Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Year Old Cliques
preschoolteacher 07:25 AM 10-08-2014
Mean girls already?

I have several young two year olds. Two girls play together very well. The problem is that one of the two has been exclusive. It's bothering me that she won't play with other kids when they want to play... Someone offers her pretend soup, and she bats it away unless it's her buddy. She wants her friend to sit on the big car with her, her friend says no, another kid wants to sit with her, but she won't play anymore. It is leaving the kids who are rejected feeling sad and saying heart breaking things like, "be my friend" and "friends, please?" The kids getting rejected are not exhibiting any behaviors like taking toys, etc., that would make her not want to play with them.

Thoughts?
midaycare 07:34 AM 10-08-2014
What a tool she is! I kid, I kid... Maybe separate the two girls as much as possible and create opportunities for the others to work together?
Meyou 07:49 AM 10-08-2014
Sounds like it's time for everyone to take turns playing with someone new. I would set up some stations or activities and spend a few days letting miss exclusive be partners with everyone other than her bff.
NeedaVaca 08:01 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Sounds like it's time for everyone to take turns playing with someone new. I would set up some stations or activities and spend a few days letting miss exclusive be partners with everyone other than her bff.

KiddieCahoots 09:34 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
What a tool she is! I kid, I kid... Maybe separate the two girls as much as possible and create opportunities for the others to work together?
......lmao!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I agree. I don't think the child is doing it to be mean but because it's more of a comfort thing. She knows this other child, knows how she plays and is able to "work with that" so she is drawn to her due to the familiarity of their relationship.

I would start having her play with others as Meyou suggested and help her build some new relationships.
midaycare 10:11 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
......lmao!
My sarcastic sense of humor is going to get me in big trouble one day!
Reply Up