Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Transitioning To 1 Nap

At what age have you found most children transition to one nap? I know that there are so many factors to this such as bed time/wake time/whether they sleep through the night etc. but I am just wondering from those of you that have been doing this for years if anyone has noticed a pattern or a general age when this transition starts to occur.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At what age have you found most children transition to one nap? I know that there are so many factors to this such as bed time/wake time/whether they sleep through the night etc. but I am just wondering from those of you that have been doing this for years if anyone has noticed a pattern or a general age when this transition starts to occur.
Personally, I start trying one nap every other day.....around 10 or 11 months. By the time they are 1 yr old, they are pretty well used to napping only once.

When specifically is different for each kid (depending on their sleep styles) but when I do begin the transition, I discuss it with the parent so they can support the efforts at home too.... It works much more smoothly when parents and I transition to "big kid" stuff at roughly the same time.

Normally I don't care what parents do at home but transition periods always work better when we work together towards the same goal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,090
Default

I've been transitioning my 11-month old grandson to one nap. For a few weeks, I limited his morning nap to about 20-30 minutes....enough to keep him from falling asleep in his lunch! This week is the first week he's been napping only in the afternoons. His afternoon naps are really solid now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,642
Default

It is not developmentally appropriate until at least 14-16 months to drop a morning nap. Of course every baby is different. Usually by 18 months kids have dropped down to one nap. I have 3 kids right now that are 17mos, 15mos and 13mos and all take both naps and cannot make it to afternoon nap without the morning nap. If I do skip the morning nap they are falling asleep in their lunch!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,607
Default

Yep, usually between 11-12 mos. I try to have them in the "big kid" routine - napping at the same time, eating the same foods, etc - when they turn 1, or shortly after.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:11 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,039
Default

For me it's usually around 18 months.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,816
Default

Around 18 months. I have had kids that are in their 2's still need them, but 18 months is the average.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,308
Default

Generally from 11 months to 24 months.

I transition them to mats at 11 months so they begin to wander, toward the end of morning naps, to play earlier and earlier. I continue to lay them down for morning nap, as usual, until they consistently get right back up to play. It is optional.

Most are done with morning nap by 15 months, though. My hard core nappers sometimes last to 18 months. My preschoolers have be known to opt in to morning nap, at will, as well. We are laid back like that, they can rest anytime they want, all take great afternoon naps.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Personally, I start trying one nap every other day.....around 10 or 11 months. By the time they are 1 yr old, they are pretty well used to napping only once.

When specifically is different for each kid (depending on their sleep styles) but when I do begin the transition, I discuss it with the parent so they can support the efforts at home too.... It works much more smoothly when parents and I transition to "big kid" stuff at roughly the same time.

Normally I don't care what parents do at home but transition periods always work better when we work together towards the same goal.
I was hoping you would give your input. I've been lurking on this forum for almost a year now and you always have the best input. My child in question is almost 10 months old. They took his nuk away cold turkey about a month ago and ever since naps have been a struggle at daycare and at home (worse at home from mom's stories). In this time he has also become mobile and is transitioning to solid "big kid" snack and meals. Mom also doesn't work until 10 and he is always dropped off at 9 to keep consistency but sometimes he'll wake up on his own as early as 7 and sometimes he'll sleep until 8:30. I've had him since 5 weeks and he's the happiest little guy I've ever cared for.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was hoping you would give your input. I've been lurking on this forum for almost a year now and you always have the best input. My child in question is almost 10 months old. They took his nuk away cold turkey about a month ago and ever since naps have been a struggle at daycare and at home (worse at home from mom's stories). In this time he has also become mobile and is transitioning to solid "big kid" snack and meals. Mom also doesn't work until 10 and he is always dropped off at 9 to keep consistency but sometimes he'll wake up on his own as early as 7 and sometimes he'll sleep until 8:30. I've had him since 5 weeks and he's the happiest little guy I've ever cared for.
Aw, thank you!

Is there any particular reason they are weaning him from his pacifier other than age? Sometimes I think cold turkey removal of certain things (especially soothers and/or security items) is well, mean.

I don't care if kids have pacifiers here until the day they leave for Kindy just so long as the item isn't used any other time except rest time. I know adults that have to have things a certain way for good sound sleep so when a child requires or uses a soothing item (blanket, paci, thumb etc) for sleep, removing such item in my opinion only adds issues.

Is he showing signs of not needing two separate naps (super short nap times) or is he leaning more towards still needing two solid naps every day?

I have an 14 month old right now that comes 2 days a week at 9:30 and the other 3 days at 7:30. He gets up at the same time every morning regardless according to DCM.

On the early days, I notice he will take one solid afternoon nap super easy but on the later drop off days, he fights rest time and sleeps only a short amount of time.

My belief is that he is not being worn out like he would be here (physically and mentally) at home so the later drop offs are causing nap issues on those days. The lazy morning doesn't exactly make him exhausted.... whereas we are busy from open to close so when he arrives earlier he is exhausted by the time nap time rolls around.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Aw, thank you!

Is there any particular reason they are weaning him from his pacifier other than age? Sometimes I think cold turkey removal of certain things (especially soothers and/or security items) is well, mean.

I don't care if kids have pacifiers here until the day they leave for Kindy just so long as the item isn't used any other time except rest time. I know adults that have to have things a certain way for good sound sleep so when a child requires or uses a soothing item (blanket, paci, thumb etc) for sleep, removing such item in my opinion only adds issues.

Is he showing signs of not needing two separate naps (super short nap times) or is he leaning more towards still needing two solid naps every day?

I have an 14 month old right now that comes 2 days a week at 9:30 and the other 3 days at 7:30. He gets up at the same time every morning regardless according to DCM.

On the early days, I notice he will take one solid afternoon nap super easy but on the later drop off days, he fights rest time and sleeps only a short amount of time.

My belief is that he is not being worn out like he would be here (physically and mentally) at home so the later drop offs are causing nap issues on those days. The lazy morning doesn't exactly make him exhausted.... whereas we are busy from open to close so when he arrives earlier he is exhausted by the time nap time rolls around.
No reason they just think he doesn't need it anymore. They took older sisters away at 6 months cold turkey. I didn't know her back then but from the way mom talks she was a way more difficult child but way less dependent on her nuk than he was. He's pretty content on the days he has just one nap. Once he is down it is not uncommon for him to sleep 2 hours (slept 3 hours most days as an infant) but there is that occasional day where he'll think it's okay to stay up after 30 mins and on those days I can tell he needs another nap but will take forever once put in his bed to fall asleep and/or it's like an hour or less before pick up time.

Also this is totally unrelated but maybe you will know the answer. DCG 1 has a parent that is a teacher. She will be starting half days only in June as her mom will only be teaching morning summer school. I only have a day rate so she will still be paying the full rate for June and July. Summer school does not run here the entire month of August but mom is a coach for a Fall sport. More than likely DCG will only be here from 9-12 in August and not every day. If I end up not charging mom at all (I know this may sound stupid but it's 3 hours and DCM is my best friend) if I don't charge her can I still count her in my meal counts as she will more than likely be here during AM snack and lunch or can I not count her as far as taxes are concerned. I do not participate in the food program, many in my area don't and honestly advise against it. I had a rep come out once but wasn't feeling it so my question is just from a tax standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

Truthfully I think 11 months is way to early to transition off of two naps to one. In my experience most kids start going to one nap around 16-18 months. I have one child now that is in that hard phase. Mom still gives her an hour nap in the morning and a long nap in the afternoon. I have her down to a 45 minute nap in the morning and a long nap in the afternoon. I have tried her on one nap but she barely makes it through lunch.
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 AM
Pepperth's Avatar
Pepperth Pepperth is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 676
Default

I think it depends so much on the time clients drop off and pick up. I do a 12:00 nap time here for the older kids. With my son, I dropped it around a year and he could hold out until noon, take a nice long nap, and go to bed at a good time. Most of the daycare kids do it between a year and 14 months. Right now, I have a little one who comes early and does half days, and so gets picked up shortly after naptime for the older kids starts. I know he gets up (and dropped off) earlier than the other kids, and takes a later afternoon nap, so at 18 months, he just outgrew the morning nap.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 AM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 778
Default

Most kids I find transition to 1 nap around 12 to 18 months. My last DK kid waited till 18 months to drop it. My own who's 17 months (yesterday) is now dropping it this week. But I've also am changing our schedule a bit and moved nap from 1230pm to 1200pm. I had to change it for the upcoming school year to acomadate my 4 year olds school times for the fall. Now seemed like a good time to switch the schedule since my little guy is switching up nap now and I'm down kids till August when I have new ones start.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
transitioning - naps

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this totally chicken? Transitioning to 4 day SunflowerMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 04-27-2017 11:32 AM
Help with 2yo Transitioning from SAHM into Daycare PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 06-11-2014 05:36 AM
Transitioning From 'Free-Play' To 'Choice-Time' Brooksie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 07-16-2013 11:36 AM
Transitioning to Milk/Cup MNMum Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 08-02-2012 12:37 PM
Transitioning From Pack in Play to Mats mac60 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 03-17-2010 04:54 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming