Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How many days is your daycare closed?
permanentvacation 03:27 PM 10-12-2015
I was wondering how many days your daycare closes. Do you close for an entire week or more for Christmas, do you close for a week or more for vacation, how many 'one day' holidays do you close and how many sick days and personal days do you close for?

I do not take any week long vacation, unless I go to the hospital, I never close for days that I am sick. I call my substitute to work while I stay in my room while I'm sick. I never close for personal days. Well, I do have it in my contract for scheduled days off for my birthday and my 2 children's birthdays and I take a scheduled day off for National Child Care Provider's Day. Since they aren't holidays, I guess they would be considered personal days. But keep in mind that I never take a week's vacation and I've been doing daycare for 25 years! I call my substitute to work on days that I want personal time off work. However, I STILL have people complain about the scheduled holidays I take off!
Unregistered 03:43 PM 10-12-2015
I currently am closed on Fridays, 4 holidays, two weeks winter break, one week either spring or summer break, and six personal/sick days. All paid.

When I was open M-F, I took all the major federal and state holidays, plus two weeks winter and one week spring break, and six personal/sick days. All paid.

A few families that came to interview asked about my closures, some still signed on and some didn't which was fine because I didn't want to be questioned about my closures every time I had a closure. I just say I follow the regular school closures.
Thriftylady 04:15 PM 10-12-2015
My contract says I close on New Years eve, New Years Day, Mem. Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas eve, Christmas. But I don't always actually close those days. If hubby isn't home and care is needed I will do it IF someone is working (such as my nurse), because if hubby isn't home I am going to be lonely anyway and DD and I don't mind having the kids around. Of course I wouldn't "work" as hard on those days.

ETA: I have two weeks of unpaid vacation in my contract so I can go on the road with hubby for a week or so.
daycare 04:53 PM 10-12-2015
not enough....lol..

I close 5 days a year in addition to major Holidays.

thanksgiving-2 days
christmas 2-days
new years 1 day
4th of july 1 day
Labor day 1 day
Monday after Easter 1 -day

so total of 13 days each year

rest of the time I am open
Unregistered 05:47 PM 10-12-2015
Im never closed expect for 4 days in may .I go out of state for vaction and see family, buts thats it.I didnt get my vacation this year so I was a little sad so I been open all year.
sahm1225 08:02 PM 10-12-2015
I close 2 weeks unpaid, then I close 8 paid holidays. I also close ar 3pm on xmas eve and new years eve.

I plan on increasing one paid holiday a year until I'm at 10 and then Maybe I will add a paid sick day or somethinG.
spud912 08:49 PM 10-12-2015
You all make me feel bad . I have 10 paid holidays, 1 week paid vacation and 1 week unpaid vacation. I also have 2 paid personal days written into my contract that I never used. However, this year I ended up taking 10 paid holidays, 5 paid vacation days, 7 unpaid vacation days and 1 unpaid sick day. I felt bad, but they were all able to accommodate. That's the plus side to owning your own business is that you can take more or less as needed.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:37 PM 10-12-2015
My program is only open 4 days a week.

I take federal holidays (though if they fall on a Friday, like several this year, I don't take anything), paid.

I am closed 12 days per year for vacation (3 weeks), paid. Usually 1 week at Christmas, 1 week in May (my birthday), and 1 week between school years.

I also take 1 paid professional development day per year. (Technically. In reality, I usually forget to take it and do professional development in the evenings or weekends.)

I rarely close for sick days, but if I do, it's unpaid. Personal days the same.
childcaremom 12:29 AM 10-13-2015
I have 12 paid days per year (New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, etc).

I close at noon on New Years Eve and Christmas Eve Day.

Any holidays or personal days I take are unpaid. Any sick days I take are unpaid. I have written that I will take a minimum of 2 weeks vacation time per year. That leaves me wiggle room for extra time off if I need a mental vacation. I don't limit my personal days b/c while my dh can usually take our children to their appts, sometimes he can't so I will take them. Also, I have my own health to look after.

I used to feel bad about taking time off. Now I don't.
LysesKids 03:33 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I was wondering how many days your daycare closes. Do you close for an entire week or more for Christmas, do you close for a week or more for vacation, how many 'one day' holidays do you close and how many sick days and personal days do you close for?

I do not take any week long vacation, unless I go to the hospital, I never close for days that I am sick. I call my substitute to work while I stay in my room while I'm sick. I never close for personal days. Well, I do have it in my contract for scheduled days off for my birthday and my 2 children's birthdays and I take a scheduled day off for National Child Care Provider's Day. Since they aren't holidays, I guess they would be considered personal days. But keep in mind that I never take a week's vacation and I've been doing daycare for 25 years! I call my substitute to work on days that I want personal time off work. However, I STILL have people complain about the scheduled holidays I take off!
I work M-F. I take a total of 20 days off. (my monthly fees are figured on 48 weeks a year).. 6 of those days are Federal Holidays; I DO take week long vacations so I don't burn out, but then I also don't have a sub. I plan the vacations about 6 months apart. I try not to close for illness unless I'm "dying"... if something made me close for an entire week, I would switch out some of my vacation days
Unregistered 04:35 AM 10-13-2015
I am closed all of Christmas December 22 until January 4. A holiday once a month expect June year round. A week and 1/2 in the summer and 2 Fridays one in July and one in September. Oh and two extra days in march.
DaveA 04:54 AM 10-13-2015
8 holidays- 2 days each for Thanksgiving and Christmas then New Years, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.

I also close my Birthday and Anniversary. Those and holidays are paid days off.

I take a week off in summer. In the winter I either do a week or a pair of 4 day weekends, depending on what schedule is. Those weeks are unpaid.

I tell people not to feel "bad" about closings. You need those days for yourself and your families.
Second Home 05:40 AM 10-13-2015
I have 6 paid holidays per year , whatever my husband has I take off . I also take up to 3 weeks a year for unpaid days off . ! week for summer vacation and 1 week during Christmas break & 2 days for Thanksgiving . The other few days are spread through the year for appointments where I can't take the kids .
Snowmom 08:54 AM 10-13-2015

Personally, I don't understand why you wouldn't take a vacation. Whether it's one week, two weeks, or a whole month, I think we need & deserve vacation time.
I don't understand the concept some parents have when they brag about their in-home provider never taking time off. We're human and need time to ourselves too. It's imperative to our health to have a break from our jobs.

I take two weeks vacation a year, I have 10 paid holidays and will take random personal days throughout the year. My personal days and vacations days are unpaid, which is pretty generous on my part. I won't take any grief for taking time off anymore (yes, I have in the past and let it slide...which I will never do again, because it just leads to resentment and a sour working relationship).
Unregistered 09:03 AM 10-13-2015
After my first year open, I was starting to get resentful of not having enough time off, and days I wish I had spent with my family. I do have 24/7 availability (but really only open 3 days a week)...so this is what I put in my handbook...and no complaints from the parents

"I will be closed for spring break as my son will be in school, and this will be our family vacation time. I will also be closed every February 19 as it is my husband’s birthday and our anniversary. I will also be closed for a weekend day around my children’s birthdays of April 23 and June 15, and my birthday of June 25.
I will be closed for the following holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year's Day, Good Friday and Monday after Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Wednesday and Friday around Thanksgiving, and the week of Christmas. I may also be closed for school holidays throughout the year following the school system, on a case by case basis.
Although very rewarding, childcare is also a very high-stress occupation. In order for me to be the best provider possible, I will need time to relax with my family, accomplish household or child care projects, or attend training seminars/conferences.
Each year, I may take up to 2 weeks’ vacation time. I will give no less than 3 week's advance notice of all vacation dates. "

I love this section of my handbook, and it has really helped relieve a lot of my burn out issues. I also follow the school's closings for weather. If they have a late start, I just open an hour later than my normal time (8 a.m.), and if parents aren't able to get here then, they have to text me so I'm not waiting on them.
Conoad 10:44 AM 10-13-2015
I close the week of Christmas because I have never had a family need me that week. I close the week of spring break to enjoy my own children. I close probably 5 days during the year (my birthday, a few school holidays, advance appointments) and a few half days for my kids' school activities - Christmas program and Halloween parade. Last year I closed the month of July because I was so burnt out and my kids needed the break as well. I decided I would continue closing in July. All my new interviews I tell them this in advance. I thought it would be hard to take on new families doing this but it hasn't seen to matter. Knowing in advance all have said they can accommodate it. It was so wonderful to have that break and enjoy my own family.
permanentvacation 11:26 AM 10-13-2015
I can't afford to take a vacation! A few years ago, I did take a Friday and Monday off to take my daughter to the ocean for her to participate in sand soccer games. So technically that was a vacation for me. But it was really just me having to be the adult in the group so the kids could go to the ocean. However, I can't take the heat and if I were going to take what I would consider a vacation, it would be during the cooler months. Taking my daughter to the sand soccer games all but killed me. It was in the middle of the summer and I damn near died from heat stroke!

And actually, my ex-husband paid for me to take my daughter to the ocean. I certainly wasn't able to pay for it myself.
Annalee 11:30 AM 10-13-2015
I can't afford to take a vacation! A few years ago, I did take a Friday and Monday off to take my daughter to the ocean for her to participate in sand soccer games. So technically that was a vacation for me. But it was really just me having to be the adult in the group so the kids could go to the ocean. However, I can't take the heat and if I were going to take what I would consider a vacation, it would be during the cooler months. Taking my daughter to the sand soccer games all but killed me. It was in the middle of the summer and I damn near died from heat stroke!

And actually, my ex-husband paid for me to take my daughter to the ocean. I certainly wasn't able to pay for it myself.
You don't have to go somewhere to be on vacation. Some of my best vacations are simply being home with my family and "not working daycare".
Unregistered 11:35 AM 10-13-2015
I LOVE the idea of taking off the entire month of July! I will be closing down my daycare in the spring to move to another state, otherwise I would do the same thing! Most of the kids are gone that month anyway...
Reply Up