Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Pay for Daycare - What Do you Charge?
momma2girls 01:07 PM 12-09-2009
I thought it would be kind of interesting, if we as daycare providers- place on here what we charge a week, for one child, and siblings. Also include where you live. I think it will be interesting for everyone, just to look at!!!
Happy Holidays!!
By the way I charge $130.00 for one child and I give a $10.00 a week disc. on 2 children. Instead of $260.00 for 2/wk, I charge $250.00.
THanks everyone!!!
melissa ann 02:38 PM 12-09-2009
I"m in Pa and charge $18/day with a 3 day min rate. I do not give discounts.
Missy
Unregistered 04:39 PM 12-09-2009
I charge $200 for infants, $150 above age 2 and $5 per hour for after school care.
momma2girls 04:43 PM 12-09-2009
Do you give siblings discounts at all?
momma2girls 04:58 PM 12-09-2009
TO Melissa ann-
How many hrs. are you watching children for $18.00 a day??
Unregistered 05:30 PM 12-09-2009
I live in Southern Illinois.
I charge $25 for full day with a 3 day a week min.
$15 for half day, but has to be full week.
So basically a $75 a week min.
I charge more than the state pays, so parents pay me the extra on top of the co-payment if they use state assistance. It's bad enough I have to wait until after the fact to get paid by the state, I'm not going to give a discount.
$8 a day for after school, that's going up to $9 in the new year.
Unregistered 06:23 PM 12-09-2009
Whoops! Yes, I do $25 discounts for additional siblings.
GretasLittleFriends 07:02 PM 12-09-2009
I'm in central/northern MN, and charge hourly. $2.50/infant and toddlers, $2.25 for preschoolers (that are potty trained), $2/school aged children. Our kindergartners are whole day m-f, so they get the school aged rate. I do NOT offer discounts.
momofboys 08:04 PM 12-09-2009
I am in Ohio & I provide daycare but only for one family. I charge $20 day per child. I don't offer discounts. However, for the area I live in this is pretty much the normal rate for all day care. The daycare center in my town charges slightly more than I do. I do charge the school-age child I watch a cheaper rate as he is only here about 2 hrs a day.
tymaboy 05:11 AM 12-10-2009
I'm in IA. I just raised my rates for the new year. I give the parents their choice of daily or hourly. Hourly is $2.50. Daily (if stays same each week) is 22.50 for their contracted time (up to 10 hrs, if they are contracted more then 10 hours or here past there contracted time then they pay the hourly rate) My varying daily rate (days change each week) is $23.40. Half day rate is $12.00 (up to 5 hours) I dont do any discounts. I do not charge if they are not here (unless they are a no show without calling) I also do not charge when I take off. They get a free week of Vacation & pay 1/2 rate for 2nd week of Vacation. I also have 10 Holidays paid.
momofboys 05:38 AM 12-10-2009
I also wonder about some of your before & after rates? I only care for one family's children which includes a school-age boy, a preschool girl & a toddler. When I initially wrote up the paperwork for the mom to sign (3 months ago) I had no idea what to charge for before and after school care. The mom led me to believe that her husband would be driving the school age child to school most days so I would only have him after school for about 1.5 hrs. Well, flash forward to when I started watching them she has always brought him with the other children in the morning & husband has NEVER driven the school age boy. Hmmmmmm, being so new at childcare I never said a word; however, now I am feeling quite taken advantage of b/c I agred to a cheaper rate under a falsehood, thinking I'd only have him for 1.5 hrs instead of almost 3. I know there is nothing I can do about it now but I do plan to raise his rate next school year. These are a teacher's kids so I won't have them in the summer. I am embarassed to admit I only charge $3 a day for him but I thought he'd only be here 1.5 hrs instead of 3 Come next year I think I will tell her his rate will raise to $25 for the week. DO you think that's fair?
kiddiecare 05:43 AM 12-10-2009
I live in Eastern Oregon. Here are my rates:
FEES-
FULL TIME: $125.00 per child per week
FULL TIME IN DIAPERS: $135.00 per child per week
PART TIME: $62.50 per child per week
PART TIME IN DIAPERS: $72.50
DROP IN CARE: $30.00 per child for up to 8 hours
Hourly Rate: $5.00per child
Late pick-Up/Early Drop Off fee: $1.00 per child per minute.

Full Time: Full time care is 21-50 hours per week, any care given over 50 hours without prior arrangements will be charged the late fee of $1.00 per minute per child. Any extra care given with prior arrangements will be charged the fee rate of $5.00 an hour or any portion thereof unless otherwise specified.

Part Time: Part time care is 1-20 hours a week, any care given over that will be charged the late fee as you saw above or the hourly fee with prior arrangements. If care is continuously being given over the part time hours you will be charged the full time rate.

I get 5 paid free days a year and 5 paid holidays and two weeks vacation at half their normal rate (if im not providing a sub). Parents also get the two weeks 1/2 rate for vacation IF they give proper written notice.
kiddiecare 06:05 AM 12-10-2009
Janarae, I also had a client pull that with me and I gave out a letter stating that I had agreed to the current rate with the understanding that the child would only be here before school. I usually charge clients my part time fee regardless of what hours they are here if it falls between 1-20 hours a week, but because this kid would only be here in the am and not in the pm or n non school days I only charged $15 a week, however she started coming (at first it was only suppose to be that week,uh-huh)after school. When it became all the time I started charging $30 a week, still not alot but her schedule doesn't interfer with other kids being enrolled. Write them up a letter now stating that as of jan 1st they will be paying your normal part time fee or whatever you want, but I would say something, I also make parents give me in writing if they need to change their schedule and they have to ask not just assume that I will be available or will want to change the original contract.
momma2girls 06:21 AM 12-10-2009
What I charge for before and after school is $50.00 / week per child. I know the going rate in Iowa is $25-$75.00/week. Alot of daycares, don't want to even mess with before and after school children.
jen 06:23 AM 12-10-2009
Question for those who charge hourly...Why? It seems like it would be easier simply to charge by the day or the week...income would be more stable, less hassle to keep track of...
momma2girls 06:37 AM 12-10-2009
I fully agree, plus my payday is on Monday, the start of the week, so there is no way, one doing this could add up hrs. that way. I think it is much easier on the provider and the families, they both know each week, what you are receiving and what they have to pay!!
tymaboy 07:30 AM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by janarae:
I also wonder about some of your before & after rates? I only care for one family's children which includes a school-age boy, a preschool girl & a toddler. When I initially wrote up the paperwork for the mom to sign (3 months ago) I had no idea what to charge for before and after school care. The mom led me to believe that her husband would be driving the school age child to school most days so I would only have him after school for about 1.5 hrs. Well, flash forward to when I started watching them she has always brought him with the other children in the morning & husband has NEVER driven the school age boy. Hmmmmmm, being so new at childcare I never said a word; however, now I am feeling quite taken advantage of b/c I agred to a cheaper rate under a falsehood, thinking I'd only have him for 1.5 hrs instead of almost 3. I know there is nothing I can do about it now but I do plan to raise his rate next school year. These are a teacher's kids so I won't have them in the summer. I am embarassed to admit I only charge $3 a day for him but I thought he'd only be here 1.5 hrs instead of 3 Come next year I think I will tell her his rate will raise to $25 for the week. DO you think that's fair?
Why don't you do a new contract at the beginning of 2010 instead of waiting till the next school year? If they say something about it then be honest & say you thought care for the child would only be 1.5 hrs a day.

Originally Posted by :
Question for those who charge hourly...Why? It seems like it would be easier simply to charge by the day or the week...income would be more stable, less hassle to keep track of...
I find that a lot of parents like the hourly rate better then a daily/weekly rate. Most of the parent I have now is cuz I do hourly. I have to keep track of the times I have their kids no matter if they are hourly or daly rate anyway so for me it is no extra work.
jen 07:47 AM 12-10-2009
Just curious...why do you have to keep track? I don't keep track of the hours my kids are in attendance so I'm just wondering...

Yes, I believe that they do like it better because then they can pay less!
momma2girls 07:54 AM 12-10-2009
I totally agree with Jen!! If they are only at your home for 2-7 hrs. at only $2.00-$2.50 an hr. that is like onlly $4.00-$15.00 a day!!!
I charge about $26.00 a day for one child and if it is 5 hrs. or under I charge $20.00 a day!!
I don't have to keep track of any hrs. they charge the same amt. whatever is their contracted price, whether they are here or not!
Childminder 08:17 AM 12-10-2009
I'm in MI and charge $160 week with a $32 discount on the second child. I also do part time at $16 for less than 4 hours per day if any openings. My hourly rate is $3.75 and applies to state subsidy children. I'm open Mon-Sat and open 6am til 11:30p with overnites by request. I have not had a pay increase in 5 years but will at next contract in October.
mac60 08:25 AM 12-10-2009
Small town in NW Ohio

5 days 1 child $80 to $85
5 days 2 children $135
4 days 1 child $70
4 days 2 children $120
3 days 1 child $55
3 days 2 children $90

3 day minimum.

School age b/a school $35 Add $10 per day if no school

Our rates suck here. People expect sibling discounts, and it kills me. I supply everything at this rate and the rates definately don't relect the amount my expenses have went up in the past 2 years.

Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better. I do charge whether they are here or not, including sick days, holidays, vacations. But my vacation is no charge.
jen 08:40 AM 12-10-2009
Schoolagers: $75 per week school year, $140 summer
Children up to 1st grade: $140

I have one family of three, I charge them $350/week (Kindergarden, 3 years and 6months)

One family of two, $250/week (kindergarden, 2 yo)

They are "grandfathered" in on the multi-child discount. I don't plan on offering a discount in the future.

I do charge for holidays, but not for vacation.
momma2girls 08:41 AM 12-10-2009
Yes, you should, everything has gone up so high lately!!! If you actually sit down and figure up what goes out in expenses every month, and what you are buying for daycare(everything) I know you cannot be making much if anything at all!!!! That is sad!!!!
jen 08:42 AM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better.
Yes! Yes you do!!!
momma2girls 08:51 AM 12-10-2009
Maybe you can get a new price sheet figured out starting Jan 2010 fast!!! This is what i do, although I have not gone up on my rates in over 4 yrs.
tymaboy 09:31 AM 12-10-2009
I have to keep track of the hours cuz it is one of the requirements for the food program I am on.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 12-10-2009
I charge $125 per week.I only take children 2-5 yrs. I only offer Full time up to 10.5 hours per day. Parents pay for all holidays and whether their child is there or not. I have two 1 week vacations per year that they do not have to pay for. They have one week vacation free of charge if they choose to take it. I am about to add 5 days paid sick/personal leave into my contract for the new year. I live in Wichita, KS. I will note that most home providers in my area charge closer to $100 per week. I feel my education, experience, curriculum, and learning environment warrent a higher price tag.
seashell 02:15 PM 12-10-2009
Im in CT

My rate is $32 per day which is $165 per week. I am on the low side for my town. The highest home care here charges $40 per day.

Centers here for an infant run around $250 per week.
melissa ann 03:13 PM 12-10-2009
Most days the kids are here from 6am-5pm. I have 3 from basically one family. 2 are 1/2 siblings the other is a cousin. The cousin is always here about 10 1/2-11 hours. Sometimes the other 2 are here from about 1:30-5, if the mother works the "dinner" shift at the restaurant where she works. When I had a half day rate the cousin would come in the afternoon but when I switched to a daily rate, he comes all day. Grandfather doesn't like paying when he's not here. I do not charge for holidays although I would like to. I know they would not accept that, plus they would both have to find other care because the grandfather works in retail and his daughter works in the restuarant business and work holidays.
kitkat 05:23 PM 12-10-2009
Great question, Iowa Daycare!

I'm in WI and my rates are:

$3.50/hr for 0-12 months
$3.00/hr for 1 yr to potty trained
$2.50/hr after potty trained

I do not offer a sibling discount. I don't have before/after school kids, so I don't have any rates for that. It's nice to see the other before/after rates so I can have an idea in case I would end up having to provide that type of care.
Former Teacher 06:28 PM 12-10-2009
I am in TX. My former center were as follows:

0-3 years $125 per week (515 per month)

3 years and up $115 per week (500 per month)

Afterschoolers (PM only-did not have an AM run) $90 per week ( no month rate)

When the AS kids were here for vacations etc...they would be charged the 3 years and up rate.

We did offer a discount rate of $5.00 per child additional child. However the children must be siblings, not from the same family (ie cousins, etc)

It didn't matter if the child was potty trained or not, once they child turned 3, the rate would drop.

We also had a late fee of $5 dollars for the first 5 mins. (so if the parent was 3 mins late it was 5 dollars) and then $1 each additional min., per child. Since I opened I would have been willing to offer an early drop off fee but then I decided against it because I didn't want to start something like that. Also, we were only licensed for care from 630-630 and that is what I would tell parents when they asked.
momofboys 07:51 PM 12-10-2009
Small town in NW Ohio

5 days 1 child $80 to $85
5 days 2 children $135
4 days 1 child $70
4 days 2 children $120
3 days 1 child $55
3 days 2 children $90

3 day minimum.

School age b/a school $35 Add $10 per day if no school

Our rates suck here. People expect sibling discounts, and it kills me. I supply everything at this rate and the rates definately don't relect the amount my expenses have went up in the past 2 years.

Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better. I do charge whether they are here or not, including sick days, holidays, vacations. But my vacation is no charge.
Hey! I grew up in that part of the state (Wauseon area). . . not sure where you are at. but yes, it's too bad your rates can't higher. I am in west-central Ohio now & my rates are only slightly higher except for the b & a school care.
momofboys 07:54 PM 12-10-2009
Thanks for those who replied about my B & A school care situation. I will definitely talk to the mom about it as I should have previously. I guess part of me is hesitant b/c she really does do a lot of nice things for us. She buys craft supplies/has given me diapers for my own child on top of the ones she brings for her child, is providing treasures for our treasure hunts, etc. But still this has been bugging me & so I think I will bring it up & see what she says.
mac60 02:46 AM 12-11-2009
Hey! I grew up in that part of the state (Wauseon area). . . not sure where you are at. but yes, it's too bad your rates can't higher. I am in west-central Ohio now & my rates are only slightly higher except for the b & a school care.
Wauseon is about 35 minutes from me. Small world.
momma2girls 04:26 AM 12-11-2009
Mac 60-
COuld you go up on your rates for the New Year?
Maybe to $100.00/wk. for fulltime. That is only (I think)$10 or $15.00 more a week, than what you have now.
I really don't know how you do it for $85.00/wk.
I know my sis babysits in a very small town in Iowa, even her rates are $2.75 an hr. before I quit to SAH, we were paying her $27.50+ a day to have her watch our daughter. We both had 1 hr. each way commutes everyday.
Unregistered 06:35 AM 12-11-2009
I live in a small town in NY. I charge

$130 per wk (37+ hours) xtra $15 for under 2
$30 per day (6+ hours)
$20 per half day (3-6 hrs)
$15 Per part day (-3 hours)

School Age $85 per wk year around (average including summer)
Unregistered 10:00 AM 12-14-2009
I am no longer a daycare provider, but I did it for 8 years.

Regarding the hourly charge, I agree that it doesn't make sense. What your clients are paying for is to secure their child's spot at daycare. Daycare provders are only liscensed for a certain amount of children, and you charge a weekly/monthly rate b/c you can not.at the drop of a hat. find someone else to fill the time slot that is left open when a child only needs care for a couple of hours one day and 10 hours the next day. Am I making any sense?

BTW, I stopped doing daycare in August of 2003. I lived in Howard County Maryland and my rates were:
$200 per week for infants up to 2 years.
$175 until potty trained
$150 until Kindergarten aged
$130 for kindergarteners (they are only gone 2.5 hours a day and you still have to feed them all the meals/snacks.
$90 for before and after school.
$125 for school-agers during summer/vacation or
$30 per day for drop in for vacation days.

This was a while ago, and at the time, I knew a few providers in my area who were charging more. And I was thinking about charging all of my full-time kids $200 per week, b/c infants may be more work in some ways, but the other kids are more work as far as cirriculum/routine planning and cost more for supplies, food, etc...

I really miss doing daycare and have been thinking a lot lately about doing it again. But I live in an apartment now, and can not run a business out of here. My baby is now 10yo, and I REALLY miss having babies and young ones around.

Good luck everyone!
Abigail 03:00 AM 07-26-2010
I think $3 a day for before/after school care is something a teenager should expect, not a professional! A few years ago, I was paid $10/day to drive a six-year-old to and from half-day kindergarten. I drove only a mile out of my way each day and felt it was well worth it. Worked out well for me for the extra income and well for the family since a stranger wasn't taking their child to school!
nannyde 05:39 AM 07-26-2010
NEVER allow a parent to base your rates on "it might be so and so hours now and then". It almost ALWAYS translates into the latest possible and most possible hours. Always build your fees around the worse case scenario.

You DO have the power to change it if you have made a mistake. You should have told the mom that your rates were based on 1.5 hours per day and they are using 3.

Part time school aged care (before and after) is the most expensive hourly rate care in my area. My school district gets 6.00 per hour for school aged kids during the school year. Low hour part time care should always be the most expensive. Whatever your hourly rate is for the other kids during the day should be doubled to accomodate before and after school.
nannyde 05:40 AM 07-26-2010
Our rates are calculated differently than most child care homes and Centers. The rates are based upon the total number of hours per day and the departure time. The published rates are based on a maximum of a nine hour day. If you need more than nine hours per please add $5.00/hour to our base rates.

We have a different rate structure for part time. Part time is a minimum of three full working days per week. We do not provide drop in care. We do not offer half day rates.

Full Time Rates (2010) based upon a maximum of nine hours a day and time your child departs from day care:

3:00 p.m. departure $135.00 per week

3:15 p.m. departure $140.00 per week

3:30 p.m. departure $145.00 per week

3:45 p.m. departure $150.00 per week

4:00 p.m. departure $155.00 per week

4:15 p.m. departure $160.00 per week

4:30 p.m. departure $165.00 per week

4:45 p.m. departure $170.00 per week

5:00 p.m. departure $175.00 per week

5:15 p.m. departure $180.00 per week

5:30 p.m. departure $185.00 per week

5:45 p.m. departure $190.00 per week

6:00 p.m. departure $195.00 per week

Part Time Rates

3:00 p.m. departure $33.00 per day

3:15 p.m. departure $34.00 per day

3:30 p.m. departure $35.00 per day

3:45 p.m. departure $36.00 per day

4:00 p.m. departure $37.00 per day

4:15 p.m. departure $38.00 per day

4:30 p.m. departure $39.00 per day

4:45 p.m. departure $40.00 per day

5:00 p.m. departure $41.00 per day

5:15 p.m. departure $42.00 per day

5:30 p.m. departure $43.00 per day

5:45 p.m. departure $44.00 per day

Additional hours beyond nine hours per day billed at $5.00 per hour.

Overtime must be pre-arranged and approved.

We do not raise rates on current attending children at any time unless the child's schedule changes to a higher number of hours per day or a later departure.

Discounts: We do not currently offer discounts for sibling groups.

State Funded Clients: We do not accept State Funding at this time.

Absences

The parent must pay for ANY day their child misses child care for any reason. If your child is absent any day of the week you are still responsible to drop them off and pick them up at the contracted times each attending day thereafter. We do not make up any time for missed days. Absences on one day do not allow you to use more day care hours on any other day. Part time children can not attend the day care on an unscheduled day to make up for a missed scheduled day.
judytrickett 06:24 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
NEVER allow a parent to base your rates on "it might be so and so hours now and then". It almost ALWAYS translates into the latest possible and most possible hours. Always build your fees around the worse case scenario.

.................... Low hour part time care should always be the most expensive. Whatever your hourly rate is for the other kids during the day should be doubled to accomodate before and after school.
Well, you KNOW I agree!

I also wanted to add that there should NEVER be a sibling discount. Two kids cost you the same to provide care whether related or not.

And, in fact, siblings are a higher risk category in daycare than two unrelated kids. Because if they decide to leave a bigger chunk of your income is a stake until you can fill their spots.
JenNJ 07:08 AM 07-26-2010
$150 ft care all age
$35 a day part time care
$6 hour drop in with a minimum of 3 hours
$10 drop in for 2 children with a minimum of 3 hours

I do discount siblings on a case by case basis.
professionalmom 08:20 AM 07-26-2010
Our rates are calculated differently than most child care homes and Centers. The rates are based upon the total number of hours per day and the departure time. The published rates are based on a maximum of a nine hour day. If you need more than nine hours per please add $5.00/hour to our base rates.

We have a different rate structure for part time. Part time is a minimum of three full working days per week. We do not provide drop in care. We do not offer half day rates.

Full Time Rates (2010) based upon a maximum of nine hours a day and time your child departs from day care:

3:00 p.m. departure $135.00 per week

3:15 p.m. departure $140.00 per week

3:30 p.m. departure $145.00 per week

3:45 p.m. departure $150.00 per week

4:00 p.m. departure $155.00 per week

4:15 p.m. departure $160.00 per week

4:30 p.m. departure $165.00 per week

4:45 p.m. departure $170.00 per week

5:00 p.m. departure $175.00 per week

5:15 p.m. departure $180.00 per week

5:30 p.m. departure $185.00 per week

5:45 p.m. departure $190.00 per week

6:00 p.m. departure $195.00 per week

Part Time Rates

3:00 p.m. departure $33.00 per day

3:15 p.m. departure $34.00 per day

3:30 p.m. departure $35.00 per day

3:45 p.m. departure $36.00 per day

4:00 p.m. departure $37.00 per day

4:15 p.m. departure $38.00 per day

4:30 p.m. departure $39.00 per day

4:45 p.m. departure $40.00 per day

5:00 p.m. departure $41.00 per day

5:15 p.m. departure $42.00 per day

5:30 p.m. departure $43.00 per day

5:45 p.m. departure $44.00 per day

Additional hours beyond nine hours per day billed at $5.00 per hour.

Overtime must be pre-arranged and approved.

We do not raise rates on current attending children at any time unless the child's schedule changes to a higher number of hours per day or a later departure.

Discounts: We do not currently offer discounts for sibling groups.

State Funded Clients: We do not accept State Funding at this time.

Absences

The parent must pay for ANY day their child misses child care for any reason. If your child is absent any day of the week you are still responsible to drop them off and pick them up at the contracted times each attending day thereafter. We do not make up any time for missed days. Absences on one day do not allow you to use more day care hours on any other day. Part time children can not attend the day care on an unscheduled day to make up for a missed scheduled day.
I am about to cry over the bolded parts! That would be my ideal situation. However, where I live, it just was not possible, especially taking the state funded clients, which always gave me problems. I am JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!
nannyde 08:42 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Well, you KNOW I agree!

I also wanted to add that there should NEVER be a sibling discount. Two kids cost you the same to provide care whether related or not.

And, in fact, siblings are a higher risk category in daycare than two unrelated kids. Because if they decide to leave a bigger chunk of your income is a stake until you can fill their spots.
Yup
Just had this happen and it sucked. Next sib born into the day care will require a TWO months notice contract plus one month of deposit for each kid.
nannyde 09:08 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I am about to cry over the bolded parts! That would be my ideal situation. However, where I live, it just was not possible, especially taking the state funded clients, which always gave me problems. I am JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!
I would take sib groups if they were pure evening shift. Like after five p.m. till two a.m. or something like that. As long as the majority of the hours were sleeping hours I would do it.

Daytime... NO

The State pay is SO low and the clients ARE much more difficult to work with as a whole. Always exceptions but in my 15 years of taking State paid I only had a handful that were reliably employed and kept to their agreement with attendance and notice.

I didn't allow more than one slot for State paid on the day shift for most of the time I took it. My cousins kids were with me for three years and he was a DREAM parent to work for. I loved that part of my day care days. He was super excellent to me and I loved having my own flesh and blood in the day care. This was long before DS was born and I wanted kids really badly. They were a pleasure and I was SO bummed when he graduated college and moved up North.

So you definitely can find some deals where it really works but for the most part the State paid slots are your most unstable slots. You not only have money issues but you have other issues that come along with poverty... transportation issues, clothing issues, family drama, job changes, flunking out of school or quitting, etc.

One of the BIGGEST problems I had was them bringing their kid when they weren't working or in school. They could NOT understand that if they were not working they could NOT bring their kid. I had a TERRIBLE issue with that.

Once you give something to someone for free it doesn't take long before that becomes them. They are thoughtless about it and just assume that it is the way it is. It's VERY risky to do this for very long because it becomes not valuable to the receiver once it becomes a given as a way of life. The only way for them to see the value of it is to make it difficult to get and then to remove part of it or all of it.

As a society we do not owe anyone free day care. It's a privledge to live in a country where society values helping people overcome to obstacle of child care when income is low. We don't have to do it. We are doing it to be helpful. If it gets cut off or it is harder and harder to get then it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. We can and should do what we CAN but it shouldn't be easy to get.

Here in our State a subsidy for two or more kids in day care is MORE money than the parent that qualifies even makes in their job. We need to really look at that and decide if it is worth investing so much money in it and set some limits for how long each person can access it. It doesn't really pay to have multiple kids in child care when the parent is making minimum wage. We should only allow that for a short window of time... a few years and then put a stop to it.

The other thing that needs to change TODAY is that parents are able to access these grants before accessing child support. NO parent should be able to apply for this assistance until they have begun the process to access child support. Daddy first... then Uncle Sam. It should be a part of every application that forms showing PROOF that child support process has been inititated and updating for every grant renewal to show the process of where the child support is standing. The child support money needs to be included n the grant money calculations.

I'm not saying that a parent who doesn't get child support should be denied... I'm saying they can't apply for it until they apply for child support FIRST. This would stop a LOT of scamming that is going on where parents are claiming Daddy doesn't live with them so they can get free day care. Daddy aint gonna go for the child support deal when he is there in the home.

We should also require that every applicant show proof of US citizenship before applying.
mac60 09:37 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by :
Quoted below from Nannyde:
"As a society we do not owe anyone free day care. It's a privledge to live in a country where society values helping people overcome to obstacle of child care when income is low. We don't have to do it. We are doing it to be helpful. If it gets cut off or it is harder and harder to get then it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. We can and should do what we CAN but it shouldn't be easy to get.

The other thing that needs to change TODAY is that parents are able to access these grants before accessing child support. NO parent should be able to apply for this assistance until they have begun the process to access child support. Daddy first... then Uncle Sam. It should be a part of every application that forms showing PROOF that child support process has been inititated and updating for every grant renewal to show the process of where the child support is standing. The child support money needs to be included n the grant money calculations.

We should also require that every applicant show proof of US citizenship before applying."
I totally agree with you. Honestly, I am getting sick of the poor me someone else should pay my way syndrome. If your gonna have kids, then you need to be able to afford them BEFORE you get yourself pregnant. If you are in a bad relationship.....don't have kids, if you are not married.......don't have kids, that is unless you can afford them on your own without gov't help.

I know someone who is approx 26 years old and she has had 2 abortions and is pregnant with her 4th kid. All paid for by the taxpayers. There are 3 different fathers involved, and she still is not married. There should be a cap on the system as to how many you can collect on. And there should be some type of repayment for all the help and $$$ she is getting, even if it is thru volunteer work, because these losers, and that is what they are, will continue to tap out the system, while the rest of us work our asses off to pay their way thru a life of bad decisions and poor choices. (One of the kids is my nephews boy who is 7, and she signed off on him, so has no financial responsibility to her son). It is so darn sad. I find it hard to call her a mother. She is nothing but a baby machine who sits back and collects gov't money.
judytrickett 10:36 AM 07-26-2010
Once you give something to someone for free it doesn't take long before that becomes them. They are thoughtless about it and just assume that it is the way it is. It's VERY risky to do this for very long because it becomes not valuable to the receiver once it becomes a given as a way of life. The only way for them to see the value of it is to make it difficult to get and then to remove part of it or all of it.

THAT bolded part is what I constantly feel I am trying to drive into other providers' heads.

EVERY product or service and compensation for that product or service comes down to ONE WORD.........

...........VALUE..........

And the MINUTE you discount care or undersell care there is a loss of value for that product or service. So, once you give a discount the discount becomes the norm for that parent. They will forget about your good graces and YOUR loss of income for them. The discounted rate becomes THE rate.

Daycare providers need to realize that they live and die not by how much they charge, if they have Golden parents or nightmare parents etc etc but by the VALUE that the parents see in what they offer. It's ALL about Value.

I LOVE Lindt chocolates..you know...the foil wrapped truffles. But I think they are a waste of money at their regular price. I refuse to buy them unless I see them on for a really good sale price. And when they ARE on sale I buy some for a treat.

Here's my point.....the regular $6 price on those Lindt chocolates has no perceived value for me. But slap a $3 discount and suddenly they DO have value. It's exactly the same product but it is only valuable to me when I can buy it at $3. And what that says about ME is that at $6 Lindts are not a priority to me.

You have to realize that ANY dcparent who comes along and asks or expects a discount is a bargain Lindt buyer. They WANT the daycare. They LOVE the great daycares but they don't put real value in the daycare unless someone is basically giving it away.

Don't undersell your valuability!!!! ((yes, I made that word up )).

If parents are not willing to pay full price for the Lindts then they don't get the joy of eating that silky smooth chocolate. Instead they have to settle for Hershey's.
professionalmom 01:00 PM 07-26-2010
First, Nannyde, I love you and your insights are so on target!

As a society we do not owe anyone free day care. It's a privledge to live in a country where society values helping people overcome to obstacle of child care when income is low. We don't have to do it. We are doing it to be helpful. If it gets cut off or it is harder and harder to get then it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. We can and should do what we CAN but it shouldn't be easy to get.
I can't tell you how many people do not understand the difference between a privledge and a RIGHT. I have actually had parents tell me that I was violating their parental RIGHTS because I did not want the DCM's significant other (who was an abusive alcoholic, per the DCM) to know the location of my home! No matter how you explain that it's a safety issue for ALL the children, it became a "rights" issue, as did her subsidy.

Oh, and if I didn't get the state pay, they think it's MY problem. Uh, no, you are the recipient of that program. It's YOUR benefit, not mine. YOU still owe me, regardless of whether the state pays or not. So it's YOUR responsibility to stay on top of it.

Here in our State a subsidy for two or more kids in day care is MORE money than the parent that qualifies even makes in their job. We need to really look at that and decide if it is worth investing so much money in it and set some limits for how long each person can access it. It doesn't really pay to have multiple kids in child care when the parent is making minimum wage. We should only allow that for a short window of time... a few years and then put a stop to it.
I have said this many times. Why would the state pay $260 per week for childcare for 2 kids, when the parent is only grossing $300 per week (net $225)? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the parent an extra $200 a week in benefits to stay home with said children? Government would save $100 per week in benefits and the kids would get to be raised by the actual parent. Oh, wait, I forgot, we are using that "new math" that I'm too old to have been taught in school. You know where 2+2 really does equal 5?

Oh, and here's one for you: DCM with 2 boys under 2 years old and pregnant with 3rd, hoping for a girl and very excited. Find out 3rd baby is a boy too. Now wants an abortion. On state assistance and what the state doesn't pay, grandma (great-grandma to the kids) pays. How about required birth control to maintain benefits? I'm not saying sterilization (true violation in parental rights, right to procreate, etc.), just a temporary stay in the procreation years for the time you are getting aid.

We should also require that every applicant show proof of US citizenship before applying.
Although I agree with this, I would like to add the ability to read and understand basic instructions. One of the biggest problems I had with DHS clients is their inability to understand that THEY are responsible for ANY and ALL differences between what I charged and what the state paid (even though it IS in their paperwork and instructions that they received from the state). They also did not comprehend that when the subsidy reimbursement rates decreased, that they would have to make up the difference. I had a mediator actually ask a former client if it was possible that the state had problems meeting their budget and that state money was running out, necessitating a decrease in their benefits. The former client said "no, no way! That's not possible!" They just did not "get it" that their benefits come from somewhere and that it's not a free flowing money machine. (You really should have been there when this conversation was going on. I dropped my head in embarrassment for this person's complete and utter ignorance).
mac60 02:20 PM 07-26-2010
"I have said this many times. Why would the state pay $260 per week for childcare for 2 kids, when the parent is only grossing $300 per week (net $225)? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the parent an extra $200 a week in benefits to stay home with said children? Government would save $100 per week in benefits and the kids would get to be raised by the actual parent. Oh, wait, I forgot, we are using that "new math" that I'm too old to have been taught in school. You know where 2+2 really does equal 5?"

Sorry, I don't agree with this, I think parents who have children they can't afford should HAVE to work, regardless if they come out ahead or not. Maybe they will think twice before they continue to pop another one out. And honestly, these kids who are in care with this type of parent who gets assistance is probably getting much better care at daycare than if they were at home with own parents. It is called the entitlement syndrome.
professionalmom 05:08 PM 07-26-2010
"I have said this many times. Why would the state pay $260 per week for childcare for 2 kids, when the parent is only grossing $300 per week (net $225)? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the parent an extra $200 a week in benefits to stay home with said children? Government would save $100 per week in benefits and the kids would get to be raised by the actual parent. Oh, wait, I forgot, we are using that "new math" that I'm too old to have been taught in school. You know where 2+2 really does equal 5?"

Sorry, I don't agree with this, I think parents who have children they can't afford should HAVE to work, regardless if they come out ahead or not. Maybe they will think twice before they continue to pop another one out. And honestly, these kids who are in care with this type of parent who gets assistance is probably getting much better care at daycare than if they were at home with own parents. It is called the entitlement syndrome.
I definitely see your point and I agree to a degree. However, when you do the math, it is only hurting us (taxpayers). If you add up the medicaid, food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, utility assistance, daycare assistance, grants for school (free college anyone?), free legal assistance (to go after deadbeat dad), etc. they are getting over $2000 per month in benefits. What I love is the comments they make: "Give me a break. I don't have a husband to help me like you do." Uh, the government IS your husband. The government is contributing a second income to your household (tax free I might add).

So, why not keep these women home with their kids for a flat $1200 per month payout, for 3 years (until the kid can go to HeadStart or something like that), AND make the mom be on a long-term (but not permanent) birth control (like Norplant or IUD). If they refuse the birth control or get pregnant again, they do not get an additional 3 years or additional benefits. They get exactly the same as they did with one and when the original 3 years is up ... well, she better have a plan in place by then because the gravy train comes to a halt. I guess, she'll figure something out if there's a cap on everything. Plus, it will save all of us the expenses in the long run. As a taxpayer, I would rather pay $1200 per month for 36 months, rather than over $2000 every month indefinitely. Oh, and I mean $1200 to cover everything - housing, utilities, medical, food, etc. Of course this would be adjusted for the region. People in NYC would need more than a small town in the midwest. How could that cover everything? Go to Aldi (or some other discount grocery for food and buy the off brands), learn to conserve the A/C or heat/lights, use the Internet at the library to learn how to stretch your groceries by learning new recipes, use natural cleaning products (vinegar, baking soda), use cloth diapers, line dry the laundry, walk more, get a bike instead of a car, etc.

Would this put kids on the street? Not exactly. If the parent keeps popping out babies and looking for handouts, but can't provide, why doesn't the government step in? There are plenty of people on lists for YEARS, decades, looking for children to adopt. Now, I'm not talking about the families that have fallen on hard times and need assistance to get back on their feet. I'm talking about the women that crank out babies with different fathers (usually deadbeats) and are expecting everyone else to foot the bill. It starts a legacy of welfare entitlement that does not stop in a few years or even that generation.

I know this is going to be VERY unpopular, but we have to step up and start taking responsibility for ourselves. Sure, my family is having hard times right now. However, I do blame part of OUR problems on these welfare clients that I have had, that I have to take to court just to get the money they owe me. I have been taken advantage of and it has cost my family a lot. Luckily, we are still pretty self-sufficient. Our hands are NOT out looking for money. We are making the necessary adjustments to out lifestyle to avoid government involvement. We do get WIC, but that is it. And this is the first time in our lives. We are both in our mid to late 30's and have paid into the system for over 20 years. Yet, I almost cried from embarressment when I had to cash in some of our "benefits". I felt like a failure. Yet, many others see it as a RIGHT instead of the Privledge that it is.
preschoolmummy 08:35 PM 07-26-2010
I charge $650 per month for my preschool (the most expensive in my area) and I'm getting more enrollments and I think its down to the curriculum I have implemented. I have made my teachers read a few professional development guides and hired a consultant.

Just in case you're wondering which curriculum I adopted...it’s the International Preschool Curriculum.
QualiTcare 11:56 PM 07-26-2010
i didn't read every single post in detail, so before anyone thinks i'm talking to them, i'm NOT...

but when i was a single mom, i worked 40 hours a week and went to school full time (i still have the student loans to prove it). i didn't get food stamps, housing, etc, but i did get HELP with daycare. i didn't get it for FREE, but i got a discount. i can see how people would think that's not "right" or "fair" because the last 2 years of college i worked for a daycare.

i saw parents that had NO job come and drop their kids off in their pajamas. they got free housing, food stamps - the whole nine. that was hard when i was a broke, single mom that would love to spend the day with my daughter. i would think to myself, "must be nice. maybe i should just quit my job at sit at home." i wanted to strangle them! BUT i wanted a degree so i didn't (quit and sit at home). there came a point where i realized, yeah, they're getting free food and housing and insurance, but their lives are going to suck FOREVER - and mine will get better - which it did. i OWN my house, i OWN my car (meaning no payments) and i give back to the community.

they're still living in the projects, driving junk cars, getting dirty looks - and i own a house, i'm paying taxes, and children and parents look up to me and come to ME for advice which is still humbling. IF i had not worked, i would've gotten food stamps and housing and all those things. it makes people that were in my situation (going to school AND working full time) wonder -why am i doing this? i could get food and rent for free if i just quit. i thought it many times, but there ARE people like me who think of the future.

i guess the point is - although i KNOW from experience that many of these moms take advantage - there are still good, young moms who are trying hard to do the right thing - so remember that. i always sensed the "yeah right" thoughts when i was a young, single mom and told people i was going to be a teacher. i didn't blame them - it just made me want to work harder.

for the record, whoever said something about child support first, uncle sam second - that actually is the case (at least in TN). like i said, i didn't get housing, food stamps, etc., but if i wanted to work, i had to have help with daycare. it was either work full time/go to school full time and get help with daycare OR sit on the couch and get everything free for 18 years. i was so embarrassed to have to ask for help with daycare (but more embarrassed to sit at home and do nothing) and they told me the catch to receiving childcare assistance was that i had to cooperate with child support enforcement - not that i had a problem with that. in other words, if i wouldn't submit to a DNA test or appear in court to get child support out of my child's father - i couldn't get help with daycare. i agreed to cooperate with child support - BUT you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

i'm successful now, my daughter is six years old, and her father owes thousands. that's with the state pursuing him. he goes to court still and they let him go. he might not pay on time or pay the full amount, but how much will he pay if he's in jail?

and to those people that think "girls" should choose more wisely, all i have to say is LUCKY YOU! i don't think anyone chooses a man that will turn into a deadbeat, and if you think people don't change, you haven't done much living.
QualiTcare 12:07 AM 07-27-2010
oh, and to answer the question - i charged $250 per week and i kept 4 kids (the max i could keep being unlicensed) which was about 50-75 more dollars per week than most daycares in my area.

BUT my parents didn't care to pay it because i had a low ratio and i have a B.S. degree in early childhood which makes a difference to some people. no, i'm not knocking people that don't, but that is appealing to certain people - especially if you're only keeping 4 kids - it's not hard to get 3/4 families who value that.
mac60 02:42 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I definitely see your point and I agree to a degree. However, when you do the math, it is only hurting us (taxpayers). If you add up the medicaid, food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, utility assistance, daycare assistance, grants for school (free college anyone?), free legal assistance (to go after deadbeat dad), etc. they are getting over $2000 per month in benefits. What I love is the comments they make: "Give me a break. I don't have a husband to help me like you do." Uh, the government IS your husband. The government is contributing a second income to your household (tax free I might add).

So, why not keep these women home with their kids for a flat $1200 per month payout, for 3 years (until the kid can go to HeadStart or something like that), AND make the mom be on a long-term (but not permanent) birth control (like Norplant or IUD). If they refuse the birth control or get pregnant again, they do not get an additional 3 years or additional benefits. They get exactly the same as they did with one and when the original 3 years is up ... well, she better have a plan in place by then because the gravy train comes to a halt. I guess, she'll figure something out if there's a cap on everything. Plus, it will save all of us the expenses in the long run. As a taxpayer, I would rather pay $1200 per month for 36 months, rather than over $2000 every month indefinitely. Oh, and I mean $1200 to cover everything - housing, utilities, medical, food, etc. Of course this would be adjusted for the region. People in NYC would need more than a small town in the midwest. How could that cover everything? Go to Aldi (or some other discount grocery for food and buy the off brands), learn to conserve the A/C or heat/lights, use the Internet at the library to learn how to stretch your groceries by learning new recipes, use natural cleaning products (vinegar, baking soda), use cloth diapers, line dry the laundry, walk more, get a bike instead of a car, etc.

Would this put kids on the street? Not exactly. If the parent keeps popping out babies and looking for handouts, but can't provide, why doesn't the government step in? There are plenty of people on lists for YEARS, decades, looking for children to adopt. Now, I'm not talking about the families that have fallen on hard times and need assistance to get back on their feet. I'm talking about the women that crank out babies with different fathers (usually deadbeats) and are expecting everyone else to foot the bill. It starts a legacy of welfare entitlement that does not stop in a few years or even that generation.

I know this is going to be VERY unpopular, but we have to step up and start taking responsibility for ourselves. Sure, my family is having hard times right now. However, I do blame part of OUR problems on these welfare clients that I have had, that I have to take to court just to get the money they owe me. I have been taken advantage of and it has cost my family a lot. Luckily, we are still pretty self-sufficient. Our hands are NOT out looking for money. We are making the necessary adjustments to out lifestyle to avoid government involvement. We do get WIC, but that is it. And this is the first time in our lives. We are both in our mid to late 30's and have paid into the system for over 20 years. Yet, I almost cried from embarressment when I had to cash in some of our "benefits". I felt like a failure. Yet, many others see it as a RIGHT instead of the Privledge that it is.
You DO have a very good idea, and I agree with you. In some way, these people need to take into accountablility for their behavior and the consequenses on their children, and the public in general.
Lucy 09:51 AM 07-28-2010
It just seems easier all around to have a monthly "tuition" rate. I charge by the month, but it is based on how many days they attend. I have a chart that shows 3 days/week is a certain amount per month, 4 days/week is a certain amount per month, and likewise for 5 days/week. I also have it broken down to what it averages out per day so that I can quote that over the phone. People seem to want to hear the daily rate when they call.

If they come before and after school, we just figure out how many hours they will be here each day, and what that will cost per day, then multiply that by 21.67, which is the average number of weekdays in a month, and that is their monthly rate.

Parents pay the same monthly amount every single month. Doesn't matter how many holidays, their vacation days, or my vacation days. If they or their kid is sick and stay home, still same amount. If, and that's a big IF, I am sick, still pay same amount. I say that because in 16 years, I've only had to call everyone to tell them I'm taking the day off twice. I just don't get sick. (Knock on wood.)

I think of it as a tuition just like a Daycare Center would have. I do give a little bit of a sibling discount. Probably amounts to about 5%.
professionalmom 11:18 AM 07-28-2010
Wow. So far I think I had the biggest sibling discount - 25%. And I still got told that I was too much. So here's what I charged:
FT
$130 / week for 1 kid
$97.50 / week for each additional kid (25% discount)
So, $227.50 per week for 2 kids (total 12.5% discount each)
$$325 per week for 3 kids (total 17% discount each)

PT
$3.50 per hour for 1 kid
$2.63 per hour for each additional kid (25% discount)
So, $6.13 per hour for 2 kids (total 12.5% discount each)
$8.76 per hour for 3 kids (total 17% discount each)

But I guess some people expect $1 per hour per kid is more than enough.
My Daycare 11:50 AM 07-28-2010
Full Time $160/wk (Up to 50 hrs).

Part time $120/wk (under 25 hrs and up to 3 days a week).
Jenjo 11:54 AM 07-28-2010
It is sad how much I charge but the rates here in my small town are crappy.
15.00 dollars a day for 2 and up
17.00 dollars a day for under 2
Up to 8 hours over that it is an additional 2.50 an hour.
Pathetic I know
momma2girls 01:01 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by Jenjo:
It is sad how much I charge but the rates here in my small town are crappy.
15.00 dollars a day for 2 and up
17.00 dollars a day for under 2
Up to 8 hours over that it is an additional 2.50 an hour.
Pathetic I know
Yes, they are. You can't even say $20.00 across the board??? WOW!!!! You can't be making anything at all!! How many hrs. are you open?
Julia27 11:06 PM 09-11-2012
Hi my name is Julia and i'm only 16 but i really want to have my own daycare when im older. I only want to care for children ages 2-5 (maybe infants) and as i grow bigger i would take in ages 6-8. I have a lot of questions that need to be answered:

-How much do i charge for full time? Part time?
-How does the average day go?
-What kind of activities do you do for the children?
-Do you have to do any kind of schooling?
*if so, How long? What classes?
-What is the greatest amount of kids one person can take in?
-How much do you make a year?
-Are you able to charge them extra for providing food?
-How long did it take for your business to get started?
-What are the in-home requirements?
-How do you spread the word about your new daycare?
-What is the best state to live in to start this business?

Please help and answer as much as you can.
MarinaVanessa 10:36 AM 09-12-2012
-How much do i charge for full time? Part time?
That depends on a lot of things such as what state, city and part of a city you are living in. Will your business be located in a low, middle or upper class neighborhood? What type of services will you provide? Will your daycare be in high demand? Will you offer a curiculum? Melas? Field trips? etc. There are so many variables to consider so this is not a question easily answered.

-How does the average day go?
Well that depends on what type of a program you choose to provide. Typically most programs consist of 2 main meals (breakfast and lunch) and 2 snacks (morning and evening) and a nap time. During the time in between you can schedule activities, walks and outings and both indoor and outdoor free play. The type of schedule you choose is based on what you want to do with the kids.

-What kind of activities do you do for the children?
Paint, color, draw, read, sing, etc.

-Do you have to do any kind of schooling?
*if so, How long? What classes?

In my state (CA) we are not required to have any formal type of schooling to become a licensed child care home however it's to your advantage if you take at least some courses in child development. We are however required to be current in CPR, first aid and preventative health and safety paractices. This costs about $100-$150 and is a weekend course every 2 years for me given by the American Red Cross.

-What is the greatest amount of kids one person can take in?
hat depend on the type of license you have and your states regulations. In CA a small family childcare home can have 6 kids (8 if 2 of them are in Kinder and 1st grade or older). A large family childcare license allows you to have 12 kids (14 if 2 of them are in kinder or 1st grade or older) and if you have an assistant. If you only care for family members in my state you can care for as many as you want to and not have to be licensed. If you are unlicensed you can only care for 1 families children but as long as they are all siblings you don't have a max cap.

-How much do you make a year?
I currently regularly care for 5 daycare children and my own 2 kids. I average about $40,000 a year including drop-ins.

-Are you able to charge them extra for providing food?
Yes, you can do whatever you choose to do. However it is common practice to include the cost of meals into your regular rates.

-How long did it take for your business to get started?
It took me a full 2 years before I was finally comfortable financially and didn't have to worry about a client leaving. I still made enough with the other children to cover for a lost child.

-What are the in-home requirements?
This varies from state to state and there are a lot of requirements. The best thing to do it to check with your local licensing office for these. Sometimes you can get this info online.

-How do you spread the word about your new daycare?
I do several things all at once. The home page of Daycare.com has a few of the ways that I advertise my daycare.
How to advertise your daycare

-What is the best state to live in to start this business?
This is a hard one as I don't know.
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:39 AM 09-12-2012
Texas

1 child (M-F 8:00am-5:00pm) $145.00
2 children (M-F 8:00am-5:00pm) $137.75
momofthree211614 07:48 AM 09-14-2012
Western Mass. 30$ a day or 150$ a week. Sibling discount is 5$ a day off the second child so 275 a week for two.
Unregistered 08:32 AM 09-14-2012
Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!
It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.
daycare 08:45 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.
heheheheheh I love you!!

im in SF bay area in CA

I charge for full time 225 week
part time is 50 day x # of days child attends.
Unregistered 08:43 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.
Controlled Chaos 09:50 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.
This is a very old threat so I doubt the other prices are accurate anymore
thrivingchildcarecom 10:45 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in a suburb of So. Calf. Infants and toddlers and FT & PT are different pay rates. Currently I charge $250/w for infants FT. Older toddlers are $175/w FT.
Avalon_Mist 10:16 AM 06-29-2016
Does anyone offer sliding scale rates based on the parents' income?
Pestle 02:37 PM 06-29-2016
No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!
LysesKids 03:23 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!
Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf
Necia 12:44 AM 07-02-2016
Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much
Thriftylady 07:04 AM 07-02-2016
Originally Posted by Necia:
Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much
Well usually when someone comes into your home, that makes them a nanny. So, you have to pay at least Min. wage, pay in their federal and state taxes, pay in workers comp and unemployment taxes. So I would start with your states min. wage, and probably pay more than that.
Pestle 03:59 PM 07-02-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf
Wow--you answered the questions that the local office wouldn't answer!
BabyMonkeys 06:37 PM 07-02-2016
I'm in central Florida and offer a program completely different than anyone around me. Infants and toddlers only, maximum of 3 children at once, eco-friendly, all organic meals + snacks, homemade baby food daily, diapers, wipes, etc. included...I'm having a hard time finding people that don't freak out that I charge $150 a week for infants and $160 a week for toddlers. Since I never come close to my legal ratio, I charge less for infant positions and more for toddlers because they are more expensive for me to care for. Where are you advertising?

It's the first opening I've had in 2 1/2 years and I'm in shock at how much the market has changed in that time!
Jazzii 10:10 AM 07-05-2016
We're in NY

225 weekly for infant (under age 2)
205 weekly for a 2 year old
200 weekly for a 3 year old
50 a week for a school ager- before and afterschool (before is 50, after is 50)
100/wk school ager full day

All food except formula is included
delferka 07:18 PM 07-05-2016
I live in western mass. I charge $35 per day. If your here for 1 to 8 hours, it's $35.
Unregistered 07:22 PM 07-05-2016
Full time 0-2 $240/week
2+ $215/week
Part time $ 60/day
Unregistered 07:24 PM 07-05-2016
I live in Orange County,Ca

Full time age 0-2 $ 240/week
2+ $ 215/week
Part time-$ 60/day
LysesKids 07:46 PM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by BabyMonkeys:
I'm in central Florida and offer a program completely different than anyone around me. Infants and toddlers only, maximum of 3 children at once, eco-friendly, all organic meals + snacks, homemade baby food daily, diapers, wipes, etc. included...I'm having a hard time finding people that don't freak out that I charge $150 a week for infants and $160 a week for toddlers. Since I never come close to my legal ratio, I charge less for infant positions and more for toddlers because they are more expensive for me to care for. Where are you advertising?

It's the first opening I've had in 2 1/2 years and I'm in shock at how much the market has changed in that time!
I live in TN and work similar to you; differences, I don't provide diapers or formula & I charge by the month. My wages translate into 130 week with 4 infants/young toddlers at most (state limit) and I take 20 business days off yearly. I don't live in the major area, but a county next to... I have 5 families because I actually accept PT (under TN subsidy rules PT is 20 hrs week @ half FT pay)
Unregistered 07:50 PM 07-05-2016
I charge $800/month for full time. That includes wipes and all meals and snacks for children 1 yr and up.
Fancygoldfish 03:37 PM 07-06-2016
Suburb of Columbus, OH. $150. 7:30-5. No discounts.

There are lots of home daycares in my area and they range from about $125 week for preschoolers to $200 a week for newborns. Those are the extreme ends in this area. $150 is avg.
Fancygoldfish 03:41 PM 07-06-2016
Suburb of Columbus, OH. $150. 7:30-5. No discounts. Parents provide diapers and wipes. I provide meals for toddlers and preschoolers. I get major holidays off with pay.

There are lots of home daycares in my area and they range from about $125 week for preschoolers to $200 a week for newborns. Those are the extreme ends in this area. $150 is avg.
Shell's Lil' Angels 01:16 PM 07-07-2016
I always find it educational to read about and learn the many vast differences there are across the country with regards to the various contract prices, conditions, and polices that we each have as providers and educators. Some of you are charging prices that I haven't seen in our area for 15 years plus. And from most of the threads that I've read, paid holidays, sick time, and vacation time is from one extreme to the other...or even nonexistent.

I live in the bay area, about 40 minutes east of San Francisco, CA, in a small town, 11,700 in population, at the base of Mount Diablo. My prices are at the top of the scale for family child care. But, not nearly as expensive as most day care centers in our area. Day care centers in the bay area are typically $350.00 to $400.00 weekly.

My prices are as follows:

Daily (when less than 5 days a week) - $60.00
Weekly (when contracted M-F) - $275.00
$10 discount for sibling per week

I don't tier-rate charge for infants and toddlers because I do provide a formal Preschool and Kindergarten readiness program. Due to the expense incurred for my time, expertise, and materials, my prices remain the same for ages 0 to 6. I also do not provide a large discount for siblings. Partly, because my expenses aren't reduced just because I have siblings in attendance....operating costs still remain the same! I haven't provided before and after school care due to the lack of busing available in our school district. Funding for buses was cut a few years ago. As a large family day care, with 10 to 12 children each day, about half of my roster is part time and the remaining half is full time.

I no longer accept state funded child care families. I've only had one family in the past, primarily due to the monetary lucrativeness of the town in which I reside. My experience with the state of California and their inability to pay timely was horrid. Sometimes, two to three months would pass before I would see a check. As well, and as is obvious to those of you who do receive state funded payments for child care/preschool, the state pays far less than private-pay families.

I also incorporate in to my contact paid sick time and paid vacation. I receive yearly, 5 days sick pay and 4 weeks paid vacation. My holiday closures coincide with the school district in which I reside. Time off is very important to my emotional and physical health. This allows me to be the best provider and the best teacher to my little ones. And my parents respect this need. I've never had any problems with paid time off. I'm so fortunate to have such a great group of parents.
Shell's Lil' Angels 04:27 PM 07-07-2016
Oh, and a nanny in the Bay Area.....they make between $20 and $35 hourly!!
Unregistered 11:44 AM 07-11-2016
I am in MD. My rates are as follows:

Infants: $210/wk
2-3: $190/wk
4-5: $170/wk

And, I get 12 paid holidays a year, 10 days vacation, and 5 personal/sick days. My families get 5 vacation days after one year of enrollment.
Unregistered 06:04 PM 07-19-2016
Part Time = 1-3 days. Full Time = 4-5 days.

Age 6 weeks - 2.5 years:
Drop In rate is $30/day
Part time care is $90/week
Full time care is $130/week

Age 2.5 years - until they start school:
Drop In rate is $25/day
Part time care is $75/week
Full time care is $125/week

School Age children:
Drop In rate is $15/day during the school year
$25/day during summer vacation
Part time care is $45/week during the school year
$75/week during summer vacation
Full time care is $65/week during the school year
$100/week during summer vacation

Discounts & Rebates:
Multiple Children Discount
$10/child/week for full time
$5/child/week for part time
no discount for drop in care

Referral Rebate
Part Time or Full Time DCP's may refer other families to me for a bonus incentive. New DCF must sign up for at least part time care. After 3 months, if both DCF are in good standing (not behind in payments) the referring DCP will receive a $100 childcare credit.
Unregistered 09:58 AM 08-18-2016
This is fascinating reading! I am in VT and a small home program. I charge a set amount based on a rate of $4.75/hour for children under two and $4.50/hour for those over 2. I have a a M.Ed and am a licensed teacher, have a small group, Eco friendly program and serve mostly organic home cooked meals (2 snacks and lunch). I have heard my rates are about average around here. I let families take a few sick days unpaid and I don't charge for days I don't work (vacations, sick days, etc). I have a few open spots but honestly I love having a small group. Having worked at a center in the past I felt a weekly rate just encouraged parents to leave kids there as long as possible. That's why I went hourly:seems more fair to families and me. I don't calculate each week though unless it changes drastically... They pick a schedule and I charge a fixed rate based on those hours.
Tags:charge, discount, fees, hourly, payment, real costs of providing care, tuition, tuition breakdown
Reply Up