Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When your own kids won't listen.
awestbrook713 04:13 AM 01-13-2012
Ok so I have my licensor come once a month to help me work on my program, its something I signed up for. I have 3 boys of my own an 11 mon old, 5 yr old, and a soon to be 8 yr old.

The two older were the problems on wednesday, loud, hyper, not listening, just plain disrespectful. I was so embarrassed and felt like a failure. If I can't even get my own children to mind how can I expect my licensor to think I can handle others children.

I just don't know what to do. My boys listen to their father much better then me, I admit I tend to be the comforter in the family rather then the disciplinarian (sp?). Does anyone else have this problem?

My hours are 6 am to 5 pm and my boys go to school and then an after school program mon., tues., and thurs., so they are only here for 2 hrs wed., and fri., when I have daycare children. Then there is school vacations when they are here all day long.

Is it appropriate for me to send them to their room for a time out even when I have kids here or should I keep the discipline the same and just make them sit out here for a timeout? Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
Cat Herder 04:37 AM 01-13-2012
First, your Licensor should KNOW your kids will act out while she is there. Especially boys of those ages. No worries.

When my two son's gave me a run for my money I had them do www.time4learning.com , www.studyisland.com , or Handwriting Without Tears.

They were getting school support, but were also learning that playing quietly or being a productive member of the family was more fun.

Now, they had to do a minimum of 30 minutes of each (along with K12), everyday, anyway... so I bumped it to 60 minutes...then 90..... You get the picture.
awestbrook713 04:44 AM 01-13-2012
I will definately check these out, I'm just at a loss they listen to me just not as well when other people/parents are around and those are the times I need them to the most. Thank you again for the websites I will look them over this weekend.
melskids 04:45 AM 01-13-2012
My 9 year old still occasionally acts out when parents are here for pick ups. he likes to make his presence known. Sometimes he gets "banned" from the DC room and has to stay in the living room to play and sometimes he is sent to his room to play during these times.

Yes, he is my son, and yes, this is his house, but this is also my business and how I pay the bills. I see nothing wrong with him learning to respect that.
Cat Herder 04:48 AM 01-13-2012
Don't worry, what they are doing is VERY common.

They do it when they KNOW you really can't do much.

My teens still like to bombard me with requests (can I get a new book bag, ipod, pony, etc... ) when my mother is visiting or I am on the phone with a family member.

IMHO, It just means your kids are smart and adaptable....
Meyou 05:20 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
My 9 year old still occasionally acts out when parents are here for pick ups. he likes to make his presence known. Sometimes he gets "banned" from the DC room and has to stay in the living room to play and sometimes he is sent to his room to play during these times.

Yes, he is my son, and yes, this is his house, but this is also my business and how I pay the bills. I see nothing wrong with him learning to respect that.
ITA and I have the same rules and line of thinking for my 8 year old. She's not allowed in the hallway during pickups and dropoffs because she can't stay quiet or stop climbing the walls. ???
Tags:bad behavior, homeschool, k12, provider - family, provider - own child, providers own child, study island, time4learning
Reply Up