay in her cubby box or backpack. If you see it come out, you will take it and put it up and return it to parent.

I would also, if you already don't have in your PHB that you will not be responsible for any items that are brought from home.
laundrymom 09:01 AM 09-25-2012
Just like anything else, in the cubby until picked up. No exceptions.
MOMOF3BOYZ 09:05 AM 09-25-2012
Thanks i think i am going to add it to my phb even though i just updated, cause I HAVE had a problem with the dcg bro who brought a nin ds and he himself lost it! And i tore my house apart looking for it , and i just dont want to have to get stuck paying for their stuff!
youretooloud 09:16 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Just like anything else, in the cubby until picked up. No exceptions.

Yep, He or she could have it, but it stays in the backpack, zipped up, or I take it away. If I see him or her texting, It's mine for the rest of the day, and I probably will have a really hard time finding it when it's time to go home.
MOMOF3BOYZ 09:27 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
yep, he or she could have it, but it stays in the backpack, zipped up, or i take it away. If i see him or her texting, it's mine for the rest of the day, and i probably will have a really hard time finding it when it's time to go home.
so should i still let the parent know thatthats whats going to happen? Cause yesterday dcg and dcp were texting back and forth
youretooloud 09:32 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by MOMOF3BOYZ:
so should i still let the parent know thatthats whats going to happen? Cause yesterday dcg and dcp were texting back and forth

Yes.. I would. Or allow her to text her mom when she gets there, and maybe at 5:00 after cleanup time, she can text friends while she waits to be picked up. (it's not safe to text mom while she drives, and some adults don't have common sense)
Nickel 09:34 AM 09-25-2012
I would write up a notice that electronic devices must stay in the backpack or cubbie and you will not be responsible in the event of loss, theft, or damage. Electronic devices include cell phones, game systems, music devices, handheld computers , etc... Sometimes you have to spell it out for then

Then make them sign the bottom.. i dcp of dck read and understand the electronic device policy at xyz daycare. I understand such devices must remain in xyz place and provider is not respobsible for said device.

Sorry for tyoos on my cellphone lol
Crazy8 09:44 AM 09-25-2012
I am going to disagree with the majority on this one... my dd had a cell phone at 9 yo. The reason I got her a phone was so that she could get a hold of me if needed and I could get a hold of her. We had issues with one of her coaches "banning" phones and I flipped. I did not trust this one adult to contact the parents of 26 girls in the event of an emergency. I couldn't even be sure she'd have a charged phone on her. Now if my child was playing on her phone when not allowed I would be completely behind reprimanding her but to not allow them to have it with them in case of emergency had my blood boiling when that was the point of me buying a phone in the first place (and I did win that fight).

My contract states I am not responsible for any items brought from home - if they are lost, stolen, broken, etc. it is NOT my responsibility. Now if you don't allow them to play on electronic devices (like ds's, iphones, etc.) that is fine but I would allow her to text her mom when she arrives and then keep the phone in a basket/cubby where if it rings YOU can see if its her mom and allow her to answer it. I would not keep a child from communicating with their parent!!

I would also explain to the parent that a quick call/text exchange would be fine but that you do not want child playing on phone all afternoon so therefore you would be keeping it in "x" spot.
daycare 09:49 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I would write up a notice that electronic devices must stay in the backpack or cubbie and you will not be responsible in the event of loss, theft, or damage. Electronic devices include cell phones, game systems, music devices, handheld computers , etc... Sometimes you have to spell it out for then

Then make them sign the bottom.. i dcp of dck read and understand the electronic device policy at xyz daycare. I understand such devices must remain in xyz place and provider is not respobsible for said device.

Sorry for tyoos on my cellphone lol
yes spell it out for them and make sure that you add this list that ALL items, toys, and etc need to be left at home..

someone here has the hotel CA rule.....it can come, but it will never leave....meaning it won't go home with the child.

I would not let the child use it..the mom/dad can call you or text you to see how the child is doing....Just like every other parent has to do...
familyschoolcare 10:07 AM 09-25-2012
My cell phone policy clear lays out that I will not surpervise and s=where the phone must stay when not in use. This is one of the things that simpl banning will not work because the child will still sneak it in their back pack. However if you have a clearly defined policy youu can sak for it everyday and out it in its place.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I am going to disagree with the majority on this one... my dd had a cell phone at 9 yo. The reason I got her a phone was so that she could get a hold of me if needed and I could get a hold of her. We had issues with one of her coaches "banning" phones and I flipped. I did not trust this one adult to contact the parents of 26 girls in the event of an emergency. I couldn't even be sure she'd have a charged phone on her. Now if my child was playing on her phone when not allowed I would be completely behind reprimanding her but to not allow them to have it with them in case of emergency had my blood boiling when that was the point of me buying a phone in the first place (and I did win that fight).

My contract states I am not responsible for any items brought from home - if they are lost, stolen, broken, etc. it is NOT my responsibility. Now if you don't allow them to play on electronic devices (like ds's, iphones, etc.) that is fine but I would allow her to text her mom when she arrives and then keep the phone in a basket/cubby where if it rings YOU can see if its her mom and allow her to answer it. I would not keep a child from communicating with their parent!!

I would also explain to the parent that a quick call/text exchange would be fine but that you do not want child playing on phone all afternoon so therefore you would be keeping it in "x" spot.
I whole heartedly disagree. If a child is young enough to be in daycare, they are too young to have a cell phone while at my house.

Why would this child need to text her mom to let her know she arrived at daycare? Isn't that what the daycare provider is for?

As far as the cell phone and the coach issue you mentioned, if I were that worried about my child, I would not have left her alone at practice and I surely wouldn't have gone all out war with my child's coach. NOT flaming or you are saying you were out of bounds but there were/are other options rather than disregard a coach's rule.

If the same scenario occured at child care and a parent flipped because they didn't like a rule you had, you would term them...or would you have just given in and allowed them to not follow the rule because they didn't agree with you?
grandmom 02:05 PM 09-25-2012
No reason for a cell phone at dc. That's why there's an adult in charge.

People here have discussed this before, and one other topic came up. Cell phones have cameras on them now and I wouldn't let a 9 yo take photos of kids in my home.

Just saying.
sharlan 02:31 PM 09-25-2012
It's none of our business whether or not the parents give the child a cell phone.

My one 9 yo has a cell. He knows that it has to stay in his backpack at all times. It did come in handy one time last year when he stayed afterschool for something. He was able to call me to pick him up.
Country Kids 02:33 PM 09-25-2012
Schools don't care why parents give a child a phone-they are taken and not given back if they are out.

Why should we be different!
daycare 02:33 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
No reason for a cell phone at dc. That's why there's an adult in charge.

People here have discussed this before, and one other topic came up. Cell phones have cameras on them now and I wouldn't let a 9 yo take photos of kids in my home.

Just saying.
this!!!!!!
frugalmama4 03:41 PM 09-25-2012
I had the same issue this some with schoolers....

My hand book states NO OUT SIDE TOYS/GAMING DEVICES ALLOWED WITHOUT MY PRIOR APPROVAL.

Now because my program is geared towards the 5 and under crowed " I really don't have entertainment for older kids, so with it written in my policies "no toys" I control when and if a kids brings in a item and the amount of time they can play with it.

My advice No texting/calling mom or friends on my watch.
Kaddidle Care 04:42 PM 09-25-2012
The parent had better get used to their child not having that cell phone on them 24/7 because the schools ban them.

My 11 year old wants one - doesn't mean he's getting one. Everywhere he goes there's a phone. No need for one.

Sorry but if my kid went somewhere with an adult that I didn't trust, I wouldn't be relying on a cell phone. I would either stay or my child would not attend.

My oldest didn't get a cell phone until he was 16 and you know what? He survived. He rarely uses it and it's not a habit. We don't have texting so if he wants it, he can pay for it. He could care less about it.
clep 04:46 PM 09-25-2012
My son is 9 and he has had an iphone for two years now. It has a gps app in it that allows me to track him every minute visually on my computer. We live four blocks from the school and a group of five kids used to walk to school. My son wanted to walk with them so we got it for that purpose.

At school it was kept in his desk during the day. He didn't play with it or abuse having it even once according to the school.

I home school him now so he doesn't have to have it to walk to school anymore. Now he sets multiple alarms on it through the day to help keep him on track with his responsibilities. It is also with him when he is riding his bike outside around the block in case he was ever picked up by a stranger or something.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at my day home, unless the child was on it all day or it caused problems with the other children wanting to sit with the child all day watching him on the phone playing games.

Communication with the parent I definitely wouldn't have an issue with. It isn't up to me to dictate how the parent chooses to communicate with their child.
providerandmomof4 04:53 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
The parent had better get used to their child not having that cell phone on them 24/7 because the schools ban them.

My 11 year old wants one - doesn't mean he's getting one. Everywhere he goes there's a phone. No need for one.

Sorry but if my kid went somewhere with an adult that I didn't trust, I wouldn't be relying on a cell phone. I would either stay or my child would not attend.

My oldest didn't get a cell phone until he was 16 and you know what? He survived. He rarely uses it and it's not a habit. We don't have texting so if he wants it, he can pay for it. He could care less about it.
I agree with this completely! I had a 9 yr dcb over the summer who brought his "phone for emergencies" and was constantly listening to music, playing games... I finally took it and put it up. I showed him where it would be for the remainder of the day. Guess what? Everyone forgot about it at pickup and he didn't take it with him...The next day he asked me for it and I told him to put it in his bag and not have it out at dc. He didn't bring it again....guess he figured if he couldn't sneak and play games and music, what good was it?
clep 04:54 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Schools don't care why parents give a child a phone-they are taken and not given back if they are out.

I live in Calgary Alberta, and my son's old school (Home schooled now) does not have a ban on phones. The children still have them at the school since my son left. They are kept in their desks, not with the teacher. The school is not responsible if they are lost, stolen or broken and that is very clear, but they can have them.
sharlan 05:01 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Because we are NOT schools.
Kaddidle Care 05:16 AM 09-26-2012
I think parents these days are relying too heavily on the false security of a phone. Just because a child has a phone on them doesn't mean they're not going to be the target of some nut job.

To a child it's nothing more than another play toy. Setting the alarms to complete tasks is great but at home you have the timer on the stove and microwave that work just as well. If not, there are always egg timers.

Communication with the parent still isn't a problem as everyone has a phone for emergencies. If the child is with a responsible adult whether it be at Daycare or School, the parent does not have to be able to contact them every second of the day. No child needs to be tethered to the hip by an electronic device.

I think this whole phone thing is causing parents to forget to teach their children responsibility, memory and self protection.

In school it's a distraction and I don't appreciate other parents ignoring the rules because even though you think your child isn't playing with the phone, I have my doubts. They're at school to learn, not play with electronic devices and chat with Mama.
Sunshine44 06:37 AM 09-26-2012
Just my opinion, but if someone 'takes' your child while walking anywhere, they will more than likely dump the phone they will no doubt find on your child.

I hope nothing like this ever happens to anyone, but I will not let a phone give me security for that reason. I think at a certain age, a phone may be ok...but if you need daycare you do not normally need a phone. I have a phone. If a mom needs to talk to the child, which I have never had happen, then they call me. If a child had an emergency here, I would let mom know asap.
DCMama 02:05 PM 09-26-2012
If you are uncomfortable with that you should write up a notification. My policy clearly state what to bring and what not to bring to daycare. If they still decide to bring it, it will stay in their cubby and I am not responsible for any lost or damages to ANY items bring from home to school.
Reply Up