Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I give her another chance!?
Momof2Boys 07:35 AM 09-21-2010
I had an interview set up for Friday night at 6pm...she called about an hour and a half before and said she was having car troubles so we rescheduled for Sunday at 11:00. Sunday morning I had a gut feeling she wouldn't show, so I called her around 9am, and made sure she was still planning on coming over at 11:00, she confirmed she was. 11:30 rolled around and she was unreachable (tried calling her twice). I then received an email from her Monday morning in which she explained that she had a family emergency and was at the hospital until 10pm that night with no cell phone reception, and apologized for keeping me waiting on Sunday. She asked to meet sometime this week. So I said that night would work best for me and she said she'd email me when she got off work. I never heard from her...no email or phone call.

I have not heard from her yet, but am curious what you all would do if she sent me yet another email with an excuse for yesterday. I am not sure if I should give her the benefit of the doubt because it seems like she's had a string of bad luck, or chalk it up to lies and that she's obviously not that interested in meeting with me. Do I send her an email and try to reschedule again??
AfterSchoolMom 07:39 AM 09-21-2010
IMO, that's a preview of how she'll behave during the time that you care for her child. If she already doesn't respect your time, she probably won't ever. I guess it all boils down to how badly you need the extra money (which I also forsee you having troubles with, but I could be wrong).
seashell 07:53 AM 09-21-2010
I agree with Afterschoolmom. If you're desperate for the money and have no other options, give her a second shot, but keep looking and have someone ready to replace her if needed.
TGT09 08:01 AM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
IMO, that's a preview of how she'll behave during the time that you care for her child. If she already doesn't respect your time, she probably won't ever. I guess it all boils down to how badly you need the extra money (which I also forsee you having troubles with, but I could be wrong).
This is instantly what I thought. No way, no how. I'm sorry but even if there was a family emergency you can still go out of the hospital to make a phone call. This is utter disrespect and I would have ran out of chances 1 before you already are at.
tymaboy 08:21 AM 09-21-2010
I agree with others. Even if the interview does happen & you decide to take her on when they are in care it will end up being one thing or another & will never be her fault. Do you want the headache even if you need the money? If it were me I would cut my losses now, my sanity is more important then dealing with people like that.
missnikki 08:23 AM 09-21-2010
If you do consider taking her, I would give my contract a long, hard look... especially the stuff about notice for scheule changes, late fees, late pick up fees, no call no shows, etc...
If it's airtight, you can roll the dice on it and give the benefit of the doubt.
SunflowerMama 08:25 AM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I definitely agree with this!! I would chalk this one up.
MarinaVanessa 08:39 AM 09-21-2010
I would take it as a sign as to how the relationship will go if she were in fact a client of yours. If they are a no-call/no-show for the interview I don't try to contact them even by phone anymore. Actually I'm not shy about telling them over the phone if they miss an interview how I feel about them missing the appointment without even calling. It's disrespectful, and shows lack of courtesy. IMO it shows what they think of my time.

Maybe something did happen but then again car trouble, family emergency and now no communication? I don't think so. The way I see it is like this ... car trouble? Okay, it happens. She called and rescheduled then missed the appointment. She's at the hospital with no cell phone reception? They have pay-phones. Instead of calling you to talk to you she chose to e-mail you instead. Shows she didn't want to actually talk to you. You did the right thing and re-scheduled for a time that would work for YOU (at this point I wouldn't have). She said she'd e-mail you after work and then didn't. Point taken, my time is not valuable to her and her word is not credible.

If it were me and she called or e-mailed me I'd politely say something like "I'm sorry, I know you've had some trouble making it to the interviews but at this point I really don't think that we are a good fit for each other. My time is very valuable to me and although you've had some trouble a phone call would have been appreciated. The interview process is a way for us both to get to know and get a feel for each other and unfortunately the only first impression that I've had is our phone & e-mail communication and lack of it. Thank you very much for your interest in my daycare, I wish you the best of luck."

Maybe you'll save a little trouble for the next provider. Keep us posted.
Live and Learn 09:00 AM 09-21-2010
I am not sure my ego would allow another interview appointment! Unless she was an unconscious patient in the hospital she could have called and made the choice not to. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but come on.....three missed appointments? Really? I am afraid that this is a sign of things to come with her.
DCMom 09:05 AM 09-21-2010
Simply put, no.

If she shows up this time, great but even then I would be wary.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:33 AM 09-21-2010
I would be half tempted to schedule but not be home,...lol ,.. just kidding. lol. but,.... man Ive been where you are. I say no. Sorry, not happening.
thatgagirl 10:08 AM 09-21-2010
heck no. No more chances
WImom 10:25 AM 09-21-2010
I don't think I'd give her a chance. I guess if you really needed the money. But I'd let her know up front that she can not cancel or not show up again.
DancingQueen 10:26 AM 09-21-2010
I think she has made it clear how much she values your time.
Bizzymom1111 01:56 PM 09-22-2010
PASS! Not worth it! Keep looking! Good luck!
alyssyn 07:55 PM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111:
PASS! Not worth it! Keep looking! Good luck!
I agree!!!
Reply Up