Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Young Toddler Help!
Luke25 11:31 AM 06-16-2016
Hi! I'm new to the forum and would love some advice! I am currently caring for 5 boys 2 and under (one is my 20 month old) I have three that are between 16-20 months. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with them. I feel like there aren't many "crafts" we can do because they eat everything still and they really won't sit for a story. They do enjoy music and we do that a lot. They are extremely wild and 2 are biters. I guess I'm just looking to see what kinds of things you do with this age group and how you structure your day. Also maybe just to hear it will get better! Haha
AmyKidsCo 11:39 AM 06-16-2016
I do mostly free play with children that age. For art I'd set out materials and let them go at it, rather than have an actual "project" for them to do. My 3 yr olds don't sit still for story - I just keep reading and let them come and go as they please.
Luke25 11:58 AM 06-16-2016
Thank you! We free play all day and they just get so wild. They are tackling each other and throwing things. I think I may have a particularly hard group of boys. My mom does child care and I always helped her and never had any problems with them. I normally do just sit and read and let them come and go. They are just so demanding of me. They all fight to sit on my lap and cry and try to hit the book out of my hand. This doesn't always happen but enough to be exhausting.
adnilwis 12:02 PM 06-16-2016
I did a lot of handprint and footprint crafts at that age. Also boys in general are harder than boys. They are more hyper and always seem to want to wrestle. You're lucky they all fight to sit on your lap, the only ones I have that want to are my own children and the others I've had since they were 8 weeks old. Want nothing to do with me at all.
Sunchimes 12:06 PM 06-16-2016

First, can I offer you hugs and pure admiration for your strength? Five boys under 2. I'm exhausted just writing that.

I have 1 just under 2 and 1 just over 2. You pretty much described my day. The difference is that mine love "projects". I just say the word and they are rushing for their art shirts and aprons. They aren't much fun for me, while mine no longer eat things, those busy little hands are everywhere. Woe unto me if I don't have everything completely ready. Let me forget one paint brush or something, and it's complete chaos.

I read to the air most of the time. Going outside is our saving grace. We've had a lot of rain, and the mosquitos are terrible. One child is very sensitive to them (whelps!) and we are using so much spray that it worries me, but he is still getting bites. I don't know what mom is going to say tonight. We can't stay inside, we just can't.

But, if possible, get them outside. Play follow the leader, run, march, jump, anything to work that energy out.

My hat is off to you!
racemom 12:19 PM 06-16-2016
I feel for you, that is a hard age/gender group you have. When I had younger toddlers I have finger painted with pudding, or whipped cream colored with food coloring. If you can go outside, "paint" the sidewalk, fence, house with brushes and water. Do action rhymes or games, ring around the rosey, but instead of falling down each time change it up (raise hand, touch toes, stomp feet, etc). Build a tower out of blocks or boxes and let them take turns knocking it down. Make them helpers, each day one gets to be cup leader, someone else wipes the table, sweeps the floor (I have a hand held broom for that), make up something so everyone has a job to do. Make simple rules, and post pictures of them, walking feet inside, no tackling friends, use nice hands etc. Go over them every morning. Hope some of this helps with your group!
childcaremom 12:27 PM 06-16-2016
My group is all under 2. We do an early snack (usually between 8/8:30). Then we do our 'art'. I set out the materials and let them explore. I do a lot of painting because they love it. We also do a lot of sensory stuff. Then we go outside until lunch (or close to it). Lunch. Stories at the table. Nap. Up for snack. Then back outside.

We do a lot of singing, dancing, reading, etc. A lot of talking when we are at the table for snacks, etc. I also read throughout the day and they will bring me books, too.

I don't allow any hands on friends. Ever. "No hands". I know it's hard when it's a group of them but I just keep repeating it. If I know that some of them are handsy, I make sure that I am close by them so I can catch them right away.

In the fall, my group will be a bit older so I will start having a tiny bit more structure with a (very) short circle time in the morning. I do a lot of action stuff with them and there is very little sitting still.

Good luck!
Luke25 01:00 PM 06-16-2016
Thank you so much for all of your replies!! Those are some great ideas.
I'm so happy to have found this page. I was a kindergarten teacher for 3 years and I am used to having lots of adults to collaborate with and get ideas from and vent to. That's probably been the biggest adjustment for me. I am very thankful to get to stay home with my son, so it's all worth it!
Luke25 01:12 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

First, can I offer you hugs and pure admiration for your strength? Five boys under 2. I'm exhausted just writing that.

I have 1 just under 2 and 1 just over 2. You pretty much described my day. The difference is that mine love "projects". I just say the word and they are rushing for their art shirts and aprons. They aren't much fun for me, while mine no longer eat things, those busy little hands are everywhere. Woe unto me if I don't have everything completely ready. Let me forget one paint brush or something, and it's complete chaos.

I read to the air most of the time. Going outside is our saving grace. We've had a lot of rain, and the mosquitos are terrible. One child is very sensitive to them (whelps!) and we are using so much spray that it worries me, but he is still getting bites. I don't know what mom is going to say tonight. We can't stay inside, we just can't.

But, if possible, get them outside. Play follow the leader, run, march, jump, anything to work that energy out.

My hat is off to you!
Thanks for the hugs!! It's definitely a challenge! Yes going outside is and absolute necessity!! I actually have a mosquito spray company come out and spray my yard. It's makes all the difference! My problem right now is the crazy heat!! After about 10 it's just about too hot to be outside. We do water play a lot but sometimes it's hard to deal with the mess of everyone all wet. Lol
Thanks again for the tips!
Thriftylady 01:13 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Caseycampbell:
Thank you so much for all of your replies!! Those are some great ideas.
I'm so happy to have found this page. I was a kindergarten teacher for 3 years and I am used to having lots of adults to collaborate with and get ideas from and vent to. That's probably been the biggest adjustment for me. I am very thankful to get to stay home with my son, so it's all worth it!
LOL I was just wishing today I had more contact with a teacher to help me with my SA kiddos!

I agree with "no hands" I would also find a way to say "no mouths". A lot of what you are describing is normal for the age, yet we still have to teach them it is not acceptable. That is our job often at that age, to teach them empathy and how to be a friend.
Luke25 01:39 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

My hat is off to you!
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
LOL I was just wishing today I had more contact with a teacher to help me with my SA kiddos!

I agree with "no hands" I would also find a way to say "no mouths". A lot of what you are describing is normal for the age, yet we still have to teach them it is not acceptable. That is our job often at that age, to teach them empathy and how to be a friend.
Yes for sure. I am going to try and be more diliberate with the words I use.
Id be happy to help with ideas for SA!
Reply Up