Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CL Scams
Scout 08:38 AM 10-02-2012
How do u know if replies from your CL add is a scam? So far I have. gotten 2 out of towners that i feel are but, if legit great money. i dont want to give out any info til i know for sure. kwim? I cant see how these scams work, do they wire u money then ask for more back? If so i cant believe people fall for this.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 10-02-2012
I think since Craig's List is what it is, there really is no way to know who is being truthful and who is trying to scam you. One of the many reasons I do not ever advertise on CL, however, I know many people do and have good luck with it.

Either way, whatever works for you but I would NEVER ever take money from someone from CL. They give you a bad check and when you cash it and give them the cash money, the check bounces and you are left out ALL that money.

You'll be fine in that aspect if you never do any money trasactions with someone from CL...at least not until after you have met them face to face and they are fully enrolled.
Crazy8 09:56 AM 10-02-2012
part of the problem with CL is when you reply to them they then have your real email address. I don't know how/what happens from there but TWICE when I thought I had legit buyers for some stuff I was selling I then got an email that LOOKED like it was from my husband saying "check out this link" but it was a scam link that I imagine if you opened was a virus or something. I don't know all the tech savvy details involved but I believe it goes to people in your contacts!

Can you do little checks on the email addresses, the peoples names, etc. First thing I do is look them up on facebook, LOL! Also sites like intelius can sometimes help see if a person is really from where they say they are. NEVER send them money or take a money order/transfer from anyone (esp for more than your services) and NEVER agree to care without an in person interview.
Scout 10:34 AM 10-02-2012
Yep, this is why the last email i sent said, " i would be happy to recieve payment once" meeting in person & your daughter is enrolled. No need for prepayment as i have no kids enrolled yet". Big shock, havent heard anything since!
renodeb 11:44 AM 10-02-2012
I have had quite a few scam emails from cl. The one I was nervous about I clicked the respond to this email address and it said UK in the addy. Another more recent one was just worded weird. I emailed her back and asked for more info Age of child, hours needed, was she in dc before, and I gave her my area of town but no address, she wrote back and answered and asked if she could meet me. (after asking what part of town she lives in and a few other little info bits) She was nice but didnt enroll. Usually your instict will guide you pretty well! The ones worded like they are coming to the states for a month or something to that affect are the dead give aways.
I have gotten some enrollments from cl, you just gotta be careful.
Deb
DCMama 01:05 PM 10-02-2012
I usually copy and paste parent email and google it to check for any scams links to it. I found a few. Same email that got flag and people saying they tell people to wire money to them. I notice a few tips would be check if the spelling is correct, check the email address, if they are from a different country forget it. Most of them have very elaborate stories to tell you. I think it be safer to get their numbers and talk to them over the phone before doing business. I got burn a few times from fellow childcare providers who pretend to be prospective parent only to waste my time. Those are the worst.
SunshineMama 01:23 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by aprilsfool77:
How do u know if replies from your CL add is a scam? So far I have. gotten 2 out of towners that i feel are but, if legit great money. i dont want to give out any info til i know for sure. kwim? I cant see how these scams work, do they wire u money then ask for more back? If so i cant believe people fall for this.
I have had that happen to me before. They start out saying they are moving to the area, and all seems okay... then they ask you for a list of your personal information, and want your bank account information to wire you their deposit in advance.
Tags:scam
Reply Up