Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Had To Enforce Sick Policy Before...
EchoMom 05:59 AM 02-21-2013
I've never had to enforce my sick policy before, but now I've just had a situation I'm uncomfortable with...

DCP called this AM saying she'd be taking DCB to Dr. first thing this morning and then may bring him in after. She came just a half hour later than normal drop off time and said Dr. said he had sinus infection and a course of antibiotics prescribed, he had a low grade fever last night but not one this morning. She said she gave him Ibuprofin right after Dr. visit.

I told her that if the fever came back I would call her to pick him up because we can't have fever at daycare.

Should I have turned them away at the door?
But I can't prove he had a fever and she only admitted to it being low grade and she said he didn't have one at Dr. this morning. But she did give him Ibuprofin. I just took his temp and he's fine right now. He's laying down resting.

This is what my sick policy says (I think I probably need to make it firmer?)

Children's Illness
Children may not attend daycare sick. Doing so can endanger very young babies that may be present and spreads illness to other families whose parents may have to miss work. Children with mild cold like symptoms and are otherwise feeling and acting well may attend. Acceptable symptoms include clear runny nose, slight cough, and a slight (under 100 degrees) or no fever. Unacceptable symptoms include, but are not limited to, diarrhea, vomiting, green or yellow mucus, pink eye, fever over 100 degrees, and lice. Cuts and scrapes must always be treated and covered before arrival at daycare. Full contracted payment is due even if child stays home ill.

If children become ill while at daycare, parents will be notified and must pick children up the same day. Symptoms must not be present for 24 hours in order to return to daycare.
SilverSabre25 06:02 AM 02-21-2013
I'm a wimp and you were all exposed yesterday so I would probably have rolled my eyes inwardly and accepted the child.
daycarediva 06:09 AM 02-21-2013
I would have accepted him, although I WOULD have asked for a dr's note with a diagnosis if I had known she was taking him in. A sinus infection isn't contagious, if he is able to participate and his fever doesn't spike, he could stay here.
TheGoodLife 06:12 AM 02-21-2013
Just a suggestion, I would add "unmedicated" to your last sentence- "Symptoms (Fever) must not be present for 24 hours, without the use of medication, in order to return to daycare." Also, did you ask for a Drs. note? I always ask for one if I know beforehand that they are having a sickness visit. Good luck keeping everyone healthy.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 02-21-2013
I have a clause in my policies that says any illness/condition requiring antibiotics means the child needs to remain out of care until they have been on the antibiotics for 24 hours.

It is just a safety precaution as even an ear infection causes discomfort for a child so I prefer they have a day at home resting before returning.

I also make sure my parents understand that if they feel their child needs medication (Tylenol/Advil) just to make it through the day, then they really shouldn't be in care and should be home resting. The same thing applies to Dr visits. If the child requires one, they shouldn't be in care. If it is just a routine visit, then they are encouraged to go AFTER daycare not before.
Meyou 08:15 AM 02-21-2013
I exclude for the first 24 hours on antibiotics as well.
rmc20021 08:40 AM 02-21-2013
I would also take out the part of where it says if the child becomes ill they need to be picked up the same day...that leaves them open to wait until the end of the day.
Tags:sick policy, sick policy samples
Reply Up