Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Indiana providers nap regulations
mamamanda 11:24 AM 03-16-2015
I am in the process of becoming licensed, but my second orientation class isn't scheduled until next month. I just enrolled some new kids & I need to make /buy sleep mats now, but I don't want to have to replace them again in a few months to meet regulations. Do anyone from Indiana know what the regulations are? Do kids have to be off of the floor like on a cot, or is a sleeping bag ok? I made my son a light sleeping bag with pillow attached. I was thinking about doing that for each of the kids with a 1 inch foam mattress sewed into the bottom of it. Would that meet the requirements? I called the licensing agency and the lady told me she wasn't sure & I would need to go through the class to find out. Thanks!
mamamanda 11:26 AM 03-16-2015
That would be for toddlers/preschoolers. I know babies are in a pack n play.
LysesKids 11:32 AM 03-16-2015
I found this... http://nrckids.org/default/assets/Fi...me%20Rules.pdf

■ 470 IAC 3-1.1-43 Sleep and rest
Authority: IC 12-13-5-3
Affected: IC 12-17.2
Sec. 43. (a) A separate bed, cot, mat, or sleeping bag shall be provided for each child. (b) A period for sleep, rest, or quiet time shall be provided during the day for children under five (5) years of age consistent with the needs of the child and in accordance with the wishes of the parent.

♦ Intent:
To ensure that children nap or rest during the day on appropriate equipment. Children younger than five years generally require a nap during the day. The napping equipment, a crib, mat, cot or sleeping bag, should be assigned to only one child or sanitized daily to prevent the spread of illness. It should also be large enough for the child‟s entire body to rest on. Napping schedules shall be
discussed regularly with parents. The caregiver and the parents shall agree on a napping schedule.

○ Assessment Method:
Observe the children‟s napping equipment for appropriateness and cleanliness. Interview the caregiver to determine napping and rest schedule, and how parents‟ wishes are accommodated. Regardless of the age of the child, a child‟s head or face shall never be covered by a blanket or any other covering.
mamamanda 12:32 PM 03-16-2015
Thank you!
Reply Up