Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nibblers
morgan24 07:07 AM 10-19-2011
I have two part time dcks. They are twins, they will be 3 soon. They must nibble constantly at home. I have had them for a month and all they talk about is how hungry they are. They get here at 8:00, nibble on whatever we have for breakfast, they do the same with lunch. Not even an hour later they want something to eat and it goes on all day. They don't ever eat a whole meal, just nibble. For snack I give them fresh fruit and milk. They will eat a little of that but they whine the whole time because they want cookies with their milk. I'm guessing that they live on junk food snacks and don't have to eat if they don't feel like it.
SilverSabre25 07:10 AM 10-19-2011
Be consistent; they'll get it eventually. "Well then you should have eaten more at [last food time]."
nannyde 07:28 AM 10-19-2011
They are telling you that they get a lot of adult when they say the words "I'm hungry" and that they are doing a lot of treats throughout the day.

The whining about food is a "term of engagement". It's a way to get you to do them. They need to "do" toys and "do" play.

They prefer to have a treat... then an hour later another treat... then another half an hour later another treat etc.

I would not do ANY starch based treats at all when they are there. Offer them the meals at meal times and when you have snacks just offer protein and veg or fruit.

When they bring up what they want or that they are hungry tell them "no food ... go play toys".

So you tell them what you don't want to do "no food" and what you want them to do "go play toys".

They just have to figure out that at your house your hour to hour isn't about eating treats. It's about being a part of a group and playing toys and doing your activities.

Their treat life at home can't be mirrored in your world. They are just figuring out the world and they need to understand that not everywhere they go will they be able to say words and have candy and cookies come after the words.
Cat Herder 08:19 AM 10-19-2011
What Nan said...

The natural cure to nibblers is hunger.
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 10-19-2011
What Nan said^^^

I have had this issue in the past and I have also talked with the parents and helped them understand that certain practices at home make it really difficult for their child during the day. Most of the time, the parents are more than happy to work with me in changing those things because no parent wants their child to have a tough time while at care.
Tags:food issues
Reply Up