Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting List
Ariana 06:12 PM 09-19-2017
How do you manage a waiting list? How do they work? I have never had one before but I currently have 3 families who want my infant spot in December. No one has paid any fees so I am planning my next move.

Do you just keep interviewing for the spot and create a list or do you get them to pay the two week deposit now to secure the spot? No one has said indefinitely that they want the spot but are hinting that they want it and I am not sure how to proceed. I don't want to keep interviewing and I also don't want to have the spot open come December because I wasn't proactive.
hwichlaz 06:27 PM 09-19-2017
It's just a list of people interested in being contacted when spots open up.

I'd let the families know that it's not theirs until you have the deposit in hand....and I'd start with the family I like best.
Michael 06:29 PM 09-19-2017
Here are a lot of previous threads on Waiting Lists: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=waiting+list
storybookending 08:06 AM 09-20-2017
There is no first come first served when it comes to my list. If someone calls when I do not have any openings I jot down some general information. Age of child, hours of care needed etc. I should formalize this a bit as I'm taken down information in random places and lost it. This was in both instances pregnant women looking for care wayyy far in advance when I was sure my infant spaces wouldn't open until my current under 2s turn 2 anyways.

I don't interview if I have no spots available. I would perhaps if I ever expanded my license and took in more children but not for the amount I'm allowed. My families are all happy and I don't see them going anywhere and have steady jobs so I don't see an opening due to job loss or anything like that.

In your case I would interview all three families and if I found a family I liked I would ask they put down a non refundable deposit to secure the spot. I would check in again in November to be sure they are still interested. I would tell the other families the spot is no longer available but say I may be contacting them if it were to open again and put their information somewhere safe.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-20-2017
I have a waitlist.

I interview any family that passes the initial contact/call discussion. Even when I don't have an opening.

This helps me know which families are serious about wanting to enroll and helps eliminate the process of enrolling. When a space becomes available it's filled almost immediately from my wait list. All that is left for the family to do is fill out the enrollment paperwork, pay and then show up on their scheduled day.

My waitlist form is on my website. The waitlist page has a pretty thorough FAQ's section that clearly explains how the wait list works and why it's not first come first served.

Its worked great for me for several years now.

I send out an update as to any expected openings around the first of the month to all families on my list. They are required to reply within 3 business days. If not, they are removed from the list.
Ariana 08:53 AM 09-20-2017
Ok thanks all! I will write down everyones info and closer to the date ask if they are still interested.

If I have an interview and the person wants the spot and is willing to pay the two weeks fee do they trump the other people I have interviewed? Or do I go back and call them first?

I feel like everyone I have interviewed thinks they have a spot with me by the way they word emails. In my opinion unless they pay $$ they are not guaranteed the spot.

Thanks Michael will check those out! I never think to search
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Ok thanks all! I will write down everyones info and closer to the date ask if they are still interested.

If I have an interview and the person wants the spot and is willing to pay the two weeks fee do they trump the other people I have interviewed? Or do I go back and call them first?

I feel like everyone I have interviewed thinks they have a spot with me by the way they word emails. In my opinion unless they pay $$ they are not guaranteed the spot.

Thanks Michael will check those out! I never think to search
I would never require anyone to pay anything until the space is actually offered to them and/or I am holding it for them. Everyone on the wait list is waiting. If a space doesn't open up during the amount of time they are willing to wait...they're free to leave the wait list. I've had families wait anywhere from a month to a couple years...

But no money is exchanged until they are given the indication that a space will be vacated soon and they want to enroll.
Jupadia 10:30 AM 09-20-2017
I have just started a wait list. I've got a couple family's on it all looking for infant care. As it stands all I have is a 2+ spot in January that's only good to June. If someone where to give notice then I would call family's to see if any one wants care. I use it more for spots that may open.

If I know a spot will be openg I'll try to fill it before it actually becomes available. Right now I would take my deposit plus first week (2 weeks total) and give the spot to the family that pays said deposit.
Ariana 11:23 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would never require anyone to pay anything until the space is actually offered to them and/or I am holding it for them. Everyone on the wait list is waiting. If a space doesn't open up during the amount of time they are willing to wait...they're free to leave the wait list. I've had families wait anywhere from a month to a couple years...

But no money is exchanged until they are given the indication that a space will be vacated soon and they want to enroll.
This makes the most sense to me too. A lot can happen from now and December and I may find a better fit. I also don't want contracts signed until right before care starts. One family has twins and I would prefer to give them the care but they did not interview first.

Thanks!
Tags:waiting list, waiting list interviews
Reply Up