Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand, Foot, and Mouth
Boymom 06:32 PM 07-18-2016
My kids were around my niece for a little bit on Friday night. My SIL told me today that her daughter's (my niece) daycare has had an outbreak of HFM. My niece still isn't showing symptoms and my kids don't have any symptoms, but should I tell the daycare parents just in case? I've never experienced HFM before and I'm not sure what to do. I hear it's incredibly contagious though, so it scares me!
Denali 09:16 PM 07-18-2016
I've had hand foot mouth come through twice. Both times no one else got it. The second time we thought my daughter got it so I closed for a few days only for your doctor to say that he thought that she didn't really after all she got was two red bumps on her hand and two on her bum.

Both times the children who were sick were 3. One I allowed back when he's sores were just red and no fever, his thought was almost clear and he had very good hygiene, covered his mouth properly and always washed his hands. No one else got it.

Second time the child was a dose and drop. Mom refused to answer the phone when I started calling for pick up until I moved on to her alternative pick up people. Funny how fast she returned my phone calls within minutes of getting off the phone with one of them.

Anyway, she called after dcb' doctor appointment and said that his throat was full of open sores and his fever was 102. She told me her doctor said he'd be good to come back when the fever went down. So he should be back after the 24 hours that I exclude for. Told her nope, not until the sores in his mouth were closed and healing because dcb will not cover his mouth when he coughs.

She showed up for drop off 2 days later telling me that he was good for care. First thing I asked was how the sores looked. "Oh he won't let me look. But I'm sure he's all better. And he covers his mouth every time he coughs." Nope. I know her and dcb, send him back out the door to get a doctors note. While leaving dcb started coughing all over the place, never once covering his mouth.

Basically I excluded for 10 days as dcb was a hot mess. He had it bad. We thought my daughter caught it from him, but our doctor didn't think so as she only got 4 red bumps and had no other symptoms.
TSDaycare 11:36 AM 07-22-2016
My 11 month old picked it up from somewhere last fall. None of my other kids or dcks got it either. He had a pretty bad case.
Tags:foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth
Reply Up