Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ooooohhh.Whoooo...It's Not Just Us..."Core Standards"
Heidi 08:22 AM 11-22-2013
http://www.upworthy.com/a-student-ex...ls-it-6?c=ufb1

haha..."why don't we just manufacture robots instead of students?"
CedarCreek 08:35 AM 11-22-2013
That was excellent! I wonder how he got so smart without all if this "common core" in his day!
Hunni Bee 04:01 PM 11-22-2013
What is Common Core? Some kind of new curriculum, like the Standards of Learning 15 years ago?

From what I've heard its the devil...
heyhun77 05:02 PM 11-22-2013
Common core is standardize measures in each academic area by grade level to be implemented nationally so that all students have common learning.
dbslas 05:06 PM 11-22-2013
Amen!
Heidi 05:27 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
What is Common Core? Some kind of new curriculum, like the Standards of Learning 15 years ago?

In WI, we have common core standards for K-12, called Wisconsin Model Learning Standards. We also have WMELS: Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards.

http://www.collaboratingpartners.com...-documents.php

While they don't involve "testing" in the K-12 sense, the teaching cycle tied to it does involve assessment, goal setting, and writing a curriculum based on those assessments and goals. This applies to infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, and means WRITTEN assessments, WRITTEN goals, and a WRITTEN, planned curriculum.

So, for example, I would look at an infants gross motor development, and say "oh...he is here on the continuum. I would like to help him move along the continuum. How can I do this? Well, I can set the goal of helping him learn to sit up. What activities can I plan to help him learn to sit up? When will I implement those activities? What barriers might I encounter and how can I work around them? How will I know when I've met this goal? How will I communicate to parents what we are doing?

Now, I would do this for each child in my program, in each area of development. For the 5 month old, the 11 month old, the 11 1/2 month old, and the 2 year old. I would manage this all on top of the 50 hours per week I already work, and while respecting each child's natural rhythm for sleep and nutrition, and providing positive guidance for the children, and plenty of outdoor time, and teacher-led physical activities, and sensory experiences, and parent communication (preferably a newsletter and several events per year, plus annual conferences), and focused portfolios, and nutritious meals, and paperwork, and caregiving routines, and cleaning and sanitation. I'm sure I missed something. All this for what amount to minimum wage, and for children who's parents want only a safe, loving, and fun CHILDCARE PROVIDER.
Annalee 08:23 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

Common Core IS AWFUL in my state schools! I have a 4th and 6th grader. Not only is school work bad but so is the testing that comes in the spring. Students must be proficient in three of four subjects to move on the next grade. This testing is 15% of my children's last 9 weeks grade, then averaged with the other 9-week grades. IT IS A MESS!

This is the core: my youngest must know his math facts....example 7 x 3 =21...Instead of that being enough, in his work he has to prove this by doing this: 7 x (2+1)...... 7 x 2 =14 and 7 x 1 = 7 ...... 14 + 7 = 21 Therefore 7 x 3 = 21.... Did this exact problem a few weeks ago and met with the teacher to talk about the craziness of this. Teachers in my state hate it...say it moves so fast that the kids struggling get left behind.....

We are creating IT tech robots.....
nanglgrl 11:53 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Common Core IS AWFUL in my state schools! I have a 4th and 6th grader. Not only is school work bad but so is the testing that comes in the spring. Students must be proficient in three of four subjects to move on the next grade. This testing is 15% of my children's last 9 weeks grade, then averaged with the other 9-week grades. IT IS A MESS!

This is the core: my youngest must know his math facts....example 7 x 3 =21...Instead of that being enough, in his work he has to prove this by doing this: 7 x (2+1)...... 7 x 2 =14 and 7 x 1 = 7 ...... 14 + 7 = 21 Therefore 7 x 3 = 21.... Did this exact problem a few weeks ago and met with the teacher to talk about the craziness of this. Teachers in my state hate it...say it moves so fast that the kids struggling get left behind.....

Oh my goodness, I was trying to explain this new way of doing math to someone the other day. My daughter got it all, thankfully all of my children are gifted at math (didn't get that from me) but trying to help her with homework was frustrating to say the least. I remember sitting there going 3 x 5 = 15, 4 x 5 = 20 etc. and telling her that's how it went and she was about in tears trying to explain that's not how it works. She's 13 now ans even though she's geese at math I don't think she can sit there and list 2 x 7= 14, 3 x 7 = 21 etc. there's no memorization to it, no automatic response. I get why they are doing it this way (I was never good at the memorization myself) but it really ended up being a mess for the kids who didn't start that way but had to change how they did things.
Lil'DinoEggs 02:49 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
In WI, we have common core standards for K-12, called Wisconsin Model Learning Standards. We also have WMELS: Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards.

While they don't involve "testing" in the K-12 sense, the teaching cycle tied to it does involve assessment, goal setting, and writing a curriculum based on those assessments and goals. This applies to infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, and means WRITTEN assessments, WRITTEN goals, and a WRITTEN, planned curriculum.

So, for example, I would look at an infants gross motor development, and say "oh...he is here on the continuum. I would like to help him move along the continuum. How can I do this? Well, I can set the goal of helping him learn to sit up. What activities can I plan to help him learn to sit up? When will I implement those activities? What barriers might I encounter and how can I work around them? How will I know when I've met this goal? How will I communicate to parents what we are doing?

Now, I would do this for each child in my program, in each area of development. For the 5 month old, the 11 month old, the 11 1/2 month old, and the 2 year old. I would manage this all on top of the 50 hours per week I already work, and while respecting each child's natural rhythm for sleep and nutrition, and providing positive guidance for the children, and plenty of outdoor time, and teacher-led physical activities, and sensory experiences, and parent communication (preferably a newsletter and several events per year, plus annual conferences), and focused portfolios, and nutritious meals, and paperwork, and caregiving routines, and cleaning and sanitation. I'm sure I missed something. All this for what amount to minimum wage, and for children who's parents want only a safe, loving, and fun CHILDCARE PROVIDER.
Amen!!
Heidi 05:56 AM 11-23-2013

The crazy thing about that is that the whole point of doing math this way is that it's supposed to PREVENT just memorizing facts. It's supposed to give kids who don't just memorize easily another CREATIVE way to figure out the answer. "How many ways can you figure this out?" is not supposed to be the test. It's supposed to be a way to learn to solve problems and think outside the box. Now, they've just made the freakin' box a lot bigger.
Hunni Bee 06:47 AM 11-23-2013
Another reason why I will scrape, work and save to send my child to a non-traditional school, preferably a Waldorf.
Annalee 07:12 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Oh my goodness, I was trying to explain this new way of doing math to someone the other day. My daughter got it all, thankfully all of my children are gifted at math (didn't get that from me) but trying to help her with homework was frustrating to say the least. I remember sitting there going 3 x 5 = 15, 4 x 5 = 20 etc. and telling her that's how it went and she was about in tears trying to explain that's not how it works. She's 13 now ans even though she's geese at math I don't think she can sit there and list 2 x 7= 14, 3 x 7 = 21 etc. there's no memorization to it, no automatic response. I get why they are doing it this way (I was never good at the memorization myself) but it really ended up being a mess for the kids who didn't start that way but had to change how they did things.
Yes, my youngest, now in fourth grade, has been taught common core since first grade but my sixth grader got caught in the crossfire because it started as a pilot program here when he was in third grade... Needless to say, fourth grade was a nightmare for him.
cheerfuldom 09:33 AM 11-23-2013
My daughter is in kinder. Her class is structured with Common Core standards and her teacher is very young so the teacher has always done these standards (no old habits to break). so this scenario is working very well for my girl because she is self motivated, very smart and enjoys worksheets and that sort of thing. however, I have a special needs child starting kinder next year and i am very worried for how she will fare. The common core standards is a fast pace and a lot of work and I dont see my second daughter doing well there. I dont know what we will do.....
melilley 09:48 AM 11-23-2013

I was just talking to my family about this very thing. The way they teach math now is just crazy! My dd is in 5th grade and honestly, it is very difficult for me to help her because I have no idea how they teach them to figure out the problems. It's sad.
melilley 09:51 AM 11-23-2013
The crazy thing about that is that the whole point of doing math this way is that it's supposed to PREVENT just memorizing facts. It's supposed to give kids who don't just memorize easily another CREATIVE way to figure out the answer. "How many ways can you figure this out?" is not supposed to be the test. It's supposed to be a way to learn to solve problems and think outside the box. Now, they've just made the freakin' box a lot bigger.
Now instead of the kids just memorizing facts, they are one day going to be sitting there saying, for instance at the grocery store, "well if you take this and subtract this then take away 10, there's my answer" instead of Bam-this is it. Kwim? It sounds better when I think of it in my head.....lol
Heidi 10:30 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Now instead of the kids just memorizing facts, they are one day going to be sitting there saying, for instance at the grocery store, "well if you take this and subtract this then take away 10, there's my answer" instead of Bam-this is it. Kwim? It sounds better when I think of it in my head.....lol
I'm in the middle on this one. I think they should be encouraged to memorize just the facts, because it is the foundation of higher math. It's hard to do calculus, etc, if one is bogged down with times tables. On the other hand, some kids are better at figuring out their own way. My son did a benchmark test in 8th grade, and scored at a college level, but he did all the problems his own way (IE: the "wrong" way). The tests should care about the outcome, not the means to it, kwim? It's supposed to test your knowledge, not your IQ or your memory skills. If you know it, it doesn't matter HOW you know it, or how creatively you got there, or what else you know. Can you get the answer?

That is not how they should teach, though. They should teach to problem solve, and give guidance. What works for one kid won't work for another.

uh oh...soap box again...sorry....
melilley 10:50 AM 11-23-2013
I'm in the middle on this one. I think they should be encouraged to memorize just the facts, because it is the foundation of higher math. It's hard to do calculus, etc, if one is bogged down with times tables. On the other hand, some kids are better at figuring out their own way. My son did a benchmark test in 8th grade, and scored at a college level, but he did all the problems his own way (IE: the "wrong" way). The tests should care about the outcome, not the means to it, kwim? It's supposed to test your knowledge, not your IQ or your memory skills. If you know it, it doesn't matter HOW you know it, or how creatively you got there, or what else you know. Can you get the answer?

That is not how they should teach, though. They should teach to problem solve, and give guidance. What works for one kid won't work for another.

I totally see what you are saying and agree! Especially the last statement on how they should teach to problem solve, and give guidance. The tests should care about the outcome, not how they get there. I know for my dd, she often has to show her work and if they work isn't right or she shows it a different way than they teach, she will get marked down even if the answer is correct.

Oh, and I like hearing your perspective on things. Many times I either gain a different perspective or what I am trying to say is what you say, but for some reason I don't have the ability to say what I want to say without it coming out wrong or confusing..lol
Heidi 11:12 AM 11-23-2013
I totally see what you are saying and agree! Especially the last statement on how they should teach to problem solve, and give guidance. The tests should care about the outcome, not how they get there. I know for my dd, she often has to show her work and if they work isn't right or she shows it a different way than they teach, she will get marked down even if the answer is correct.

Oh, and I like hearing your perspective on things. Many times I either gain a different perspective or what I am trying to say is what you say, but for some reason I don't have the ability to say what I want to say without it coming out wrong or confusing..lol

Just to clarify, they should teach "many different ways", but the intention of a test is that you can get the right answer. A test is a test, not a meaningful dialog. Schools should teach to be meaningful, though. So, while testing has it's place, it's not the sole indicator of success.
cheerfuldom 11:59 AM 11-23-2013
Its funny because the way you are describing math in common core is the way that I do things in my head.....
cheerfuldom 12:02 PM 11-23-2013

I agree with you. I did well in higher math, got an A in college calculus, LOVED my online math courses which most people hate because you have to be self motivated, no assistance. anywho, I cannot teach others to do math. I don't have a system but I always did really well in getting the right answers as long as we were not being grading on coming up with the answer in a particular way. I hate teachers that grade on showing work their way/the right way.
melilley 12:12 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Its funny because the way you are describing math in common core is the way that I do things in my head.....
I do have to say that I do this when I do percentages!
Heidi 05:20 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with you. I did well in higher math, got an A in college calculus, LOVED my online math courses which most people hate because you have to be self motivated, no assistance. anywho, I cannot teach others to do math. I don't have a system but I always did really well in getting the right answers as long as we were not being grading on coming up with the answer in a particular way. I hate teachers that grade on showing work their way/the right way.
My son that tested at college level in 8th grade got D's. He'd had his IQ tested in Kindy, results of 135-140, estimated (IQ tests are not really designed for 5 year olds). I new his grades weren't a matter of ability, but motivation. When he took the test (different school district, btw), the school psychologist said "he did them the wrong way, but he got them all right". The school counselors answer was "well, we just need to teach him to do them the right way, then". -

So, I pulled him out of school and he homeschooled via online school. If the counselor had said "Wow, son, that is amazing! You are so smart, we should see how many DIFFERENT ways we can teach you to do this math", I would have been . But, he chose to focus on what was WRONG with my child vs. what was right....typical of the school system.

5 years later, DS called me from the army. "Mom, I got into Sniper school" (his dream, not mine). "Do you want to know what got me in? My crazy math skills".

He just left the military, btw, and thankfully never had to shoot anyone, but got to be a SNIPER, man!
Brooksie 05:26 PM 11-23-2013
I saw this earlier and shared the CRAP out of it via fb. Its excellent.
WImom 05:20 AM 11-24-2013

Why I'm a 2 Star I really wish these people that come up with this stuff actually try it for a month or two in our shoes!
Kaddidle Care 06:24 AM 11-24-2013
My son that tested at college level in 8th grade got D's. He'd had his IQ tested in Kindy, results of 135-140, estimated (IQ tests are not really designed for 5 year olds). I new his grades weren't a matter of ability, but motivation. When he took the test (different school district, btw), the school psychologist said "he did them the wrong way, but he got them all right". The school counselors answer was "well, we just need to teach him to do them the right way, then". -

So, I pulled him out of school and he homeschooled via online school. If the counselor had said "Wow, son, that is amazing! You are so smart, we should see how many DIFFERENT ways we can teach you to do this math", I would have been . But, he chose to focus on what was WRONG with my child vs. what was right....typical of the school system.
This reminds me of a situation my son had in school. He's a Math geek for sure but the way he learns - he has to know the "whys". I was very disappointed when one Math Teacher told him that she didn't have time to teach him "why", just do the formula. Scary huh?

Question for you all - is the Core Curriculum the same as the Standards Based Grading? If it is, that's what they just implemented in our School System. Grades are Tests and Quizzes and homework doesn't count although they keep track of whether the child does it or not.

So... you could have a brilliant child that aces tests and doesn't do homework and they would be frowned upon and denied access to the High School special schools because they want kids that are willing to do the work.

Kind of makes you say HMMMMM.

I don't feel this is a positive change and am not happy that my child is one of the guinea pigs. But unfortunately when they have a district wide meeting that includes 10 schools (approximately 5,000 students) and only 35 people show up, they do what they want.
Heidi 08:18 AM 11-24-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
This reminds me of a situation my son had in school. He's a Math geek for sure but the way he learns - he has to know the "whys". I was very disappointed when one Math Teacher told him that she didn't have time to teach him "why", just do the formula. Scary huh?

Question for you all - is the Core Curriculum the same as the Standards Based Grading? If it is, that's what they just implemented in our School System. Grades are Tests and Quizzes and homework doesn't count although they keep track of whether the child does it or not.

So... you could have a brilliant child that aces tests and doesn't do homework and they would be frowned upon and denied access to the High School special schools because they want kids that are willing to do the work.
Kind of makes you say HMMMMM.

I don't feel this is a positive change and am not happy that my child is one of the guinea pigs. But unfortunately when they have a district wide meeting that includes 10 schools (approximately 5,000 students) and only 35 people show up, they do what they want.
I've had 4 of those (4 of 4). My youngest 2 (13 & 16) now attend a project-based charter school, and it's made a huge difference, especially for the older one. She has a list of projects she wants to do a mile long. The younger one is in the first year, and hasn't quite gotten into the groove 100% yet, but he's getting there. He's been told to sit down and shut up for 7 years, so the change to "so, what do you want to research?" is a big one.

This school does still have to meet the "core curriculum" standards; but they do it creatively. Student do 1 -6 week projects of there choosing, and with the teachers guidance, they plan the project and which standards it will meet, and how many credits that project will meet. My daughter usually has 3 or 4 projects she's juggling at once. I wish the school had been available when my older boys were in school, but it's only 3 years old. They both graduated from a virtual high school (state accredited), which became a means-to-an-end. They had both gone from being bright, inquisitive grade-schoolers to doing NO homework and acing every test; which led to mostly D's.
Cradle2crayons 08:28 AM 11-24-2013
I've had 4 of those (4 of 4). My youngest 2 (13 & 16) now attend a project-based charter school, and it's made a huge difference, especially for the older one. She has a list of projects she wants to do a mile long. The younger one is in the first year, and hasn't quite gotten into the groove 100% yet, but he's getting there. He's been told to sit down and shut up for 7 years, so the change to "so, what do you want to research?" is a big one.

This school does still have to meet the "core curriculum" standards; but they do it creatively. Student do 1 -6 week projects of there choosing, and with the teachers guidance, they plan the project and which standards it will meet, and how many credits that project will meet. My daughter usually has 3 or 4 projects she's juggling at once. I wish the school had been available when my older boys were in school, but it's only 3 years old. They both graduated from a virtual high school (state accredited), which became a means-to-an-end. They had both gone from being bright, inquisitive grade-schoolers to doing NO homework and acing every test; which led to mostly D's.
That's my daughter to a T. her grades just don't show accurately. Now all the different standardized tests they do including mct and map and all of the other pilot testing her school does shows her testing out high school level and miles ahead of her peers. Her classroom testing shows complete boredom. This is her last year in the school system though as I'll be taking her back out to finish up as a hands on homeschooler. This is her second year back in the school system after being homeschooled. I gave her the choice when we moved here and told her if she picked school she would have to stay two years. This is the second year. I'm excited to have her coming back home where her interests will flourish. She's smart as heck but needs challenge. And this school is excellent as far as standards.

I just feel like her days are filled with mct prep, map testing, and benchmark prep instead of learning.
dbslas 09:10 AM 11-24-2013

This is exactly what we have to do with our 6 Early Head Start children EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH.! On top caring for our other 6 community children. It is ridiculous!
The last paragraph that you wrote sums up how we feel exactly.
cheerfuldom 12:00 PM 11-24-2013

5 years later, DS called me from the army. "Mom, I got into Sniper school" (his dream, not mine). "Do you want to know what got me in? My crazy math skills".

He just left the military, btw, and thankfully never had to shoot anyone, but got to be a SNIPER, man!
It was awesome of you to recognize that the public school system was not the best place for him. Some kids really excel there and other kids don't....and it is not because they are stupid or incapable of learning!
cheerfuldom 12:03 PM 11-24-2013

My nephew went to a projects based college. He is very smart, curious, and creative but not at all the type of kid that does well with the traditional seat work of some schools. He is very independent and while he is a bit of a free spirit/beach bum, he is a hard worker and a beautiful person. i dont like that some schools try to squash that in kids.
Reply Up