Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Story corner?
Josiegirl 11:29 AM 01-07-2015
I have an extra twin bed I'm not sure what to do with so was thinking about creating a corner in my playroom, using the bed, covered with pillows and soft blankets. I've got a canopy that can hang from the ceiling that I would attach to either side to make it softer and flowing.
Do you see any down side to this?
Thanks!
Heidi 11:33 AM 01-07-2015
Well, I have mostly toddlers, so I could see them either jumping on the bed and hurting themselves (I'd probably not use a frame if I did it, which would lower it). They would also most likely try to hang on or climb the curtains, or twirl themselves around in them. My patio door curtains get a lot of redirection because of that.

If you have more older children, they could probably handle it.
Josiegirl 03:35 PM 01-07-2015
Uh huh, that's exactly what I was thinking too. As it is they try to use the cots for trampolines. Come to think of it, that's why the canopy is being stored in my basement, the crew I had would wind themselves up in it. Well, drat. And the reason why my sand/water table is down there too, because it became a diving off board. And why I sold my train table, because they'd jump off that too.

I just need a rubber room.
daycare 03:40 PM 01-07-2015
DItto on the jumping, especially if it is on the ground.

I used to have a small child size sofa and I could not clean it well enough to my liking so I replaced it with something like this..

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/Ae4ITas...vTL4vsSo-Vgsk/

instead of all baskets with toys, I put books on the shelves.
SignMeUp 06:06 PM 01-07-2015
What if you used only the mattress, so it would be low, and then looped the canopy fabric up/around so that it's inviting and pretty, but not reachable? And if you wanted some fabric component to be handle-able, you could keep some loose fabric squares (bandanas, chiffons, lace) with the pillows.

A few years ago, I had a very young group, and made a sort of window seat for mine with a mattress, a vinyl play mat below that, pillows on top, etc. I had a small area for board books on one side. All very home-made looking, but all soft, and even the babies could crawl up and look out the window. It was great, and I'll do it again when I have a young group.
TheGoodLife 07:32 PM 01-07-2015
Search pinterest for kid canopy ideas, and they are all GORGEOUS... and all I can think of is, how do you have a child that is not going to fall off/tear/break that?!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/501729214708292133/

But seriously, they had a few cute ideas that might work for young kids. I just searched "reading canopy". Most use bean bags or pillows, but you could adapt, I'm sure. I actually just did our spare bedroom up to give my 2 year old her own big girl room for Christmas so we can free up the nursery, and made a canopy frame on the wall around her bed- I'm in love with it! I'll have to try to attach a link- pics are not on my laptop yet.
TheGoodLife 04:36 AM 01-08-2015
Not sure if I uploaded it correctly, but here's a picture of the canopy frame I did in my 2 year olds room. She loves it- still talks about the time her older sister "broke her bed"- the valance came off of the 3M hook on one side so easy and so cute!

I also like the pack n play reading nook- I plan to make it for my older daughters' room but haven't done so yet. I love all the reading nook ideas out there, I wish I had Pinterest when I was younger

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/444237950715349413
Attached: image.jpg (61.8 KB) 
LK5kids 03:51 PM 01-08-2015
For many years I had a crib mattress on the floor with a crib sheet on it and pillows in my book corner. The kids never jumped or walked on it. Always sat. Can you just put the mattress on the floor? Yours would be bigger, maybe more temptation to walk on or jump on.
AmyKidsCo 04:10 PM 01-08-2015
ITA about putting the mattress right on the floor. It could be a jumping temptation, unless you nip that in the bud right away. It all depends on your kids - you can probably guess how they'd react.
Josiegirl 02:43 AM 01-09-2015
Thanks all! I think I might give it a try and see how it goes. I anticipate they'll get crazy, I'll warn them, they'll either a) listen and be able to keep it or b) not listen and lose it. Maybe eventually they'll learn that if they don't listen they reap the consequences.
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 01-09-2015
By the way, every single time I follow a Pinterest link, the aliens warp time right out of my brain cells! Not sure what happens but poof! It disappears!
Reply Up