Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does Anyone Else Have a Breastfed Baby in Daycare?

This is the 1st time in 10 years of doing daycare I have had a breastfed infant so its all new to me the problem is he seems starving all the time and I dont think he is getting enough to eat. He is 6 months old and at my house during the day he has 3 5oz bottles of expressed breastmilk, 2 tablespoons of baby cereal, and 1 stage 1 jar of food and at home he nurses twice and has 1 stage 1 jar of food he is gaining weight but just seems so hungry I told her I think he needs to eat 6oz at each feed she says she cant pump that much but I think its bs cuz she donates milk too and she made a comment before that she didnt want him to get fat so I think that has alot to do with it. Is this enough food for a 6 month old. I have 3 kids and when they where 6 months old they had 4 6 oz bottles of formula 2 of those bottles I put 2oz of cereal in and they also ate 2 stage 2 jars of food a day then a biter biscuit or wagon wheel, and 1 cup of juice. The other infant I have when he was 6 months he ate 2 6 oz formula cereal bottles, 2 jars of food, and 1 cup of juice at my house a day so he ate like mine did so im just wondering if breastfed babies are differnt or she is worried about her Son getting fat?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
booroo's Avatar
booroo booroo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 185
Default

Sound like enough to me, if he's gaining!! I have issues with putting cereal in the bottle and unless told to by the ped, I never and will never do that! The goal is for that baby to gain weight and learn to eat real food!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
miabellamom's Avatar
miabellamom miabellamom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Yes, totally feel your pain! However I don't watch the little girl anymore who was breast fed. She always acted hungry and was generally fussy. Her mom would only bring me 6- 7 ounces of breastmilk for 6 1/2 hours of care (this was from the time she was 3 months till she was 6 months). And also she did not give her any cereal or baby food. She did not pump the same amount that her baby drank from her breast. That is quite common. Either she was hungry or she was just wanting the comfort of breast feeding. I couldn't take it. The little girl would pull at my shirt and would not take a bottle from me if I was rocking her so Ialways had to put her in her car seat and hold the bottle for her. It was a nightmare. I know they say that babies can get fuller on less breast milk, compared to formula, because the breast milk changes the fat content over time to adjust to the baby's needs, but still! I coud tell that 3 oz. a feeding did not fill her up. I felt sorry for her cuz she would cry when the bottle was empty. I understand the frustration with the BF babies. Tell mom she might just have to pump a little more cuz her baby is hungry! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
DBug DBug is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 934
Default

You may want to suggest to the mom that the baby may be going through a growth spurt. I breastfed all 3 of my own, and each one did demand more around the 6 month mark, because they were going through a growth spurt. If the baby is fussing for more, baby needs more -- simple as that.

Most studies agree too, that breastfed babies may gain more as infants, but they are far less likely to become overweight or obese as children and adults.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 735
Default

I've had similar issues with BF babies. If the mom isn't getting enough...

I'm not a pediatrician or nutritionist, I just have tried it myself when nursing, and heard it from a lactation specialist. She will likely produce more milk if she drinks half a bottle (4-6 oz) or malt beer a day. Not enough to get drunk, or effect the baby, but the yeast in the malt produces more milk. Also, if she pumps BEFORE the baby feeds every time, she will produce more. First pumping, gets out the easy milk, then when the baby continues to suck, her body will produce more the next day.

Can you supply more cereal and baby food just to give the guy something to eat?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
misol's Avatar
misol misol is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is the 1st time in 10 years of doing daycare I have had a breastfed infant so its all new to me the problem is he seems starving all the time and I dont think he is getting enough to eat. He is 6 months old and at my house during the day he has 3 5oz bottles of expressed breastmilk, 2 tablespoons of baby cereal, and 1 stage 1 jar of food and at home he nurses twice and has 1 stage 1 jar of food he is gaining weight but just seems so hungry I told her I think he needs to eat 6oz at each feed she says she cant pump that much but I think its bs cuz she donates milk too and she made a comment before that she didnt want him to get fat so I think that has alot to do with it. Is this enough food for a 6 month old. I have 3 kids and when they where 6 months old they had 4 6 oz bottles of formula 2 of those bottles I put 2oz of cereal in and they also ate 2 stage 2 jars of food a day then a biter biscuit or wagon wheel, and 1 cup of juice. The other infant I have when he was 6 months he ate 2 6 oz formula cereal bottles, 2 jars of food, and 1 cup of juice at my house a day so he ate like mine did so im just wondering if breastfed babies are differnt or she is worried about her Son getting fat?
It sounds like this should be enough for a 6 month old but each baby is different. Instead of waiting until the next scheduled feeding, try giving him a bottle after his cereal to "top him off". That should be an indicator of how much "extra" he needs (if any).

It's quite possible that he's not hungry at all and is just missing the physical closeness that comes along with being breastfeeding. Try giving him some extra snuggles and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
laundryduchess@yahoo.com laundryduchess@yahoo.com is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 614
Default

Im going to probably cause a debate or disagreement on this board with my advice on this but,.. Dont care, lol.


ok, I nursed 3 of my 4,.... and have had MANY MANY babies over the last 21 yrs that were BF. Yes the baby is hungry. Period. A pump will NEVER be able to express as much as a baby. EVER. I dont care if it is hospital quality, best on the market, gas powered or found in an alien spaceship. There is no way a machine can express as much milk from a breast as a baby. I would feed him as much as he wants,.. whether its 4 ounces, or 10. At every feeding. There is NO WAY to know how much baby is getting from the breast at any given feeding and there is NO WAY to gage how much they need. Our bodies were made for feeding babies. Mothers have been feeding babies for way longer than bottles had ounce markings or Dr's told mothers how they wanted the mothers baby fed.

a mothers body knows how much milk to make at which feeding. My advice,...

at EVERY FEEDING have her pump 4 ounces prior to her nursing. Every single feed.
ex

sat morning, wake up, pump 4 ounces from right breast, feed baby on right,... then left,...
next feed
pump 4 ounces from left, feed on left, then right.

every feed pump 4 ounces prior to nursing. alternating sides. The first milk is easier to get out and will come.
our bodies work on supply and demand,... the more you demand, the more it makes, and since the baby is getting the same amount of milk from mom, the millk you are taking first will signal to the body to make more next time.
after a few days,.. (3 day weekend =-)) there will automatically be more milk, she can then begin to pump 5 ounces, After a week or so, go to 5, then 6. then 7 then 8.


I would remind her that babies (especially this age) eat when they are hungry. Alot of times they also cluster feed,... eat every 2 hours for a bit then go 4 or 6 without eating. And while you understand that she doesnt want the baby "fat", they arent going to get that way from breastmilk. denying them food when a baby is hungry is child abuse and you can be shut down and charged for child abuse/neglect. Tell her that you will feed him all the milk she brings but if he is still hungry you will suppliment with formula until her supply is built up. She can bring you a box of powdered formula to keep at your house. I would have her bring breast milk in a mix of 4 and 2 ounce servings. That way you can prepare 2 ounces if he is still hungry after 4. And arent wasting it.

I wouldnt back down,.. your job is NOT to make the mom happy, your job is to care for that angel. And following moms wants when they are unrealistic arent serving the child in their best interests. If she refuses to bring formula, refuse to keep him without food. Thats just mean. To make him be hungry when you could so easily fix the problem, because of a moms ignorance on breastfeeding.

my opinion,....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 AM
boysx5's Avatar
boysx5 boysx5 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 683
Default

I have had a few in the past and I sometimes feel bad that I have nothing more to give them. I think they do get enough my last baby just turned one and she is 25 pounds so I think the breast milk was enough for her. I have a new one starting next month so will see how that goes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
SimpleMom's Avatar
SimpleMom SimpleMom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 590
Default

I wouldn't worry too much. BF babies may eat less at daycare, but they make up for it at home in the evenings. The more mom pumps/feeds,the more she makes. Totally supply and demand. I've heard eating oatmeal or lactation cookies (recipe ideas on www.kellymom.com). Breast milk is digested with in 1.5-2 hrs, so they may eat more often and also eat less at each feeding vs. a 5 or 6 oz bottle at each feeding.

If the little one is eating cereal, maybe add another tablespoon to the cereal and give a 2 oz bottle afterwards and the other 2 or 3 oz an hour or two later?

The web site above has some great ideas for increasing milk supply. Mom might enjoy that site or (http://www.llli.org/).

Hope this is of some help
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,297
Default

I seem to be a breast feeding Mom magnet. The last slew of kids have been mostly bm babies. I had SO many issues with it that I decided to not offer care to bf babies anymore unless one of my current clients sprogs out another schmook for me to care for. What you are posting about is one of many many problems I had managing the feedings. I just couldn't get it down to a easy workable routine. Even with Mom's working hard to get me what I needed it was still a challenge to balance everything to end up with a happy full baby who wasn't fussy.

I wish I could help but I have had little good experience to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM
happykidschildcare's Avatar
happykidschildcare happykidschildcare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 149
Default BF Baby

My BF baby just turned 4 mo and he acts like he hungry al the time, right now mom is just doing 4 ounce bottles avery 3 hours that he is here. I told her since he has doubled his weight since birth and can hold his head up and roll over it maybe time to intro rice cereal. Shes a new mom and wants to wait. I've cared for alot of babies over the years, so I guess I feel like I may know more...But I will go ahead and wait til mom gives the green light.
My issue with the BF baby is he has the runniest stools, I change him every 3 hours, he doesnt wet for pee, but his diaper will leak from #2
I'm constantly changing his clothes, I explained to M&D that I change him every 3 hrs, but hes always leaking. I think he needs bigger diapers, he is 14.6 pounds and they send sz 2 huggies..

Last edited by happykidschildcare; 05-27-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare View Post
My BF baby just turned 4 mo and he acts like he hungry al the time, right now mom is just doing 4 ounce bottles avery 3 hours that he is here. I told her since he has doubled his weight since birth and can hold his head up and roll over it maybe time to intro rice cereal. Shes a new mom and wants to wait. I've cared for alot of babies over the years, so I guess I feel like I may know more...But I will go ahead and wait til mom gives the green light.
My issue with the BF baby is he has the runniest stools, I change him every 3 hours, he doesnt wet for pee, but his diaper will leak from #2
I'm constantly changing his clothes, I explained to M&D that I change him every 3 hrs, but hes always leaking. I think he needs bigger diapers, he is 14.6 pounds and they send sz 2 huggies..
Yup the constant diaper changes and the blow outs are another element of most bf babies IME. Not all but most. I always had them bring two sizes of diapers... one that fit (size three for him) and one that was one size up to double diaper them. That helped a lot with the blow outs. It was more work at every change to double them up and the parents had to bring more diapers but that was the only way I would do it.

When you want the next size up diaper do not ask them tell them. They can "use up" the smaller ones at home. Just check the child right when he walks in to see what he has on from home. If they send in the too small tell Mom he needs to come in a three.

The size of diaper he uses at your house is YOUR decision. It's not a parental decision. If the size of the diaper is requiring you to have more staff time to manage the child then what they are saving by using the smaller diapers you pay in staff time.

Diaper companies have REALLY sized down diaper sizes. This is one thing that is making parents not want to change sizes. The poundage listed on the packs doesn't really work for the size of the baby. The parents go by the pounds instead of the fit. I alwasy tell them to look at the pounds and then by the next size up.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks guys for all the info. She is a orangic Mom and would never dream of giving her child formula I wouldnt even bring that up to her. She also told me a BF baby doesnt go up in ounces because her milk will get stronger I was thinking WTH are you talking about lol sometimes first time Moms think they know it all but are clueless. Oh I rember the blow outs all to well one time it was SO bad it ran down his leg all over the floor yuck but now that he eats cereal and baby food its not like that anymore. I cant stand to see a baby hungry it breaks my heart then I have to tell the poor little guy I have nothing left for him. I did give him more cereal today and bottle he seemed much more full after that wont tell Mom thou she would have a fit lol. I also understand some peoples concern about cereal in the bottle my kids didnt like it unless it was in the bottle and I have only done it with 2 daycare kids and that was per the parents request only.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 AM
misol's Avatar
misol misol is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks guys for all the info. She is a orangic Mom and would never dream of giving her child formula I wouldnt even bring that up to her. She also told me a BF baby doesnt go up in ounces because her milk will get stronger I was thinking WTH are you talking about lol sometimes first time Moms think they know it all but are clueless. Oh I rember the blow outs all to well one time it was SO bad it ran down his leg all over the floor yuck but now that he eats cereal and baby food its not like that anymore. I cant stand to see a baby hungry it breaks my heart then I have to tell the poor little guy I have nothing left for him. I did give him more cereal today and bottle he seemed much more full after that wont tell Mom thou she would have a fit lol. I also understand some peoples concern about cereal in the bottle my kids didnt like it unless it was in the bottle and I have only done it with 2 daycare kids and that was per the parents request only.
Huh?????? I bf'd two of my own and that's a new one to me
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks guys for all the info. She is a orangic Mom and would never dream of giving her child formula I wouldnt even bring that up to her. She also told me a BF baby doesnt go up in ounces because her milk will get stronger I was thinking WTH are you talking about lol sometimes first time Moms think they know it all but are clueless. Oh I rember the blow outs all to well one time it was SO bad it ran down his leg all over the floor yuck but now that he eats cereal and baby food its not like that anymore. I cant stand to see a baby hungry it breaks my heart then I have to tell the poor little guy I have nothing left for him. I did give him more cereal today and bottle he seemed much more full after that wont tell Mom thou she would have a fit lol. I also understand some peoples concern about cereal in the bottle my kids didnt like it unless it was in the bottle and I have only done it with 2 daycare kids and that was per the parents request only.
LMAO!! Unless she's eating more stuff and stuffing herself with more vitamins and healthyness there's no way that breast milk "gets stronger" because your baby gets older. That's a new one to me also.

I have a 9 month old so it's not the same but I know that as of right now he drinks 2 6 ounce bottles of breast milk, one 6 ounce bottle of formula, one small jar of baby food, one medium container (the rectangle ones) of baby food, about 4 tablespoons of cereal (mixed in with the food), and a banana or other fruit. And that's just while he's here! Sometimes he even eats another jar of baby food before his mom picks him up. Like I tell all parents of infants, I feed on demand. If they are hungry, I feed them.

I agree that before she nurses her baby she should pump right before. DC mom of the 9 month old pumps before leaving work until she can't anymore THEN drives over here to pick up the baby and as soon as she walks in the door she starts leaking. You body just reacts to your childs need to eat. As for her thinking her baby can get fat, I don't know who her pediatritian is but if you ask any good pediatrician they will all tell you the same thing ... when they are babies there's no such thing as overweight baby if you are giving the baby the recommended amount of baby food and the rest is breast-milk. It's all healthy weight. Scientifically it's been proven that babies (even animal babies) all have big heads, big eyes and are chubby to be cute so that they apeal to their parents and they'll have a better chance of survival. Not kidding ... nature probably thinks that no parent wants to care for an ugly, skinny, sick offspring lol.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
booroo's Avatar
booroo booroo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks guys for all the info. She is a orangic Mom and would never dream of giving her child formula I wouldnt even bring that up to her. She also told me a BF baby doesnt go up in ounces because her milk will get stronger I was thinking WTH are you talking about lol sometimes first time Moms think they know it all but are clueless. Oh I rember the blow outs all to well one time it was SO bad it ran down his leg all over the floor yuck but now that he eats cereal and baby food its not like that anymore. I cant stand to see a baby hungry it breaks my heart then I have to tell the poor little guy I have nothing left for him. I did give him more cereal today and bottle he seemed much more full after that wont tell Mom thou she would have a fit lol. I also understand some peoples concern about cereal in the bottle my kids didnt like it unless it was in the bottle and I have only done it with 2 daycare kids and that was per the parents request only.
they do make organic formula!! But this mom sounds clueless!! Can you find her some material on breast feeding!! I bf 2 of my kids!! My dd was fine with a 4 oz bottle of bm every 4 hours at 6 month, but at 8. Holy wow she ate!! My son never did get enough from the start he ate every 2 hours, I had to start formula, he finally chose formula... In the mean time, she needs to know that a baby can never be fat! Also find a way to educate her on UPI g her milk production, if I remember correctly the hind milk us the best, she needs to make sure she is pumping long enough to get thehind milk!!!
Good luck she doesn't sound like she is going to listen, but just give her the choice: more bm or you will formula supplement!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Breastfed babies only need an average of 25oz of breastmilk throughout a day so it is recommended to only send one oz per hour they will be away from their mom. 15oz of breastmilk plus food should be MORE than enough for this baby. Breastmilk composition does change over time and I guess one could say it "gets stronger" to accommodate the needs of the baby. Educate yourself before saying your client is clueless.

"Breast milk, on the other hand, continually changes in composition so that your baby gets what he or she needs at any age."

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0yBtI3TRj
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html


I know this is an old thread but I think some of the misinformation being given out needs to be corrected.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down Wow

Wow. All if you are idiots and need to actually attend a class on breastfeeding. Your job as a daycare provider is not for your job to be convenient and easy it's to care for children. If a mom breastfeeds you handle it how they tell you to. No matter what (unless the kid is not gaining weight and is showing signs of neglect) you do what the parent says. Even if you have cared for hundreds of babies you do NOT know better than that child's mom because you should KNOW all babies are different. I've been on the daycare side, the nanny side and the mom side of this issue and I've never seen such a large group of incapable providers in my life. If you aren't capable of taking care of a child with their own specific needs then you shouldn't work in child care. It must be just more simple to overfeed kids formula and double diaper than to actually pay attention and learn the child's individual needs. Each of you should be reported and have your license revoked.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. All if you are idiots and need to actually attend a class on breastfeeding. Your job as a daycare provider is not for your job to be convenient and easy it's to care for children. If a mom breastfeeds you handle it how they tell you to. No matter what (unless the kid is not gaining weight and is showing signs of neglect) you do what the parent says. Even if you have cared for hundreds of babies you do NOT know better than that child's mom because you should KNOW all babies are different. I've been on the daycare side, the nanny side and the mom side of this issue and I've never seen such a large group of incapable providers in my life. If you aren't capable of taking care of a child with their own specific needs then you shouldn't work in child care. It must be just more simple to overfeed kids formula and double diaper than to actually pay attention and learn the child's individual needs. Each of you should be reported and have your license revoked.
Here is my name and number for you to report me:
Tori Fees
207 5th St North
Northwood Iowa 50459

This thread is four years old.

I do not provide service to parents who expect me to do as I am told. I do what I believe is right and offer THAT service. If the parent needs a do as you are told service they won't hire me. I have more experience in my pinky than most parents have in their entire parenting career. Parents believe their baby is unique and they are the all knowing. They purchased that mindset from a baby book author. They didn't earn it from experience.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM
SignMeUp's Avatar
SignMeUp SignMeUp is online now
Family ChildCare Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: at home, of course
Posts: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. All if you are idiots and need to actually attend a class on breastfeeding. Your job as a daycare provider is not for your job to be convenient and easy it's to care for children. If a mom breastfeeds you handle it how they tell you to. No matter what (unless the kid is not gaining weight and is showing signs of neglect) you do what the parent says. Even if you have cared for hundreds of babies you do NOT know better than that child's mom because you should KNOW all babies are different. I've been on the daycare side, the nanny side and the mom side of this issue and I've never seen such a large group of incapable providers in my life. If you aren't capable of taking care of a child with their own specific needs then you shouldn't work in child care. It must be just more simple to overfeed kids formula and double diaper than to actually pay attention and learn the child's individual needs. Each of you should be reported and have your license revoked.
1. This thread is old.
2. Our jobs are not solely to abide by parents' wishes. We must follow regulations, laws and guidelines in many areas, including feeding.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 PM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. All if you are idiots and need to actually attend a class on breastfeeding. Your job as a daycare provider is not for your job to be convenient and easy it's to care for children. If a mom breastfeeds you handle it how they tell you to. No matter what (unless the kid is not gaining weight and is showing signs of neglect) you do what the parent says. Even if you have cared for hundreds of babies you do NOT know better than that child's mom because you should KNOW all babies are different. I've been on the daycare side, the nanny side and the mom side of this issue and I've never seen such a large group of incapable providers in my life. If you aren't capable of taking care of a child with their own specific needs then you shouldn't work in child care. It must be just more simple to overfeed kids formula and double diaper than to actually pay attention and learn the child's individual needs. Each of you should be reported and have your license revoked.
I would like to know how you would handle a baby crying because he is hungry and his mom didn't supply any more milk. And how would you deal with the blow outs? Would you change clothing and wash every hour? And how would you disinfect everything that baby has soiled that other children come into contact with? Please tell us how you would do a better job......
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 PM
mamamanda's Avatar
mamamanda mamamanda is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,131
Default

At 6 months old most doctors recommend introducing table foods. Would mom be open to offering more cereal or jar food if baby still seems hungry. I breastfed my son and I wouldn't have dreamed of giving him formula either, but neither would I want my baby hungry. There are a lot of things mom could do to boost her supply if that is the issue. It's true that breastfed babies crave the closeness nursing offers and sometimes are just fussier because they want that and its obviously not something you can offer. If that is the problem one suggestion that has helped me with bf babies I've cared for is to have mom keep a special blanket between her and baby while she nurses each morning. Then leave the blanket with you. You can hold it when baby takes the bottle and the baby gets the comforting smell of mom while taking the bottle. If that doesn't work terming may be your only feasible option as I've had some bf babies that just wouldn't transition. If it is truly a matter of the baby being hungry, I would suggest having mom try one of the many ways to boost milk production. She needs to provide you with enough to fill up her little one or allow you to supplement with other food. I know many bf babies eat quite a bit of jar food during the day and nurse more during the evening. As a nursing mom I completely understand not wanting your baby on formula, but as a provider I sympathize with the stress this causes you. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
mamamanda's Avatar
mamamanda mamamanda is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,131
Default

Haha. All of that and I just saw the "this post is old" comment. lol oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 PM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
I've had similar issues with BF babies. If the mom isn't getting enough...

I'm not a pediatrician or nutritionist, I just have tried it myself when nursing, and heard it from a lactation specialist. She will likely produce more milk if she drinks half a bottle (4-6 oz) or malt beer a day. Not enough to get drunk, or effect the baby, but the yeast in the malt produces more milk. Also, if she pumps BEFORE the baby feeds every time, she will produce more. First pumping, gets out the easy milk, then when the baby continues to suck, her body will produce more the next day.

Can you supply more cereal and baby food just to give the guy something to eat?
Malt beer? I've never heard that! Good suggestion!

Also.... T.R.O.L.L.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
Malt beer? I've never heard that! Good suggestion!
Now I need to Google malt beer and breast feeding. Lol!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
Now I need to Google malt beer and breast feeding. Lol!
Me too!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/increasing...y-6454632.html
Holy cow, it's true!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,297
Default

We should start a sticky called "This old post.".
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

DO IT! I've seen several that started a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM
SSWonders's Avatar
SSWonders SSWonders is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 289
Default

I have a 6 month old breastfeed baby in care and she takes two or three, usually three, 6 oz bottles a day. That's it. She's a peanut though. Just a little over 13 pounds. She is just starting rice cereal at home.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM
SSWonders's Avatar
SSWonders SSWonders is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 289
Default

Oh for goddness sake! At some point I will start a) reading through all the comments before I post and b) looking at the dates.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWonders View Post
Oh for goddness sake! At some point I will start a) reading through all the comments before I post and b) looking at the dates.
If you see a thread that has an unusually high post count and/or views, then check the date. Especially if it seems like the thread popped up out of nowhere.
__________________
Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
If you see a thread that has an unusually high post count and/or views, then check the date. Especially if it seems like the thread popped up out of nowhere.
....Or if the first to reply to a thread today (whatever day you are reading) is an unregistered poster.

Usually old threads get brought up when an unregistered poster happens upon the site and just HAS to add their 2 cents.

Usually NEVER positive or helpful advice...just the usual; "none of you should work with kids" kind of post/rant.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

I find it funny that they have "typical" or "predictable" behaviors that you vets can recognize. I did the same thing SS!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Breastfed babies only need an average of 25oz of breastmilk throughout a day so it is recommended to only send one oz per hour they will be away from their mom. 15oz of breastmilk plus food should be MORE than enough for this baby. Breastmilk composition does change over time and I guess one could say it "gets stronger" to accommodate the needs of the baby. Educate yourself before saying your client is clueless.

"Breast milk, on the other hand, continually changes in composition so that your baby gets what he or she needs at any age."

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0yBtI3TRj
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html


I know this is an old thread but I think some of the misinformation being given out needs to be corrected.
^THIS! I am thoroughly disappointed with the misinformation being spread about EBM babies here. Please, please, please take time to do some research as a care provider for breast milk babies. The links above are very informational and the reputable le leche league site also provides accurate information that would help with many of the problems being discussed.

Highlights:
* Exclusive breast milk babies (no formula supplement) do not need to increase their total intake as they get bigger.
* Content of breast milk DOES in fact change as the baby gets older.
* The baby should eat between 1-1.5oz per hour they are separated from mom.
* Bottles should be fed in 3-4 oz increments, no larger.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is the 1st time in 10 years of doing daycare I have had a breastfed infant so its all new to me the problem is he seems starving all the time and I dont think he is getting enough to eat. He is 6 months old and at my house during the day he has 3 5oz bottles of expressed breastmilk, 2 tablespoons of baby cereal, and 1 stage 1 jar of food and at home he nurses twice and has 1 stage 1 jar of food he is gaining weight but just seems so hungry I told her I think he needs to eat 6oz at each feed she says she cant pump that much but I think its bs cuz she donates milk too and she made a comment before that she didnt want him to get fat so I think that has alot to do with it. Is this enough food for a 6 month old. I have 3 kids and when they where 6 months old they had 4 6 oz bottles of formula 2 of those bottles I put 2oz of cereal in and they also ate 2 stage 2 jars of food a day then a biter biscuit or wagon wheel, and 1 cup of juice. The other infant I have when he was 6 months he ate 2 6 oz formula cereal bottles, 2 jars of food, and 1 cup of juice at my house a day so he ate like mine did so im just wondering if breastfed babies are differnt or she is worried about her Son getting fat?
I have a 3 month old that goes thru 4, 4oz daily (10 hrs)... my others do similar even though older - they also eat some veg & fruit at meal times (all 4 are BF at moment). I don't do cereal, but I'm also not on FP lol. Crackers & yogurt are big YES items also except for the under 6 month old. I never did jarred food - I make my own baby food & dice up soft cooked for older babes. Just saw the date lol
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
I have a 3 month old that goes thru 4, 4oz daily (10 hrs)... my others do similar even though older - they also eat some veg & fruit at meal times (all 4 are BF at moment). I don't do cereal, but I'm also not on FP lol. Crackers & yogurt are big YES items also except for the under 6 month old. I never did jarred food - I make my own baby food & dice up soft cooked for older babes. Just saw the date lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breastfeeding

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare marylmr Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 60 02-24-2020 12:20 PM
Not Allowed to Breastfeed at Daycare Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 27 06-29-2016 09:37 AM
Daycare Family Trying To Re-Collect Money Owed To A Provider! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 46 02-22-2011 10:30 AM
Signing In and Out of Daycare Question Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 9 09-20-2010 03:46 PM
What to do??? rachadelle Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 04-30-2009 05:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming