Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are the Best Baby Bottles?
Unregistered 06:39 AM 09-09-2016
I have an infant who has terrible reflux spits up if you burp her or shift positions. Parents said I can't move her for 30 mins after a feed. She drinks 3-5 oz a feed and is 4 months old. Is currently using a dr Browns bottle I don't like them. What do you all think is the best kind of bottle to use?
jenboo 06:53 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an infant who has terrible reflux spits up if you burp her or shift positions. Parents said I can't move her for 30 mins after a feed. She drinks 3-5 oz a feed and is 4 months old. Is currently using a dr Browns bottle I don't like them. What do you all think is the best kind of bottle to use?

I've tested out an insane amount of bottles. The only ones I could find that don't create gassy babies are dr browns and Playtex drop ins.
Leigh 07:03 AM 09-09-2016
I think Dr. Brown's are the best. I also think that reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME.
Solandia 07:27 AM 09-09-2016
The best bottles are the ones baby likes. LOL

I see the best results with Dr Browns & playtex drop-ins,the old school ones...but...with pukers I also see improvement using *distilled* water, and SOY formula. Not the AR, not the predigested something or other... soy. Which is seems that is not "suggested" much anymore at all, according to the lady at WIC, or the nutritionist I talked to the other day(i have a foster baby on soy right now). Anyway, with meds, soy and dr browns bottles, he rarely spits up and is fairly happy in general.

I have had two other babies with super bad reflux, and soy reduced their issues by half(they still were pukers, but "happy" pukers). Soy puke is sooooo gross, the laundry aspect was horrible. So getting another baby on soy, my initial reaction was "oh...poopy sticks...".
Baby Beluga 07:37 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I think Dr. Brown's are the best. I also think that reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME.
with everything above.

My DD was a reflux baby - Dr. Browns were the only bottles she could tolerate. Her reflux was greatly improved by using lactose free formula (with gas drops) and decreasing the amount of formula she had in one feed. We also fed her upright, kept her up upright for about 15 minutes after a feed and would stop a feed halfway, burp her and then continue.

Good luck!
Unregistered 07:45 AM 09-09-2016
This baby is breastfed and on reflux meds. She uses the dr Browns but seems to get to much to fast. Mom cut out dairy and eggs.
MunchkinWrangler 07:59 AM 09-09-2016
This baby is breastfed and on reflux meds. She uses the dr Browns but seems to get to much to fast. Mom cut out dairy and eggs.
I, personally, am not a Dr. Brown's fan. I think their "anti-colic" system makes the bottles worse and the baby more gassy.

I think it is always a good idea to test out different bottles for each child. Each baby is different. I have always had better luck with the bottles without bells and whistles, less gas, less fuss, less money spent=happy baby.
Miss A 08:04 AM 09-09-2016
I have always been and forever will be a true believer in Playtex Drop-Ins. I love them, and plan to use them for my own baby when he/she needs expressed milk.

Dr. Brown bottles have seemed to cause more gas and reflux issues in my experience. My most recent DCM switched to Avent Natural from Dr. Brown, and we no longer had reflux issues. Mom was able to stop giving reflux meds, and baby no longer spits up.

Make sure the nipple isn't flowing too fast, and burp baby every 2 ounces. Sometimes baby just needs a break to let the belly settle, especial if she is taking quite a bit at one feeding. If mom is on board, you can also feed fewer ounces more frequently, to allow for baby's tummy to digest what she has been given.
laundrymom 08:42 AM 09-09-2016
Give me an old fashioned three hole brown nipple and a plain bottle any day of the week.
Baby Beluga 08:44 AM 09-09-2016
Is baby nursed at home? If so, does she often spit up after being nursed or does she just spit up when using the bottle?
Leigh 10:16 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Solandia:
The best bottles are the ones baby likes. LOL

I see the best results with Dr Browns & playtex drop-ins,the old school ones...but...with pukers I also see improvement using *distilled* water, and SOY formula. Not the AR, not the predigested something or other... soy. Which is seems that is not "suggested" much anymore at all, according to the lady at WIC, or the nutritionist I talked to the other day(i have a foster baby on soy right now). Anyway, with meds, soy and dr browns bottles, he rarely spits up and is fairly happy in general.

I have had two other babies with super bad reflux, and soy reduced their issues by half(they still were pukers, but "happy" pukers). Soy puke is sooooo gross, the laundry aspect was horrible. So getting another baby on soy, my initial reaction was "oh...poopy sticks...".
I agree completely. Soy formula has worked best for all of my pukers and it completely resolved their "reflux". The fact is, human babies are just not made for drinking cow's milk.
284878 07:21 AM 09-10-2016
I agree completely. Soy formula has worked best for all of my pukers and it completely resolved their "reflux". The fact is, human babies are just not made for drinking cow's milk.
I thought formula was based off breast milk, not cow's milk.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 09-10-2016
I agree but I think soy is worse.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I thought formula was based off breast milk, not cow's milk.
Formula has definitely evolved...

Cow milk based, human based, soy based...

Great read about its evolution:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK215837/
Luke25 11:37 AM 09-12-2016
I reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME[/b].
Totally agree with this!! Happened to my little boy. He was on reflux meds and turned out he had milk allergy and larengomalcia (floppy larynx) I think it's their go to thing with a spitting up fussy baby.
Luke25 11:39 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree but I think soy is worse.
Yeah I think so too. They don't even recommend it for milk allergy babies. They say to use the hypoallergenic formula (nutramigen)
laundrymom 12:12 PM 09-12-2016
I've found that spitty babies are often helped by increased tummy time. Anyone else feel this way?
Leigh 12:35 PM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Luke25:
Yeah I think so too. They don't even recommend it for milk allergy babies. They say to use the hypoallergenic formula (nutramigen)
I've seen doctors recommend that a lot. Nutramigen still contains casein, though, and the kids still wound up going to soy. The hypoallergenic formulas just have hydrolyzed proteins (making them easier on the system), but there are still milk products in there. Soy is the only thing that has worked for my own and for my daycare babies with milk allergy.
Crazy8 01:57 PM 09-12-2016
Dr Browns were the best for my gassy son but I hated all the parts involved so when he was about 6-7 months old and I thought maybe the gassiness was resolved I went back to our old bottles (playtex) and it was horrible - 2 days back on dr. browns and he was a happy boy again so we dealt with the parts until he was off bottles!

My daughter was a bad refluxer, to the point that she was FTT. We went through 5 different formulas (including Soy) before finding that Alimentum was the best for her. She is 17 now, has no milk allergies at all. Funny at the time we never really even thought to change her bottles and don't think Dr. Brown's were even around back then.
Play Care 03:56 PM 09-12-2016
I did soy with older dd who I believe has a dairy issue (when I mentioned it to the ped at the time he dismissed it ) Anyhoo, this was before all the soy fall out and I would have avoided it had I known. It's now referred to as a "last resort" formula because of the side effects, which include precocious puberty in girls and breast development in boys.

Thankfully dd seems to have suffered no ill effect, she's 11 and typically developing. Both of my nieces who also did soy started developing around 7/8 and both had their periods by 10. Too young!
284878 06:24 AM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I did soy with older dd who I believe has a dairy issue (when I mentioned it to the ped at the time he dismissed it ) Anyhoo, this was before all the soy fall out and I would have avoided it had I known. It's now referred to as a "last resort" formula because of the side effects, which include precocious puberty in girls and breast development in boys.

Thankfully dd seems to have suffered no ill effect, she's 11 and typically developing. Both of my nieces who also did soy started developing around 7/8 and both had their periods by 10. Too young!
My nephew who will be turning 11 soon was put on soy by his mom because he spit up. Soy reeked when he spit up and the spit up got worse. So they decided (sil and mil, well mainly mil) that he at 2 months needed cereal in the bottle, one scoop lead to more, which lead to cutting the nipple to let all the thick cereal to come out. He still spit up and it still reeked, it just got worse. ugh.
They used just plastic basic bottles, no thrills.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I've found that spitty babies are often helped by increased tummy time. Anyone else feel this way?
YES! As a matter of fact, I have noticed this.....

Over the last several years I have completely ditched all baby equipment. I use ONLY a crib for sleeping and a high chair for eating. Other wise it's the floor and LOTS of belly time.

I've had breast fed and formula fed (a variety of formulas) and a mixture of BF and formula fed babies and I've definitely noticed less spitting up compared to past years.

I DO think tummy time plays a big role in that.
renodeb 12:14 PM 09-13-2016
I have had the most success with the advent bottles. I have had a few re flux babies. I actually like the Dr. browns bottles.
Deb
Rockgirl 12:48 PM 09-13-2016
I think Dr Brown's are great. However, I sure wish they'd print the oz marks on the side, rather than just have them raised. My 46 year old eyes have a hard time reading them!
Leigh 02:21 PM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I think Dr Brown's are great. However, I sure wish they'd print the oz marks on the side, rather than just have them raised. My 46 year old eyes have a hard time reading them!
The old ones (with BPA) have them printed on the side-SO much easier to read!
mommyneedsadayoff 02:25 PM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

I agree. Tummy time is key. Parents will ask or complain to me and I sort of sound like a broken record..."tummy time"repeat, repeat, repeat.

Originally Posted by renodeb:
I have had the most success with the advent bottles. I have had a few re flux babies. I actually like the Dr. browns bottles.
Deb
Advent is the only bottle I have ever used. Bought my own stash for daycare because I love them so much. They use to have a leaking issue, which I got around, but I think the newer ones seem to not have that issue as much. They are the type of bottle where you don;t screw the lid on too tight or you get leakage. Regardless, I love them and they are so much easier to clean that browns!
Tags:avent, baby bottles, bottle dr brown, bottles
Reply Up