Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think Sets You Apart From Other Providers and Their Programs?
melilley 09:41 AM 02-15-2013
What do you think sets you and your program apart from other providers and/or their program? I see that many of you have waiting lists or are always full and am wondering what you offer that may be different or seen as more beneficial to families? I know some of it depends on location and the need for childcare in your area, but I also know some of it depends on the quality of a program and/or person.
Oneluckymom 09:52 AM 02-15-2013
I think its the size of my yard and also the fact that my daycare space is separate from the rest of my house. I am also licensed as a small.

Of course some may not be looking for a small daycare or may be looking for a home environment where the kids are present in the "living" areas of the home. But I try to explain that if I do have visitors the children are not in that part of my home so its a plus.

But if I had to pick something it would probably be my large yard. I also have a curriculum I do each day.
bunnyslippers 09:53 AM 02-15-2013
I offer school year only care. I only take teachers, and I do not require payment unless school is open. I charge more than most, but the teacher's love that they don't have to pay if school is closed. It work out great for everyone...I only work when the teachers do, my days are over by 4:00, and don't start until 7:30.

I think having a specialty area helps out ~
canadiancare 09:57 AM 02-15-2013
For myself I have been very fortunate with word of mouth advertising from happy families. I don't think a day at my home is any different from most caregivers. I have a main floor space with a large front window, sunny kitchen area for eating and crafts, my children are grown (21, 19, 15) and thriving in university/high school, my boys teach and guard at the local pool so parents see them there, my daughter is a sought after babysitter so they know I have "good" kids. Former children do really well when they leave me to go to school etc. I've had teachers come up to me and say that they can tell when they get a kid who comes from my house because they are ready for school (I don't just mean academically but they are independent toileters, dressers, can use scissors, etc.).
momofboys 10:05 AM 02-15-2013
I don't take many families -.only 2 at a time max (i have 3 school-age boys of my own so life is busy). Because of that I only take on 3-4 daycare kids total so it allows me to provide lots of attention.to those in my care.
wahmof3 10:05 AM 02-15-2013
I would say my location and.....

I can't believe I am really going to say this....but since my own children are at school here it goes:

I feel that because my children are well mannered, excellent behavior, always smiling, smart, and well rounded great kids it reflects on my business. So yes i am going to admit that my own children "sell" my program. BUT please don't tell them that
momofboys 10:07 AM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
For myself I have been very fortunate with word of mouth advertising from happy families. I don't think a day at my home is any different from most caregivers. I have a main floor space with a large front window, sunny kitchen area for eating and crafts, my children are grown (21, 19, 15) and thriving in university/high school, my boys teach and guard at the local pool so parents see them there, my daughter is a sought after babysitter so they know I have "good" kids. Former children do really well when they leave me to go to school etc. I've had teachers come up to me and say that they can tell when they get a kid who comes from my house because they are ready for school (I don't just mean academically but they are independent toileters, dressers, can use scissors, etc.).

Sugar Magnolia 10:56 AM 02-15-2013
I am a SMALL center with lower-than-required student to teacher ratios. Also do a multi-age approach where kids spend part of their day with their age peer group and part of their day as a mixed age group. Also have minimal staff turnover, and as owner/operators we are always on site. The building is a historic home with many windows, set up as a mini play house just for kids. We accept state subsidy, and many other high quality centers here refuse subsidy children. Full preschool curriculum for those 3 and up. There is no other center in town like us.
HomeMADE 06:59 AM 02-17-2013
I would have to say the cleanliness and trendiness of my home that has also been placed in my daycare. My curriculum is child led learning through play. And my meals are hot and homemade. All DCK's get what my family gets not seconds and boxed food.

My daycare area is at the front of my home, where the formal dining and living would be. So it is very separate, but everyone comes into the family room and kitchen. I ensure that my home is very clean all the time and the children take pride in their area also.

I attempt to purchase as many wooden, good quality toys. And the colors of my space are not jarring. Everyone that has toured my daycare area and the kitchen say they love the space.

Second I only take 4 children and only 2 under 2. My children are at school until pick ups during school. And the summer my 4 year old is another addition to the daycare and the older two boys are busy with their own life.

Good question, it will not only make us think about what we do now to set ourselves apart but also make us start thinking in that mind frame.
KDC 09:22 AM 02-17-2013
I think my website is HUGE. Of course, so is word of mouth from DCP's, family & friends. Also, I'm in a newer subdivision with about 700+ houses that is aimed towards new families with young children. I get many compliments about my blog, where they can SEE that I do fun things with the children. We have a bouncy house and electric cars and bubble machines... they can see all I have to offer through my website before even contacting me, they have a good sense of what my program is about. My home is lived in, but clean.

I also try to keep the ages around the same (1) 1 yr. old, (4) 3 yr. olds, (1) 4 yr. old & (2) 5 yr. olds. The 1 yr. old is the odd man out, but he loves trying to keep up with the older kids, and they love nurturing this little one. 2 naps, so plenty of time to do preschool activities. I recently had a couple sign up with me because there were other kids his age to socialize with... if I kept my number too small, it wouldn't be the same socialization experience of learning how to share, teamwork, friendship, etc.
MNMum 02:16 PM 02-18-2013
I think my nursing degree with 10 years of NICU nursing is a big draw. I'm also a Lactation Consultant. My home has a large fenced yard with a patio and large playset. I serve homemade foods and lots of fresh fruits/veggies and make most of my baby food. I supply diapers and wipes. Right now my daycare room is the large dining room/formal living room at the front of the house with it's own bathroom. It is very bright and sunny. My husband is in the early steps of finishing our basement, hopefully before our baby comes in July. But I do think my 3 kids who are very outgoing and friendly probably are a big draw. They are 3, 7, and 10.

But I'm not a great fit for everyone. I have short hours 7:45-4:30 and am not open on Fridays.
williams2008 02:54 PM 02-18-2013
Word of mouth has been my best friend! A few weeks ago when I was filing my taxes the receptionist which is my cpa's husband said that he has heard nothing but great things about my daycare. As I'm in the back getting my taxes done my cpa said that she overheard one of my dcp's telling someone about my daycare and that she spoke very highly of my program and said that she would recommend my daycare over the early headstart programs anyday I was like WOW because we know everyone likes to hear the word FREE, but for her to recommend me over a free program meant alot to me!!!

Also I would have to say the warm and cozy feeling a person gets when they walk in, at least that's what one of the state people told me!
melilley 03:30 PM 02-18-2013
Wow. Sounds like everyone has a great program! I asked this question because I like to hear how others run their programs and what makes one successful and what maybe wouldn't. I would be proud to send my kids to any one of your programs!
melilley 03:31 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
Word of mouth has been my best friend! A few weeks ago when I was filing my taxes the receptionist which is my cpa's husband said that he has heard nothing but great things about my daycare. As I'm in the back getting my taxes done my cpa said that she overheard one of my dcp's telling someone about my daycare and that she spoke very highly of my program and said that she would recommend my daycare over the early headstart programs anyday I was like WOW because we know everyone likes to hear the word FREE, but for her to recommend me over a free program meant alot to me!!!

Also I would have to say the warm and cozy feeling a person gets when they walk in, at least that's what one of the state people told me!
Awesome! It's always nice to hear goon things about yourself from other people! You should be proud!
melilley 03:35 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I think my nursing degree with 10 years of NICU nursing is a big draw. I'm also a Lactation Consultant. My home has a large fenced yard with a patio and large playset. I serve homemade foods and lots of fresh fruits/veggies and make most of my baby food. I supply diapers and wipes. Right now my daycare room is the large dining room/formal living room at the front of the house with it's own bathroom. It is very bright and sunny. My husband is in the early steps of finishing our basement, hopefully before our baby comes in July. But I do think my 3 kids who are very outgoing and friendly probably are a big draw. They are 3, 7, and 10.

But I'm not a great fit for everyone. I have short hours 7:45-4:30 and am not open on Fridays.
Wow! I don't know if I could work in the NICU! It takes a special person for sure! If you don't mind me asking, how do you make your baby food? Do you buy specific foods or puree what you eat? There has to be a secret...lol I have been trying to make my own and you think it would be a no brainer, but the only food that I can get to turn out right is bananas and avocados. Maybe I need something besides a blender?.
melilley 03:36 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by HomeMADE:
I would have to say the cleanliness and trendiness of my home that has also been placed in my daycare. My curriculum is child led learning through play. And my meals are hot and homemade. All DCK's get what my family gets not seconds and boxed food.

My daycare area is at the front of my home, where the formal dining and living would be. So it is very separate, but everyone comes into the family room and kitchen. I ensure that my home is very clean all the time and the children take pride in their area also.

I attempt to purchase as many wooden, good quality toys. And the colors of my space are not jarring. Everyone that has toured my daycare area and the kitchen say they love the space.

Second I only take 4 children and only 2 under 2. My children are at school until pick ups during school. And the summer my 4 year old is another addition to the daycare and the older two boys are busy with their own life.

Good question, it will not only make us think about what we do now to set ourselves apart but also make us start thinking in that mind frame.

Tags:individuality, standing out, waiting list
Reply Up