Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Pick Ups Or Drop Offs During Nap Time Policy....
Former Teacher 05:41 PM 05-21-2009
Another one of my questions. I read in another post from a home provider how she does not allow pu's and do's during nap time. Texas law state that parents have access to their children at ALL times. This one center received a violation because the rep came during nap time to find a sign stating their policy of pu's and do's.

My question to all the providers is that while I do see that policy often, is that a TX law about having access? Texas licensing have so many stupid and quirky laws I don't even know where to begin. That is why I have NO respect for them. But those comments are for another day

Just curious!
GretasLittleFriends 07:56 PM 05-21-2009
I checked MN DHS Rules regarding Licensing of Day Care (Ch 9502) and no where in it did I find it written that parents must be able to access their children at all times. So, that leads me to believe that it would be perfectly acceptable to have a policy stated that I didn't want pick-ups or drop-offs during nap time.

So, I suppose it varies from state to state, and perhaps even from county to county.
mac60 02:14 AM 05-22-2009
I would think the no pick ups during naptime unless an emergency, is more of a respect/consideration issue of the provider, and the children sleeping. I too hate it when parents pick up while children are napping, it becomes a big disruption, parents arn't quiet, and children get woken up. It would be one thing if parents would walk in very quietly, use a very soft voice, and quickly take their child.....but it never happens this way.
Unregistered 06:13 AM 05-23-2009
I think that parents should be able to pick up thier children anytime, even during nap time if needed. I would ask for them to please be very quiet or to wait outside the nap area and I would bring them out. The sooner they pick them up the better. As I am one of the people who can't stand parents that don't come right after work. Grocery store on their payday is ok, but other wise children need to spend as much time with thier parents as they can.
Rockwellmom 08:42 PM 05-25-2009
I agree that parents should be able to come and show up whenever they want. I have nothing to hide. Also, if they are going to come during nap time, they have always called me. Then I can have their child ready to go and no disturb the others. This has never been a problem for me.
mac60 08:49 AM 05-28-2009
Because we ask that there are no pickups during nap time.....does not mean that we are hiding something....it is a respect issue.
sweetcinna 01:37 PM 05-28-2009
I too have nothing to hide and i also have a open door policy, I also have a policy that i do not allow drop offs or pick ups during nap time, you examine my contract and you sign, then you agree to my terms. My reason for this is respect....I have had parents waltz through my door and wake all my children up only to be left with 6 screaming children who now will be cranky for the rest of the day some will go back to sleep so (most) will not. Then I have to explain to the other parents as to why "Jimmy" didn't get his nap today and is really cranky. And if you think for one second that i would subject my self to that, then your crazy. This is another reason that i do not take drop-ins!
Unregistered 07:33 PM 05-28-2009
I see from a providers view that you don't want your "break time" disrupted. However I have the right to pick up my child anytime I wish to. My schedule is my schedule. If I get done with work at 12:30 p.m. I am not going to wait around for 2 hours just because that's when nap time is.
I have a great provider and I do show her the respect by calling her and letting her know when I will be picking up my son during nap. She is very understanding. Again out of respect for my provider, if I can't drop off my son at a decent time, then I won't bring him in at all. But to tell me that I can't pick up my child during a certain time of the day is both ridiculous and uncalled for.
mac60 05:13 AM 06-01-2009
As a parent, you obviously have no idea what all a provider does thru day. I say that based on your "break time" comment. I start at 6:30 am. I finish at 5:15 pm. Some days I don't even get to eat lunch until 1:30 when I finally get all children down for nap. So, obviously you have no idea what a day as a daycare provider is like. Our jobs are nothing like yours probably is. We don't get a scheduled break, a scheduled lunch, we can't leave for an appointment and come back to our job 1 1 /2 hours later. We are on call for 10 plus hours each and every day. And just so you know..... during nap time....or break time as you think it is called.....I may be eating lunch, I may be cleaning the kitchen from lunch, I may be preparing for next day preschool curriculum, I may be folding the load of towels and washcloths used from daycare, I may be disinfecting toys, I may be washing the daycare bedding, I may be mopping my floor because your child dumped their lunch there, I may be planning meals, I may be doing my daycare paperwork, I may be working on activities, I may be tending to a child that chooses not to nap, I could go on and on. You obviously don't have a clue about what it means to be a daycare provider. Do you actually think we sit on our butts all. Get real.

Also, as a provider, if you are off of work each day at 12:30, of course a provider will not expect you to wait until after nap time to pick your child up. As a provider, all we are asking is that you the parent be considerate of our schedule and childrens schedules. Of coarse there are going to be times when a child will be picked up during nap time for whatever reason. Just be considerate and quiet. So glad you are not one of my dc parents.
Unregistered 06:10 AM 06-01-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
As a parent, you obviously have no idea what all a provider does thru day. I say that based on your "break time" comment. I start at 6:30 am. I finish at 5:15 pm. Some days I don't even get to eat lunch until 1:30 when I finally get all children down for nap. So, obviously you have no idea what a day as a daycare provider is like. Our jobs are nothing like yours probably is. We don't get a scheduled break, a scheduled lunch, we can't leave for an appointment and come back to our job 1 1 /2 hours later. We are on call for 10 plus hours each and every day. And just so you know..... during nap time....or break time as you think it is called.....I may be eating lunch, I may be cleaning the kitchen from lunch, I may be preparing for next day preschool curriculum, I may be folding the load of towels and washcloths used from daycare, I may be disinfecting toys, I may be washing the daycare bedding, I may be mopping my floor because your child dumped their lunch there, I may be planning meals, I may be doing my daycare paperwork, I may be working on activities, I may be tending to a child that chooses not to nap, I could go on and on. You obviously don't have a clue about what it means to be a daycare provider. Do you actually think we sit on our butts all. Get real.

Also, as a provider, if you are off of work each day at 12:30, of course a provider will not expect you to wait until after nap time to pick your child up. As a provider, all we are asking is that you the parent be considerate of our schedule and childrens schedules. Of coarse there are going to be times when a child will be picked up during nap time for whatever reason. Just be considerate and quiet. So glad you are not one of my dc parents.

In MY opinion, I see from your other posts on other threads that you obviously have something against the parents that you provide care for. You sound like a very frustrated and hostile person. I am not even going to take the time to respond to such trivial gibberish. However as for your little comment about me not being one of your daycare parents, I am just as glad you are not my child's provider. Have a nice day!
Unregistered 09:15 AM 06-01-2009
as a dc provider i think parents should be able to pickup their children whenever they want. i would definately appreciate a phone call and i would quietly wake up the child. all the parents that i have are very respectful and are always quiet when coming in at nap time. i do agree with the earlier post though about all the things that get done during nap time. sometimes i do sit down and watch tv but 95% of the time i dont have a chance with all the work that needs done.
Unregistered 01:24 AM 06-02-2009
I will not call myself a DC provider becuase I just get paid to help out. I come one day a week so she can go run errands and go to the bank. She wouldn't get to do this and would have to go to the bank through the ATM,because it will have closed by the time all the kids go home. She needs a break,and deserves it, even if it's only 1day a week. BUt anyway, back to the naptime thing. I am never rude when a parent pu or D'o the kid during nap. I know they would be affended if I objected in ANY way to this. I simply tip toe and talk veeery quite,with a smile on my face. And the parent whether its p'u or D'o , they always end up imitating me and whisper too. When I whisper they grab the kid and go. I have never had any "problem" and beleive me there is no "breaktime" I rarely get to eat when I am there. (I will eat after I leave,so I make sure to eat a big breakfast) And there is always at least one preschool age/toddler who won't take their nap,or maybe if all the big kids(3&4yrs old) are sleeping, there might be a infant or two that is awake and needs to be tended to.
mac60 02:32 AM 06-02-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In MY opinion, I see from your other posts on other threads that you obviously have something against the parents that you provide care for. You sound like a very frustrated and hostile person. I am not even going to take the time to respond to such trivial gibberish. However as for your little comment about me not being one of your daycare parents, I am just as glad you are not my child's provider. Have a nice day!
Wow, you don't know me from Adam, and you have no idea what you are talking about concerning me, as you DON"T KNOW ME. I have a GREAT relationship, did I say GREAT relationship with my parents. You probably thought all along we were all overpaid and sat on our butts until someone pointed out all the many many many things that we do throughout the day. And the list above, doesn't even cover 1/2 of them. I understand it is probably frustrating to learn that yes, your provider really does earn her money. We are so very much underpaid with our profession. Have a nice day!
Ms.Sue 03:23 PM 06-04-2009
.....in another post from a home provider how she does not allow pu's and do's during nap time.

Here is my thought on this "policy"
I have been the 'parent' taking my baby to daycare, I've been the 'home provider', and now I'm the 'center owner'.....so, I have had all perspectives.

As a 'parent' if my provider had a policy like this I would have to address it with her. I would want to be able to access my child WHENEVER I wanted during the day while my child is in her care. She is running a business and should operate as one.
Now, I can see from a 'daycare' position - she doesn't want the distruption of parents coming in and out because they tend to wake the children.... understood -- however, she should make the parents ENTER QUIETLY !!!
I would not trust a provider that would not let me enter.
Its' very bad for business relations. We have a magnetic sign that says "Shhhhhhhhh Nap Time - You wake 'em - You watch 'em !" It's a nice way to get the message across and get the parents to 'think' "oh, I've got to be quiet...."
mac60 05:44 PM 06-04-2009
Seriously, and I expecially speak for myself. I don't think any of us are saying that we would refuse to let a parent come and pick their child up during naptime, as I know, that sometimes there are appointments and situations where a child does need to be picked up at this time. What I am saying is, please don't make it a habit of it. I have never nor would I ever tell a parent no you can not pick up at 2 pm. But, I would hope out of respect for me and my daycare, that if you do come at that time, that you are quiet and slip in and slip out in 30 seconds without waking the children.

I think this whole thread got out of line with some people insinuating that because a provide has in her handbook "no pickups during nap time" that they are hiding something. It is a respect issue to me, and I don't have it in my handbook, but I will suggest to a parent they pick up before naptime if they need to pick up earlier.

On another note......when I worked outside the home, I could not have visitors just stop in my work to see me to do what ever, unless it was an emergency. People need to remember that we are a place of business too, that pays taxes, has expenses, and has rules just like any other business. While I do understand that no, we can not refuse to allow parents to pick up during nap time, we do ask that you have respect for me the provider, my busness, and the other children who are napping. That is it, plain and simple. RESPECT. A word that some people find very hard to apply life situations to.
sweetcinna 04:24 AM 06-05-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Seriously, and I expecially speak for myself. I don't think any of us are saying that we would refuse to let a parent come and pick their child up during naptime, as I know, that sometimes there are appointments and situations where a child does need to be picked up at this time. What I am saying is, please don't make it a habit of it. I have never nor would I ever tell a parent no you can not pick up at 2 pm. But, I would hope out of respect for me and my daycare, that if you do come at that time, that you are quiet and slip in and slip out in 30 seconds without waking the children.

I think this whole thread got out of line with some people insinuating that because a provide has in her handbook "no pickups during nap time" that they are hiding something. It is a respect issue to me, and I don't have it in my handbook, but I will suggest to a parent they pick up before naptime if they need to pick up earlier.

On another note......when I worked outside the home, I could not have visitors just stop in my work to see me to do what ever, unless it was an emergency. People need to remember that we are a place of business too, that pays taxes, has expenses, and has rules just like any other business. While I do understand that no, we can not refuse to allow parents to pick up during nap time, we do ask that you have respect for me the provider, my busness, and the other children who are napping. That is it, plain and simple. RESPECT. A word that some people find very hard to apply life situations to.
Very well said. I too have never "denied" a parent their child. It is about respect and lets just face it, there is too little of it in this business.
Unregistered 04:58 AM 06-05-2009
This could also be interpreted at no REGULAR pick-ups and drop-offs during nap time. I just had to spell it out for a new summertime client that just couldn't understand why I will not let her bring her 7 year old at 1:30 everyday. Sometimes it seems like parents are just pleased as punch that you run on a schedule, but not when it may infringe on their wants. I also had to put out a newsletter explaining that pick-ups during nap time can be very disruptive and that if parents need to pick up during that time to call ahead. I will not allow a client to have that as a regular pick up time, it would be a reason for then to find care somewhere else.
mac60 05:45 AM 06-07-2009
Exactly, a here and there situation, but not an everyday regular situation, too much disruption, no matter how "quiet" they try to be.
Unregistered 09:49 AM 06-17-2009
We have an open door policy required by the state of Kansas. If a parent wants to come get there kid early and it happens to be at naptime, you wont find me complaining. I have never had a parent who is too loud. I do appreciate a call so I can get their child ready. However, I DO NOT allow parents to drop off during naptime. I was surprised how few posts discussed this aspect, as this is where most of the disruption lies in my opinion. Kids need time to play, eat, and run so they are ready for naptime. Ususally when kids are dropped off right at naptime they want to play, not sleep, and end up keeping others awake who are excited to see them. Again I have not have any problems with parents complying with this. As a parent, I do agree with another post that said...it is my kid and I will pick them up whenever I see fit. So I do see both sides.
seashell 05:44 AM 06-18-2009
Parents should have access to their children at all times. However, I know that it can be disruptive if a parent wakes up all the children because they can be very cranky in the afternoon if they don't get enough rest. So the compromise should be that the parent waits quietly and the provider gets the child ready. Either that or the parent should call first if it is possible. However, telling a parent that they do not have access to their child during set times is just wrong.
Unregistered 10:39 AM 06-24-2009
I usually haven't had an issue with either dropping off or picking up at naptime. However, it's certainly trickier at those times. Usually, if I have a drop off at that time I let that child sit at the table and have a snack, color, or read while I tend to the others whom are getting ready to rest and such. Once the others are resting and the child has had time to adjust to daycare again and get aquainted with the transition of coming over to my daycare I let them know it's time to lay down and rest.

For pick-ups; I use a very quiet voice when addressing the parents and children. They are quick to catch on.

I like the idea of the sign "shhhhhh......" I may have to use that one just because it's so cute!
Tags:naptime visits
Reply Up