Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Close for Comfort
misol 10:14 PM 08-27-2010
Does anyone have an issue with a daycare family living in close proximity? A new family a couple of houses down from me wants to use me but I feel like they live way too close. Whenever they come and go they have to drive past my house. So I am thinking that I would never be able to completely relax and would always feel like I am being watched or scrutinized even though it's after business hours. I would feel like I can't sit on my front porch and have a beer if I wanted without them judging me. In addition, if things didn't end on good terms, I would hate to have to still see this family every day. Am I being dramatic or is this a legitimate concern?
SunflowerMama 03:21 AM 08-28-2010
I have 2 that live in the same neighborhood. I haven't had any problems with it and I actually love that they are that close in case dcgs are sick or if they forget anything (moms both work from home).
safechner 08:02 AM 08-28-2010
I have one and had one that live in the same neighborhood. It never bothers me at all. I really enjoy with one of daycare mother that I am watching her a year old girl. I used to watch daycare girl for 3 years and she is now 4 years old. Her parents and I are not getting along because they owed me soo much money. They cannot find anyone who will take care of their child because I reported them to providerwatch due to non payment and they still live in the neighborhood. Again, it doesn't bother me at all. I am sure you will be fine. Just give some time and see how's it going.
alyssyn 08:39 AM 08-28-2010
It really wouldn't bother me if they lived close by. A problem can come up with any family no matter where or how far away they live.
TGT09 09:28 AM 08-28-2010
Parents need to understand that after hours are after hours. I have 1 that lives around the corner (can see their house from our backyard). 1 that lives about 8-10 houses down. And another that lives like 2 minutes away. It's not been an issue so far.

ETA: We aren't close with any of our neighbors but talk with the one on each side...I would not do it if I were talking to the neighbors on a daily or weekly basis though.
Crystal 09:59 AM 08-28-2010
Many years ago I decided to never care for the children of friends, family, or neighbors. I learned that it just makes good business sense to never mix business with anything personal, and neighbors are very near your personal space...if things go sour, it would suck to have a neighbor that there is animosity with.
katie 06:13 PM 08-28-2010
Just started with a friend's son who lives 3 streets over. It works so far. The only issue is that she wanted me to take the older sa with major probs also after school. I had to try to say no gently since his bus drops off on my street! She is pretty good about letting me have my time when he's not here but she is my friend so there are times we see each other on the weekend. I just let her do the care of the baby if we are together. But she holds my baby too!
MyAngels 06:38 PM 08-28-2010
I did watch my next door neighbor's daughter, and one little boy just around the corner. I never really had a problem with them at all, but I did feel like it was a "little close for comfort" at the time, especially when the next door neighbor would come home from work at noon and not pick up their daughter until their usual time - for some reason this just bugged me no end.
boysx5 03:37 AM 08-29-2010
I always watched neighbors kids never had a problem years ago all the kids are watched were neighbors
momma2girls 12:47 PM 08-29-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I did watch my next door neighbor's daughter, and one little boy just around the corner. I never really had a problem with them at all, but I did feel like it was a "little close for comfort" at the time, especially when the next door neighbor would come home from work at noon and not pick up their daughter until their usual time - for some reason this just bugged me no end.
That would certainly bug me as well. I had a friend that had a neighbor, and she babysat for her children, while she was outside laying out all afternoon, this happened 2-3 times per week!!
professionalmom 09:03 PM 08-29-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Does anyone have an issue with a daycare family living in close proximity? A new family a couple of houses down from me wants to use me but I feel like they live way too close. Whenever they come and go they have to drive past my house. So I am thinking that I would never be able to completely relax and would always feel like I am being watched or scrutinized even though it's after business hours. I would feel like I can't sit on my front porch and have a beer if I wanted without them judging me. In addition, if things didn't end on good terms, I would hate to have to still see this family every day. Am I being dramatic or is this a legitimate concern?
As you can see from the replies, it's a mixed bag. I am of the opinion that this is YOUR business and you need to do what is within YOUR comfort zone. So who cares if you are being dramatic? If you are not comfortable with it, then don't do it. I, personally, would not be comfortable with it.

To some degree you are right about being in a fishbowl and being scrutinized for what you do after hours. For some reason, many DC parents expect us to be Mary Poppins or Florence Nightingale or Mother Teresa. We are not supposed to have the occasional drink or watch movies outside the PG rating, etc. So, I would be uncomfortable about having a client who was in very close proximity.
misol 11:53 AM 08-30-2010
You're right professionalmom. Thank you all for your answers. I am not comfortable with it so I will trust my gut and not provide regular care to my immediate neighbors.
Tags:parent neighbors
Reply Up