Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fun Sensory Table Idea
Heidi 05:23 AM 11-21-2012
I stole from our local parent resource center.

If you've got any old puzzles, or can pick some up at a resale shop, they have been a big hit in my sensory table. You know, the ones with 500 or 1000 pieces, usually missing 2 or 3 pieces after you've had them a while. I mixed a few bigger pieces in, too.

My dck's have had a great time scooping, pouring, etc, and there is NO MESS! and no social dilema by using food...

I've also heard pom poms, but I was looking for free....
Meyou 05:27 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I stole from our local parent resource center.

If you've got any old puzzles, or can pick some up at a resale shop, they have been a big hit in my sensory table. You know, the ones with 500 or 1000 pieces, usually missing 2 or 3 pieces after you've had them a while. I mixed a few bigger pieces in, too.

My dck's have had a great time scooping, pouring, etc, and there is NO MESS! and no social dilema by using food...

Great idea! I'm going to set this up today.

My littles love my pom pom bin. I got my pom poms at the dollar store.
LaLa1923 06:18 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Great idea! I'm going to set this up today.

My littles love my pom pom bin. I got my pom poms at the dollar store.

someone help me...,what is this?? do u have a pic??
Heidi 06:26 AM 11-21-2012
You meanwhat are the pom poms?

They are those craft things that look like multi-colored cotton balls. Some have sparkles or fuzzy whisps of longer "fur", and they come in a variety of sizes in one package.

Here is a link to an online seller for pictures...

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...FelDMgodBmYAZw

I made my sensory table by taking a larger Sterlite container and putting a shallow one of the same size inside it. Now it's the perfect height and depth, and I already had the bins. The bigger kids kneel or sit, and the littles can stand. You could adjust the height by putting blocks or boxes under the shallow one, I think.

So....i was noticing that in that link, it says godBM....wierd...I don't know why I noticed it, either. lol
Mommy2One 06:45 AM 11-21-2012
Thanks for the great idea!!

I made a pom pom sensory bin for my daughter. It actually required a lot less than I thought. I got a big bag of mixed sizes and colors from Micheal's with a 40% off coupon so it ended up being about $4. I supplemented it with a cheap bag of cotton balls. I added an ice cream scoop, a old plastic gelato container, toy ice cream cones, ice cube trays and tongs. We had a lots of fun making treats and sorting the colors.

That reminds me I should get the sensory bin stuff out again soon. She's been asking but the "Dinosaur World" rice based bin was so messy I got discouraged...
LaLa1923 07:01 AM 11-21-2012
You meanwhat are the pom poms?

They are those craft things that look like multi-colored cotton balls. Some have sparkles or fuzzy whisps of longer "fur", and they come in a variety of sizes in one package.

Here is a link to an online seller for pictures...

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...FelDMgodBmYAZw

I made my sensory table by taking a larger Sterlite container and putting a shallow one of the same size inside it. Now it's the perfect height and depth, and I already had the bins. The bigger kids kneel or sit, and the littles can stand. You could adjust the height by putting blocks or boxes under the shallow one, I think.

So....i was noticing that in that link, it says godBM....wierd...I don't know why I noticed it, either. lol
I'm sorry, I mean sensory tables. What exactly is it?
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I'm sorry, I mean sensory tables. What exactly is it?
Sensory tables are bins or containers filled with different types of medium or things the children can feel, touch, dump, run their fingers through, scoop, pour, fill and experiment with. Here is a great link to tell you about them and what they do for the senses as well as a great list of things to use in them.

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/ea...?ArticleID=227

I also just posted a thread where my DCK's used glow in the dark water beads in our sensory table/bin. They LOVED it!
Heidi 07:30 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sensory tables are bins or containers filled with different types of medium or things the children can feel, touch, dump, run their fingers through, scoop, pour, fill and experiment with. Here is a great link to tell you about them and what they do for the senses as well as a great list of things to use in them.

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/ea...?ArticleID=227

I also just posted a thread where my DCK's used glow in the dark water beads in our sensory table/bin. They LOVED it!
Oh BC..you could have added that to this thread...I would not consider it hijacking!
daycare 07:34 AM 11-21-2012
I found that the dollar tree has the poms, but you can get a bigger better deal at oriental trading. You will spend more up front, but you will get more for your money in the end.

I love the puzzle idea.....I am all for no mess fun.... Wait, if it's not messy, its not fun....lol
Tags:sensory table
Reply Up