Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Days Paid
WImom 08:32 AM 03-13-2013
Do you have sick/personal days that are paid?

I don't currently but was thinking of adding two per year to my handbook. I'm going to be having everyone sign a new handbook this summer. I haven't taken a sick day in 3 years but would have worked sick a few times. I probably would have taken off one of the times if it was paid. I figure it's their kids that are getting me sick since it's always been once they are all sick.
lovemykidstoo 08:55 AM 03-13-2013
I don't charge for my sick days. I've haven't had any in about 4 years!! I figure that if I close due to my sickness, then they would have to pay me and then pay someone else to watch their child. I dont' think it's fair that they have to pay double because I'm ill. Now if they're ill and don't come, I charge them.

Odds are that you might get sick because of their child, but really you can get germs from anwhere and what if you got Johnny's illness, but Susie's mom has to pay you?
NeedaVaca 09:43 AM 03-13-2013
I do have 3 sick/personal days paid per year but I have never used them. This year I was hoping to use one or two for scheduling Dr. appts/well visits because I can't find time to do it otherwise BUT then it will be my luck that I DO get sick and don't have days to use! I also get paid holidays/vacation. My families pay the same amount 52 weeks per year.
Play Care 10:11 AM 03-13-2013
I give myself 5 paid sick/personal days per year. Initally I did the whole "then they have to pay someone else and it's not fair, yadda yadda yadda" nonsense. What I was finding was that parents would send in their sick kids, I would then get sick and have to close without pay and then they would use their PAID sick time to stay home with their kid Win win for them
For vacations, I see it. A day here and there? None of my parents pay a sitter - they take a PAID day off and spend it with their kid, or work from home, etc. None of my parents bat an eyelash at a few paid days off.

And I would tell the parents the same thing I tell the kids - Life isn't fair
MarinaVanessa 12:04 PM 03-13-2013
I don't charge when I close due to vacation or illness but I do charge if my clients are absent because of vacation or illness. The only exception is that I have 11 paid holidays.
lovemykidstoo 12:19 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't charge when I close due to vacation or illness but I do charge if my clients are absent because of vacation or illness. The only exception is that I have 11 paid holidays.
That's me exactly.
melilley 03:39 PM 03-13-2013
I have 5 sick/personal/professional development days per year. Parents haven't had any problems with that yet.
msmegandc 09:56 AM 03-14-2013
I have been a provider for 12 years in CA. In my contract, I have stipulated that I am allotted 2 weeks PAID vacation, including PAID legal holidays. I have one set of parents that continually make snide comments about having to pay for my holidays/vacation/sick days. I have operated this way and feel it fair. I have always kept my prices low to offset these paid closures. What does everyone feel is fair? What do you proividers out there do? Do you give yourself paid days? Just curious as to what other providers do! Thanks!
Reply Up