Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract Predicament
Indoorvoice 09:06 AM 04-29-2019
I kind of vented about this in the venting thread, but thinking this through more, I need a little advice about something I might have gotten myself into.

I offered one teacher family a very discounted rate with the understanding that care is not provided over her breaks but she still has to pay. This includes summer where she pays the same rate all summer and can come 2 days a week. This is in her contract. This has worked for her the last 2 years since she usually uses me for the summer to run errands and stuff. I have a feeling mom is getting ready to discontinue care for the summer as she has not payed in 2 weeks which is not like her. I am actually closing at the end of the school year for my other 2 families but offered to continue care for them through the summer and next school year because their family and hours are perfect (except for the recent non payment I've never had a problem).

If dcm decides not to come or pay this summer, I will have been very underpaid all school year. If she cancels the agreement to pay for the summer, how should I handle this? Just eat the pay hit, since I'm closing anyway? I don't technically need the money since I have another job now. I guess if she cancels,I would not offer care for the following school year either. Do you feel that's fair? We have nothing writing about next school year yet.
hwichlaz 09:31 AM 04-29-2019
you are just as bound by your contract as she is
sahm1225 09:55 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
you are just as bound by your contract as she is
This, but since you’re closing, I don’t see how you’d be obligated to continue care for the next school year. Have you asked them why they haven’t paid? Maybe it’s a total oversight
Indoorvoice 10:08 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
This, but since you’re closing, I don’t see how you’d be obligated to continue care for the next school year. Have you asked them why they haven’t paid? Maybe it’s a total oversight
The first week I did not. They had a rough week being in and out of the hospital with a family member so I figured it was oversight and was willing to let it go since they've never had issues and I knew they were stressed. The 2nd week I had no contact with mom or dad. Grandma dropped and picked off every day. I have sent emails and texts and called with no response. This week they are on vacation and not here. I'm not sure why they aren't getting back with me. Nothing I'm aware of has happened on my end that would make them mad.
boy_mom 10:55 AM 04-29-2019
I'm sure they wanted to save their money for vacation!

I would send an email ASAP letting them know they owe money for the first two weeks, as well as the week they are on vacation (if that's your policy) in full before you can resume care.

If its electronic payments I would also set a quick deadline and let them know they will also owe a late fee of xx amount each day payment isn't received.
Mom2Two 11:40 AM 04-29-2019
If you are closing, maybe she is feeling that she needs to start a relationship with a new provider. It might put her in a bad spot if she tried to wait until the new school year starts.
Cat Herder 11:45 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

she has not payed in 2 weeks

If dcm decides not to come or pay this summer, I will have been very underpaid all school year. Do you feel that's fair? We have nothing writing about next school year yet.
She would have already terminated her contract here by not paying. I would have filled her slot last week.

No, it isn't fair but you made the terms. Going forward, if you come back (which many do ) never give discounts in expectation of loyalty or future pay. It rarely works out.
Tags:deposit, non-payment, parents - taking advantage
Reply Up