Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want Some Opinions On PT!
KristinsHomeCC 04:51 AM 11-10-2015
Hello!

So I have a couple spots open because of a recent termination of a 1 day a week PT dcg. I had to terminate because she was miserable while here. I couldnt even get up to change a diaper without her screaming until I was back on the floor/couch with her. I mean, that miserable scream that would make you want to pull your ears off just to escape it

SO I have had lots of potential clients contact me for "socialization" ourposes (stay at home moms, PT working families etc) and Instead of turning them all down immediately because of past experience, I was wondering what everyone's policies are on PT schedules. Is there a certain amount of days per week, etc. Give me some 411!
KidGrind 05:21 AM 11-10-2015
I would offer PT paid in advance, NO SWITCHING DAYS due to holidays, illness or appointments. Days and hours set in stone.

I don’t know the area you live in. However, I’d offer hourly care at $10 per hour for any calls.

I’ll pretend you open from 7 AM - 5 PM and charge $150 per week which amounts to $30 per day per child.

For my part-timers in this situation I’d charge $90 per week for 2 days and their hours would be 9 AM - 3 PM. I would NOT allow them to come earlier or stay later.
Play Care 05:25 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I would offer PT paid in advance, NO SWITCHING DAYS due to holidays, illness or appointments. Days and hours set in stone.

I don’t know the area you live in. However, I’d offer hourly care at $10 per hour for any calls.

I’ll pretend you open from 7 AM - 5 PM and charge $150 per week which amounts to $30 per day per child.

For my part-timers in this situation I’d charge $90 per week for 2 days and their hours would be 9 AM - 3 PM. I would NOT allow them to come earlier or stay later.
This. I would make it work for you.
Oh, and I would have a two day min and they must be consecutive days. This way there is some consistency and routine.
childcaremom 05:47 AM 11-10-2015
I have had a lot of PTers in the past but not currently.

Some things I found:
*under 2 years it is really difficult to keep to schedule unless parents have a schedule at home. I don't take under 12 months but would really hesitate to do under 3 days a week.
*I prefer either 3 days together or else M/W/F. It is easier for me to schedule a T/Th client than M/F. If I had a T/W/Th client, I would leave other days open for drop ins or lighter days.
*I charge $5 extra per day for PT. I also don't allow switching of days for any reason.
*For socialization spots, I limit the hours that I child is in my care. I usually do 8:30-4 but like the sounds of 9-3

I will not do PT for a child over 3 years unless they have been in care before. I think I am jaded by a few negative experiences but it is what it is.

I don't accept children under 12 months but if I did would not do a PT spot with that age group ever.

For scheduling purposes, if I have someone that wants 2 days/week, and I think they would be an awesome fit, then I will accept them and look for a 3 day/week client to work around that. I would NOT take a 3 day/week client and try to find a 2 day/week client as it would be next to impossible in my area to find this. Hopefully that makes sense.

And lastly, 4 days is not PT but is FT.
KidGrind 06:13 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have had a lot of PTers in the past but not currently.

Some things I found:
*under 2 years it is really difficult to keep to schedule unless parents have a schedule at home. I don't take under 12 months but would really hesitate to do under 3 days a week.
*I prefer either 3 days together or else M/W/F. It is easier for me to schedule a T/Th client than M/F. If I had a T/W/Th client, I would leave other days open for drop ins or lighter days.
*I charge $5 extra per day for PT. I also don't allow switching of days for any reason.
*For socialization spots, I limit the hours that I child is in my care. I usually do 8:30-4 but like the sounds of 9-3

I will not do PT for a child over 3 years unless they have been in care before. I think I am jaded by a few negative experiences but it is what it is.

I don't accept children under 12 months but if I did would not do a PT spot with that age group ever.

For scheduling purposes, if I have someone that wants 2 days/week, and I think they would be an awesome fit, then I will accept them and look for a 3 day/week client to work around that. I would NOT take a 3 day/week client and try to find a 2 day/week client as it would be next to impossible in my area to find this. Hopefully that makes sense.

And lastly, 4 days is not PT but is FT.
This is all great information for the OP to chew on. I’d like to add anyone needing 25 hours or more a week is considered full-time. So if (AND I HAVE 3 CLIENTS DOING THIS) I have a clients requesting 25 hours + of care and do not come everyday, they pay me full-time rates.

As of now I have Mon, Tues, Thursday 6:30 AM - 3:30 PM = Pay full time

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 7:30 AM - 3:30 or 4:30 = Pay full time

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 - 5:00 PM = Pay full time

I do very specific contract hours.
nanglgrl 07:13 AM 11-10-2015
I have a lot of part time clients but am completely full except on Fridays (which I prefer) and I make more money than I would if I had all full time clients. For instance one child comes 1/2 days (mornings) Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, one client comes half days (afternoons) M-F, One child comes Monday, Wednesday, Friday and one child comes Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. They all share 2 slots. Since I charge more for part time than full time I make more.

I have the same rules of no switching days, etc. As far as what I consider part-time/full time it depends on the needed hours/days and my available spots. I have two, three and four/five day rates that are based on pick up time. If I had one ft spot open and a part timer was the only person looking I would accept them but would let them know if a ft person came along they may loose their spot. It's never happened though, I'm always able to fill in around them or have a part timer switch their days since generally part time clients are more flexible. However if a child needs varied days I charge the full time rate.

One problem is my Monday, Wednesday, Friday slot. I will never again accept a child under a year for part time and would probably prefer that to be under 18 months. I've had way too many part time infants/toddlers that haven't adjusted even after months in care. Right now my M/W/F slot is the worst. I've termed 2 families from it this year and their children never adjusted. The current child is a little older than the previous ones and is adjusting better.
Fiddlesticks 08:01 AM 11-10-2015
I am personally not a fan of part time, the children never seem fully integrated into the program. The most part time child I have right now is four days a week, and the mother complains constantly when we do fun stuff on the day her child doesn't come.

When I first started, I had two children who split days (one in the morning, one in the afternoon), they were both under two so it was a really big deal if their times over lapped, as it put me out of ratio. That happened twice, and the morning child was terminated due to late pick ups because I just couldn't have it. I have never split days again. Full days only.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:32 AM 11-10-2015
My full time rate is $150 a week for 2+ and $175 a week for under 2 years. If I have part time availability, I offer it like this:

Daily:
under 2- $55 a day (8-5pm)
over 2- $50 a day (8-5)
***must ask in advance to see if space is available.

3 days a week:
under 2-$135 week
over 2- $120
***days must be set in advance and are set in stone...no switching days unless you give a two week notice and the days wanted are available. Pay the full amount regardless of attendance.

I like part time, even though it can be a little harder for kids to adjust, but it pays more in terms of my income.

On a side note, and some may disagree, but I am not a fan of socialization care. IME, this is usually code for mom going crazy and needing to be rid of their kid for a few days a week, because they have behavior issues. Not saying this is always the case, but in my experience, this has been the case. I only work with parents who are working. If they want to drop off one day a week so they get me time, they pay a lot for it. For three days a week, I only offer it to parents who are working and need part time care for the week. Just my opinion and I know many who offer socialization care, but I don't find it necessary for young kids and seem to only find the parents who are trying to get rid of their kid for a bit, under the guise of socialization.
daycare 08:34 AM 11-10-2015
part time are as follows:

tue/thurs
or
mon/wed/fri

I will not take kids under the age of 2 part time. I don't take under 18 months at all.

you may not transfer days, you must pay for days if you attend or not.

I charge a higher rate for PT care vs FT care.

PT is $60 a day x # of days this is your flat weekly rate

FT is $52 x5, even if you only come 4 days
Ariana 11:04 AM 11-10-2015
I only take PTers. "socialization" is a myth. Moms really just want time away from their kids or are working part-time. I want income so it's win win! My only rules is no one under 18 months. It is way too hard on babies IMO. I prefer PT because the schedule is always different and for te most part you don't have the same kids every day or you only have them a short while.

Basically my PT schedule is you pay by the hours you use.
1-4 hours is $X
4-8 hours is $Y
8-10 hours is $Z
Before and after school care is $W

You can choose any type of arrangement as long as it jives with my kids ages and my schedule. My contract is the same for PTers as it is for full timers. The transition period is a bit shorter. You sign up for a certain amount of time and days and it's the same each week. A two week deposit is kept for the final two weeks of care etc.
284878 04:45 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I only take PTers. "socialization" is a myth. Moms really just want time away from their kids or are working part-time. I want income so it's win win! My only rules is no one under 18 months. It is way too hard on babies IMO. I prefer PT because the schedule is always different and for te most part you don't have the same kids every day or you only have them a short while.

Basically my PT schedule is you pay by the hours you use.
1-4 hours is $X
4-8 hours is $Y
8-10 hours is $Z
Before and after school care is $W

You can choose any type of arrangement as long as it jives with my kids ages and my schedule. My contract is the same for PTers as it is for full timers. The transition period is a bit shorter. You sign up for a certain amount of time and days and it's the same each week. A two week deposit is kept for the final two weeks of care etc.
Yes it is a myth. If they really want a child to have socialization, they would take them to the park, playdates, play groups, the library story time, and so forth....
I even told a parent this, it was someone at church, i let them know that our own church hosted a weekly play group that lo could attend for free.
melilley 12:19 PM 11-11-2015
I actually like taking p/t kids. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had any problems with any ages being p/t. I charge more for p/t if you break it down per day. I also require at least 2 days a week, although I've done one in the past and that still wasn't bad. I require that they have set days also or it's a higher drop in rate and if I have room. They also pay a daily rate whether they are here for 1 or 10 hours in a day.
HHdaycare12 10:27 PM 11-20-2015
I Love this idea. The under two fee and adding the 8am-5pm hours seems perfect. I have 6 part time DCKs and the hours are always changing, beyond a hassle for me. Thank you
Laurel 12:47 AM 11-21-2015
With part time I did a 3 day minimum and they paid a slightly higher per day rate. My part time parents worked so they could come anytime during the hours I was open like full time did.
Tags:part time care, spot availability
Reply Up