Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Website - Personal Security Questions
Unregistered 01:33 PM 10-12-2011
I am currently working on building my own daycare website, and so far it's going really well, and I'm having fun with it! But, now I have a few questions regarding personal security and how much information I should include on the website. I'd like to get some other opinions. It is a delicate balance between effectively marketing your business and keeping personal information private. For example, I am not going to give my address, but is it okay to list your town (I live in a very small one)? And, is it safe to include a photo of the outside of your daycare home? What about your last name? I would like to have one page, password protected, where I can post mainly photos for the families currently enrolled to see their children participating in activities or fieldtrips we have taken. I am thinking of using the free service "PoppyDog" to password protect that page of my site...is anyone familiar with this...if so, your thoughts? Thanks so much for any help! This forum has already been VERY helpful to me in creating my own website!
Michael 01:39 PM 10-12-2011
Therein lies the the problem with advertising publically and trying to stay secure. Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record.

I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.
nannyde 01:47 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Therein lies the the problem with advertising publically and trying to stay secure. Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record.

I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.
Yup

Big shout out to the Iowa Department of Human Services for providing all identifying info and a clikable locator map to boot.

No goin back now.

The telemarketer industry REALLY thanks the IDHS.
Childminder 03:29 PM 10-12-2011
I put it all out there. I am a business after all and all they have to do is google me or go to the state website to find me.
kendallina 04:24 PM 10-12-2011
I don't post my address, but I do post my town and state. I have a password protected blog area on my site for my parents to view pictures and such. I don't have a pic of the outside of my home on my site, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I am not listed with a licensing agency as I am legally unlicensed. Hope that helps!
familyschoolcare 04:26 PM 10-12-2011
I give general area and school district. Part of my name is used in the name of the day care.
Gigi 07:01 AM 10-17-2011
Completely understandable on your worry about security.

Having your business name and address in local Google directory can really help when potential parents are searching for a daycare in your area.

However, you can just place your town/ city... And place a "Contact Form" on your website whenever anyone would like to ask questions or see your daycare.

You can say that "for the safety of your children, please send us a message through our contact form below if you would like to visit our daycare..."

Using a Google Voice number on your website in lieu of your own number is also one good way protecting your privacy too. You can always have the numbers forwarded to your own number with Google voice...
Cat Herder 07:47 AM 10-17-2011
Before my State listed my address along with a map and google satelite image I just used the school district I reside in.

It worked perfectly.
Sprouts 10:36 AM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I don't post my address, but I do post my town and state. I have a password protected blog area on my site for my parents to view pictures and such. I don't have a pic of the outside of my home on my site, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I am not listed with a licensing agency as I am legally unlicensed. Hope that helps!
I HAVE BEEN thinking of doing this, i currently use wix.com, but i dont see a blog option, unless i am blind. what provider do you use?
Tags:posting, safety issues, security, website
Reply Up